FG Registers New Trade Union 

The Federal Government has registered a new trade union. This means that illegal price fixing and exploitation of customers in Nigerian markets may soon be a thing of the past. These are some of the roles members of the newly registered National Union of Market Trade of Nigeria are to perform as workers. At its executive inauguration, officials of both the Ministry of Labour and Employment, and, the Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC however told the new union to avoid clashes with related workers groups and government established agencies in the market. The National Union of Market Trade of Nigeria is the latest affiliate of the NLC and with this latest addition, the labour centre now has 46 affiliates.

Nigeria Police Reacts To Reports Of Packing Lagos State Residents In Buses To Osun

The Nigeria Police Force, Lagos State Command on Saturday claimed that it was not aware nor were its operatives involved in packing some residents of the state to Osun State.  Reports emerged on Saturday on how the Nigeria Police Force in conjunction with the Lagos State Task Force packed hundreds of residents and young people from the streets of the state on Friday and dumped them in Osun State.  One of the youths who said he was taken away by the Nigerian policemen at his place of work on Friday afternoon narrated his ordeal. He had said the law enforcement agents packed young people from Ajah, TBS and Island areas of the state and gathered them inside an uncompleted building at the Makoko police station before moving them to a forest in Ilesha town in Osun State. He had said there were about five luxurious buses filled with the youths that were taken to Osun State in the company of policemen.  Reacting to this in a press statement issued on X, the state command spokesman, Benjamin Hundeyin claimed the force was not aware of the operation. The statement reads: “Following news making the rounds that the “Nigerian Police…Pack Residents…to Osun,” the Lagos State Police Command wishes to clarify that it is not aware, neither was it part, of any such operation. “The command, in keeping with its mandates of prevention and detection of crime, conducts raids of black spots from time to time, and promptly arraigns only culpable suspects in courts of competent jurisdiction in the state after a thorough screening of the people raided. “The Commissioner of Police, Lagos State Command, Adegoke Fayoade, assures the good people of Lagos State that the command would continue to prioritise their safety and security at all times.” 

TCN Transfers Market and System Functions to Newly Established Entity

In a bid to revitalize Nigeria’s power sector, President Bola Tinubu, in collaboration with the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC), has introduced sweeping reforms by unveiling the Nigerian Independent System Operator of Nigeria Limited (NISO). This significant restructuring marks a pivotal moment for the country’s energy landscape. The decision was formalized through an official order signed by TCN’s Chairman, Mr. Sanusi Garba, and Vice Chairman, Mr. Muslim Oseni, in Abuja on Saturday. Under the directives outlined in the order, TCN will undergo a comprehensive transfer of all market and system operation functions to the newly established NISO. This realignment of responsibilities is in accordance with the stipulations set forth in the Electricity Act 2023, aimed at providing a more streamlined approach to the management of Nigeria’s power infrastructure. Previously, TCN held critical licenses, including Transmission Service Provider (TSP) and System Operations (SO) licenses issued by NERC. With the inception of NISO, TCN will divest its market and system operation assets and liabilities to the newly formed entity, allowing for a sharper focus on its core transmission functions. To facilitate this transition, the Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE) has been tasked with overseeing the incorporation of a private company limited by shares under the provisions of the Companies and Allied Matters Act (CAMA) by May 31. This entity, named the Nigerian Independent System Operator of Nigeria Limited (NISO), will assume full responsibility for market and system operation functions as outlined in the Electricity Act and TCN’s system operation license. NISO’s mandate encompasses the efficient management of assets and liabilities associated with market and system operations on behalf of market participants and consumer groups. Furthermore, the newly established ISO will play a crucial role in negotiating contracts for ancillary services with independent power producers and generation licensees, ensuring the stability and reliability of Nigeria’s national grid.

Tinubu Speaks On Wage Award, New Minimum Wage In Workers Day Message

A new Nigeria needs cooperation of all and sundry -Tinubu

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has extended his warmest felicitations to Nigerian workers on the occasion of Workers’ Day, a celebration held annually to honor the contributions of the nation’s workforce. In a statement on Wednesday signed by Tinubu’s Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Ajuri Ngelale, the President praised Nigerian workers for their unwavering dedication to the country’s progress and development, acknowledging their tireless efforts and patriotic zeal in keeping the nation’s engine running. President Tinubu specifically recognized the vital roles played by workers across various sectors, including clerical officers, security personnel, teachers, doctors, and all others who work diligently to keep the country thriving. He reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to enhancing the welfare of all workers, highlighting initiatives such as the wage award and the forthcoming minimum wage review. The President emphasized that fair compensation and improved working conditions are essential for the nation’s workforce, stating that “a labourer is deserving of not just any reward but fair and commensurate wages.” He assured workers of his dedication to not only improving their welfare but also providing the necessary tools for them to succeed. Tinubu wished Nigerian workers a happy May Day celebration, acknowledging their invaluable contributions to the nation’s growth and development.

NLC Kicks Against FG Salary Increment For Civil Servants

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has kicked against the increase in the salary for civil servants on the remaining six Consolidated Salary Structures. The Bola Tinubu government, on Tuesday, approved an increase of between 25 per cent and 35 per cent in salary for civil servants on the remaining six Consolidated Salary Structures. A statement signed by the Head of Press of the National Salaries, Incomes and Wages Commission (NSIWC), Emmanuel Njoku said the increases take effect from 1st January 2024. The statement said the Salary Structures included are the Consolidated Public Service Salary Structure (CONPSS), Consolidated Research and Allied Institutions Salary Structure (CONRAISS), Consolidated Police Salary Structure (CONPOSS), Consolidated Para-military Salary Structure (CONPASS), Consolidated Intelligence Community Salary Structure (CONICCS) and Consolidated Armed Forces Salary Structure (CONAFSS). Reacting to the development in a chat with ThisDay on Tuesday, the NLC spokesman, Comrade Benson Upah said the gesture should be extended to all the categories of Civil Servants. He said although details of the government’s statement have not been formally received by the NLC, the pay rise was for certain categories of workers in the public service. Upah said the salary increase is a welcome development and that the government should ensure that the margin is reflective of the harsh economic situation in the country. He said: “I am yet to see the details of the statement but from what I heard, those affected by the pay rise are from the specialized Service.  “These categories of workers are already in the privileged sector but we expect it to be extended also to other categories of Civil Servants who are in lower cadre and are vulnerable”. The labour leader also lamented the dire situation where even basic necessities such as transportation, education and healthcare had become unaffordable for Nigerian workers. He said workers are currently seeking a return to better days, with a better life, better electricity, better infrastructure and enhanced salary.

Nigerian Government Offers Free Ride On Port Harcourt-Aba Railway 

The Nigerian Federal Government has announced a generous initiative, offering free passenger train rides on the recently rehabilitated Port Harcourt to Aba railway line. Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Transport, Oloruntola Oluremi, revealed the news on Tuesday night. The complimentary rides will be available for four days, from May 1 to May 4. Departures from Port Harcourt are scheduled for 8 am daily, with return trips from Aba at 3 pm. Full commercial operations will resume on May 7. This announcement follows the inauguration of the Port Harcourt-Aba rail line by Minister Senator Said Alkali earlier in the week. Alkali emphasized that such endeavors reflect the government’s commitment to enhancing trade and mobility across the nation. The statement reads, “There will be a free train ride between Port-Harcourt and Aba on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th of May 2024. “The train will be departing Port-Harcourt everyday by 8am for Aba. It will also be departing Aba every day for Port -Harcourt by 3pm. Full commercial operations resume on Tuesday 7th May 2024″.

Tinubu condoles victims of Ogun gas explosion

President Bola Tinubu has sympathised with the victims of the gas explosion which occurred at Ita-Oshin, Abeokuta North Local Government Area of Ogun State on Sunday, April 28. This was contained in a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Ajuri Ngelale, on Tuesday, April 30. The statement reads: “President Bola Tinubu extends his deepest sympathies to the victims of the gas explosion at Ita-Oshin, Abeokuta North Local Government Area of Ogun State. “The explosion from a solitary gas truck rippled through the community, resulting in the loss of life and property last Saturday. “The President also sympathizes with the Ogun State Government and residents of the state over this tragedy. “President Tinubu commends Governor Dapo Abiodun on his valiant efforts to arrest the situation and immediately restore calm to the community. “The President assures the people of Ogun State, particularly the victims of this harrowing incident, of his fervent support in this moment of grief.”

Tinubu govt lacks the capacity to tackle Nigeria’s economic challenge – Suswam

Former Governor of Benue State, Gabriel Suswam, said the government of President Bola Tinubu can not change Nigeria’s economic fortunes. Suswam made this statement in an interview on Channels Television. He said the Tinubu administration can not take the country out of the economic woe inflicted by his predecessor Muhammadu Buhari. “Well, it’s rather unfortunate right from the Buhari Government where the mantra of ‘Change’ was the singsong. Unfortunately, people didn’t ask what kind of change he was bringing into governance. Is it positive change or negative change? “What we experienced under those eight years were what dovetailed into what we’re experiencing today because whatever foundation that was built by the PDP was completely destroyed by that (Buhari) government. “We now began a journey to the abyss. The state of the nation, economically, is nothing to talk about, it’s unfortunate that the current (Tinubu) leadership does not have what it takes to change the economic fortunes of this country,” he said. According to him, the removal of petrol subsidy, floating of the naira, and an increase in electricity tariff, among other policies, is evident that the government is out to make things worse for the Nigerian masses.

Ensure reforms guarantee wellbeing of Nigerians, economic growth -Tinubu

President Bola Tinubu has tasked the judiciary to ensure that justice sector reforms will guarantee the well-being of Nigerians and the economic growth of the country. He said this while declaring open, a 2-day National Summit on Justice 2024, organized by the Federal Ministry of Justice, in collaboration with the Nigerian Bar Association and the National Judicial Council. The President was represented by Vice President Kashim Shettima at the summit holding at the National Judicial Institute, Abuja. He said justice sector leaders and professionals need to find the right responses to the challenges we face through policy innovation, citizen-centered reform, systems change, and legislative reform, where necessary. Further in his speech, Tinubu insisted that the country needs judicial reforms that would enhance a functional justice delivery system that will aid a fast growing economy, guarantee basic human and political rights of individuals as well as provide security and justice to all Nigerians. He tasked the judiciary to align its activities within the tenets of his administration’s Renewed Hope Agenda, particularly as they relate “to the priorities on inclusivity, fairness, rule of law, and anti-corruption stance, among other things”. In accordance with his administration’s pledge to be impartial and adhere to constitutional principles, Tinubu said the National Justice Summit will avail institutions in the justice sector “with an opportunity to push boundaries by identifying needed system changes and critical reforms that would allow Nigerians to reap the benefits of huge investments in the sector.” He said much is achievable when institutions of government, including the Executive, Legislature and Judiciary, unite to acknowledge their challenges and brainstorm with a view to proffering solutions to the problems bedeviling Nigeria. “I accordingly urge the leadership of all justice sector institutions to seek a new direction and focus on outcomes by creating a justice system that truly responds to the needs of our citizens – one that serves Nigerians now and for generations to come. “I demand informed and coordinated responses to the identified challenges plaguing the effectiveness and efficiency of the sector. “I demand performance so that Nigerians can feel and acknowledge the impact of your reform efforts. “Ultimately, the expectations are that law and justice should aim to ensure public safety, economic development, peaceful co-existence, and the well-being of our people” Tinubu stated. The Vice President said President Tinubu’s administration is determined to implement its policies and promises made to Nigerians for a renewed hope, through the instrumentality of the “law and the dictates of justice to create opportunities for our people”. While highlighting the preliminary measures he took in order to reposition the Judiciary in an effort to aid a just and rules-based Nigeria, President Tinubu recollected his administration made funding for the Judiciary a top priority, doubling it in the Renewed Hope budget 2024 by more that 100 per cent from last year’s budget. More so, Tinubu stated that in his administration efforts to reposition the judiciary, the Supreme Court of Nigeria now has a full complement of 21 Justices as required by law for the first time after many years. In addition, the President said he has made approval for a substantial increase in the salaries and emoluments of judges, which is currently undergoing legislative action. However, inspite of these progresses being made in the justice sector, Tinubu said there “is an urgent need for a functional justice system capable of supporting a rapidly growing economy, guaranteeing basic human and political rights of individuals, and providing security and justice to all.” In his welcome address, the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Prince Lateef Fagbemi SAN, said the national summit seeks to address critical challenges in the justice sector. The AGF hinted that the summit will address the significant challenges plaguing Nigeria’s justice sector and pave the way for the much-needed reforms that will make justice more accessible to all Nigerians. One of the summit’s goals according to Fagbemi, is to review, validate, and adopt the revised National Policy on Justice 2024-2028 to drive prison reforms, access to justice for the average Nigerian, as well as the review of electoral laws and procedures in handling election related cases, among several other reforms. The summit, the Justice Minister said, will deliberate on draft legislations proposed to address specific identified challenges within the justice sector, relating to the judicial appointments process, administration, funding and budgeting for the judiciary, the elimination of delays and inefficiencies in justice delivery and to evolve ways to reduce the amount of time for adjudication of cases, eliminate some of the associated technicalities, and reduce the number of cases getting to the Supreme Court.

FG Suspends Dana Air operations after Lagos airport incident

The Minister of Aviation, Festus Keyamo, has suspended Dana Airline operations due to concerns surrounding the safety and financial viability of their operations. The ministry, through the Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority, suspended the airline’s operations in the country, until a comprehensive audit is conducted. This was contained in a statement titled ‘Immediate suspension of Dana Airline pending safety and financial health audit’, signed by the Ministry’s Permanent Secretary, Dr Emmanuel Meribole. An aircraft belonging to the airline, with registration number 5N BKI, skidded off the runway at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos on Tuesday morning. The aircraft, which flew from Abuja to Lagos, skidded off the runway in an attempt to land. No casualty was recorded. The statement, directed to the Director General of NACA, called for the suspension of the airline’s fleet until after an audit is completed. “As the supervisor overseeing our nation’s aviation safety and regulatory compliance, it has come to the Honourable Minister’s attention that recent incidents involving DANA AIRLINE have raised serious concerns regarding both the safety and financial viability of their operations. “In light of these incidents and with the paramount priority being the safety and well-being of our citizens and travellers, the Honourable Minister has directed that you immediately initiate the suspension of Dana Airline’s fleet until a comprehensive audit can be conducted,” the statement read. Meribole stated that the audit should encompass all aspects of safety protocols, maintenance procedures, and financial health to ensure full compliance with aviation regulations.