FG To Offer Nigerians 2 Months Free Rides On Abuja Light Rail

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has disclosed plans by the federal government to offer Nigerians two months of free rides on the Abuja light rail service. Speaking on Thursday in Abuja at the ministerial press briefing reviewing the one-year performance of President Bola Tinubu’s administration, Wike disclosed that the Abuja light rail would be commissioned by the President on Monday. He added that the free ride would commence on Tuesday after the inauguration on Monday. According to Wike, this is part of President Tinubu’s renewed hope agenda for the residents of the FCT and its environments. “For those who are saying that the rail system had already been commissioned, don’t make a mistake. What was earlier commissioned was the building. What we want to commission on Monday is commercial operations. “If you are going to the airport, from here to airport is 20 minutes. Seeing is believing. Go on Tuesday. We are going to allow for free rides for two months. You know, Mr. President, he can even say extend it to six months just to reduce the pain of our people. That is renewed hope agenda. When you say something, you do it,” Wike said.

Ex President Jonathan Sends Warning To Wike, Fubara As Rivers Crisis Thickens 

Former President Goodluck Jonathan has intervened in the escalating political tensions in Rivers State, urging Governor Siminalayi Fubara and his predecessor, now Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja, Nyesom Wike to prioritize collaboration for the state’s progress.  Jonathan made the plea during the commencement of the N222.1 billion Trans-Kalabari Road construction, stressing the need for unity and cooperation among state leaders. Speaking at the project inauguration, Jonathan expressed concern over the heightened political tensions in Rivers State, noting that such discord hinders the state’s growth and development.  He urged Governor Fubara and Minister Wike to work together to alleviate the political climate and focus on advancing the welfare of Rivers’ residents. “The political tension in Rivers State is becoming too much. If Rivers state is destabilized, the whole Niger Delta and by extension the country will be destabilized,” Jonathan declared. The former president, however, reaffirmed his commitment to supporting development projects in Rivers State.  He said the commencement of the Trans-Kalabari Road construction signifies a tangible step towards enhancing infrastructure and connectivity within the state.

Popular Abuja Market On Fire

A fire has erupted at Wuse Market Abuja’s bustling commercial hub, on Tuesday evening.  The fire prompted immediate evacuations and a swift response from emergency services. The cause of the inferno has remained unknown, but the rapid mobilization of firefighters and security personnel to the site shows the gravity of the situation.  The market, known for its extensive array of goods and services, experienced an abrupt halt in activities as traders and shoppers alike were seen fleeing the vicinity. This incident follows a tragic event on February 29, 2024, where a fire claimed three lives in a residential building within EFAB estate, Karsana District, near Gwarinpa. The fire reportedly originated from an explosion linked to a diesel drum, leading to a fierce battle against the flames by both residents and the Federal Fire Service (FFS). The current fire at Wuse Market has caused significant concern among the populace, given the market’s prominence and the recent memory of the EFAB estate tragedy.

FCT Police Arrest Notorious Kidnapper, Dahiru Adamu Whom Wike Placed N20 Million Bounty

The Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Command of the Nigeria Police has arrested a notorious kidnapper, Dahiru Adamu, who is part of the criminals terrorising Abuja and its environs. Adamu, whose real name is Saidu Abdulkadir, was arrested on Thursday by the FCT Police Command’s Anti-kidnapping unit when the operatives raided two kidnappers’ camps near the Nasarawa-Abuja border via Kuje area council at about 12am. Confirming the arrest, the FCT Police spokesperson, SP Josephine Adeh, in a statement on Friday, said on sighting the police, the criminals opened fire but were overpowered by the superior firepower of the Police. Adeh added that one Habu Yakubu and Isufu Abubakar, earlier abducted from Kwaita village via Pegi district of Kuje area council, were rescued unhurt during the process. The arrested suspect is the gang leader and one of the wanted suspects of the kidnapping syndicate paraded by the Police Command on 14th February, 2024. Adeh said: “Preliminary investigation revealed that the suspect masterminded the kidnap and killing of one Mr Sunday Yahaya Zakwai, the district head of Ketti village. “While effort is till ongoing to apprehend the other wanted suspects on the run, the Commissioner of Police FCT, CP Benneth C. Igweh psc, mni, wishes to reassure criminals in FCT that there is no hiding place for them. He equally urges residents to report suspicious activities through the following emergency lines ; 08032003913, 08061581938, 07057337653, and 08028940883; PCB: 09022222352.” The arrest comes a few hours after the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, announced a 20 million naira reward for the capture of the kidnapper.

Surge of Kidnappings: FCT Minister Summons Emergency Meeting

In response to the alarming surge in violent crime within the nation’s capital, Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has initiated a crucial emergency security meeting. Recent incidents involving brazen bandit operations, including the tragic killing of several residents, including a 13-year-old Secondary School Student, have prompted heightened concerns. Addressing the gathering, Minister Wike reassured FCT residents about their safety, emphasizing the government’s commitment to providing security forces with necessary resources to combat the rising insecurity. The closed-door summit, presently in session, brings together heads of security agencies in the FCT, key officials from the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA), council chairmen, and traditional rulers. Stay tuned for more updates on this developing situation.

Rivers Guber: Court Upholds Gov Fubara’s Victory

Rivers Guber: Court Upholds Gov Fubara's Victory

The Appeal Court in Lagos State has reaffirmed Governor Siminalayi Fubara of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) as the validly elected governor of Rivers State.  This decision came as the court dismissed a petition filed by the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship candidate in Rivers State, Patrick Tonye-Cole, against Governor Fubara and the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC). The court upheld the Tribunal’s previous ruling from October that validated Fubara’s electoral win, citing the withdrawal of the petition by the APC, the party backing Cole.  Despite Cole personally presenting the case in court, his petition sought to challenge the election’s outcome, alleging irregularities and misconduct in the electoral process.  However, the court’s decision supported Fubara’s victory based on the circumstances presented, further solidifying his position as the governor of Rivers State.

FCT Ground Rent: Wike Gives Final Warning To Defaulters

FCT Ground Rent: Wike Gives Final Warning To Defaulters

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Mr Nyesom Wike has given a final warning to defaulters of ground rent payments in the FCT, insisting that something would happen soon to them. Wike gave the warning when the leadership of the Nigerian Union of Journalists (NUJ), led by its President, Dr Chris Isiguzo visited him in Abuja. The minister said that “something will surely happen” contrary to the erroneous assumption that the ground rent directive was an empty threat. The FCT Administration in September published land titles of individuals, organisations, and agencies owing ground rent. In the publication, the FCTA reminded allottees of lands within FCT of their obligations as stipulated in the Certificate of Occupancy (C of O) to pay in advance without demand from Jan. 1 of each year. The FCTA had warned that a breach or failure to comply with any or all of the terms stated in the Rights of Occupancy shall be liable to the revocation of the title. The administration, therefore, advised all allottees, property owners, and beneficiaries of the sale of Federal Government Houses in the FCT to settle their outstanding ground rents or lose their titles. Wike assured the defaulters that he would match his words with action at the end of the grace period by revoking such plots. “The law has been there before I came. The only problem is applying the law. The Minister of State and I have the capacity and political will to do what is right. “You know Nigerians are funny, believing that nothing will happen. Something will happen. We can’t continue that way; we can’t. “We have given defaulters a final notice to go and pay and they said it is initial “gra-gra” (false bravery) but something will happen. “By the time we give the final notice, and you don’t pay, the law will be applied,” he said. He added that FCTA was able to save significant Internally Generated Revenue since the removal of the Administration from the Treasury Single Account, adding that the era of abandoned projects in the FCT was over. He explained that some of the hash decisions being taken by the FCTA was for the good of all in the long run, adding that the government would step on toes in the efforts to right the wrongs in the FCT. The minister pledged continued support to the media as critical partners in the development space. Earlier, Isiguzo commended Wike for his transformational potentials as exemplified in Rivers State when he was the governor. He also commended the minister for his media-friendly disposition and pledged the NUJ’s support through free and responsible journalism. He appealed to the minister to support the union’s capacity building programme, its forthcoming National Media Conference, and provide a plot of land for the construction of a Media Village in Abuja. The procedure for the payment of the ground rent is e-payment through the REMITA portal to generate a REMITA Retrieval Reference (RRR). Affected persons are expected to log onto the REMITA portal https://remita.net and click on “Pay TSA & States, then select Federal Capital Territory Administration. After that, select Abuja, Geographic Information Systems and choose the revenue head to be paid which in this case is FCC Ground Rent. Fill the required information, submit, and print the RRR slip, after which payment can be made in any commercial bank. 

FCT To Construct 30km Roads In 6 Area Councils –Wike

FCT Residents Get October 31 Ultimatum To Revert Land For Residential Use

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Mr Nyesom Wike, says a total of 30-kilometre roads will be constructed across the six Area Councils of the FCT. Wike, who stated this when Sen. Philip Aduda and Mr Zakari Dobi visited him in his office in Abuja on Wednesday. Aduda was the immediate past Senator that represented FCT in the Senate in the 9th Assembly under the Peoples Democratic Party. He recontested the seat along with Dobi, who contested under the All Progressives Congress but lost to Senator Ireti Kingibe of the Labour Party. The minister said that the 30-kilometre roads, five in each of the six area councils, would be concluded before May 29, 2024. This, according to him, is to decentralise development efforts from the city centre to rural communities across the area councils. “President Bola Tinubu had directed that at least five-kilometre roads must be constructed in each of the six area councils before May 29. “This is part of his renewed hope agenda to ensure that people in rural communities were not left out in the development efforts of the current administration,” he said. Wike commended the visitors for working as a team irrespective of political party differences to work for the development of the FCT. He promised to routinely consult them to tribute their quota in developing the city, adding that the FCT Administration would work with everybody that has something to offer. The minister explained that the establishment of the Civil Service Commission for FCT was part of the renewed hope agenda by removing every bottle next to carrier progression. He added that FCT was equally pulled out of Treasury Single Account (TSA) to encourage development in the capital city. “The goal is to rebuild the lost hope among residents of the FCT,” Wike said. Earlier, Aduda explained that the visit was to congratulate Wike on his appointment as Minister of the FCT and commend him for the good work he was doing. He added that the visit was also to thank Tinubu for appointing a son of the soil as a Minister and pledged their full support to the development of the FCT for the interest of all. “We are also here to commend you for the bold step in establishing the Civil Service Commission for FCT, removing FCT from TSA and establishment of. Women Affairs Secretariat to address women’s concerns,” Aduda said. 

Motorcycle Riders’ Union Seeks Meeting with Wike Over Members’ Ill-Treatment

Motorcycle Riders Union Cautions Nigerians Against Activities Of Impostors

President of the Motorcycle Operators Union of Nigeria (MOUN), Comrade Julius Oghenevwegba Bobi, has expressed the union’s firm stance against the ill-treatment of its members by various state governments and agencies nationwide. In an official statement personally signed by Comrade Bobi and released to the media on Sunday, the union decried the inhumane treatment endured by its members, emphasizing that such actions would no longer be tolerated. The statement reads, “We wish to bring to your attention the distressing reality faced by MOUN members who operate motorcycles across the country, enduring unwarranted harassment and constant confiscation of motorcycles. This situation is no longer acceptable to our union. As the National President, I am taking the initiative to engage in a dialogue with the government to address these persistent challenges, which have led to the unjust seizure and destruction of our members’ motorcycles, thereby rendering them jobless despite being law-abiding citizens who dutifully pay their taxes.” “We have received reports this week indicating that approximately 700 motorcycles were confiscated by government agencies in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja, in addition to similar incidents in various locations across Nigeria. This alarming trend, coupled with harassment by law enforcement agencies for extortion, has become an unbearable burden for motorcyclists in Nigeria,” the statement continued. Comrade Bobi revealed that he has taken steps to correspond with the current Minister of FCT, Barrister Nyesom Wike, with the hope of appealing to him to adopt a more considerate approach in addressing issues concerning motorcycle riders in the Federal Capital Territory. It is noteworthy that the Motorcycle Operators Union recently received its union certificate from the Registrar of Trade Unions, Mr. Amos Faloni. The National President emphasized that this development has empowered them to conduct their operations in compliance with the law, granting them protection from harassment and intimidation. “With this recognition, we are determined to fulfill our mission and vision while upholding our core values and representing the interests of our association,” he concluded.

Illegal Operations: Again, FCTA Crushes 470 Motorcycles In Abuja

Illegal Operations: Again, FCTA Crushes 470 Motorcycles In Abuja

The Joint Task Force of the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) on Thursday crushed more than 470 motorcycles impounded for operating illegally in the capital city, Abuja. The motorcycles were impounded by the taskforce during an operation that began from the Carwash Bus Stop, Lugbe, through Gosa, Bill Clinton Drive, Trademore Estate, Lugbe Junction and Kubwa. Over 400 motorcycles were earlier impounded and crushed on Aug. 31, during a similar operation for the same offence. Mr Obokutom Nyah, Secretary, Transportation Secretariat, FCTA, told journalists during the exercise that the decision to crush the motorcycles was in line with the provisions of the law. Nyah warned commercial motorcyclists to limit their operations to designated areas, stay clear of the city centre and stop constituting a security threat in the city. He explained that there are areas designated for different kinds of vehicles, adding that commercial motorcycles are only allowed to operate in the suburbs. “So, we encourage the operators to respect their boundaries, because if you cross the line, you will face the full wrath of the law,” he said. Also, the Director, FCT Directorate of Road Traffic Services, Mr Abdulateef Bello, said that the number of motorcycles operating within the city was outrageous. Bello said that the taskforce would extend its operations to night hours, adding that currently, between 200 and 400 motorcycles are being impounded on weekly basis. He added that the taskforce was considering arresting residents that patronise motorcycles as part of efforts to strengthen the level of enforcement. He advised residents against patronising motorcycles but should learn to walk short distances where possible, for their own safety. The director further advised those investing in commercial motorcycle business to have a rethink, stressing that the FCTA would invest its resources to curtail them.