Wike Sets To Launch Comprehensive Roads Rehabilitation In Abuja

Wike Revokes 22 Allocations, Offers 3-Month Devt Window To 21 Embassies, 168 Others

In a bid to enhance the state of road infrastructure in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, the Minister of the FCT, is gearing up to kickstart an extensive road rehabilitation and bridge repair project. The official launch is scheduled for Monday. Anthony Ogunleye, the Ministry’s Director of Press, made the announcement in a statement released on Saturday, emphasizing the significance of this initiative in improving the FCT’s road network. The comprehensive resurfacing project will target 135 roads across prominent districts such as Garki, Wuse, Gwarimpa, and Maitama. This endeavor is poised to breathe new life into these roads, ensuring their durability and improved functionality. The official flag-off ceremony is scheduled for 2 p.m. along Ladoke Akintola Boulevard in Garki II, Abuja. This marks a pivotal moment as it signifies Minister Wike’s commitment to driving rapid infrastructure development within the nation’s capital. With this initiative, Nyesom Wike aims to set a promising precedent for significant infrastructure improvements and a brighter future for the FCT’s transportation network.

Abuja Building Collapse: Wike orders landlord’s, as victims assess losses

Abuja Building Collapse: Wike orders landlord’s, as victims assess losses

Following the collapse of a two-storey building on Lagos Street, Garki Village, Abuja, on Wednesday night, the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Mr. Nyesom Wike, has directed the apprehension of the building’s owner. The incident resulted in the loss of two lives, with 37 individuals successfully evacuated and transported to medical facilities, according to a statement issued by the FCT Emergency Management Agency (FCT FEMA). During his visit to the collapse site on Thursday, Wike issued the order and emphasized the significance of accountability. Additionally, he instructed the Permanent Secretary of FCT Administration, Mr. Adesola Olusade, to cover the medical expenses of those who were hospitalized due to the collapse. Recognizing the urgency of the situation, Wike also called upon the Department of Development Control under the FCT Administration to swiftly relocate the affected residents of the community. He underscored the importance of collaboration between stakeholders and government officials, emphasizing their shared responsibility to ensure the well-being of all concerned. The aftermath of the building collapse has prompted a swift response from authorities, reflecting the gravity of the incident and the commitment to safeguarding lives and property. “This is what we are talking about; people just built houses without due diligence to minimum standards. “This is why cities are planned – forestall this kind of incidents. “I sympathise with those who lost their lives while the medical bills of those in the hospitals will be paid immediately,” he said. Earlier, the Director, Development Control, Mr Mukhtar Galadima, had explained that the area was unplanned and houses an indigenous community. Galadima said that the two-storey building was multipurpose and was for both residential and commercial use. The permanent secretary commended security agencies and some contractors who came out in their numbers to render support in evacuating the rubbles and search for more victims. Also, the Director-General, FCT FEMA, Dr Idriss Abass, said that relevant agencies had been on ground since the occurrence of the incident, to rescue the victims. Abass said that efforts were still ongoing “to ensure that no one is left under the rubbles”. Meanwhile, some of the victims, who spoke with newsmen said that they lost their investments and properties to the incident, and called for government support. One of them, Ms Glory Perekeme, who operates a restaurant and a bar at the building, said she lost about N5 million as she could not take anything from her restaurant. “I closed for business around 10:00 p.m. and was on my way home when I received a call that the building had collapsed and my investment gone. “I am still in shock; and I don’t even know where to start from. “I really need assistance. Government should come to our aid so we can start all over again,” she said. Another victim, Mrs Ann Anyi, who owned a laundry and sells shoes, said that she lost everything to the incident. “I have been crying since I got the news of the incident in the midnight. “I am just hoping that when the rescue operation is over, I will be able to salvage something from the rubbles,” she said.

Scandal rocks FCTA Park & Pay investment project

Scandal rocks FCTA Park & Pay investment project

*Original owners seek justice from Tinubu, Wike Trouble appears to be brewing in the Federal Capital Territory as an ongoing scandal involving the Park & Pay investment has sent shockwaves through Abuja, raising concerns about transparency and justice. Otumba Olusegun Olarewanju, CEO of Platinum Parking Management, and Iliyasu Abdu, MD/CEO of Integrated Parking Managers, who claim to be the pioneers behind the recently reintroduced Abuja Park and Pay project, are demanding fair treatment from President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and the newly appointed FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike. To attract investments from Nigerians in the Diaspora, especially in the Capital Territory, Olarewanju and Abdu assert that President Tinubu and Minister Wike should investigate the activities of top officials within the Federal Capital Territory. The duo allege that they were unjustly sidelined by the Adesola Olusade-led leadership of the FCT, despite having initiated the Abuja Park and Pay project. It’s reported that the former Minister of the FCT, Bello Mohammed, had upon leaving office, advised the Permanent Secretary to prioritize the pioneer companies’ right of refusal to ensure fairness and prevent the perpetuation of impunity. However, the Permanent Secretary and his colleagues allegedly disregarded this advice, moving swiftly to bring in their proxies and seized the concept developed by the original initiators. The situation is complicated further by an existing court judgment requiring the FCTA to pay damages for the abrupt disengagement of the two companies, causing significant financial losses. Olarewanju and Abdu detailed their journey, explaining that they returned to Nigeria as a response to then-President Olusegun Obasanjo’s call for Diaspora investments. They designed an “On-Street Parking Management” solution for Abuja, aiming to generate revenue and provide employment opportunities. “At the onset of democracy in 1999, the then President Olusegun Obasanjo invited people in Diaspora when we tried to romance with his government. He said we should come back home, bring all our ideas, and come and invest in the country. “This gingered us to come back home, and looking at the esthetics, the design, and the road network of Abuja, we came on board that we could do ‘On street Parking management’ on the streets of Abuja in other to generate revenue for the FCT and also to create massive employment for the teaming youths of Nigeria. “And we also had it in mind that one day the influx of vehicular movement in Abuja city will be uncontrollable. So, in other to have a plan in place was what necessitated us coming up with ‘On street parking’ project in the street of Abuja. “And we came with everything, we came with all our technical partners, we set it up, we did everything, and we tendered for the project. The FCT Minister later set up a technical committee to look into the proposal and here we are, we signed an agreement with them in 2010. “When we started, we put the entire infrastructure in place, synergies or what have you. We did all the line markings in all the roads of Abuja. I and my PPMS went back abroad and brought technical partners to set up all the infrastructure. We engaged thousands of Nigerians. “My company engaged over four hundred and fifty direct and indirect labour to start the project, same with my friend. We brought the state-of-the-art applications to manage the projects and start setting everything up, until one day we saw two companies that took over the street of Abuja saying the Minister said they should drive us away from the streets. “And then these people took over the streets, and then mayhem started; chaos, and pandemonium on the streets of Abuja. This was what led to Justice Peter Afe to place a suspension on the project because people sued us, they sued one of the illegal operators in court.  And when they suspended us they told FCT to go and get a proper traffic law to support the project,” Otumba Olarewanju explained. However, their vision was derailed by the actions of FCT officials, who allegedly favored their own interests over the original initiators’ rights. The two entrepreneurs stressed their demands: a return of their original zones for operation, compensation for incurred losses due to disengagement, and adherence to the arbitration judiciary award. “This is because as pioneers, and in the agreement we had with FCDA we have the right of first refusal. It’s in the agreement, and that agreement has been certified by a court of competent jurisdiction, so our agreement is valid and subsisting and anything contrary to that is against the law. And number two, the arbitrary award is a legal thing that nobody can wish away except the court of competent jurisdiction. Since they have gone to the High Court, the high court could not set it aside; the Court of Appeal court did not set it aside, and even the Supreme Court will not set it aside because arbitration has a time limit. If you cannot do anything within those ninety days that means it’s only God that can intervene,” he stated. Their plea hinges on their agreement’s legal validity, their certified rights of first refusal, and the binding nature of the arbitration award.

Wike issues stern warning to property owners distorting Abuja masterplan

Wike issues stern warning to property owners distorting Abuja masterplan

*Says, ‘Your houses must be demolished’ The new Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike has issued a stern demolition ultimatum to property owners in Abuja who have contributed to the distortion of the city’s masterplan. Speaking at a press conference in Abuja shortly after his inauguration, Wike emphasized that structures erected in violation of the city’s planned layout would face demolition, regardless of the occupants’ stature. Wike, formerly the governor of Rivers State, left no room for ambiguity, asserting that anyone who has constructed buildings where such development was prohibited should anticipate the dismantling of their property. He made it clear that this directive applies universally, extending even to high-ranking officials like ministers and ambassadors. He stated, “Your house must go down.” The warning also extended to landholders who have encroached upon designated green spaces to erect structures. Wike firmly declared that these areas must be reclaimed, emphasizing the significance of preserving natural green spaces in the city’s landscape. He emphasized, “If you hate green, you must hate yourself,” indicating his uncompromising stance on preserving the city’s aesthetics. Wike’s unequivocal message highlights the urgency of adhering to the planned urban layout and the imperative of maintaining green spaces in Abuja. As the FCT Minister, Wike seems determined to enforce orderliness and curb unauthorized developments that mar the city’s architectural integrity and natural environment.