Names of fleeing Niger inmates released

In a bid to expedite the recapture of escaped prisoners, the Nigerian Correctional Service has released the database of inmates who fled from the Suleja Medium Security Custodial Centre. The escape, which has raised significant security concerns, prompted immediate action from the NCoS. The released database includes detailed information about the inmates, aimed at aiding law enforcement and the public in identifying and locating the fugitives. A total of 119 inmates escaped from the Suleja Medium Security Custodial Centre, Niger State on April 24, 2024. The incident, triggered by a relentless downpour that caused significant damage to the facility, resulted in a breach of the perimeter fence, allowing inmates to escape. While ten inmates were re-apprehended on April 25, three more were captured later that same day. On June 6, 2024, the NCoS Spokesperson, Abubakar Umar who spoke at a joint press briefing of the security, defence and response agencies, at the defence headquarters in Abuja noted that 23 escapees had been recaptured so far. Umar also assured the public of the service’s commitment to releasing the pictures of the fleeing inmates to aid in their identification and capture. “I want to say hear that there is a concerted effort by the service to recapture fleeing inmates. I want to put on record that we have been able to recapture 23 escapes, so far. “I want to also assure you that we are working hard to release the pictures of the fleeing inmates.” However, as of Saturday afternoon, June 15, 2024, checks by our correspondent via the website of NCoS revealed that the service has published the details of only 18 out of the 96 fleeing inmates. The names of the fleeing inmates published include; Ogbonna Kingsley, Auwal Mohammed, Mustapha Ibrahim, Suleiman Sani, Raphael Kingsley, Abdullahi Babangida, Idris Bashir, Umar Mustapha, and Ayuba Obidience. Others include; Lamido Gambo, Garba Fidelis, Mohammed Jibrin, Sylvester Allison, Albert Israel, Edoga Okwudili, Olaiya Stephen, Audo Usman and Ibrahim Aminu.

BREAKING: Nigeria’s annual inflation rate rises to 33.95%

Nigeria’s annual inflation rate climbed to 33.95 per cent in May 2024, up from 33.69 per cent recorded in April, according to the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS). This increase marks a rise of 0.26 percentage points month-on-month. Compared to May 2023, when the inflation rate stood at 22.41 per cent, the current figure reflects a significant year-on-year increase of 11.54 percentage points, illustrating a sharp uptick in inflationary pressures over the past year. On a month-on-month basis, the NBS reported that inflation for May 2024 was 2.14 per cent, slightly lower than the 2.29 per cent recorded in April 2024. This indicates a moderated pace of increase in the average price level compared to the previous month. In terms of food prices, the inflation rate accelerated to 40.66 per cent year-on-year in May 2024, marking an increase of 15.84 percentage points from May 2023, when it was 24.82 per cent. The sharp rise in food inflation highlights continued challenges in food affordability and accessibility across Nigeria.

Minimum wage: I’ll approve what Nigeria can afford — Tinubu

President Bola Tinubu says he will approve a new minimum wage that the Nigerian government can afford.  He stated this on Wednesday at a dinner with the Senate President and Deputy Senate President, among other top government officials to mark Nigeria’s 25 years of unbroken Democracy in Abuja. The President, while appreciating those who stood by him over the years, promised Nigerians he won’t depart from the tenets of democratic governance.   “I have to celebrate with you my dear brother, Senate President, Deputy Senate President,” he said. According to Tinubu, Senate President Godswill Akpabio and his deputy, Jibrin Barau would soon get an Executive Bill from him on the new minimum wage. “The minimum wage is going to be what Nigerians can afford, what you can afford and what I can afford. Cut your coat according to your size, if you have size at all,” he said.

Multichoice Cries Out As 18% Of Nigerian Subscribers Boycott DStv

Multichoice Group, the African Pay-TV operator, has lamented the recent drop in the number of DStv subscribers in Nigeria. In the company’s financial report for the year ending on March 31, 2024, Multichoice attributed the 18% decrease in active subscribers of DStv in Nigeria to the country’s economy. It noted that the latest decline in Nigeria had a significant impact on the overall subscriber database, resulting in a 9% decrease for the entire year. The specific number of subscriptions in Nigeria was not provided, as it was combined with other operating units outside South Africa under the category of ‘Rest of Africa’ (RoA). Multichoice further revealed that the 18% decline in Nigeria contributed to a 13% decrease in the total active subscribers of RoA, bringing the figure down to 8.1 million from 9.3 million in 2023. “The group’s 9% decline in active subscribers was mainly due to a 13% decline in the Rest of Africa business as mass-market customers in countries like Nigeria had to prioritise basic necessities over entertainment, while the South African business showed more resilience with a 5% decline. “The Nigerian economy and consumers faced persistent challenges through FY24. The removal of fuel subsidies, sharp currency depreciation with the official naira halving in value, inflation climbing to over 30%, and higher emigration of the middle and upper class drove an 18% YoY decline in active subscribers,” the company said. Multichoice mentioned that this led to a decrease in Nigeria’s share of the Rest of Africa revenues from 44% to 35%. It was pointed out that Ghana experienced a comparable subscriber trend due to an inflation rate that remains above 20%. Additionally, Multichoice explained that, because of the difficult market conditions, the immediate priority for its RoA (Nigeria, Angola, Kenya, Ghana, and Zimbabwe) operations shifted from increasing subscribers to protecting profitability and cash flow. It added: “Several cost-saving initiatives were implemented, including scaling back significantly on decoder subsidies (-46% YoY or ZAR1.3 billion), and reducing selling, general, and administrative (SG&A) costs by ZAR500 million. These interventions enabled the Rest of Africa business to increase trading profit by 48% YoY to ZAR1.3 billion.”

My fall was prostration for democracy— Tinubu defends Eagle Square fall 

President Bola Tinubu has made a light weather of his fall at the Eagle Square during the Democracy Day celebration, stating it was part of the festivities.  At a subsequent Democracy Day dinner in the Presidential Villa, Tinubu humorously referred to his fall as a “Yoruba boy’s prostration,” generating laughter from attendees.  He playfully remarked on social media reactions, joking about confusion between “Buga” and “Babaringa.” Embracing the spirit of June 12, Tinubu described it as a day to celebrate democracy while paying homage in his traditional Yoruba manner.  Despite earlier dismissals by his aides of the incident as a minor misstep, reactions from Nigerians, including political rivals, varied from expressions of concern to playful jabs.

Senate Urges NLNG to Allocate $43 Million for Human Capital Development

Senate Probes 'One Chance' Victim's Tragic Death, Maitama Hospital Negligence

The Senate has directed the Nigeria Liquified Natural Gas (NLNG) Limited to allocate $43 million from the $4.3 billion Train-7 project towards human capital development initiatives. This directive came during an interactive session held at the National Assembly on Tuesday, involving representatives from NLNG, NCDMB, Saipem Contracting Limited, and Daewoo Engineering & Construction. Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, the chairman of the committee, emphasized the importance of compliance with the Nigerian Oil and Gas Industry Content Development (NOGICD) Act. According to a statement released by her chief press secretary, Arogbonlo Israel, in Abuja, Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan stressed the significance of transparent and effective utilization of the allocated funds to benefit Nigerians and enhance the country’s human capital development and institutional strengthening. Of the $43 million designated for human capital development, $25.8 million, constituting 60 percent of the total, is earmarked for learning institutions from public primary to tertiary levels nationwide. Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan highlighted the infrastructure deficits in Nigeria’s primary and secondary schools, citing a report by the Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC), which identified approximately 40,000 classrooms in deplorable conditions. She suggested that NLNG’s human capital development initiatives should support UBEC’s efforts to provide adequate educational facilities. Moreover, the senator pointed out discrepancies in reported figures for the NLNG Train-7 project. Depending on the project’s valuation, she outlined different allocations for institutional strengthening and various training programs. For projects in the oil and gas sector valued over $500 million, 1 percent of the project value is allocated to human capacity development and institutional strengthening. The Senate committee, in collaboration with NLNG and NCDMB, aims to establish a framework and select public institutions across the country to benefit from the strategic program. This initiative is geared towards enhancing the capacity of learning institutions, addressing the issue of out-of-school children, and improving learning structures in public institutions. The effective utilization of these funds is expected to have a positive impact on the country’s human capacity development and institutional strengthening.

Road accident claims 25 lives in Enugu 

A tragic road accident at Ugwu Onyeama in Enugu State along the Enugu-Onitsha federal highway has claimed the lives of at least 25 people. According to reports on Wednesday, the accident involved 10 vehicles, including both private and commercial buses. The crash is believed to have been caused by a Nigerian Army checkpoint. Many individuals with severe injuries are currently being transported to hospitals in and around the state capital. An eyewitness reported that a truck failed to brake and collided with multiple vehicles that had stopped on the hilly road, leading to the unfortunate loss of lives. A trailer traveling on the newly constructed lane experienced brake failure and crashed into more than 10 vehicles, both private and commercial. “The army checkpoint at that axis continues to claim lives. “More than 25 persons lost their life instantly and many rushed to the hospital,” one of the eyewitnesses reportedly said.

Suspended RCCG Pastor, Iluyomade Under Pressure To Start Own Ministry

Former Regional Pastor of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, RCCG, City of David, Region 20, Pastor Idowu Iluyomade, and his wife, Dr. Siju Iluyomade, have reportedly resigned as pastors of the church and are currently under pressure to begin their own ministry. The resignation followed his refusal to serve his three-month suspension and transfer to another parish in Ebute Meta.  Pastor Iluyomade was transferred from RCCG Region 20 following the controversy that trailed his wife’s birthday celebration when the church was mourning the death of former CEO of Access Bank, Herbert Wigwe. A new minister, Pastor Charles Kpandei has resumed as the new senior pastor of the region on Sunday, June 9, 2024. A source close in an interview with Vanguard said Iluyomade has resigned, but the governing council has not accepted his resignation letter. The source also said the Apapa Family, the RCCG arm working with the government and other public sector institutions, is trying to ensure that Pastor Iluyomade sets up his ministry. The source said: “Since he is serving a suspension, the resignation has not been accepted by the governing council. The council will not meet until August when the suspension will lapse. The church has an exit procedure for pastors of his calibre. “The Apapa Family group is believed to be an RCCG arm working with governments and other public sector institutions to establish charity projects in the areas of healthcare, education, infrastructure, citizens’ welfare and capacity building. “Whether it is for self-gains and desires just the way they influenced Pastor Ituah Ighodalo to resign from the RCCG and establish their ministries, only God knows.”

Aunty Ramota debunks BBL surgery rumour

Internet sensational actress, Ramota Adetu popularly known as Aunty Ramota, has debunked the rumour that she was in a coma as a result of an unsuccessful Brazillian Butt Lift. She made this known in a video that trended on Wednesday. In the clip, Aunty Ramota was seen eating and showing off her full body while claiming that nothing was wrong with her. Speaking in the Yoruba language to dispel the rumour, the small-statured actress said, “My lovers, thank you, nothing happened to me. This is my body.” Recall that some online platforms reported that the actress was wheeled into a recovery room in an unidentified hospital in the Ikorodu area of Lagos State. In a now-viral video, a lady who appeared to be Ramota was carried around by medical personnel in a yet-to-be-identified hospital. Ramota, who is known for her comedic roles, appeared unconscious in the footage as she was seen breathing through an oxygen mask. An individual claimed Ramota came for a BBL surgery that was not successful. “What is Ramota doing here? What has she come to do here? Why is she here? Do not call me into this kind of situation. Do not call my name. I am not here,” a voice can be heard saying. Another person in the video responded: “She came to do BBL. Yes. She is just here since after the operation they performed on her.” The rumours went viral on social media, stirring curiosity and concerns among her fans. Reacting to the speculation via Instagram, the comedian and on-screen ‘husband’ of Aunty Ramota, Ganiyu Kehinde, popularly known as Ijoba Lande, said he was unaware she underwent surgery. The skit maker argued that rumours about Aunty Ramota undergoing butt surgery and falling into a coma are “false”. “Please, Nigerians, all that they have been saying about Aunty Ramota being in a coma is a lie. She is not in a coma. There is no one I know with her that I could reach. And I did not intend to talk about it before, but anytime I came online, people kept asking me about the whereabouts of Aunty Ramota. “I thought it was real also when I saw a video of Aunty Ramota being pushed on the bed. I swear to God I do not know anything about it,” he said.

Presidency Reacts As Tinubu slips during Democracy Day Celebration 

The Special Adviser to President Bola Tinubu on Social Media, Dada Olusegun, has played down concerns over President Bola Tinubu’s brief slip while boarding a parade vehicle at the June 12 Democracy Day celebration in Abuja. The aide, in a post on his X handle on Wednesday, said, “Mr President missed his step while climbing into the truck at the June 12 Democracy Day celebration and tripped. It was a mild misstep. He immediately went on with the ceremonial rounds. No issues.” The aide’s statement comes after videos circulated showing the President momentarily losing his footing while stepping into the vehicle. Despite the slip, the President quickly regained his balance and continued with the proceedings. The ceremony at Eagles Square was a flagship event in a roster of festivities held across the nation to commemorate the country’s annual Democracy Day celebration.