Bayelsa Guber: Election Petition adjourns indefinitely as Sylva, APC allege bias

The former governor of Bayelsa State, Chief Timipre Sylva and the All Progressives Congress (APC), have passed a vote of no confidence on the Panel of the Election Tribunal sitting on a petition filed against the election of Governor Duoye Diri. Consequently, the tribunal adjourned indefinitely pending the decision of the Court of Appeal President, Mrs Monica Dongban-mensem, on a petition against the three-member panel led by Justice Adekunle Adeleye. At the resumption of the petition, Monday, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), were called up to open its defence, however, counsel to the petitioners, Mr R. O. Balogun, SAN, informed the tribunal of a petition and letter written to the President of the Court of Appeal and the Secretary of the tribunal, complaining of bias and lack of fair hearing. The former governor and his party, in the petition specifically asked the president to disband the panel and constitute a new one, adding that the petitioners still have up till May 28, for the expiration of their petition. They moved to adjourned further proceedings, pending the decision of the Court of Appeal President. Although, INEC, Diri, and his deputy, Senator Lawrence Ewhrujakpo, had initially opposed the request for adjournment, but made a u-turn, after the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), pointed out that it is the petitioners case and they can spend the whole year, arguing it. In their petition, they posited that record of proceedings obtained so far, showed that observations comments made by the tribunal suggested that they have already made up their minds to favour the respondents. They maintained that the record showed that the tribunal on its own made observation in writing to the extent that the pattern of writing witness statement on oath by the witnesses called by the petitioners are the same. The petitioners also said to have observed in the record of proceedings that the signatures of the witnesses are the same without calling experts, to establish so. While pointing out that the panel have already concluded that the polling units results tendered by the petitioners are fake, they submitted that it was wrong for the tribunal to make the observation on the record of proceedings. They said based on the above they no longer have faith and confidence in the panel and urged the panel to suspend further trial until their petition is resolved by the president of the Court of Appeal. Former governor and immediate past Minister of State for Petroleum, Chief Timipre Sylva and the APC, are challenging INEC’s declaration of Diri as the winner of the November 11 governorship poll in Bayelsa State. According to them, the electoral umpire denied them of votes in their “strong areas”, when it cancelled results in three Local Government Areas of Nembe, Ogbia and Southern Ijaw, on alleged disruption of the electoral process and diversion of electoral materials. However, after calling a total of 52 witnesses, out of the 224 lined up to prove their allegations against the election, the petitioners announced that they were satisfied with the prosecution of their case and would like to close it. Following the closure of their case last week, the panel fixed March 4, for the respondents to open their defence. However, the respondents could not open their defence due to the petition against the panel. INEC had declared Diri and the PDP winner of the November 11, 2023 governorship election in Bayelsa State, having won majority of the votes cast at the election. According to the Returning Officer, Professor Faruq Kuta, the PDP and Diri polled 175, 196 votes to defeat his closest rival, Timiprey Sylva of the APC who scored 110,108 votes. Dissatisfied, Sylva and APC had approached the tribunal to challenge the declaration of Diri as winner of the November 11 governorship election. The petitioners are asking the tribunal to hold that contrary to the position of the electoral umpire, election held in some polling units and winners declared at the said units, adding that it was wrong of INEC to disregard the results at the ward and local government level. It is their claim that if the said cancelled results were restored by the court, they would emerge winner of the November election. But the respondents especially INEC which conducted the election submitted that election in three local governments of Southern Ijaw, Ogbia and Nembe, did not hold due to incidents of alleged diversions of materials and disruption of the electoral process over alleged bypass of the BVAS machine. They had tendered the Form EC40G to confirm that there were no elections in the said polling units. In addition the respondents brought CTCs of results from INEC to prove that the results brought before the court as evidence that election held at the polling units were forged by the petitioners.
Recruitment: Police announce 17 CBT examination centres

On Sunday, the police command in Kogi announced 17 computer-based test centres for the 2022 Nigeria Police Force recruitment. According to reports, the command’s spokesperson, SP Williams Ovye-Aya, who dropped the hint in a statement, said the recruitment scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday was only for police constables. Mr Ovye-Aya said the 17 centres were released by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB). “All applicants who are invited for the CBT are advised to visit the portal to print their invitation slips and come along with them to the centres. Any applicant that doesn’t have the invitation slip will not be allowed into the CBT centre,” he warned. According to him, the recruitment is free and warns applicants to be wary of job scammers, who may want to defraud them. He further advised the applicants to shun any form of examination malpractice or any other act contrary to the rules for the examination, stressing that “this is key because anybody caught will be prosecuted accordingly.”
FIFA Debunks Introduction of Blue Card

After reports emerged last week that the International Football Association Board had signed off on the trials of introducing blue card to football, FIFA president, Gianni Infantino has rejected the proposed plan. It would have been the first time since the introduction of the classic yellow and red cards at the 1970 World Cup that a new card would be used in football. However, following an immediate backlash to the plans, Infantino has now told Sky UK such card does not exist. “Blue cards? This is a topic that is non existent for us,” he said. “If you want a title it is: red card to the blue card. No chance, no way.”
Actor Sisi Quadri Buried Amid Tears

Late Nollywood actor, Quadri Oyebamiji, widely known as Sisi Quadri, found his final resting place in his Iwo hometown on Saturday. The actor died on Friday while he was undergoing treatment at Ladoke Akintola University of Technology Teaching Hospital, Ogbomoso. The actor’s body, transported from Ogbomoso, arrived in Iwo on Friday, leading to an outpouring of grief. A large gathering of residents, colleagues, and well-wishers attended prayers held at an open field near his residence. Following the emotional ceremony, Sisi Quadri was laid to rest in front of his house in the Agbowo Area of Iwo. Toyin Olaiya, former governor of the Association of Nigeria Theater Art Practitioner in Osun State, and leader of the theater group Sisi Quadri joined in 1996, expressed shock over the actor’s passing. Olaiya disclosed that Sisi Quadri fell ill while working on a film set, highlighting the unexpected nature of his death. Olaiya shared, “When I heard of his illness, I told some of his contemporaries that trained under me to visit him. I was told he had been moved to a private medical facility in Iwo for treatment. I never thought it would result in death.” Sisi Quadri is survived by his wife and two children.
Binance Boss Summoned Over Alleged Terrorism Financing

CEO of Binance Holding Limited, Richard Teng has been summoned by the House of Representatives Committee on Financial Crimes over the allegations of money laundering and financing of terrorism. The Chairman of the Committee, Ginger Onwusibe, issued a seven-day ultimatum to Binance Holdings bossto appear before the committee by March 4, 2024. Recall that the federal government banned the major online crypto platforms to avert the continuous manipulation of the forex market and illicit movement of funds, while Binance, an online cryptocurrency exchange, was accused of money laundering by the Central Bank of Nigeria. Onwusibe warned that the committee will take appropriate measures if the Binance head fails to heed the summon. He criticized Teng for his persistent refusal to attend despite several invitations, highlighting the company’s apparent disregard for the country’s established laws regarding business and financial operations. The committee, under the chairmanship of Onwusibe, sent a letter dated December 12, 2023, summoning the Managing Director of Binance for a hearing scheduled on December 18, 2023. Onwusibe emphasized the committee’s determination to combat financial crimes, citing the authority granted by the Nigerian Constitution to safeguard citizens from such offences, particularly those perpetrated by foreign entities. He highlighted the urgency of protecting the nation’s finances, especially amidst economic challenges like recession, and underscored the seriousness of allegations against Binance, including terrorism financing, money laundering, and tax evasion. Onwusibe stressed the need to preserve tax revenues and prevent channels for funding terrorism while prioritizing the protection of Nigerian investors from exploitative practices by firms like Binance. He insisted on accountability for tax payments and the establishment of physical offices for addressing consumer grievances, signalling an end to exploitation and a commitment to holding perpetrators accountable. Onwusibe said, “The constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria has empowered us to protect Nigerians from financial crimes, especially by foreign companies. “We also have to protect and defend the country’s finances, especially now that the country is nose-diving into recession. The allegations of terrorism financing, money laundering and tax evasion, amongst others, levelled against Binance, are damning enough. “At this material time, we need all the tax dollars and to block the leaks and channels to financing terror. “It is also our duty to do everything in our power to protect Nigerian investors from predatory firms, and no distraction and manipulation can stop us. “You cannot run a company with over 10 million Nigerians on your platform without paying tax and having a physical office where Nigerians can lodge their complaints when they experience any challenge with your service. The era of exploitation is over, and all culprits must be held accountable.“
Why Your Offering Is Not Meant For The Church – Kumuyi

Doctor William Folohunso Kumuyi, the General Superintendent of the Deeper Life Bible Church, says Christians should not spend all their money on building churches but also help their poor neighbours who cannot afford basic life needs. Kumuyi who made the statement in a viral video while addressing his congregation, advised Christians against giving their offerings to the Church but rather give it to the poor and unemployed in their communities. He narrated how a preacher had instructed his members to give monies meant for offering to the poor and unemployed people around them. Kumuyi noted that it is good to build the church but while building, Christians must remember their neighbours dying of hunger. He said, “Look at all this offering we’re collecting, this church has silver and gold. I learned of a preacher somewhere who was having their church service. And he said, Now we’re going to collect the offering. If you have 10,000, N20,000, or N50,000, raise your hand, and they will be faithful. “Then he stood up and said that N10,000, 20,000, and N50,000 go to the poor in your community. All the offering is not just church, there are poor, unemployed people around. There are indigent people around. We will build ours, but while you’re building, your neighbours are dying. “Your neighbour, who does not have anything, your sisters, and your brother have nothing to send their children to school. We built DLICC (Deeper Life International Conference Centre) with all the offerings we could build. And we can now be at ease and allow our members to die of hunger and to be destroyed because they have nothing and we have the money. “And what if this church, like we used to do in the olden days, in the good old days that we reserve some amount of money for charity? That we allocate some amount of money for building DLICC, and the district church, and the people we’re building for are dying of hunger, malnutrition, and starvation. “Let’s budget part of the money, millions of our currency to take care of the people. Which one comes first when your house is leaking, and your mother is dying? How will you spend it—mending the leaking room or taking care of your mother? “We should give priority to members of our church, even those who are not members. We know them, and we can contact them. “We should not spend all our money on a building of a church that will not be raptured when Christ comes, because Christ is coming, he noted.
Binance Reacts To $10 Billion Fine by Federal Govt

Cryptocurrency exchange Binance Holdings Ltd has denied allegations made by the Nigerian government claiming it has been fined $10 billion for illegal operations contributing to the devaluation of the naira. The Nigerian government’s Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, said that the hefty fine was imposed on Binance as part of efforts to salvage the value of the national currency. In an interview with the BBC, Onanuga disclosed that the government’s actions were aimed at addressing the impact of Binance’s activities on the country’s economic stability. However, in response to these claims, a Binance official speaking to Peoples Gazette emphasized that while discussions were held with the Nigerian government to address concerns, no demand for a $10 billion fine was made. “We recently discussed ways to resolve issues with Nigeria, but we did not hear any demand for $10 billion,” stated the official. Furthermore, the official clarified that Binance is not currently engaged in negotiations with the Nigerian government to reinstate its services or release detained executives. Despite the ongoing dispute, the company said it remains committed to fostering positive relations with the Nigerian government and its citizens. However, it reiterates its firm stance against paying fines for personnel or services. “Our aim is to chart a good relationship with the government and the people of Nigeria. We want to see our services restored in Nigeria very soon, but we have no intention of paying fines for personnel or services,” the Binance official said.
Jose Peseiro Resigns As Super Eagles Coach

Super Eagles coach Jose Peseiro, has tendered his resignation. The Portuguese former forward disclosed this in a post on his X handle, formerly Twitter, on Friday. According to Peseiro, he concluded his contract with the Nigeria Football Federation on Thursday. The gaffer wrote: “It was a pride and honor to coach the Super Eagles. It has been 22 months of immense dedication, sacrifice, emotion, and enormous enthusiasm. “We feel a sense of fulfillment. “We would like to express our gratitude to Sir Amaju Pinnick (the president who signed us), President Ibrahim Gusau, General Secretary Mohammed Sanusi, Secretary Dayo Enebi, the NFF, all the Staff, and especially all the players, with whom leading has been a great pleasure. “Guys, we are thankful; it has been a privilege to be part of this family. We will miss you, but we will always be there for you, no matter where you are. “A big hug to all of you.”
Senate Summons Wike Over Rising Insecurity

In response to the alarming surge in kidnappings, the Senate has summoned the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, and Commissioner of Police, Benneth Igwe. This comes after the abduction and tragic murder of Chris Agidy, an aide to Senator Ned Nwoko, in the Galadimawa area of Abuja in November 2023. Senator Nwoko, deeply affected by the incident, sponsored a motion leading to the Senate’s resolution. The Red Chamber demanded the FCT Minister and the Police Commissioner to provide insights into the escalating kidnapping cases within Nigeria’s capital. Following an intense debate, the Senate mandated the Inspector General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, to enhance security patrols nationwide. Additionally, the installation of CCTV cameras along Abuja highways and the establishment of a three-digit emergency number for swift police response were directed. In a bid to bolster emergency services, the Nigerian Communications Commission was tasked to ensure the functionality of dedicated emergency numbers for the police, ambulance, and fire services. Senate President Godswill Akpabio emphasized the seriousness of the matter, stating that both the FCT Minister and the Police Commissioner would meet with the Senate in a closed-door session. The aim is to discuss the measures and strategies in place to combat the growing threat of kidnappings not only in the FCT but across Nigeria. Akpabio concluded, “Incidences like the kidnapping and killing of Senator Nwoko’s Senior Legislative Aide and other residents are worrisome and must be stopped, not only in the FCT but also in Nigeria generally.”
Bandits Invade Nigerian Mosque, Kidnap Worshippers

Bandits have abducted about 30 worshippers in one of the mosques in Tsafe town, the headquarters of Tsafe Local Government Area of Zamfara State. The bandits invaded the mosque around 5 a.m. on Thursday when the people were about to start the morning prayer. ”We were about to start the morning prayer today, Thursday when suddenly they (bandits) entered into the mosque and directed everybody to go out and follow them. “Everybody scampered for safety but the bandits blocked everywhere and warned us that they would kill anybody who tried to run away. “I was able to jump out of the window and ran quickly into one of the uncompleted buildings near the mosque where I hid myself”, an eyewitness, Garba said. Garba maintained that the bandits left their motorcycles far away from the mosque so that the worshippers would not notice their movement. “They came on foot, leaving their motorcycles outside the town so that they would not attract the attention of the people of the area. “They later marched the worshippers to their motorcycles and took them to the forest,” he added.