Tinubu Approves ₦90 Billion To Subsidise Cost Of 2024 Hajj

President Bola Tinubu has approved N90 billion to subsidise the cost of the 2024 Hajj pilgrimage for citizens. Vice President Kashim Shettima made this known on Wednesday at the inauguration of the 2024 National Hajj operation, held at the Sir Ahmadu Bello International Airport, Birnin Kebbi, the Kebbi State capital. He said the Federal Government had a major issue in announcing the final hajj fare for the 2024 Muslim pilgrimage due to fluctuations in foreign exchange rates. Shettima added that the government carefully selected men of integrity and records of selfless dedication to manage the affairs of the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria in the interest of Nigerian pilgrims. He said: “You may recall that this year, we had a major challenge in announcing the final hajj fare for the 2024 Muslim pilgrimage due to fluctuation in foreign exchange rates. “President Bola Tinubu also works round the clock to control the downward spiral of our local currency to bring relief to our pilgrims and other Nigerians. “A move that eventually succeeded in lowering the fare. The President approved the release of N90 billion to subsidize the cost of pilgrimage for this year’s hajj. “Due to this high regard, the government took time to carefully select men of integrity with administrative acumen and records of selfless dedication to manage the affairs of the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria in the interest of Nigerian pilgrims. “Government at the highest level monitors all arrangements meant for the well-being of our pilgrims both in Saudi Arabia and within the country before embarking on the journey. “We are aware of the provision put in place for the safety, security and comfort of the Nigerian contingent to the 2024 hajj of our pilgrims. “Indeed, it is through our collective prayers and individual contributions that our country will prosper.” Recall that Nigerian Muslim pilgrims who had earlier paid for a trip to Saudi Arabia for the 2024 Hajj demanded a refund after the country’s Hajj Commission instructed them to pay another N1.9 million in March. The commission had increased the fare for this year’s pilgrimage to Saudi Arabia by N1,918,032.91 while setting a deadline of March 28, 2024.
DHQ Declares Nigerian Terrorist Halilu Buzu Wanted

Nigeria Defence Headquarters, has declared Nigerian terrorist, Halilu Buzu, wanted. Director Defence Media Operations, Maj. General Edward Buba made the declaration at a media briefing on Thursday at the Defence Headquarters Abuja. According to General Buba, this terrorist leader settled in Subbubu Forest as well as lives in Shinkafi LGA of Zamfara State. He has a camp for illegal gold mining located at Kawayi, in Anka LGA of Zamfara State, and has a lot of boys working for him and also a prominent cattle rustlers. He revealed that last week his boys killed 19 villagers at Farar Kasa. He is a High Value Target and we hereby declared him wanted. Furthermore, he is a major arms supplier, trusted by arms dealers supplying arms from Libya. “We have been on his trail and whenever, we close in on him. He bolts across the border into Republic of Niger for refuge. “At this time, we are through appropriate channels calling on the Nigerian authorities, regional and international bodies to support in effecting his arrest to hold him accountable for his atrocities.
Reps seek regulation of house rent, activities of landlords

On Wednesday, the House of Representatives passed a resolution urging the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) to devise policies aimed at regulating house rents and landlord activities in Abuja. This decision stemmed from the adoption of a motion presented by Rep. Emmanuel Udo (PDP-Akwa-Ibom) during the House session in Abuja. The resolution emphasized the need for the implementation of monthly rent structures to foster an inclusive rental system and mitigate the arbitrary escalation of house rents in the FCT. Rep. Udo highlighted that Nigeria is ready for an inclusive rental system, which would alleviate the housing strain on working-class families and provide affordable monthly rental options for low and middle-income earners. He underscored that a significant portion of FCT residents, including civil servants and artisans, reside in satellite towns due to their limited incomes, making the current rent hikes burdensome for many. “One-bedroom self-contain goes for between N1 and N1.5 million, while two bedrooms go for between N2 and N3 million while three bedrooms go for between N3 and N5 million,” he said. This, according to him, is due to the current economic hardship for civil servants, who are already grappling with fuel subsidy removal, rising foreign exchange rates, electricity tariff increases, and tax or levies. He said he was convinced that the monthly rent would provide tenants with flexibility, better cash flow management, reasonable move-out options, and a stable income stream. He further urged the federal government to build affordable houses for civil servants in Abuja to reduce the burden of paying exorbitant rents. Adopting the motion, the House mandated the committee on FCT to look into the matter of arbitrary house rent increases in FCT. The House said that the committee should recommend effective policies to regulate the activities of landlords and report back within four weeks for further legislative action.
Death Toll In Kano Mosque Attack Rises To Eleven

Eleven individuals have now lost their lives in a devastating arson attack on a mosque in Kano State. The attack, carried out by 38-year-old Shafiu Abubakar, occurred during the early morning prayer at Gadan village. Reports indicate that approximately 40 worshippers were inside the mosque when Abubakar ignited the fire and locked them inside, preventing their escape. Rabiu Gadan, a resident of the village, confirmed the death toll, with eight funerals already conducted and preparations underway for the remaining three victims. According to witnesses, Abubakar had a history of violence, including previous assaults on family members. The assailant, now in police custody, confessed to his actions, citing frustration over an inheritance dispute as his motive. Despite warnings to his family to cease mistreatment, his grievances allegedly went unaddressed. While details surrounding the inheritance disagreement remain unclear, the tragic incident has left the community reeling, with injured individuals receiving treatment at Murtala Muhammad Specialist Hospital. Deputy Inspector General of Police, AIG Umar Mamman Sanda, expressed condolences and confirmed the suspect’s cooperation with authorities. Investigations into the incident are ongoing.
“You’re overstepping your bounds” – Imams warn Tinubu’s minister over stance on mass marriage

The Niger State Council of Imams has given the Minister of Women Affairs, Uju Kennedy-Ohanenye, a one-week ultimatum to withdraw her comments condemning the plan by the Speaker of the Niger State House of Assembly, Abdulmalik Sarkindaji, to sponsor the mass weddings of 100 girls of marriage age in his constituency, who are either orphans or their parents are too poor to fund their weddings. The Secretary of the Imam Council in the state, Umar Abdullahi, made this known at a press conference on Wednesday, where he warned the minister not to overstep her bounds. Abdullahi said the Niger Imam Council viewed the minister’s utterances as capable of causing a crisis in the state and the country in general. The minister had on Tuesday in Abuja condemned the planned mass weddings, saying it was a violation of the Child Rights Act. Kennedy-Ohanenye disclosed that she had petitioned the Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, to stop the weddings, adding that she had also filed a suit, seeking a restraining injunction against the Niger Speaker. Reacting, however, on Tuesday, the Niger Council of Imams warned the minister to steer clear of religious and cultural matters and face her ministerial assignment. The Imams insisted that no amount of court action would stop the wedding from taking place as planned for May 24. The council secretary said, “The planned weddings have the blessing of all the religious and traditional leaders from the area. The sponsor of the wedding consulted widely before accepting to take the responsibility and we are strongly behind him. “The girls are not underage and they are not being forced into the marriage as the minister has made the public to believe. This is what the minister failed to investigate.”
NEMA receives 150 Nigerians from Chad

The National Emergency Management Agency has received 150 Nigerians repatriated from Chad, following a voluntary repatriation facilitated by the United Nations’ International Organisation for Migration. The repatraited Nigerians consisting of 23 males, 48 females, 71 children, and eight infants, arrived at the Cargo Wing of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Ikeja, Lagos on Tuesday, May 14, 2024, aboard an Air Cargo flight with registration number SU-BUR. This development was announced by NEMA in a post on X.com on Wednesday The post reads: “150 distressed Nigerians have been repatriated back to Nigeria from Chad. “The Nigerians were assisted back in a voluntary repatriation exercise programme by the United Nation’s International Organisation for Migrationon Tuesday 14th May, 2024. “The flight Air Cargo with registration number SU- BUR landed at the Cargo Wing of Muritala Muhammed International Airport, Ikeja, at about 2030 hours. “The profiles of the returnees indicate that 23 males, 48 females, 71 children and eight infants arrived Nigeria aboard the flight.” According to the statement, some of the returnees demonstrated their joy for the success of their return back to Nigeria. Agencies on the ground to receive the Nigerians were NEMA, Immigration Services, Nigeria Port Health Services FAAN, and Nigeria Refugee Commission.”
Abuja property: Court rules in Abacha family/FG legal battle, June 27

The Federal High Court, Abuja, will on June 27, deliver judgment in a suit by the family of the late Head of State, General Sani Abacha challenging the revocation of the property of the former Military ruler in the Maitama District of Abuja. The suit was instituted before Justice Peter Lifu by wife of the late General Abacha, Hajia Maryam Abacha and her eldest surviving son, Mohammed Sani Abacha. The suit marked FHC/ABJ/CS/463/2016, have the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory FCT, Federal Capital Development Authority FCDA, President, Federal Republic of Nigeria and Salamed Ventures Limited as 1st to 4th defendants respectively. The plaintiff, through her council, Dr Reuben Okpanachi Atabo SAN, wants the court to nullify and set aside the purported revocation of the Certificate of Occupancy(CoO) of the property of the late General Sani Abacha located in the Maitama District. The Certificate of Occupancy marked FCT/ABUKN 2478 covering plot 3119 issued on June 25, 1993 was said by the family to have been illegally and unlawfully revoked by the defendants. In their statement of claims, the Abacha family said that the FCT under Nasir El-Rufai had instructed them to submit the Certificate of Occupancy in their possession for re-certification. They claimed that the 2nd plaintiff, Mohammed Sani Abacha promptly complied with the directive by delivering the Certificate of Occupancy to the FCDA and acknowledgement copy issued to him. While waiting for a new Certificate of Occupancy to be issued to them, plaintiffs asserted that Mohammed Abacha received a letter on February 3, 2006 notifying them that the Certificate of Occupancy had been revoked without any reason adduced in the letter. Besides the failure to give any reason for the revocation, the Abacha family alleged that adequate compensation was not paid as required by law. The family therefore asked the Judge to declare as unconstitutional, unlawful, illegal, null and void and of no effect, the purported revocation of the property. They sought order of the Court setting aside the purported revocation and holding that their Certificate of Occupancy is valid and subsisting having been revoked without payment of adequate compensation. According to them, the Certificate of Occupancy issued to the late Head of State was maliciously revoked without legal basis or justification The plaintiffs asked for an order of injunction prohibiting the defendants from taking any further step on the disputed revocation. Similarly, the prayed Justice Lifu to award N500M as damages to be paid to them by the four defendants. Meanwhile, counsel to the defendants, Dr James Ogwu Onoja SAN, in their counter affidavits and preliminary objections asked for outright dismissal of the suit. Among other reasons, the defendants claimed that the suit at the time it was instituted had become statute barred having not been filed within time allowed by law. Although, some of the defendants were not in court at Wednesday’s proceedings, Justice Lifu invoked the rule of the Court in adopting their processes already filed.
Labour Rejects N45,000 Minimum Wage

The organized labour has rejected the Federal Government’s offer of N45,000 as the national minimum wage. They stormed out of the minimum wage committee meeting on Wednesday. Recall that the organized labour had made a demand of N615,000 as the new minimum wage and had given the government up till May 31 to conclude negotiations on new living wage. The Tripartite Committee on New National Minimum Wage resumed negotiations on Wednesday. Representatives of the organized labour comprising the Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC, and the Trade Union Congress of Nigeria, TUC, were enraged over the government offer. Professor Theophilus Ndubuaku, who is one of the representatives of the NLC, said, “we asked whether the N45,000 is for transport, food, clothing, housing or for what. “So we just told them that since they are not serious, we better just leave, so we stormed out of the place.” He said that the government offer was presented to them by the Permanent Secretary, Secretary to the Government of the Federation Office.
Atiku criticizes Tinubu govt’s plan to utilize pension funds for infrastructure projects

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has voiced strong opposition to the Federal Government’s proposal to unlock N20 trillion from the nation’s pension funds and other sources for critical infrastructure projects. Atiku was reacting to recent remarks made by Finance Minister and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Wale Edun, after a Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting. Edun had said the Bola Tinubu-led government will unlock N20 trillion from the nation’s pension funds and other funds to finance critical infrastructure projects across the country. According to Atiku, the lack of transparency surrounding the initiative is alarming, adding that specific details regarding the utilization of pension funds, such as the percentage to be withdrawn, were not disclosed. He said: “He (Edun) provided no useful details, such as the percentage of the funds to be mopped up from the Pension Funds, for example. Even at that, this move must be halted immediately! “It is a misguided initiative that could lead to disastrous consequences on the lives of Nigeria’s hardworking men and women who toiled and saved and who now survive on their pensions having retired from service. “It is another attempt to perpetrate illegality by the Federal Government. The government must be cautioned to act strictly within the provisions of the Pension Reform Act of 2014 (PRA 2014), along with the revised Regulation on Investment of Pension Assets issued by the National Pension Commission (PenCom). “In particular, the Federal Government must not act contrary to the provisions of the extant Regulation on investment limits to wit: Pension Funds can invest no more than 5% of total pension funds’ assets in infrastructure investments. “I note that as of December 2023, total pension funds assets were approximately N18 Trillion, of which 75% of these are investments in FGN Securities. “There is NO free Pension Funds that is more than 5% of the total value of the nation’s pension fund for Mr. Edun to fiddle with. There are no easy ways for Mr. Edun to address the challenges of funding infrastructure development in Nigeria. He can’t cut corners. “He must introduce the necessary reforms to restore investor confidence in the Nigerian economy and to leverage private resources, skills, and technology.”
APC Suspends Jimoh Ibrahim

The All Progressive Congress (APC) has suspended Senator Jimoh Ibrahim, the Lawmaker representing the people of Ondo South Senatorial District of Ondo State at the National Assembly. He was suspended for anti party activities by some members of the ward executives of the party at Igbotako ward 2, in Okitipupa Local Government of Ondo State. The Executives of the Igbotako Ward II, in a letter after the end of their meeting, suspended the Senator for his actions and activities, which they said, violated the party’s Constitution. They also cited that the suit instituted by Jimoh against the APC, Lucky Aiyedatiwa, as well as his involvement in anti-party activities influenced their decision to suspend the Senator from the party. It would be recalled that after the primary election of the All Progressives Congress which produced Aiyedatiwa as the candidate of the party, Jimoh who is an Aspirant in the contest approached the court, seeking the nullification of the exercise. The letter read, “We, the members of the APC Exceutive Committee of Igbotako Ward (1 in Okitipupa 1 ocal Goverment Arca of Ondo State, convened meeting on Monday, May 13th, 2024, during our meeting, We deliberated extensively on various issues affecting the progress and development of our party, notably indiscipline and insubordination among some members, We have found Senator Jimoh Ibrahim’s actions and activities to be in violation of the party’s constitution, particularly his decision to sue the party as well as his anti-party activities As such, we have resolved to take appropriate disciplinary action against him as outlined in the party’s constitution. Senator Jimoh Folorunso Ibrahim is hereby suspended from the All Progressives Congress (APC) with immediate effect for acts of insubordination and anti-party activities In accordance with Article 21, Section A of APC Constitution”.