Finally, NNPP expels Rabiu Kwankwaso

The National Executive Committee of the New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP) has expelled Sen. Rabiu Kwankwaso, following his alleged refusal to appear before the party’s Disciplinary Committee. Kwankwaso, the 2023 Presidential Candidate of NNPP, had been earlier suspended by the party’s leadership at the National Convention on August 29 in Lagos. Recall also that the National Executive Council (NEC) of the NNPP set up a Disciplinary Committee and directed it to invite Kwankwaso to defend allegations of gross anti party activities and mismanagement of party/campaign funds within five days. The NEC had warned that, failure to appear before the Disciplinary Committee, Kwankwaso would be expelled from the party in line with the provisions of the party’s constitution 2022 (as amended). Consequently, Mr Abdulsalam Abdulrasaq, the Acting National Publicity Secretary of NNPP, said in a statement on Tuesday in Lagos, that the NEC had expelled Kwankwaso with immediate effect because of his refusal to honour the committee’s invitations. Abdulrasaq said: “The NEC met in an emergency session on Friday, Sept 1. and resolved as follows: “Following the refusal of Sen. Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso to appear before the disciplinary committee which sat on Thursday, August 31 after being duly invited in writing, he is hereby expelled from NNPP with immediate effect. “That the erstwhile presidential candidate, Sen. Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso will be reported to appropriate quarters to answer questions on financial impropriety relating to mismanagement of public funds.” The crisis within the NNPP started when the NWC of the party loyal to Kwankwaso, announced the suspension of the NNPP founder, Dr Boniface Aniebonam and the National Publicity Secretary, Dr Agbo Major on August 24.
Presidential Tribunal to announce verdict Sept 6, okays live broadcast

Putting an end to two weeks of suspense, the Presidential Election Petition Court (PEPC) has officially confirmed that it will deliver its judgment on Wednesday, September 6. This landmark decision comes after three petitions contesting the victory of Bola Ahmed Tinubu in the 2023 presidential election. The Chief Registrar of the Court of Appeal, Umar Mohammed Bangari, disclosed this important date in Abuja on Monday, putting to rest the speculations that had been swirling around the case. Bangari assured that the court is taking every measure to ensure a smooth and trouble-free delivery of the judgment in response to the three petitions. These petitions were filed by Abubakar Atiku, the Presidential candidate of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP); Peter Obi, his counterpart from the Labour Party; and the Allied People Movement (APM) under the APC umbrella. In an effort to maintain order and security, Bangari mentioned that stringent security measures have been implemented. Access to the courtroom will be restricted, permitting only invited members of political parties and the general public to enter. This approach is intended to prevent overcrowding and potential security breaches. Furthermore, Bangari announced that interested television stations would be allowed to broadcast the proceedings live, without any associated costs to the court. However, to ensure security and crowd control, certain restrictions will be in place around the court premises. A notable decision by the court was to reserve judgment on the petitions submitted by the Allied Peoples Movement (APM) and Atiku Abubakar of the Peoples Democratic Party, scheduling them for delivery on the same day as Peter Obi’s Labour Party petition. Notably, last week, the court refuted the claims that it had set September 16 as the date for the judgment, clarifying the actual date as September 6.
Tinubu Assigns Ministerial Roles: Wike is FCT Minister, Keyamo, Aviation, 43 others get portfolios

In a recent development, President Bola Tinubu has unveiled the designated roles for the 45 confirmed ministerial nominees. Notably, former Rivers State governor Nyesom Wike has been entrusted with the leadership of the Ministry of Federal Capital Territory (FCT), while Festus Keyamo takes on the responsibility of overseeing the Ministry of Aviation. Among the other appointments, Wale Edun will preside over the Ministry of Finance and serve as the Coordinating Minister of the Economy. Adegboyega Oyetola will be at the helm of the Ministry of Transportation, David Umahi will manage the Ministry of Works, and Betta Edu is tasked with the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Alleviation. This comprehensive list of ministerial appointments was disseminated through an official statement, which was made on Wednesday. The unveiling of these portfolios marks a significant step in shaping the administration’s leadership and key decision-making in various sectors. See the full list below: Minister of Communications, Innovation and Digital Economy, Bosun Tijani Minister of State, Environment and Ecological Management, Ishak Salaco Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy Wale Edun Minister of Marine and Blue Economy, Bunmi Tunji Minister of Power, Adedayo Adelabu Minister of State, Health and Social Welfare, Tunisia Alausa Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Dele Alake Minister of Tourism, Lola Ade-John Minister of Transportation, Adegboyega Oyetola Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, Doris Anite Minister of Innovation Science and Technology, Uche Nnaji Minister of State, Labour and Employment, Nkiruka Onyejeocha Minister of Women Affairs, Uju Kennedy Minister of Works, David Umahi Minister of Aviation and Aerospace Development, Festus Keyamo Minister of Youth, Abubakar Momoh Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Alleviation, Betta Edu Minister of State, Gas Resources, Ekperikpe Ekpo Minister of State, Petroleum Resources, Heineken Lokpobiri Minister of Sports Development, John Enoh Minister of Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike Minister of Art, Culture and the Creative Economy, Hannatu Musawa Minister of Defence, Mohammed Badaru Minister of State Defence, Bello Matawalle Minister of State Education, Yusuf T. Sunumu Minister of Housing and Urban Development, Ahmed M. Dangiwa Minister of State, Housing and Urban Development, Abdullah T. Gwarzo Minister of Budget and Economic Planning, Atiku Bagudu Minister of State, Federal Capital Territory, Mairiga Mahmud Minister of State, Water Resources and Sanitation, Bello M. Goronyo Minister of Agriculture and Food Security, Abubakar Kyar Minister of Education, Tahir Maman Minister of Interior, Sa’Idu A. Alkali Minister of Foreign Affairs, Yusuf M. Tuggar Coordinating Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Ali Pate Minister of Police Affairs, Ibrahim Geidam Minister of State, Steel Development, U. Maigari Ahmadu Minister of Steel Development, Shuaibu A. Audu Minister of Information and National Orientation, Muhammed Idris Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Lateef Fagbemi Minister of Labour and Employment, Simon B. Lalong Minister of State, Police Affairs, Imaan Sulaiman-Ibrahim Minister of Special Duties and Inter-Governmental Affairs, Zephaniah Jisalo Minister of Water Resources and Sanitation, Joseph Utsev Minister of State, Agriculture and Food Security, Aliyu Sabi Abdullahi Minister of Environment and Ecological Management, (Kaduna)
Tribunal reserves judgment in petitions against Sanwo-Olu’s re-election

Lagos State Election Petition Tribunal has reserved judgment in two petitions against the election of Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, and his deputy, Dr Obafemi Hamzat. The three-man tribunal led by Justice Arum Ashom, on Saturday, said it would communicate the date for the judgment to the parties in the petition. Ashom made this known after counsel to the parties adopted final written addresses. Gbadebo Rhodes-Vivour of the Labour Party (LP) and Abdulazeez Adeniran (a.k.a. Jandor) of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) is challenging the re-election of Sanwo-Olu and Hazmat of the All Progressives Congress (APC). The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) is the first respondent in the petition, while Sanwo-Olu and Hamzat are the second and third respondents, respectively. APC is the fourth respondent. The governorship election took place on March 18. The two petitioners were absent in court on Saturday but Hamzat was present. Sanwo-Olu’s counsel, Chief Wole Olanipekun (SAN), while adopting his final written address, asked the court to dismiss the petitions for lack of merit. He described the petitions as an academic exercise. He said that there was no reference to the second respondent in the addresses of the petitioners, adding that the addresses dwelt on the third respondent. “They have abandoned their petitions and also abandoned any issues against the second respondent.” He said that the non-qualification of the deputy governor for the election as claimed by Rhodes-Vivour had no substance. Olanipekun argued that the allegation of Hamzat’s renunciation of Nigerian citizenship and swearing an oath of allegiance to the U.S. were not sufficiently proven. Similarly, counsel to APC, Mr. Abiodun Owonikoko (SAN), submitted that the argument about Hamzat’s citizenship was not duly proven by the petitioners. Counsel to INEC, Mr. Charles Edosonwan (SAN), in adopting his final written address, asked the Tribunal to dismiss the petitions for lack of evidence. He said: “One of the issues raised by the petitioners is whether the election was conducted in substantial compliance with the Electoral Act. “We say that they have provided no scintilla of proof to show it wasn’t. “A petition erected on such an allegation was sought to be proven by 10 witnesses in a state that has 13,325 polling units. The petition is materially challenged,” he said. Mr Olatunji Benson, counsel to LP and its Governorship Candidate, Rhodes-Vivour, asked the tribunal to uphold the position of his clients that Hamzat did not qualify to contest the election. He prayed the tribunal to remove Sanwo-Olu and Hamzat from office and declare Rhodes-Vivour the Governor of Lagos State. Also adopting his final written address, counsel to PDP, Mr Clement Onwuenwunor, argued that Sanwo-Olu did not have a secondary school leaving certificate and, therefore, was not qualified to be governor.