Court Declares Zamfara Guber Election Inconclusive, Mandates Rerun in 3 LGAs

Court Declares Zamfara Guber Election Inconclusive, Mandates Rerun in 3 LGAs

The Court of Appeal sitting in Abuja, on Thursday, declared as inconclusive, the governorship election that held in Zamfara State on March 18. The court, in a unanimous decision by a three-member panel of Justices, nullified the return of Governor Dauda Lawal of the Peoples Democratic Party, (PDP) as the winner of the gubernatorial contest. It ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), to conduct a fresh election in three Local Government Areas, LGAs, of the state. The court however, did not award any cost to the respondents.  The court agreed with All Progressive Congress APC candidate that elections did not hold previously or where results from various polling units were not counted in the three LGAs. In the lead judgement that was read by Justice Sybil Nwaka, the court held that it was wrong for INEC to rely on information it obtained from its IReV portal, to collate the final result of the governorship election. The judgement followed an appeal that was lodged before the court by the immediate past governor of the state, Bello Matawalle, who was the candidate of the All Progressives Congress, APC, in the election. More details later…

UK PM, Sunak Sacks Home Secretary, Suella Braverman

UK PM, Sunak Sacks Interior Minister, Suella Braverman

The British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak on Monday fired Home Secretary Suella Braverman, who drew anger for accusing police of being too lenient with pro-Palestinian protesters. According to a source in the prime minister’s office, Sunak had “asked Suella Braverman to leave government and she has accepted.” The Conservative Party said Sunak is carrying out a wider reshuffle which “strengthens his team in government to deliver long-term decisions for a brighter future.” However, sacking one of the leading figures on the right of the party could pose difficulties for the prime minister as he seeks to get his party united behind him and ready for a general election expected in 2024. 

Natasha Akpoti Sworn In As Kogi Central Senator

Natasha Akpoti Sworn In As Kogi Central Senator

Senate President, Godswill Akpabio, oversaw the swearing-in of Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan as the new senator representing Kogi Central Senatorial District during a plenary session held on Thursday.  The oath of office was administered by the Clerk of the Senate, Mr. Chinedu Akubueze, at 11:41am. Following the oath, Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan had a handshake with the Senate President, who presented her with a copy of the Senate Standing Rules.  She was then escorted to her seat by the sergeant at arms after exchanging pleasantries with her colleagues. This development comes after the Court of Appeal in Abuja affirmed Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan’s victory as the duly elected candidate for the Kogi Central Senatorial Election held on February 25th earlier this year.  The appeal filed by Senator Abubakar Ohere, representing the All Progressives Congress, was dismissed by the appellate court, citing a lack of merit. This decision follows the earlier ruling by the Kogi State Election Petition Tribunal in September, which nullified Ohere’s victory and declared Akpoti-Uduaghan as the rightful winner of the February senatorial poll.  Despite Ohere’s appeal to the Court of Appeal seeking redress, the court has upheld Akpoti-Uduaghan as the legitimate winner of the election.

Appeal Court sacks Suswam from Semate

Appeal Court, Sacks Suswam, Senate removal, Legal decision, Political news, Senator Suswam, Appeal Court ruling, Senate vacancy, Nigerian politics, Legislative update,

The Court of Appeal, Abuja, on Wednesday, nullified the election of former Governor of Benue State, Gabriel Suswam, as senator representing North East Senatorial District of the state. The appellate court, in a unanimous decision by a three-member panel of justices, said it was satisfied that Suswam was not the valid winner of the senatorial election that held on February 25. It faulted the judgement of the Benue State National Assembly Election Petitions Tribunal which returned Suswam of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to the Senate, after it nullified the election victory of Emmanuel Udende of the All Progressives Congress (APC). According to the appellate court, the tribunal wrongly evaluated the evidence that was presented before it by the parties in the matter and thereby arrived at an erroneous conclusion that upheld the petition Suswam filed to challenge Udende’s election victory. Consequently, the court voided the judgement of the tribunal, saying it found merit in the appeal that was lodged before it by the APC candidate. “The judgement of the tribunal delivered on 8th of September, 2023 is hereby set aside. “The return of the appellant as the winner of the Benue North East senatorial election that was held on February 25 is hereby affirmed. “Parties are to bear their respective cost,” the court held in its lead verdict that was delivered by Justice Abimbola Adejumo, who led the panel. The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) had declared Udende as winner of the senatorial election after he polled a total of 135,573 votes to defeat Suswam who garnered 112,231 votes. Not satisfied with the outcome of the election, Suswam approached the tribunal on the ground that it was marred by over-voting, irregularities, alterations and falsification of results. In its judgement, the tribunal held that Suswam successfully established his case that irregularities took place in five out of seven LGAs in the senatorial district. The tribunal cancelled 51,895 votes entered for Udende and also cancelled 21,229 votes entered for Suswam. After subtracting the padded votes, Suswam was left with 90,590 while Udende scored 82,699 votes. The tribunal, headed by Justice Ori Zik-Ikeoha, entered judgment in Suswam’s favour, a decision that was vacated by the appellate court on Wednesday.

Tribunal Affirms Fintiri As Adamawa Governor

Tribunal Affirms Fintiri As Adamawa Governor

*It’s A Victory For Democracy, Rule Of Law, Says Fintiri The Adamawa Governorship Election Petitions Tribunal on Saturday affirmedthe election Gov Ahmadu Fintiri in the March 18 poll, dismissing the petition by the candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Sen. Aishatu Binani.Delivering the judgement, Justice Theodora Uloho, the Chairman of the tribunal said the petition failed to established the allegation of non adherence with the Electoral Act during the election. “The petitioner failed to establish the allegation of non- compliance with the electoral act and prove the case with cogent, credible and satisfactory evidence. “All documents tendered by the petitioner were dumped on the tribunal and that the star witness did not demonstrate any of the documents to link it with any of their material allegation in the petition,” she said.The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) had declared Fintiri as the winner after he scored430,861 votes to defeat Binani who scored 398,788 votes.However, Binani filed a petition challenging the declaration, alleging that the election was not conducted in substantial compliance with the electoral act.Reacting, Mr Sani Garba, the Counsel to Binani said he would study the judgment and intimate the petitioners on the next line of action.  Meanwhile, Governor Ahmadu Fintiri of Adamawa has described his victory at the Governorship Election Petition Tribunal as “victory to democracy and the rule of law”. Fintiri stated this shortly after the tribunal dismissed APC’s Aishatu Binani petition against his re-election for the second term in Yola on Saturday. Reacting, Fintiri assured the people of good governance. According to him, this victory is also a victory for doing more to ensure massive development in the state. He called on the litigants to step aside in order to move ahead for the development of the state and county at large. He appreciated the tribunal judges for the role played in ensuring fairness and justice. Fintiri also commended his legal team, journalists and Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) for their roles from the time of the election up to the tribunal judgment.

APM Withdraws Appeal Challenging Tinubu’s Victory At Supreme Court

Tinubu's Intervention Can't Solve Ondo Crisis - PDP

The Allied Peoples Movement, (APM) Monday, withdrawn the appeal instituted at the Supreme Court to nullify President Bola Tinubu’s election victory. In the appeal, the party is contesting that Tinubu’s running mate and Vice President, Kashim Shettima, was nominated twice for different positions by the All Progressives Congress, APC, in relation to the 2023 general elections. APM had in its 10-ground of appeal, maintained its position that Tinubu was not eligible to participate in the presidential poll that held on February 25. However, at the hearing,  Counsel to the party Mr. Chukwuma Machukwu Ume, SAN, withdrew the matter shortly after it was called up for hearing. A seven-member panel of the apex court, led by Justice Inyang Okoro, berated the party for filing an appeal the appeal for trying to over labour the court. According to the panel, APM appeal is a total waste of time and amount to an academic exercise since the party only wanted the apex court to “state the law.” “If we are idle, then maybe we will state the law. If there is nothing for you to gain from an appeal, you don’t just come to court for interpretation. “If for instance that you win a case, there must be something to be gained from the victory. We have read your appeal, there is absolutely nothing in it. You are not asking for your candidate to declared winner or anything of such, all you want is for the President to be removed. “If we remove the President, then what next? There are two other appeals here that are asking for something substantial,” Justice Okoro held. Also reacting to the appeal, Justice Emmanuel Agim, noted that issues the APM raised in its appeal, was previously decided by the Supreme Court. “We are not bound to hear every appeal. What you are asking us is to overrule ourselves. Did you not read our decision on the issue of double nomination.”  Consequently, Ume, SAN, withdrew the appeal and it was accordingly struck out.

Tinubu Withdraws Nomination Of FERMA Chairman, Kashim Imam

Tinubu Withdraws Nomination Of FERMA Chairman, Kashim Imam

President Bola Tinubu has issued a directive for the withdrawal of Imam Kashim Imam’s nomination as the Chairman of the Federal Roads Maintenance Agency (FERMA) Board of Directors. This decision was communicated through a statement by Ajuri Ngelale, the President’s Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, on Thursday in Abuja. The withdrawal of this nomination takes immediate effect, as indicated by Ngelale. It’s important to note that this withdrawal will not impact other appointments to the FERMA Board and Executive Management team. Engr. Imam Ibrahim Kashim Imam, and 25-year-old first-class Mechanical Engineering graduate from Brighton University. Born on the 27th of December, 1998, Engr. Imam had shown promise from a young age. He had pursued his undergraduate studies in Mechanical Engineering at Brighton University, where he graduated with first-class honours. His academic prowess continued as he pursued an MSc with honours at the same University. He completed his National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) in August 2022. Prior to his appointment, he served as a special assistant to Dave Umahi, the minister of works. His Father, Kashim Ibrahim-Imam, is a Nigerian Politician. He ran for Borno state governor as the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) candidate in 2003 and 2007, losing to Ali Modu Sheriff from the All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP) both times. No reason was given for the withdrawal.

Updated: Appeal Court Nullifies Senator Abbo’s Election Victory In Adamawa North

Updated: Appeal Court Nullifies Senator Abbo's Election Victory In Adamawa North

The Court of Appeal in Abuja has rendered a unanimous verdict, sacking Senator Elisha Abbo, who represented Adamawa North Senatorial District. The court’s decision overturned the previous tribunal judgment that had confirmed Abbo, a member of the All Progressives Congress (APC), as the legitimate winner of the Senatorial seat. The appeal was lodged by Amos Yohanna, the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the election, who contested the results. Senator Abbo, known for a controversial incident in 2019, where he assaulted a lady in an Abuja sex toy shop, saw his re-election aspirations dashed by the appellate court’s ruling. As a result of the assault incident, a Federal Capital Territory High Court had previously ordered Senator Abbo to pay N50 million in damages to the assaulted lady, a judgment later upheld by the appellate court panel led by Justice Jamilu Tukur. Senator Abbo, acknowledging his removal from the legislative office, urged his supporters and constituents to remain composed.