Police Undermining Court Order- ASCSN President

By Vivian Michael, Abuja The President of the Association of Senior Civil Servants of Nigeria, (ASCSN) Comrade Bola-Audu Innocent, Wednesday, accused the Nigerian Police of subtly undermining the recent judgment of the National Industrial Court sitting in Abuja, which reinstated him as the authentic President of the Association. The Court presided by Justice Oyewumi Oyebiola, had on July 9, 2024, voided the purported suspension of Bola-Audu, and subsequently ordered his return as President of ASCSN till when his tenure will be completed. In the judgment delivered virtually, Justice Oyebiola, held that the suspension of Bola-Audu by the Central Working Committee of the ASCSN and his subsequent expulsion by the National Working Committee was “unlawful, illegal, null and void and of no effect whatsoever”. However, since Comrade Bola-Audu Innocent got the certified true copy of the court order, all concerted effort to assume duty as President, had been resisted by few members of the Association, believed to be loyal to one Etim Okon, who acted as President while the matter was in court. Bola-Audu’s allegation followed a directive from the Police for him to vacate the office on Wednesday. Addressing the press at the premises of ASCSN, Bola-Audu expressed dismay at the way the police is handling the issue. Explaining that the judgement of the industrial court was declaratory in nature, the ASCSN President said, rather than uphold the order of court, the police are being complicit in the matter. “Regrettably, those responsible for my ordeal have refused to respect the court’s judgment, seeking to frustrate its implemenration. I have drawn the attention of relevant law enforcement agencies to this matter to no avail. “Ironically, the Police, who should be providing protection, are now hindering my resumption of office. I am aware of plots to frustrate the court’s judgment and I therefore call on the Inspector General of Police to withdraw his men from our office as requested by our members. Nevertheless, “We were invited by the FCT Commissioner of Police last Sunday for a meeting. Luckily, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, (Simon Lough), who is a police officer was present as an arbiter. “He read the judgment for all of us, we were about 40 or more in the office of the Commissioner of Police. “After reading, the judgment, he told the cabal who has been resisting me from assuming my office that what they were doing is wrong. “He told them that the judgement of the National Industrial Court, cannot be compared with the judgment of an ordinary court; and that it is a special court set aside by government to treat issues of labour, Lough explained. The SAN, in the presence of the Commissioner of Police told them that even if they claimed that they have appealed, they needed the leave of the court to be able to do so. According to Bola-Audu, after the meeting, the Commissioner of Police said he was going to get across to them in two days. “Uptill today, we have not heard from him. The tenure of this administration is going to end on Monday, the 29th. So, it is a deliberate effort. “We have been at the Force headquarters and complained, we have gone everywhere we feel we could get justice in peace, and it’s not coming. “What right has the police to come and seal my office and would not allow me to assume the office as President of the Association, when a court of competent jurisdiction has said so. “Are they interpreting the judgment of the court differently, the ASCSN President queried. “They are to maintain law and order. Rather than do that, you came and locked up my office. Did you see anybody fighting, you locked up my office and then you are telling us cock and bull story” Bola-Audu fumed. Meanwhile, a senior police officer (name withheld) told members of the Association who were in the office premises to vacate, claiming they were there to maintain law and order. The officer said both parties should maintain status quo and stop parading themselves as President because their matter “is on the table”. Reacting to that position, members of the Association, chanting solidarity songs said they rather die there than vacate the office. END.

Police, DSS Neutralise 3-Man POS Robbery Gang

Police, DSS Neutralise 3-Man POS Robbery Gang

Operatives of the Nigeria Police and those of the Department of State Services neutralised a three-man robbery gang in Enugu on Sunday. The gang specialised in robbing Point of Sale (POS) operators. Police spokesman in Enugu State, DSP Daniel Ndukwe stated that the gang members were neutralised in a gun duel after which arms and ammunition and their operational tricycle were recovered from them. Two locally-made pistols, six rounds of 0.9mm calibre ammunition and N500,000 cash were also recovered from the gang, he stated. “Other exhibits recovered were rolls of POS transaction printing papers, assorted mobile phones, wallets, bags and objects suspected to be charms,’’ he added. Ndukwe stated also that the hoodlums had earlier robbed different POS operators and their customers at gunpoint in different locations in Enugu. “At about 1 p.m., the hoodlums attacked POS operators at different locations in Enugu metropolis, dispossessing them of the recovered exhibits. “The hoodlums opened fire on security operatives who mounted surveillance on them upon sighting the latter. “The security operatives responded with superior firepower, neutralising the three of them and recovering the exhibits in the process,’’ the police spokesman stated. He added that many of the victims later identified the assailants and some of the recovered exhibits. “Investigation is on-going to possibly fish out other members of the criminal gang,’’ Ndukwe also stated. 

Appeal Court Judgement: Police Ban Street Celebrations In Bauchi

Appeal Court Judgement: Police Ban Street Celebrations In Bauchi

Bauchi State Police Command has taken a decisive step to forestall potential unrest in anticipation of the impending judgment from the Court of Appeal on the gubernatorial election petition.  The Police Spokesperson, SP Ahmed Wakil, emphasized the ban on street celebrations, roadblocks, and provocative statements by political party supporters. Scheduled for Friday, November 17, 2023, the judgment has led to the prohibition of all rallies or celebratory gatherings linked to the Gubernatorial Election Petition. SP Ahmed Wakil highlighted the directive’s aim to prevent any potential disruptions or tensions between supporters of the ruling party, represented by Senator Bala Mohammed Abdulkadir, and the opposition party, with its flag bearer, Air Marshal Sadiq Baba Abubakar (rtd). While recognizing the right to celebrate, Wakil emphasized the importance of supporters abiding by the law.  He emphasized that celebratory activities should not infringe upon the rights of others and urged compliance with legal provisions. He explicitly warned against road blockades, fireworks, inciting remarks, or attempts to intimidate the opposition party. The Police Command made it clear that any individual or group found violating the order or causing a breach of peace would face the consequences without hesitation. “Moreover, the blissful supporters must comport themselves in line with the provisions of the law; blockage of roads, fireworks, and inciting utterances or blackmailing the opposition party would not be condoned,” he said.

Police Foil Terrorists Attack In Katsina, Rescue 3 Kidnap Victims

Police Foil Terrorists Attack In Katsina, Rescue 3 Kidnap Victims

The Katsina Police Command foiled a suspected kidnap attempt at Gogalo village, in Jibia local government area of the state and rescued three kidnap victims. This is contained in a statement on Monday in Katsina by ASP Aliyu Abubakar-Sadiq, the spokesman of the command. “On November 11, at about 10:46pm, information was received at the Jibia divisional police station that armed bandits wielding dangerous weapons such as the AK-47 rifle, shooting sporadically, attacked the village and kidnapped three persons. “Upon receiving this report, the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) Jibia, promptly mobilised a search and rescue team to the scene. “The team continued to comb the surrounding bushes until Nov. 12, at about 6am, the team succeeded in tracking down the suspected kidnappers, engaging them in a gun duel. “All the kidnapped victims were successfully rescued unhurt. Efforts are on with a view to arresting the fleeing suspects as the investigation proceeds,” Abubakar-Sadiq said. 

Police Confirm Murder Of FUT Minna Lecturer

Police Arrest Prime Suspect Of Murdered FUT Minna Lecturer

The Police command in Niger State has confirmed the killing of Dr Funmilola Adefolalu, a lecturer at the Federal University of Technology (FUT) Minna by suspected assailant. This is contained in a statement by the command`s spokesman, DSP Wasiu Abiodun on Monday in Minna. Abiodun said the victim was killed in her residence at Gbaiko area of Minna on Sunday. “On October 29, at about 1000hrs, some friends of Dr Funmilola Adefolalu, a lecturer at “FUT Minna visited her residence in Gbaiko Area of Minna due to their inability to get her on phone. “Unfortunately, on getting to the house, the visitors met her lying in a pool of her own blood with marks of injuries on her body,” he said. He said that two knives with blood stains suspected to have been used to stab her by unknown persons were recovered from the scene. The spokesman said that the body was taken to the Ibrahim Babangida Specialist Hospital, Minna where she was confirmed dead. He said that the police have commenced investigation into the incident. 

Police Bust Child-Stealing Syndicate In Enugu, Nab Suspect

Police Bust Child-Stealing Syndicate In Enugu, Nab Suspect

The Police Command in Enugu State has smashed a child-stealing syndicate and arrested a suspect at Igogoro village in Enugu-Ezike community of Igbo-Eze North Local Government Area of the state. This is contained in a statement, issued by the Command’s Spokesman, DSP Daniel Ndukwe at the weekend in Enugu. Ndukwe said that the syndicate was smashed on Oct. 27 at about 1.30 p.m. According to him, police operatives serving in the Igbo-Eze North Police Division, working with the Neighbourhood Watch Group, smashed a child stealing syndicate and arrested one Ifeanyi Omeke, 21, at Igogoro village in Enugu-Ezike community. “The suspect was nabbed after he sneaked into the complainant’s house in the community and attempted to steal a 15-month-old girl child. “The suspect confessed to the crime, as well as revealed that he was contracted by his cohorts at large to steal children for ritual and other criminal purposes,” the police spokesman said. He said that the state Commissioner of Police, Mr Kanayo Uzuegbu, had ordered the immediate transfer of the case to the state’s Criminal Investigation Department (CID) for a thorough investigation. “A thorough investigation would eventual lead to the arrest of other members of the criminal syndicate at large and their prosecution,” he added.

Police, Army Rescue 4 Kidnap Victims In Katsina

Police, Army Rescue 4 Kidnap Victims In Katsina

Police in Katsina State have rescued four kidnap victims in Dandume Local Government Area on Saturday in collaboration with the military. Police spokesman in the state, ASP Abubakar Sadiq-Aliyu, stated in Katsina on Saturday that the rescue was achieved during a routine patrol around Dankolo village. “In a bid to ensure the safety of lives and property police, in collaboration with troops, rescued four persons kidnapped at different locations in the state. “The relentless efforts and dedication of our security forces paid off, resulting in the rescue,’’ ASP Sadiq-Aliyu stated. He added that the victims had undergone medical examinations to ensure their well-being, and had been reunited with their families.

Police To Sanction Man Who Fired Shots To Celebrate Ladipo Market Reopening

Police To Sanction Man Who Fired Shots To Celebrate Ladipo Market Reopening

The spokesperson for the Nigeria Police Force, Olumuyiwa Adejobi, has confirmed the identification of the man seen firing celebratory shots at the Ladipo market reopening in Lagos State. The incident, which went viral on Tuesday, showed the individual discharging rounds into the air while a crowd cheered him on. Adejobi had initially announced a probe into the matter and assured the public that the man’s identity would be revealed. In an update provided on Wednesday via his X (formerly Twitter) account, Adejobi disclosed that the man had been positively identified.  He further stated that the Lagos State police command would address the issue, adding, “The man has been identified. The Lagos state police command will speak on it asap. Let’s wait for their reaction on the matter. I really commend the efforts of the CP on it. Excellent indeed. Thanks.”

Criminal Activities: Police Arrest 298 Suspects In Jigawa

Police, DSS Neutralise 3-Man POS Robbery Gang

The Police Command in Jigawa has arrested 298 suspects for alleged criminal activities in the third quarter of 2023. This is contained in a statement by the Spokesman of the Command, DSP Lawan Shiisu, on Wednesday in Dutse. He said the Police recovered 64 rustled animals, fire arms and rescued six kidnapped victims in special operations conducted within the period under review. Shiisu said the suspects were apprehended for alleged robbery; kidnapping, murder, rape, vandalism, animal rustling, fraud, among others. He listed the suspects to include 25 robbery; 12 kidnapping, 36 murder, 25 rape, 37 theft, 15 vandalism, 17 animal rustling and five over fraud, while 126 others arrested for allegedly belonging to gang of brigands. The Police, he said, recovered one AK-47 riffle; one Beretta pistol, three locally-made guns, 48 live ammunitions, 20 motor vehicles/cycles, and 64 rustled animals. Other items recovered include 560 parcels of Cannabis Sativa and a number of narcotic substances. “The crime prevention strategies adopted by Jigawa Police Command in the ongoing fight against all forms of crimes and criminalities in the state during the period under review, yielded dividends, as the state remained generally peaceful as residents go about their lawful businesses without fear of molestation. “This feat was made possible by the proactive measures put in place by the command, whose personnel worked tirelessly to checkmate the activities of criminals for a peaceful atmosphere,” he said. He commended the acting Inspector-General of Police, Mr Kayode Egbetokun, the Jigawa government and other security agencies for their support to the Command While reiterating commitment of the Command to protect lives and property, Shiisu urged residents of the state to support the Police in the fight against crimes. 

UNILAG Students Hold Second Protest Against Tuition Fee Increase

UNILAG Students Hold Second Protest Against Tuition Fee Increase

Once again, students from the University of Lagos (UNILAG) have taken to the streets, marking their second protest within a week to express their discontent with the recent tuition fee hike at the institutions, in solidarity in their counterparts from other universities. Chanting slogans, the protesters gathered to emphasize the pressing need for the university authorities to reconsider the fee adjustments. The demonstration saw a notable presence of both the Nigerian Police Force and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC). Students participating in the protest were resolute, vowing to continue their demonstrations until their school fees are reverted to their previous levels. They argued that the fee increases lack empathy and place undue financial burdens on them. In addition to their demands for fee reduction, the students called upon the Federal Government to channel the funds generated from subsidy removal towards investments in education, rather than allowing further fee hikes. UNILAG had previously announced the tuition fee increments for both new and returning undergraduate students in July, citing the prevailing economic conditions as the rationale behind the decision.