2027 Election: Labour Party and Others self-destruct

Apart from the New Nigeria Peoples Party, other leading players at the last election except the ruling All People’s Congress seem to be imploding, all as a result of frenzied moves ahead of the 2027 general elections.   For instance, both the PDP and the Labour Party, the first and second runners up at the 2023 presidential election have been neck deep in internal wranglings for no specific reasons other than the machinations of greedy party members to self destruct in favour of an individual’s ambition to conquere power in 2027.   In an apparent redundant move the Labour Party has revoked the automatic tickets previously reserved for its 2023 presidential candidate, Peter Obi, and the Governor of Abia State, Alex Otti, for the 2027 election.   The decision was made during the party’s National Executive Council meeting held on Monday, September 9, in Abuja.   Following the meeting, the party’s National Working Committee, led by Julius Abure, announced that all party tickets, from the presidency to the House of Assemblies, would now be open to all qualified Nigerians.   In a communique signed by the National Chairman of the party, Abure, and National Secretary, Umar Ibrahim, the NEC nullified the decision taken at the stakeholders meeting convened by Otti.   The NEC insisted that there was no vacuum in the leadership of the party after “conducting its National Convention in line with its constitution, the Electoral Act and Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria on March 27, 2024.”  

Labour Party Reacts As Kenneth Okonkwo Dumps Peter Obi

By Doris Isreal Ijeoma The Labour Party (LP), has reacted to the decision of veteran actor and lawyer, Kenneth Okonkwo, to dissociate himself from the leadership of Peter Obi. Labour Party in a statement on Sunday while condemning the attack on Obi, said they are not surprised by Okonkwo’s decision.  Okonkwo in announcing his decision on Sunday, said Obi lacks the capacity to rally the party and lead as expected. However, the party, in a statement by its National Publicity Secretary, Obiora Ifoh, said Okonkwo smuggled himself into the presidential campaign team of Obi during the 2023 elections, and they are not surprised by his decision. Ifoh added that Okonkwo is only seeking attention with his actions and Nigerians don’t need political jobbers like him. The LP statement further stated that the party is aware of the moles within its ranks who are sure to be exposed and fumigated. It also reaffirmed the Labour Party’s decision to stand with Peter Obi and present him as the party’s candidate for the 2027 elections. According to the statement, “If you recall, recently a former Director General of the party’s presidential campaign organisation resigned and rejoined the APC. Only last week, a former deputy Director General of the presidential campaign organisation also resigned and rejoined the APC. “Today, it is the turn of Mr. Okonkwo, a former member of APC, who smuggled himself into the presidential campaign, and his destination is already known to us. “Needless to say that Nigeria is not in want of political jesters and jobbers whose stomach are their gods. Labour Party is not perturbed by his decision to move on and in fact, we wish him well in his future endeavours, whether in acting, law practice, politics or otherwise. “We also wish to note here, that the party is aware of a few other persons who are planted as moles, who are presently instigating crisis within the party, and who have unsuccessfully attempted to hijack the party for the use of their paymasters. We urge them to act fast and do the needful before they are exposed and fumigated out of the party. “Labour Party is keeping to its decision to stand with Peter Obi as its leader and presidential hopefully come 2027 presidential election and we are not apologetical about that position. “Coordinated attacks from some quarters will not in anyway diminish the trust Nigerians, particularly, the Obidients and youths in Nigeria have in him. We know that with him, a new Nigeria will be possible. Nigerians spoke loudly in 2023 and they will speak even louder come 2027.”

Peter Obi Identifies ‘Sponsors’ Of August Protest

Peter Obi standing with South-East political leaders at an ADC event in Enugu during his declaration for the African Democratic Congress.

By Doris Isreal Ijeoma The Labour Party (LP) presidential candidate in the 2023 election, Peter Obi, has stated that protest is allowed within the Nigerian Constitution. Obi made this known amidst the proposed nationwide protest scheduled by some Nigerian youths to hold on August 1-10 over the current economic situation in the country. In an interview with Channels TV after a visit to Abia State Governor, Alex Otti, on Sunday, the former Governor of Anambra State urged intending protesters to demonstrate in a civil manner. Peter Obi pointed out that ‘huger and hopelessness’ in the country are the sponsors of the August protest. He said, “Protest is allowed within the Nigerian Constitution. All I plead for all of those who are protesting to do so within the law and in a civil manner that allows us as a nation to show that we live within the law. “Everybody knows that things are difficult, when they talk about the sponsors of the protest, I say the sponsors are very simple, is hunger, and hopelessness among the youths. So we all have to listen to what Nigerians are going through.” Speaking further, Peter Obi urged security agencies to manage the situation within the law and avoid overbearing. He added, “On security agencies, I will tell them to ensure that they manage the situation within the law. We should not try to be overbearing. Protest oa allowed everywhere globally. Listen to the reason why people are protesting, engage and talk with them, that is what governance is all about.”

Peter Obi’s Ally Dumps Labour Party For APC

By Doris Isreal Ijeoma A former National Deputy Campaign Manager for Obi/Datti in the 2023 presidential election, Isaac Balami has dumped the Labour Party (LP) and returned to his former party, the All Progressives Congress (APC). Balami announced his decision in a press conference in Abuja on Wednesday. Speaking on his reason for dumping the party, the Nigerian Aviation expert explained that President Bola Tinubu has shocked him in just one year in office with regard to the Muslim-Muslim ticket which Balami himself was against. He explained that he dumped the APC ahead of the last presidential elections because of the ticket. However, he has now seen that it actually means nothing. The former number three man of Peter Obi’s campaign organization said he had thought that Labour Party had all it takes to take over Nigeria and restructure it on the path of progress but regretted that the leadership crisis in the party and some obvious leadership incompetence had destroyed the party. According to him, ” Tinubu has so far empowered more Christian Northerners and other Muslim ethnic nationalities since Nigeria returned back to Democracy. There is nothing that trips me like equity and fairness,” “No president has ever worked with the middle belt like President Bola Tinubu. “That was not what I saw when I left. I now see a better party and a better government. I can see a Nigeria that in a few years will thrive and I think it is only important for us to work with APC in its effort to rescue this country. “Consequently, after consulting widely with leaders across Nigeria, the middle-belt caucus, my parents and my immediate family, it becomes expedient that I resign from the Labour Party. I will now return back to the APC. Balami said he was happy with the level of inclusiveness under the current administration. Speaking on LP crisis, the politician said, “There is every indication that Nigeria cannot be redeemed through the Labour Party. As I move with my entire structure back to my former party, I urge them to join me in working with the APC to redeem our dear country.” Recall that the Balami, while moving to the Labour Party a year ago, said he was sacrificing for the good of the country and thousands of Nigerian youths who believed in him.

LG Autonomy: Presidency Attacks Peter Obi For Not Commenting On Supreme Court Ruling 

By Doris Isreal Ijeoma Presidential aide, Bayo Onanuga has slammed the 2023 Labour Party (LP) presidential candidate, Peter Obi, over his silence since the Supreme Court gave its ruling granting financial autonomy to Local government areas. Speaking via his account on Friday Night, Onanuga claimed that Obi’s silence shows he is only quick to tweet unverified news about President Bola Tinubu and Nigeria. He insisted that a good opposition must be sincere enough to praise his political opponent when he carries out a great deed. Onanuga urged the former Anambra governor to break his silence and acknowledge Tinubu’s efforts in making Nigeria great. He wrote, “Why is Peter Obi silent? “More than 36 hours after the Supreme Court gave a landmark ruling, granting financial autonomy to Nigeria’s 774 local councils, Mr. Peter Obi, the defeated Labour Party candidate, has yet to utter a word on the epochal judgment. His silence confirms the belief that he is always quick to tweet unverified news about the Tinubu administration or our country. “A good opposition statesman must be candid enough to applaud his political opponent when he has done some great deed. The Tinubu administration has succeeded in giving life back to our emasculated councils, using the instrumentality of the law. Even Atiku Abubakar has grudgingly admitted this. But Peter has been silent. He should break his silence and acknowledge that President Tinubu is making a great Nigeria possible.’’

Tinubu, Peter Obi Congratulate UK Prime Minister- Elect

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has congratulated Sir Keir Starmer, leader of the Labour Party, on their triumph in the United Kingdom general election. Starmer’s Labour Party secured the required 326 parliamentary seats, ensuring their victory and his appointment as the next Prime Minister.  Following the election, former Prime Minister Rishi Sunak acknowledged the Conservative Party’s loss and resigned, submitting his resignation to the King.  In a statement issued on Friday by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Ajuri Ngelale, Tinubu commended Starmer for his resilience and leadership as the opposition leader.  He praised the Labour Party’s ability to reform and mobilize, attributing their success to Starmer’s leadership.  Tinubu also emphasized the strong democratic model of the UK and its long-standing partnership with Nigeria, expressing a desire to deepen bilateral relations and enhance democratic institutions. Additionally, Peter Obi, the 2023 presidential candidate of the Labour Party in Nigeria, reacted to the Labour Party’s victory in the UK.  Through a statement on his X account, Obi congratulated Starmer and the Labour Party, expressing hope that the win would herald a new and better chapter for UK residents.  He also called for stronger ties between the new UK government and Nigeria, highlighting the various challenges Nigeria faces, including insecurity, education, healthcare, and poverty.  Obi stressed the potential benefits of UK support in addressing these issues and wished Starmer a successful tenure.

‘Tinubu kept campaign promises to Nigerians’ – Peter Obi

Presidential candidate of the Labour Party, LP, in the 2023 general elections, Peter Obi, has insisted that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has kept his campaign promises to Nigerians. Obi stated this during a Democratic Day chat on Arise TV. In those days of electioneering, Tinubu had promised to build a Nigeria, especially for the youth, where sufficient jobs with decent wages create a better life. He said Nigeria would manufacture, create, and invent more of the goods and services it require, adding that the country shall be known as a nation of creators, not just of consumers. Tinubu also said that Nigeria would export more and import less, thereby strengthening both the naira and citizen’s way of life. But in all, Tinubu had maintained that, “I will continue from where Buhari stopped.” And Peter Obi, who contested against Tinubu in the election and came third, according to the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, said that among all his promises, the President has kept the part he vowed to walk in the footsteps of his predecessor. “I think President Tinubu has performed exceptionally well in his first year in office. I’ll say that President Tinubu has kept his campaign promises,” Obi said. “Throughout his campaign, he consistently maintained that he would continue from where Buhari stopped and that he’s done very well.  “I’ll give him excellent passes. Dollar was N450, it’s now N1500. Fuel was about N238, it’s now about N700; diesel was N844, it’s now N1415; a bag of rice was N30000-N35000, it’s now about N80,000; a bag of beans was similar, N30,000-35000, it’s now about N90,000; a tuber of yam was about N2000-N3000, but now it’s about N10,000; tomatoe basket was about N40,000 and now it’s about N150,000; electricity was N66 per kilowatt but now it’s about N200, you can go on and on. “Even bread, which is a basic thing other countries are subsidizing, small-medium bread was about N450 but is now N900. The big one is about N1500.” Other promises made by Tinubu include, but not limited to, “assisting our ever-toiling farmers, through enlightened agricultural policy that promotes productivity and assures decent incomes, so that farmers can support their families and feed the nation; modernising and expanding public infrastructure; emboldening and supporting our young people and women by harnessing emerging sectors such as the digital economy, entertainment and culture, tourism, train and give economic opportunity to the poorest and most vulnerable among us; generate, transmit and distribute sufficient, affordable electricity; make basic healthcare, education, and housing accessible and affordable for all; and most importantly, establish a bold and assertive policy that will create a strong yet adaptive national security architecture and action to obliterate terror, kidnapping, banditry, and all other forms of violent extremism from the face of our nation.”

Nigeria 2023 elections: a show of shame – Peter Obi

Peter Obi standing with South-East political leaders at an ADC event in Enugu during his declaration for the African Democratic Congress.

Presidential candidate of the Labour Party and second runner up at the 2023 presidential elections, Mr. Peter Obi has described the 2023 general elections as a show of shame, which he said was plagued by allegations of fraud and irregularities that were widespread. In a series of posts via his X page on Saturday, the former Governor of Anambra State said the election was marred by glitches despite the enormous amount of money that was spent to conduct the exercise. Obi said Nigeria’s election is a sharp contrast to the recent South African election, which he described as transparent and seamless. He added that the differences between the two countries’ electoral processes are lamentable. He wrote: “The outcome of the recent South African election results remains a shining example of what a transparent and efficient democratic electoral process should look like. “With about 60% voter turnout, over 90% of polling open on time, allowing diaspora voting, the results and updates were real-time without any form of technical glitches during the election. “This demonstrated the robustness and transparency of their system. The seamless online dissemination of results further highlights their commitment to democratic principles and technological advancement. “This is in stark contrast to the show of shame that the giant of Africa, Nigeria, gave the World in 2023. Nigeria’s 2023 election, with less than 30% of Voter turnout, over 60% of the polling stations starting late, and no diaspora voting, the elections were plagued by allegations of fraud and widespread irregularities, all forms of glitches, despite an enormous expenditure to the tune of about a billion dollars (direct allocation of =N=313 Billion and donor agencies support). “The process has been widely discredited. The differences between the two countries’ electoral processes are both stark and lamentable. South Africa’s Election Results Centre, with its state-of-the-art electronic board, showcased results with unparalleled precision and speed.” Obi asserted that Nigeria’s electoral process is mired in controversy and lack of transparency, saying that it is a painful reminder of the country’s ongoing struggles with democratic governance. Therefore, he called for urgent comprehensive electoral reforms and for the establishment of a system that would restore the people’s faith in the country’s democracy. He added: “Meanwhile, Nigeria’s electoral process is mired in controversy and lacks transparency. This glaring juxtaposition is a painful reminder of our country’s ongoing struggles with democratic governance.] “It underscores the urgent need for comprehensive electoral reforms to ensure that our elections are free, fair, and credible. We must learn from South Africa’s example and strive to build a system that restores the people’s faith in our democracy. “The time for action is now, and we can not afford to delay any longer in addressing these critical issues for a new Nigeria is POssible!”