Buhari’s Minister Of Power, Sale Mamman Collapses In Court

The trial of Saleh Mamman, who served as the Minister of Power under former President Muhammadu Buhari, was postponed on Thursday after he fainted just outside the Federal High Court in Abuja. Mamman, who was scheduled to appear in court on Thursday morning for his trial, fainted before the proceedings began. The lawyer for Mamman, Femi Ate, SAN, informed Justice James Omotosho right after the trial was announced that Mamman needed to take his plea. When the trial resumed, the former minister entered the courtroom and took his place on the dock, with some of his clothing already soaked. Justice Omotosho then inquired about Mamman’s condition, asking if he was overheating or if it was raining outside. Mamman, from his position on the dock, replied that he had been drenched with water. The lawyer for the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Adeyinka Olumide-Fusika, SAN, while speaking in court, mentioned that the trial for Mamman had been scheduled, but there was an unexpected incident outside the courtroom. Olumide-Fusika explained that he had a conversation with Ate outside the courtroom regarding Mamman’s health issues. “I was informed of an incident outside. I will want my learned senior advocate to tell the honourable court himself,” he said. Addressing journalists on Thursday morning, Ate said Mamman, “Upon being brought into the premises of the court, he collapsed and had to be resuscitated and treated by the medical personnel of the Federal High Court.” Ate stressed that his client (Mamman), was served with the charge after he was resuscitated. “He was served this morning,” he added. The senior lawyer requested a delay in proceedings from Olumide-Fusika to ensure the arraignment could take place on Monday, when his client would be in a better state. However, the judge informed them that the court was so busy with cases that the arraignment could only be rescheduled for the end of September. Following this, Olumide-Fusika decided to cancel the request for a delay. Olumide-Fusika mentioned that he had corrected a typo in the defendant’s name earlier that morning and asked the court to inform Mamman of the updated charge, hoping he would give his plea. However, Justice Omotosho opposed this request. The judge then inquired if Mamman was capable of giving his plea today, to which he replied in the affirmative. The former minister explained to the court that he fainted outside the courtroom due to not eating and the effects of the drugs he had taken. While waiting outside, his blood pressure dropped. Mamman, on the other hand, stated that he was in good health and ready to proceed with the arraignment. “It can happen to anyone,” the judge said. The former minister stated to the judge that he notified his attorney about the mistake the EFCC made regarding the name included in the arrest warrant they presented to him. “I was complaining about the name, that it was not my own,” he said. However, Justice Omotosho then stepped down the arraignment until 1 pm today.
PDP asks IGP to stop pro-Wike lawmakers from disrupting governance
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has called on Inspector General of Police Kayode Egbetokun to caution the 27 ousted members of the Rivers State House of Assembly against actions that could disrupt Governor Siminalayi Fubara’s administration. In a press statement on Wednesday, PDP National Publicity Secretary Debo Ologunagba noted that these lawmakers, who had pledged allegiance to former Governor Nyesom Wike, openly defected to the All Progressives Congress (APC). Ologunagba cited the 1999 Constitution, stating that their defection disqualifies them from holding legislative positions in the assembly, and therefore, they lack the authority to convene or issue directives to the governor. Ologunagba, in the statement, said, “The national leadership of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), for the umpteenth time, cautions the former members of the Rivers State House of Assembly who lost their seats upon defection from the PDP to the All Progressives Congress (APC) @OfficialAPCNg to desist from actions and utterances that are capable of disrupting peace and governance in the State. “The Party counsels the former lawmakers to wake up to the reality that they are no longer members of the Rivers State House of Assembly by virtue of the self-executory provision of Section 109 (1) (g) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as amended) and as such cannot gather or issue any notice to the State Governor in the capacity of members of Rivers State House of Assembly,” he explained. According to the party’s national spokesperson, the caution followed the former lawmakers’ purported seven-day ultimatum issued from an unknown location to the governor to re-present the 2024 state’s budget already passed and signed into law. Ologunlagba said the action by pro-Wike lawmakers’ seeking to assume the powers of the state assembly “is apparently with the intension to cause crisis, undermine and disrupt the Democratic and Constitutional Order in the State in clear violation of Section 1 sub-section 2 of the 1999 Constitution (as amended).” “Having irretrievably lost their seats upon their defection from the PDP, the political Party platform upon which they were elected into the Rivers State House of Assembly, they cannot enjoy the powers, rights, privileges, recognition and obligations of members of the Rivers State House of Assembly,” Mr Ologunagba insisted. The party, therefore, charged the IG “to note the subversive action of these former lawmakers and take immediate action to protect the Institution of Democracy, peace and security in Rivers State.” He also urged the state’s residents to stay vigilant, uphold the law, and collaborate towards maintaining stability, peace, and the delivery of democratic benefits under the party’s leadership.
BREAKING: It’s Unconstitutional For Govs To Hold LG Funds, Supreme Court Declares

The Supreme Court, on Thursday, declared that it is unconstitutional for state governors to hold onto funds meant for Local Government (LG) administrations. He said local governments has since stopped receiving the money meant for them from the state governors who act in their stead. Justice Agim noted that the 774 local government councils in the country should manage their funds themselves. He dismissed the preliminary objections of the defendants (state governors). The suit filed by the Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF), Lateef Fagbemi, the Federal Government sought an order preventing the governors from arbitrarily dissolving democratically elected councils. Justice Agim said the AGF has the right to institute the suit and protect the constitution. The apex court consequently directed that Local Government allocation from the Federation Account should be paid directly to them henceforth. More to follow
Who is gagging Dr. Abati?

The cat was let out of the bag mid-air on Arise TV this Thursday morning as a lead anchor person of the Morning Show, Dr. Ruben Abati screamed, “dont gag me on air.” Dr. Abati had started making his commentary on leading news stories when he called out the senate minority leader, Sen Ali Ndume, declaring, “Senator Ndume lied when he alleged that President Tinubu was being insulated from the Nigerian public.” Dr. Abati sounded like someone in a foul mood as he made very incendiary and unsubstantiated on the live breakfast show as he accused some prominent leaders from the northern part of the country whom he said were blackmailing President Tinubu. At some point, after ranting ceaselessly, he began to stutter, paused and then exploded, “please don’t gag me on air.” At this point, his co-anchors, Ayo Mairo-Esse and Rufai Oseni gazed at each other and turned their gaze to Dr. Ruben in awe. In their comments online, viewers of the popular breakfast show had expressed their frusteration and angst about what some referred to as Dr. Abati’s patronising commentary on the Presidency of Bola Tinubu even in the face of the cost of living crisis that the majority of Nigerians are passing through.
Body Of Ex-Senate President Joseph Wayas Arrives Nigeria After 33 Months

The body of Nigeria’s Second Republic Senate President, Senator Dr. Joseph Wayas arrived in Nigeria 33 months after his death in the United Kingdom. The remains of the elder statesman, who arrived at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja on Wednesday morning, were received by his family members; Cross River North Senator, Jarigbe Agom; Hon. Peter Akpanke; kinsmen, and other stakeholders. The body was thereafter deposited at the morgue of the National Hospital, Abuja, after opening two years and nine months at a London morgue. Senator Jarigbe, Hon. Akpanke and the family members of the late former two-time Senate President, were full of praises for Cross River State governor, Senator Prince Bassey Otu, for his spirited efforts in facilitating the transportation of Wayas’ remains to Nigeria.
Reps query minister over N45m spent on new year party, others

The House of Representatives has queried the Minister of Women Affairs, Uju Kennedy-Ohanenye, for spending unrelated expenditures, including N45m for a New Year party, N20m for sanitary pads, the News Agency of Nigeria reports on Wednesday. Others include N1.5m for vehicle fuel. NAN reports that Rep Kafilat Ogbara, Chairman of the House Committee on Women Affairs, led the interrogation of the minister, over the non-payment of N1.5bn to contractors despite the fund release in Abuja. She said that the investigative hearing was aimed at uncovering the truth and not witch-hunting the Minister and the officials of the ministry. The committee also investigated the alleged diversion of funds meant for contractor payments, following a petition from contractors. The committee also sought clarification on funds appropriated for the African First Lady’s mission and the whereabouts of the N1.5bn meant for contractor payments. The minister, however, denied the allegations of misappropriation, overspending, and non-payment to contractors. The procurement officer confirmed contractors’ claims, and the Director of Finance and Administration acknowledged only paying approved contracts. It would be recalled that the committee had at its last sitting summoned the minister to appear before it to explain the rationale behind the non-payment. The committee also ordered the stoppage of all 2024 contract processes by the Ministry of Women’s Affairs until the whereabouts of the money for the said contracts are determined.
Price Hike: Reps threaten arrest of Cement firm mgt over failure to appear

The House of Representatives Joint Committee on the arbitrary increase in the price of cement has threatened to arrest the management of Dangote Cement if it fails to appear at its next hearing. This followed the absence of officials of the cement company during a hearing to address the problem of cement increase in the country on Tuesday. The special panel while advocating for the downward review of cement prices, expressed worry over the increase in cement prices and the untold hardships it has brought upon many Nigerians. It directed the Cement Manufacturers Association of Nigeria and the Central Bank of Nigeria to make appearances before the committee in the next two weeks. This, it said, is to deliberate on measures necessary to address the situation for the benefit of the people. “They want to over-profit without any sense of empathy for the citizens that have given it this platform. I think it calls for a rethink of the position of the government. “On Dangote my ruling is simple. The laws have given us the necessary powers but we owe you a duty of care. We are going to give you one more chance. We are going to communicate a date. “Failure to comply with that date, a subpoena will be issued, a warrant of arrest will be given for you to cause appearance before the National Assembly, and no single individual is bigger than the parliament of his country. No single Nigerian is bigger than the National Assembly,” Jonathan said
BREAKING: Bill to create extra 74 seats for women in parliament passes second reading

The House of Representatives, on Tuesday, passed for second reading a bill seeking to amend the constitution to create extra legislative seats for women in the National and state assemblies. The bill, jointly sponsored by the Deputy Speaker, Ben Kalu, and 12 others, was debated on the floor, with several members vehemently opposing it. It proposes to creat one senatorial seat and one House seat in each state and the FCT. It seeks to amend Sections 48 and 49 of the Constitution to provide one special seat reserved exclusively for women in the Senate and House of Representatives for each state of the federation and the FCT, effective after the term of the current National Assembly and subject to review every 16 years. Additionally, the bill seeks to amend Section 91 of the document to provide three special seats reserved exclusively for women in the Houses of Assembly of each state of the federation, which shall be spread across the three senatorial districts of each state.
Armed Hoodlums at Emir’s Palace in Kano Cause Fear Among Residents

Residents of Rano town in Kano State are alarmed by the presence of armed hoodlums who have taken up residence at the Emirate’s headquarters since Sunday. A letter sent to the state Police Commissioner, on Tuesday, disclosed that these armed individuals have been camped at the Emir’s palace, including both the Main Palace and the historic Tsohon Gari Palace, since their arrival. The identities and intentions of those who brought them there remain unknown, raising concerns about the safety of lives and property in the area. The letter partly reads: “On the evening of Sunday, July 7, 2024, Rano town, the heart of our Rano emirate, was invaded by armed hoodlums, believed to be sponsored by unidentified persons, who camped at the Emir’s palaces.” The letter also highlights that the presence of these armed individuals defies a recent directive issued by the Police Commissioner on June 20, 2024. This directive banned all non-state security actors, including vigilantes and hunters, from providing security services in the state. Residents of the Rano emirate are known for their peaceful disposition and typically go about their activities without causing trouble. The letter emphasized that Rano has enjoyed years of uninterrupted peace, with security agencies attesting to this fact. However, recent disputes over the emirates in Kano State have led to increased tension and dissatisfaction among residents, who feel that their views have been disregarded. The letter noted that there were no public hearings across the state to assess the necessity of dissolving the four additional emirates (Rano, Gaya, Karaye, and Bichi) established by former Governor Dr. Abdullahi Ganduje. Despite these tensions, the residents of Rano have shown restraint, abiding by the law and engaging only in peaceful protests. They continued to respect the judicial process, awaiting the outcome of the emirate case currently before the Federal High Court in Kano.
What I told Tinubu about Wike, Fubara fight – Edwin Clark

Elder statesman Edwin Clark said he has advised President Bola Tinubu to give Governor Siminalayi Fubara of Rivers State a free hand to run his state’s affairs. The Ijaw national leader said this while weighing in on the crisis between Fubara and Tinubu’s appointee, Nyesom Wike, which has engulfed the oil-rich state in the past few months. The crisis has polarised the Rivers State House of Assembly, while many members of Wike’s camp previously appointed by Fubara have quit. “I have advised Mr President (Tinubu) again that he should leave Fubara alone to run his government, Wike should concentrate on his job in Abuja. “Once that is done, there will be peace and stability in the state. But if they do anything contrary and there is no peace, it will affect the economy of the country,” Clark told The Punch. The 97-year-old said elder statesmen like himself have been unable to mediate between Wike and Fubara because of the former’s insistence on controlling the political structure of the state. “How do you bring them together? One man says I have divorced. But you are my house help. There is no way. You are my son. There is no way any outsider can accept him. “This is because Wike does not see anything wrong with him. He believes that he is still controlling the structures in Rivers State whereas those structures have been there from governor to governor. “They don’t belong to one person. Wike was not yet born when Rivers was created,” he said. Clark castigated the Caretaker Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Rivers State, Tony Okocha for calling on the president to declare a state of emergency in the state over the crisis. “Concerning the call for a declaration of a state emergency, I can tell you that (Tony)nOkocha doesn’t know what he is doing. Who is he to call for that? He was only fortunate to be put there because the existing Rivers APC executives were dissolved in the first place. He knows me very well. “Was he not the chief of staff to (Rotimi) Amaechi when he was governor? They were in the APC together. Wike later took seven of them to see (Dr Abdullahi) Ganduje in Abuja. They formed a (caretaker) committee, and today, he is the chairman of Rivers State APC. So, it was obvious from the start that Okocha didn’t want to be with Amaechi again. “These are the people scattering Rivers State,” he said.