Nigerian Senate Debates Reverting to Old National Anthem

Senator Michael Opeyemi Bamidele, representing the APC Ekiti Central, introduced the National Anthem Bill 2024 (SB. 461), advocating for the restoration of Nigeria’s original anthem, “Nigeria, We Hail Thee,” which was first adopted at the nation’s independence in 1960. Senator Bamidele passionately extolled the historical and ideological significance of the erstwhile anthem, emphasizing its pivotal role in shaping Nigeria’s collective identity and fostering unity among its citizens. With a nostalgic tone, he invoked memories of a bygone era when the anthem served as a symbol of patriotism, instilling pride and solidarity in Nigerians. Amidst the turbulence of contemporary times, Senator Bamidele argued that it is imperative for the nation to utilize all available means to cultivate unity and patriotism. He asserted that reinstating the former anthem would signify a resurgence of national pride and inspire citizens to work towards a more cohesive and prosperous Nigeria. In a poignant gesture, Senator Bamidele recited the verses of the old national anthem, “Nigeria, We Hail Thee,” in their entirety, underscoring its themes of brotherhood, justice, and prosperity. He urged his esteemed colleagues to rally behind the bill, highlighting its alignment with the administration’s ongoing efforts to rejuvenate national values and consciousness. However, amidst the fervent support for the old anthem, dissenting voices arose, cautioning against the abandonment of the current anthem, “Arise, O Compatriots,” which was adopted in 1978. These senators acknowledged the historical significance of “Nigeria, We Hail Thee” but emphasized the importance of considering the contemporary symbolism embodied in the existing anthem. Following extensive debate, the Bill was referred to the Senate Committee on Judiciary and Federal Character for further review, with a mandate to report back within four weeks.
Kano Assembly dethrones five emirs

The Kano State House of Assembly has passed the Kano Emirates Council Law (repeal bill) 2024 on Thursday. This was sequel to deliberations on the floor of the house during plenary on Thursday. The law, which was passed after scaling 3rd reading, had abolished the establishment of five emirate councils in the state. The new bill would revert the state’s highest ranking traditional institution to its former structure of one emir as all the offices established under the previous law had been dissolved. The bill had also provided that all district heads elevated or appointed under the repealed law are to revert to their previous positions. The bill, titled Kano State Emirates Council (Amendment number 2) Law, 2024, was sponsored by the Majority Leader and member representing the Dala Constituency, Lawan Hussaini Chediyar Yan Gurasa. Recall that the former governor of the state, Abdullahi Ganduje, on December 5, 2019, assented to the law that created five new emirates in the state. The governor assented to an amendment to the law on 14 October, 2020 and signed another amendment on 11 April, 2023.
Why I Will Keep Contesting For Presidency – Atiku

The 2023 presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar, has said he will keep contesting for the Nigerian presidency as long as he is hale and hearty. The former Vice President is 77 years old and will be 81 in three years, ahead of the 2027 presidential election. The PDP chieftain ran for the country’s number one office six times but has been on the ballot as a presidential candidate on three occasions in 2007, 2019, and 2023. Speaking on Wednesday during an interview on the Hausa service of the Voice of America (VOA) in Abuja, Atiku said he will continue to contest for the presidency because of his love for the country. The former vice president said he is consoled by the fact that former United States President Abraham Lincoln did not win the presidential vote on the first time of asking. He said: “Of course, I will keep contesting again and again as long as I am alive and healthy. “Even the former US President Abraham Lincoln contested seven times before finally winning.”
Tinubu announces new appointments

President Bola Tinubu has approved the appointment of Chukwuemeka Woke as the Director-General/Chief Executive Officer of the National Oil Spill Detection and Response Agency, NOSDRA. Similarly, Mr Tinubu approved the appointment of Dr Adedeji Ashiru, as the Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer of the Ogun-Osun River Basin Development Authority, OORBDA. Ajuri Ngelale, Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, disclosed this in a statement on Tuesday in Abuja. Mr Ngelale said that Woke is an engineer, environmental specialist and a politician. He said that the appointee holds a Bachelor’s degree in Chemical/Petrochemical Engineering, and had served under the Environmental, Safety, and Operations Departments of the then Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC. The Presidential spokesman said Woke was Chairman of Emohua Local Government Area of Rivers State and Chief of Staff, Government House, Port Harcourt, for many years. Mr Ngelale said that Ashiru holds a Doctorate degree in Engineering from the Common Wealth University, UK, and has led a consortium of blue-chip companies, in addition to earning many stripes in his professional endeavour. “The President expects the new Chief Executive Officers to deploy their competencies to these critical agencies for sustainable gains and turnaround, while maintaining utmost transparency in their operations.”
Abba Kyari Granted Bail After 27 Months In Prison

Abba Kyari has been granted bail following 27 months of being held in detention. An Abuja Federal High Court has approved a two-week bail for DCP Abba Kyari, the former commander of the Force Intelligence Response Team, following his 27-month detention. Kyari is anticipated to complete the funeral ceremonies for his late mother, Yachilla Kyari. The court has scheduled Friday, May 31st, as the date to decide on his bail application in the ongoing trial involving drug-related charges brought forth by the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency. This legal matter stems from his arrest over two years ago on February 14, 2022. The mother passed away on the morning of Sunday, May 5, 2024. She is survived by 10 children, consisting of five boys and five girls. Among them is Abba, who is the eldest son.
May 29: Tinubu orders low-key celebration of first anniversary

The Nigerian government is going to hold a “low-key” official ceremony to mark the one year in office of President Bola Tinubu, according to the Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris. Mr Idris stated this on Wednesday at the ministerial press briefing series held at the Radio House in Abuja. It is not clear if the government intends to hold the ceremony on 12 June, the day officially recognised as Democracy Day. Nigeria’s Democracy Day celebration was being held on May 29 before President Buhari changed it to 12 June in commemoration of the 12 June 1993, presidential election annulled by the military government. Election data showed Moshood Abiola won the polls but he was never formally declared winner and was not sworn into office by the military government of Ibrahim Babangida.
Ex President Jonathan Sends Warning To Wike, Fubara As Rivers Crisis Thickens

Former President Goodluck Jonathan has intervened in the escalating political tensions in Rivers State, urging Governor Siminalayi Fubara and his predecessor, now Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja, Nyesom Wike to prioritize collaboration for the state’s progress. Jonathan made the plea during the commencement of the N222.1 billion Trans-Kalabari Road construction, stressing the need for unity and cooperation among state leaders. Speaking at the project inauguration, Jonathan expressed concern over the heightened political tensions in Rivers State, noting that such discord hinders the state’s growth and development. He urged Governor Fubara and Minister Wike to work together to alleviate the political climate and focus on advancing the welfare of Rivers’ residents. “The political tension in Rivers State is becoming too much. If Rivers state is destabilized, the whole Niger Delta and by extension the country will be destabilized,” Jonathan declared. The former president, however, reaffirmed his commitment to supporting development projects in Rivers State. He said the commencement of the Trans-Kalabari Road construction signifies a tangible step towards enhancing infrastructure and connectivity within the state.
Rivers Executive, Judiciary Tussle Akin To Anarchy, Worrisome – Group Warns …calls NJC to beam it’s search light on Justice C.N. Wali

By Daniel Okejeme Centre for Credible Leadership and Citizens Awareness has stated that the rift between the Rivers State Executive and its Legislative counterpart is becoming worrisome, and the actions of the chief executive officer is akin to anarchy. The group through it’s Director General, Dr Gabriel Nwambu, said it cannot allow a threat to the hard-earned democracy to thrive in Nigeria where we operate a constitutional democracy, where the rule of law stipulating the supremacy and predominance of the law should be practiced to the later. The group said that they are talking about a purported assembly where 3 persons parade themselves as law makers for an entire state contradicting clearly the provisions of section 96(1) as amendment which defines one-third (1/3) as what constitutes a quorum. They maintained that if for any reason the Assembly cannot form quorum, the Assembly shall adjourn, adding that it is never the intendant of those who crafted the 1999 Constitution that only 3 lawmakers shall be enacting laws for the people. Furthermore, the group faulted the legislative sitting inside the government house as not consistent with the principles of Separation of Power. They, therefore, urge the appropriate authorities to investigate the allegations that chief executive is spending Rivers State funds outside the realm of appropriation thoroughly and take appropriate actions to safeguard the interests of the citizens. Also, they call on the National Judicial Council (NJC) to beam it’s search light on Justice C.N. Wali of the Rivers State High Court for issuing an ex-parte order contradicting section 272(3) of the 1999 Constitution as amended. They insisted that the order made by Justice C.N. Wali amounts to Forum Shopping, Abuse of Court Process and tantamount to self-help. According to them, Wali’s action violated a subsisting Judgement made by Justice J.K. Omotosho stating that the Assembly led by Rt. Hon. Martins Amaewhule is the Assembly that is recognized by law and certified by the Court. They call on all citizens, civil society organizations, and leaders of the Bar and the Bench to join in defending the rule of law, upholding democratic tenets and principles, and safeguarding our constitutionally guaranteed rights. “We will take all necessary steps to oppose these desecrations of our courts and the noble profession of law. Together, we can ensure that justice prevails and the rights of the people in Rivers State are protected.”
I may support Peter Obi in 2027 – Atiku Abubakar

The Presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP in the 2023 election, Atiku Abubakar has hinted at the possibility of supporting his Labour Party counterpart in the last election, Peter Obi in 2027. The former Vice President, who is currently on a merger talk with stakeholders of some opposition political parties, said he will not hesitate to support Obi in the next election if the party picks the former Anambra governor. According to The Sun, Atiku gave the hint in an interview with BBC Hausa Service. Obi and Atiku recently met behind closed doors, sparking speculations about a merger of some opposition political parties ahead of the 2027 general elections. Confirming the move by opposition parties to align in a bid to unseat the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC in the 2027 election, Atiku said, “We can merge to achieve a common goal. So, it’s possible and nothing can stop it if we so wish to achieve that. Atiku said if the new “party decides that it’s the turn of the South-East and Peter Obi is chosen, I won’t hesitate to support him. “I have said repeatedly and I even said it before the 2023 general elections that if PDP decides to zone the presidential ticket to the South or South-East specifically, I won’t contest it. “As long as it is the decision of the party, I will abide by it. But I contested the 2023 presidential ticket because it was thrown open to all members of the party”.
Ekiti government reveals Oyebanji’s whereabouts amid concerns

The Ekiti State government has revealed that the state Governor, Abiodun Oyebanji is still in the United States. This is coming amid reports that the governor is yet to return to the country for more than two weeks. Reacting to the report, the government said: “The attention of the Governor of Ekiti State, Mr Biodun Oyebanji has been drawn to a misleading report by Sahara Reporters on his trip to the United States. “There would have been no need to respond to the misleading report, because the itinerary of the Governor was well publicized before he embarked on the trip. However, this response is being made for the sake of the reading public who might be hoodwinked by the highly misleading report. “It is on record that the itinerary of the Governor was made public through a statement signed his Special Adviser on Media, Yinka Oyebode on May 5, 2024. “The statement, which was circulated in both the traditional and social media, indicated that Governor Oyebanji would, during the trip, participate in the 2024 US-Africa Business Summit in Dallas and the nineteenth session of the United Nations Forum on Forests (UNFF19) in New- York. The statement also indicated that the Governor was scheduled to hold talks with critical stakeholders, business leaders and development partners in furtherance of the shared prosperity agenda of the administration, before returning to the country. “Highlights of the Governor’s engagements in the US are regularly communicated to the people of the state through media reports. These include his panel presentations, engagements with business leaders and development partners as well as the signing of the multi billion naira 100,000 hectares cassava farm with CAVISTA Holdings. The engagements continue till his return date. “In line with the transparency and accountability policy of the administration, all local and international engagements and trips of the Governor have always been made public. And this current one is not an exception. “It is on record that the current US trip of the Governor is the first outside the Continent since assuming office on October 16, 2022. The first trip outside the country was a UNDP sponsored induction programme for Governors held in Kigali; followed by the Afrexim Meeting in Cairo, where the state got a very significant infrastructure support from the bank”.