Hoodlums Responsible For Recent Grid Collapse, Says Power Consumers Forum

Tragedy As Transformer Explosion Kills Many In Plateau

The Nigerian Power Consumers Forum (NPCF) has attributed the recent grid collapse in the country to sabotage by criminal elements who may not have the nation’s best interests at heart, according to a statement by Mr. Michael Okoh, the Convener of the NPCF. He stated that the grid collapse was not a result of a lack of capacity on the part of the power company but rather a case of deliberate sabotage by criminals. “The fire incident at the Birnin Kebbi transmission substation switchyard appears to be more of an act of sabotage on the national grid systems,” he declared. Okoh, citing power engineers with decades of experience, explained that it was highly unlikely for two power transformers situated a reasonable distance apart to catch fire simultaneously, as transformers are equipped with built-in protection systems. He suggested that saboteurs might have tampered with transformer components to disrupt the electricity flow. He pointed out that this was not the first time critical national infrastructure had been sabotaged, mentioning incidents such as oil theft damaging pipelines and hacking of power transmission towers. He expressed concerns that such incidents could tarnish the reputation of the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN). The grid collapse resulted from a fire at the Birnin Kebbi transmission substation and a line snap along the 330 kV Jebba – Kainji transmission line. These events caused nationwide power outages, which Okoh believed were intended to discredit TCN’s management. Okoh noted that Niger Republic received bulk power from a 150MVA lower transformer in the Birnin Kebbi substation, underscoring the substation’s importance nationally and internationally. He called for a thorough investigation to identify and bring the saboteurs to justice. The NPCF acknowledged TCN’s efforts in maintaining grid stability for over 400 days, including the deployment of new power transformers and projects aimed at improving electricity access. The forum urged TCN to continue investing in transmission networks and safeguarding substations against further sabotage.

Adamawa Lootings: Fintiri imposes 24-hour curfew

Adamawa Lootings: Fintiri imposes 24-hour curfew

Governor Ahmadu Fintiri of Adamawa on Sunday declared a 24-hour curfew on the state with immediate effect. The governor made the declaration in a statement issued by his Chief Press Secretary, Mr Humwashi Wonosikou in Yola. The curfew followed wide-scale looting and attacks on citizens by hoodlums. According to him, the situation has assumed a dangerous dimension as hoodlums in Yola attack people with machetes and broke into business premises and homes carting away property. “With the curfew imposed, there will be no movement throughout the state. “Only those on essential duties with valid identification would be permitted to move around during the period of the curfew,” he added. Fintiri appealed to law-abiding residents to comply with the directive, warning that anyone caught contravening the order would be arrested and prosecuted. Hundreds of hoodlums had broken into Federal and State government storage facilities and looted food and non-food items in Yola. Mr Ladan Ayuba, Head of Operations National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) said that the armed hoodlums looted bags of Rice, Maize, Corn, and Beans, as well as Generators, wrappers, mattresses, and plastic buckets among others from the NEMA facility. .He said that the hoodlums also vandalized and looted facilities at the NEMA office that was recently reconstructed and furnished. It was gathered that the hoodlums attempted to break into a silo but were not successful and later moved to attack other government storage facilities. At least three of the hoodlums were believed to have died while several others were arrested. SP Suleiman Nguroje, the Police Public Relations Officer in Adamawa confirmed the incident, saying that Police and other security operatives have been deployed to protect critical assets and infrastructure.

Police recover firearm, ammunition from fleeing armed robbers in Enugu

Police recover firearm, ammunition from fleeing armed robbers in Enugu

The Police Command in Enugu State has recovered ammunition comprising one locally-fabricated double-barrell gun with two cartridges (one live and the other expended), from fleeing armed suspects at New Artisan Bridge, off Enugu-Port Harcourt Expressway. This is contained in a statement issued by the Command’s Spokesman, DSP Daniel Ndukwe on Monday in Enugu. Ndukwe said that the feat was achieved by police operatives serving at the New Haven Division of the Command on June 16 at about 10:46am. “The hoodlums abandoned their firearm with the ammunition on sighting police operatives, who immediately went on their trail, following the receipt of credible information that the miscreants were sighted in the location perfecting their criminal plans. “Meanwhile, discreet investigative and moves to fish out the fleeing criminal elements are underway. “Further development on the matter shall be made public,” he said.