Ondo Federal Lawmaker, Jimoh Ibrahim Speaks On Leaving APC

Senator representing Ondo South, Jimoh Ibrahim has dismissed allegations that he was leaving the All-Progressive’s Congress (APC). Ibrahim stated this during an interview with Arise Television on Wednesday. The Ondo lawmaker said he has never engaged in anti-party activities, adding that if he were to leave the party, he would publicly declare it. He said, “Everyone is informed that I will never engage in anti-party activities. If I am no longer going to be APC, I will announce it publicly.” Ibrahim said adhering to internal democratic processes is essential for maintaining the integrity and functionality of the political landscape and articulated the constitutional procedures for suspending party members. He said it should be done at the state, local government, and additional working committee levels. Ibrahim said, “I entered politics to help my people because we were deprived for a very long time. I felt that with my message, I could make a great impact.”

Gov Yusuf reappoints Sanusi as Emir of Kano, orders ex-monarchs 48 hours to vacate seats

Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf has approved the reappointment of Emir Muhammadu Sanusi II as Emir of Kano under the new laws. The governor has given former emirs 48 hours to vacate their palaces and hand over Emirate Council properties to the Commissioner of Local Government, who also serves as State Deputy Governor. Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf of Kano State has signed the Kano Emirates Bill 2024 into law, repealing the 2019 Emirate Councils Law that altered the state’s over 1000-year history. By signing the bill, the governor declared that the 2019 law has been repealed and is now history. The signing was attended by the Speaker of the State Assembly, Ismaila Falgore, Deputy Governor Aminu Abdussalam, Secretary to the State Government Abdullahi Baffa Bichi and others. The State Assembly has fulfilled one of its constitutional roles by signing the bill into law.

Tinubu Orders Review Of Governing Councils List After ASUU’s Rejection

President Bola Tinubu, on Thursday, called for a review of the recently announced governing boards of tertiary institutions before the inauguration and retreat being planned for the nominees. The Ministry of Education last week released a list of governing councils for 111 federal tertiary institutions in the country. The list contained names of technocrats, politicians and traditional rulers for 50 universities, 37 polytechnics, and 24 colleges of education. Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Education, Didi Esther Walson-Jack, who released the statement containing the list had stated that inauguration and retreat of the councils would hold on May 30 and 31, 2024. The list, however, was rejected by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics (ASUP), among others. The Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, in a statement released on Thursday said Tinubu had ordered a review of the list. He said, “President Bola Tinubu has directed a total and comprehensive review of the recently announced governing boards of tertiary institutions in Nigeria before the inauguration and retreat being planned for the nominees. “The Federal Ministry of Education recently released names of nominees for chairmen, Pro-Chancellors, and members of the boards and councils of universities, Polytechnics, and colleges of education. It also announced that the inauguration and retreat for the nominees will take place on 31 May. “However, public reactions showed that the nominations did not reflect the federal character of the country as some states got just one nomination, while some others got many. In directing a complete review of the list of members, President Tinubu acknowledges the feedback across the country. “President Tinubu is committed to ensuring strict compliance with the principle of federal character as entrenched in the constitution. The review will also take into consideration national spread and ensure every part of the country is adequately represented.”

₦19.4 Billion Fraud: Court Grants Sirika, Brother N200 Million Bail

Justice Suleiman Belgore of the Federal Capital Territory High Court on Thursday granted bail to the former Minister of Aviation, Hadi Sirika, and his brother, Ahmad Abubakar Sirika. The bail was set at ₦100 million each, with stringent conditions attached, reflecting the seriousness of the charges against them. Both defendants are required to provide two sureties, one of whom must own a landed property within the Federal Capital Territory, valued at a similar sum. In addition to the financial conditions, the court has restricted their travel, stipulating that the Sirika brothers cannot leave Nigeria without prior permission from the court. This decision comes after careful consideration of the bail application, with Justice Belgore stating he found no reason to deviate from the bail conditions previously granted by Justice Sylvanus Oriji of the same court. Ruling on the motion on notice for the 1st defendant, Hadi Sirika, the court held that “The prosecution filed no counter affidavit. He is already on administrative bail, he met all the bail applications, he continues to abide by the bail conditions, he has never been convicted of any criminal offence in Nigeria, he is a recipient of National honours, he has an aged mother he is catering for an investigation in the case has been completed. “It is my resolution that this applicant deserves to be admitted to bail and I so do.” Concerning Sirika’s brother, ruling on the motion on notice, brought pursuant to Sections 158, 156 and 135 of ACJA, where he requested a sole relief (bail). The trial judge granted him bail in the same terms and conditions as the 1st defendant (Sirika). The Sirika brothers, and the company, Enginos Nigeria Limited, are facing a ten-count amended charge bordering on contract fraud to the tune of ₦19.4 billion.

FG To Offer Nigerians 2 Months Free Rides On Abuja Light Rail

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has disclosed plans by the federal government to offer Nigerians two months of free rides on the Abuja light rail service. Speaking on Thursday in Abuja at the ministerial press briefing reviewing the one-year performance of President Bola Tinubu’s administration, Wike disclosed that the Abuja light rail would be commissioned by the President on Monday. He added that the free ride would commence on Tuesday after the inauguration on Monday. According to Wike, this is part of President Tinubu’s renewed hope agenda for the residents of the FCT and its environments. “For those who are saying that the rail system had already been commissioned, don’t make a mistake. What was earlier commissioned was the building. What we want to commission on Monday is commercial operations. “If you are going to the airport, from here to airport is 20 minutes. Seeing is believing. Go on Tuesday. We are going to allow for free rides for two months. You know, Mr. President, he can even say extend it to six months just to reduce the pain of our people. That is renewed hope agenda. When you say something, you do it,” Wike said.

Senate Calls for Conversion of Abandoned Shell Airstrip into Air Force Base

In a bid to revitalize dormant infrastructure and bolster national security, the Nigerian Senate has endorsed a proposal to transform the disused Shell Airstrip in Oloibiri oil well, Bayelsa State, into a modern Air Force base. Sponsored by Senator Sunday Agadaga of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), representing Bayelsa State, the motion garnered widespread bipartisan support during its deliberation. Senator Agadaga highlighted the historical significance of the Shell Airstrip, which served as a crucial asset for oil exploration and personnel transportation following its construction in 1958. He expressed concern over its abandonment since the decline of Shell’s operations in the region, citing the detrimental impact on local livelihoods and environmental degradation. “The land itself appears to have been sentenced to perpetual condemnation as no agricultural activity, which is the economic mainstay of the local dwellers, can be carried out anymore due to the concretized topography of the soil,” remarked Senator Agadaga. Contributing to the discourse, Senator Isah Jibrin of the All Progressives Congress (APC) from Kogi State raised apprehensions regarding the financial implications of the project. While refraining from outright opposition, he cautioned against overlooking the substantial costs involved. In contrast, Senator Adams Oshiomole of the APC representing Edo State underscored the strategic advantages of repurposing the airstrip into an Air Force base, particularly in enhancing security measures in the region. Echoing similar sentiments, Senator Maidoki Garuba of the PDP from Kebbi State emphasized the critical role of the conversion in fortifying national security and combating illicit activities such as oil theft and pipeline vandalism. Senator Victor Umeh of the Labour Party (LP), representing Anambra State, emphasized the importance of preserving historical landmarks like Oloibiri. He emphasized that the conversion would not only bolster security but also elevate Oloibiri to a national monument, commemorating its historical significance. In his concluding remarks, Senate President Godswill Akpabio stressed the imperative of preserving historical assets like the Oloibiri Shell Airstrip. He underscored the potential of converting it into an Air Force base to bolster security and emergency response capabilities, particularly given its proximity to the Gulf of Guinea. Akpabio expressed optimism that the government would prioritize the reconstruction of the airstrip into an Air Force base to address emerging challenges effectively.

Nigerian Senate Debates Reverting to Old National Anthem

Senate Probes 'One Chance' Victim's Tragic Death, Maitama Hospital Negligence

Senator Michael Opeyemi Bamidele, representing the APC Ekiti Central, introduced the National Anthem Bill 2024 (SB. 461), advocating for the restoration of Nigeria’s original anthem, “Nigeria, We Hail Thee,” which was first adopted at the nation’s independence in 1960. Senator Bamidele passionately extolled the historical and ideological significance of the erstwhile anthem, emphasizing its pivotal role in shaping Nigeria’s collective identity and fostering unity among its citizens. With a nostalgic tone, he invoked memories of a bygone era when the anthem served as a symbol of patriotism, instilling pride and solidarity in Nigerians. Amidst the turbulence of contemporary times, Senator Bamidele argued that it is imperative for the nation to utilize all available means to cultivate unity and patriotism. He asserted that reinstating the former anthem would signify a resurgence of national pride and inspire citizens to work towards a more cohesive and prosperous Nigeria. In a poignant gesture, Senator Bamidele recited the verses of the old national anthem, “Nigeria, We Hail Thee,” in their entirety, underscoring its themes of brotherhood, justice, and prosperity. He urged his esteemed colleagues to rally behind the bill, highlighting its alignment with the administration’s ongoing efforts to rejuvenate national values and consciousness. However, amidst the fervent support for the old anthem, dissenting voices arose, cautioning against the abandonment of the current anthem, “Arise, O Compatriots,” which was adopted in 1978. These senators acknowledged the historical significance of “Nigeria, We Hail Thee” but emphasized the importance of considering the contemporary symbolism embodied in the existing anthem. Following extensive debate, the Bill was referred to the Senate Committee on Judiciary and Federal Character for further review, with a mandate to report back within four weeks.

Kano Assembly dethrones five emirs

The Kano State House of Assembly has passed the Kano Emirates Council Law (repeal bill) 2024 on Thursday. This was sequel to deliberations on the floor of the house during plenary on Thursday. The law, which was passed after scaling 3rd reading, had abolished the establishment of five emirate councils in the state. The new bill would revert the state’s highest ranking traditional institution to its former structure of one emir as all the offices established under the previous law had been dissolved. The bill had also provided that all district heads elevated or appointed under the repealed law are to revert to their previous positions. The bill, titled Kano State Emirates Council (Amendment number 2) Law, 2024, was sponsored by the Majority Leader and member representing the Dala Constituency, Lawan Hussaini Chediyar Yan Gurasa. Recall that the former governor of the state, Abdullahi Ganduje, on December 5, 2019, assented to the law that created five new emirates in the state. The governor assented to an amendment to the law on 14 October, 2020 and signed another amendment on 11 April, 2023.

Why I Will Keep Contesting For Presidency – Atiku

The 2023 presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar, has said he will keep contesting for the Nigerian presidency as long as he is hale and hearty. The former Vice President is 77 years old and will be 81 in three years, ahead of the 2027 presidential election. The PDP chieftain ran for the country’s number one office six times but has been on the ballot as a presidential candidate on three occasions in 2007, 2019, and 2023. Speaking on Wednesday during an interview on the Hausa service of the Voice of America (VOA) in Abuja, Atiku said he will continue to contest for the presidency because of his love for the country. The former vice president said he is consoled by the fact that former United States President Abraham Lincoln did not win the presidential vote on the first time of asking. He said: “Of course, I will keep contesting again and again as long as I am alive and healthy. “Even the former US President Abraham Lincoln contested seven times before finally winning.”

Police Arrest, Detain Another Editor in Abuja

Police operatives have arrested the Publisher and Editor-in-Chief of Global Upfront newspapers (Online), Madu Onuorah, in Abuja. It was gathered that Onuorah was arrested by the police at about 6 p.m. on Wednesday, May 22, 2024. About ten fully armed policemen in two Sienna buses were said to have stormed his residence in the Lugbe area of Abuja. The management of Globalupfront Newspapers, in a statement on Wednesday, said the Editor was arrested in the presence of his wife and children who fruitlessly demanded from the police why they were arresting the head of the family. The organisation added: “The police have seized Onuorah’s phones, thereby completely cutting him off from communication with people, including his family members. “He was not even allowed to contact his lawyer or any of his relations before he was whisked away to the Lugbe police station by the stern-looking operatives. “To make sure Mr. Onuorah did not get attention or bail, the policemen who arrested him, though not of the Lugbe Police Station, simply dumped him at the Station and left no traces for friends and family members to reach them.” The management said the police should release Onuorah “immediately and unconditionally”. The platform noted: “Mr. Onuorah is an experienced Journalist, former Abuja Bureau Chief of The Guardian Newspaper, former Managing Director of The AUTHORITY Newspaper, who operates within the ambit of the law. “Anybody who has any issue against Mr Onuorah should approach the law court and not turn the Nigerian Police into a Gestapo outfit that bullies a man in the presence of his wife and children. “Any second Mr Onuorah spends in police custody constitutes a serious infringement against his fundamental rights and a continuation of the assault on freedom of expression that has become frequent occurrence in Nigeria recently.”