EFCC auctions 891 forfeited vehicles

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) says it will conduct an electronic auction of 891 forfeited cars between Jan. 20 and Jan. 27. The commission announced this on its social media handle on Monday. It stated that the vehicles were forfeited in line with the EFCC (Establishment) Act, 2004, Public Procurement Act, 2007 and the Proceeds of Crime (Recovery & Management) Act, 2022. Some vehicles listed for auction include Lexus Panamera Porsche, Crosstour, Mercedes Benz, and Venza, among others. It listed locations of the vehicles to include Abuja, Benin, Sokoto, Uyo, Lagos, Kaduna, Ilorin, Port-Harcourt, Enugu, Kano, and Ibadan. ”Interested parties have been directed to the following websites: www.rihogo.com, https://biznjeg.ng, www.areogunresourcesniglid.com.ng” it stated.
Bello/EFCC: Present your case transfer to Lokoja request in open court – CJ …Says defendant has pending appeal bordering on jurisdiction before Appeal Court

…’It’s improper to take any step that will amount to pre-empting Appeal outcome’ The Chief Judge of the Federal High Court, Justice Terhembe Tsoho, has directed that the request by a former Governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello, for the transfer of the alleged money laundering case instituted against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission to Kogi State be presented in open court. In a letter addressed to Abdulwahab Muhammed, SAN and Musa Yakubu, SAN, the Chief Judge drew the attention of the former governor’s counsels to a pending appeal in the case: Yahaya Adoza Bello Vs FRN wherein the defendant had sought a consequential order remitting the case to the Chief Judge for reassignment. The letter, signed by Special Assistant to the CJ, Joshua Ibrahim AJI, Esq, said as a result of this, it would be improper to take any step that would be tantamount to pre-empting the outcome of the Appeal. “There is documentary evidence of a pending appeal in the case Yahaya Adoza Bello Vs FRN filed on 17/05/2024 wherein the defendant as Appellant has sought a consequential order remitting the case to the Chief Judge for reassignment. It is not proper to take any step that will tantamount to pre-empting the outcome of the Appeal. “The main issue raised is jurisdictional in nature and will be more appropriately decided by the court. The matter should therefore be presented in open court,” the CJ stated. The Chief Judge noted that the main offence alleged bordered on conversion of Kogi State funds to purchase properties in Abuja, and that the filing of the charge could either be in Abuja or Lokoja. He referred to two ongoing cases before the FHC in charge No FHC/ABJ/CR/550/22 FRN Vs Ali Bello and another, and another charge, FRN Vs Ali Bello and 3 others, where a similar request for transfer was made and the lower court refused the application.
More woes for Yahaya Bello as EFCC placed him on interpol watchlist

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), has placed former governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello on INTERPOL’s watch list in three North African countries of Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria. Recall that the ex-Governor had earlier been put on the watch list of Egypt, Libya and Sudan. The anti-graft commission said the recent action followed an intelligence that the Bello may try to run to any of these countries. The watch-list was also activated ahead of the July 17 expected appearance of the former governor before a Federal High Court in Abuja. Bello is facing a 19-count charge for alleged money laundering, breach of trust and misappropriation of public funds to the tune of N80.2billion. The ex-governor has denied the allegation and has consistently failed to appear before the trial Judge, Justice Emeka Nwite on June 13 and June 27. At the last hearing, Bello filed an application for the transfer of his trial to the Federal High Court, Lokoja, the Kogi State capital. Speaking on the situation, the EFCC source said, “Ahead of the next hearing of the case, EFCC has activated many options, including taking a concrete action to watch-list Bello in North Africa. “We are aware of a botched exit to Morocco via Cameroon. We are determined to stop him from going on exile. “From Singapore, the EFCC executive chairman, Mr. Ola Olukoyede was in Tunisia where he delivered a paper at a session on illicit financial flows. Thereafter, he had a meeting with all the heads of INTERPOL in North Africa on the intelligence on the ex-governor. “He formally asked INTERPOL to place Bello on Red Alert in all North African countries and it was accepted. “The watch-list has taken immediate effect. He will be arrested in any part of North Africa. We took this step because we are suspecting that he had been bidding time not to be available for arraignment. “We expect Bello to be in court to prove his innocence. EFCC has to do its work to avoid bad precedent.”
EFCC Warns Against Planned Protest

While still unable to arrest fugitive former kogi state Gov Yahaya Bello, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has switched attention, issuing a strong warning to alleged promoters of a planned protest against the commission. A statement by the commission through its Head, Media & Publicity, Dele Oyewale on Wednesday, July 3, 2024, alerted members of the public about plans by some people to stage a protest against the commission. The statement reads, “EFCC wishes to alert the general public on the plan by a shadowy group to instigate a “protest” against the Commission. “In the last couple of days, the group has been actively campaigning in the social media, recruiting impressionable young Nigerians, including students, to take up “arms” against the EFCC. “This insidious campaign is being promoted as resistance to the operational activities of the Commission, especially in respect of the enforcement of the laws dealing with cybercrimes. The EFCC identified those behind the planned protest. “The Commission, while not averse to protests by citizens, is alarmed by emerging evidence that suggest a grand design by corrupt elements under investigation or prosecution by the Commission to exploit the so-called protest to orchestrate a national uprising that may threaten the peace and security of our dear nation. “As a responsible law enforcement organisation, the Commission will not tolerate any breakdown of law and order anywhere in the country, especially around its office locations across Nigeria. “EFCC, working in concert with sister security agencies, is therefore taking necessary measures to deal with possible threats to the peace and security of Nigeria. The Commission, however, appeals to parents, guardians and heads of tertiary institutions to take responsibility in ensuring that their wards are not recruited to be used as cannon fodder in a proxy war against the Commission by vested corrupt interests. “The war being waged by the Commission against corruption and cybercrime is to protect the future of the youth of this country. That future is imperilled if Nigeria degenerates further in global reckoning as a den of fraudsters,” the statement concluded.
After Lagos assault, EFCC arrests 27 suspected internet Fraudsters

Operatives of the Benin Zonal Directorate of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, on Wednesday June 26, 2024 arrested 27 suspected internet fraudsters at different locations within Benin City. The suspects were arrested following actionable intelligence on their suspected involvement in computer- related fraud. Items recovered from them include the sum of N590,000, nine exotic cars, laptops and phones The suspects will be charged to court as soon as investigations are concluded. This is coming after the operatives of the anti-graft agency assaulted a member of staff of Regional Hotel in Lagos in a night raid.
EFCC Picks New Date For Yahaya Bello’s Arraignment

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has reportedly picked a new date for the arraignment of former Kogi State Governor, Yahaya Bello. The anti-graft agency fixed June 27 for a hearing in the alleged money laundering case instituted by EFCC against Bello at the instance of the anti-graft agency’s lawyers. According to Daily Post, the new date was fixed without prior information from the defendant’s lawyers. At the resumed hearing on Thursday, counsel to Bello, Adeola Adedipe, SAN, told the court that the EFCC lawyers approached Aliyu AbdulWahab, SAN, who is the counsel for the defendant, that the earlier date, June 13 date, would not be convenient for them to proceed and that Wahab had to agree by way of convenience for another date to be set. He said he was surprised when he heard that EFCC lawyer, Rotimi Oyedepo was in court. He said, “They (EFCC) agreed that junior counsel would be sent to court today to formally pick a date. And the registry can confirm this. Kemi Pinhero, SAN, the lead counsel, has been calling us to say today is not convenient.” However, for the decision of the EFCC to seek an adjournment to a future date for his arraignment, Bello was said to be ready to appear in court on Thursday. Adedipe added, “Under 266 ACJA there are instances when defendants don’t need to come and this is one of them. “We came here to pick a date. Of what use will the defendant coming here be? It is the prosecuting counsel that approached us, we did not approach them. We have nothing to hide.”
Ondo Residents Protest EFCC Night Raids On Clubs, Arrest Of Bridegroom

Scores of residents, particularly youths in Ondo State, have protested the sting operation of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) at some night clubs in Akure, the state capital. Over the weekend reported, operatives of the EFCC stormed the popular Alba Royale Club and Signatures Club located in the Alagbaka area of Akure, raiding the fun-seekers. The anti-graft agency also arrested a groom-to-be and his friends who were at one of the clubs for a bachelors’ eve, confiscated mobile phones and seized vehicles belonging to those arrested. However, in a swift reaction, the EFCC Ibadan Zonal Directorate said it arrested 127 persons who are suspected to be internet fraudsters. In a statement, Dele Oyewale, the spokesperson for the EFCC, claimed that the suspects were arrested in an early morning sting operation at a “Yahoo Party” held simultaneously at the clubs. “Credible intelligence showed that the alleged party was initially scheduled for Wednesday, June 5, 2024, but was later moved to Saturday to beat security and intelligence networks of the EFCC,” Mr Oyewale said. But the invasion of the operatives of the EFCC did not go down well with residents of the state, who have been protesting the action of the anti-graft agency. Protesting against the EFCC invasion, Mr Olawale Odeyemi said the midnight raids on the clubs, the arrest and assaults of the youths were illegal and unacceptable. A renowned youth advocate in the state, Oluyemi Fashipe, condemned the action of the operatives of the anti-graft agency, describing the invasion as an abuse of citizen’s rights. Another protestor, Ewatomilola Emiola explained that the raid by the anti-graft agency was in defiance of its ban on night operation. She demanded that those arrested and profiled as internet fraudsters in the Akure clubs should be released unconditionally. Meanwhile, Abiola Makinde, the federal lawmaker representing Ondo East/West Federal Constituency, has condemned the raid on the nightclubs and lounges in the state. Hon Makinde, who also is the Chairman, the House of Representatives Committee on Human Rights, described the raid as an invasion of privacy of innocent citizens of Nigeria. In a statement signed by his media aide, Moshood Alli, and made available in Akure, Makinde urged the residents of the state to remain calm while the invasion is investigated and resolved. He specifically noted that the EFCC as Nigeria’s premier anti-graft agency, has a critical role in combating financial crimes. “However, it is imperative that in the pursuit of justice, the EFCC adheres strictly to the principles of human rights. “Reports of raids leading to violations of personal dignity and privacy, such as the incident involving a former Big Brother Naija housemate, highlights the need for the EFCC to conduct operations with respect for the law and human decency. “Please note that the agency’s mandate to investigate financial crimes does not exempt it from the obligation to respect human rights, which includes ensuring that raids are conducted legally, with proper warrants, and without undue harm to individuals. “The concerns raised by various incidents underscore the importance of accountability and the adherence to human rights standards to maintain public trust in law enforcement agencies. “I’ll activate the State Director of the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC), Mr Sunday Oyewole, to look into the matter. Any violations will be addressed between the two federal agencies,” he said.
BREAKING: EFCC Withdraws Naira Abuse Suit Against Cubana Chief Priest

A Federal High Court in Lagos has ruled in favour of celebrity bartender, Pascal Okechukwu, popularly known as Cubana Chief Priest, by granting a motion by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to discontinue its suit against him. The court’s decision comes after both parties revealed they were exploring a settlement in the matter. During the May 2 seating, the defense counsel, Mr. Chikaosolu Ojukwu (SAN), informed the court that parties were exploring a settlement, and the matter was adjourned until June 5 for a report on the settlement. The court then adjourned the case until June 5 (today) for report of settlement. However, on Wednesday, the defense requested an adjournment, and the case was fixed for June 25 for mention. Cubana Chief Priest is accused of tampering with N500 denomination funds while dancing at the social event. This the EFCC said contraves the Central Bank Act of 2007. He was later arraigned on April 17 on a three-count charge bordering on Naira Abuse.
₦19.4 Billion Fraud: Court Grants Sirika, Brother N200 Million Bail

Justice Suleiman Belgore of the Federal Capital Territory High Court on Thursday granted bail to the former Minister of Aviation, Hadi Sirika, and his brother, Ahmad Abubakar Sirika. The bail was set at ₦100 million each, with stringent conditions attached, reflecting the seriousness of the charges against them. Both defendants are required to provide two sureties, one of whom must own a landed property within the Federal Capital Territory, valued at a similar sum. In addition to the financial conditions, the court has restricted their travel, stipulating that the Sirika brothers cannot leave Nigeria without prior permission from the court. This decision comes after careful consideration of the bail application, with Justice Belgore stating he found no reason to deviate from the bail conditions previously granted by Justice Sylvanus Oriji of the same court. Ruling on the motion on notice for the 1st defendant, Hadi Sirika, the court held that “The prosecution filed no counter affidavit. He is already on administrative bail, he met all the bail applications, he continues to abide by the bail conditions, he has never been convicted of any criminal offence in Nigeria, he is a recipient of National honours, he has an aged mother he is catering for an investigation in the case has been completed. “It is my resolution that this applicant deserves to be admitted to bail and I so do.” Concerning Sirika’s brother, ruling on the motion on notice, brought pursuant to Sections 158, 156 and 135 of ACJA, where he requested a sole relief (bail). The trial judge granted him bail in the same terms and conditions as the 1st defendant (Sirika). The Sirika brothers, and the company, Enginos Nigeria Limited, are facing a ten-count amended charge bordering on contract fraud to the tune of ₦19.4 billion.
JUST IN: EFCC arraigns Emefiele for printing N684m notes with N18.96bn

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), on Wednesday, arraigned a former Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Godwin Emefiele for approving the printing of N684.5 million at the rate of N18.96 billion. Emefiele was arraigned before Maryann Anenih, judge of a federal capital territory (FCT) high court, and pleaded not guilty to all the counts. In the four-count charge filed against him, the EFCC alleged that Emefiele disobeyed the direction of law with intent to cause injury to the public during his implementation of the naira swap policy of the administration of former President Muhammadu Buhari. The anti-graft agency also accused Emefiele of unlawfully approving the withdrawal of N124.8 billion from the Consolidated Revenue Fund of the Federation.