Human Trafficking: NAPTIP Raises Alarm Over Baby-Selling in Akwa Ibom, rescue 68 victims

NAPTIP rescued 68 victims and arrested 62 suspected human traffickers in Akwa Ibom State in 2025, raising alarms over a rising trend of baby-selling and calling for stronger government and community support to combat human trafficking.
Taliban Carry Out Public Execution in Khost for Mass Killing

KHOST, Afghanistan — Afghanistan’s Taliban-controlled Supreme Court has executed a man publicly in Khost for his role in the killing of 13 members of a family. The Supreme Court identified the man as Mangal, who was convicted of intentionally killing another Afghan with a Kalashnikov rifle. The victim’s family declined an offer of forgiveness, prompting the so-called retaliation punishment, known as qisas under Islamic law. Mustaghfir Gurbaz, spokesman for the provincial governor, said the man had been involved in the incident about 10 months ago that resulted in the deaths of 13 people, including women and children. Two other men convicted in the same case have also received qisas sentences, but their executions were postponed as the victims’ families are currently abroad. Since returning to power in August 2021, the Taliban have reinstated corporal punishments, including public executions and floggings, for crimes such as murder, robbery, and adultery. This latest execution marks the 11th public execution carried out under Taliban rule. The United Nations has condemned the Taliban’s use of corporal punishment, saying it violates the UN Convention against Torture and calling for an end to such practices. Taliban officials, however, defend the measures as consistent with Afghan law and necessary for public security. The execution took place in a stadium in the presence of local residents and Taliban officials.
Police Confirm Murder Of FUT Minna Lecturer

The Police command in Niger State has confirmed the killing of Dr Funmilola Adefolalu, a lecturer at the Federal University of Technology (FUT) Minna by suspected assailant. This is contained in a statement by the command`s spokesman, DSP Wasiu Abiodun on Monday in Minna. Abiodun said the victim was killed in her residence at Gbaiko area of Minna on Sunday. “On October 29, at about 1000hrs, some friends of Dr Funmilola Adefolalu, a lecturer at “FUT Minna visited her residence in Gbaiko Area of Minna due to their inability to get her on phone. “Unfortunately, on getting to the house, the visitors met her lying in a pool of her own blood with marks of injuries on her body,” he said. He said that two knives with blood stains suspected to have been used to stab her by unknown persons were recovered from the scene. The spokesman said that the body was taken to the Ibrahim Babangida Specialist Hospital, Minna where she was confirmed dead. He said that the police have commenced investigation into the incident.
Nigerian Navy Nabs Six Impostors In Lagos

The Nigerian Navy has arrested six persons posing as Nigerian Navy personnel to engage in fraudulent activities. The Commander, NNS BEECROFT, Commodore Kolawole Oguntuga stated at the weekend in Lagos, that the NNS BEECROFT’s patrol team arrested the suspects in a raid at Ajah area of Lagos State. “The raid resulted in the apprehension of impostors who carry out nefarious activities like extortion and intimidation of residents, among other despicable acts while claiming to be Navy personnel,’’ he stated. He added that two Toyota Hilux vehicles, fake Nigerian Navy identification cards and other related documents were seized from the impostors. “The impounded vehicles bearing the inscription `SAIL NAVY’, the suspects and other exhibits had been handed over to the appropriate agency for further investigation and prosecution,’’ Oguntuga stated. The commander urged citizens to remain vigilant and to report any suspicious activities to appropriate authorities as collective effort was crucial in safeguarding the public from potential and fraudulent activities. Oguntuga also stated that eight stowaways were arrested on board a vessel on Thursday during NNS BEECROFT’s routine patrol of the maritime environment. “NNS BEECROFT’s patrol team arrested the stowaways inside the vessel’s rudder compartment and handed them over to the appropriate authorities,’’ he added.
Gunmen Kill 10 Persons, Injure One In Plateau

Tragedy struck the peaceful community of Kulben in the Gindiri District of Mangu Local Government Area, Plateau, as a group of gunmen unleashed a horrifying attack. The assailants, in a senseless act of violence, claimed the lives of ten innocent individuals while leaving one person critically injured. The harrowing incident unfolded on a fateful Sunday night, forever altering the lives of the community’s residents. Mr. Jerry Datim, a distressed member of the community, recounted the terrifying events that transpired. “Last night, at about 8:40 p.m., some gunmen attacked Kulben community, killed 10 persons and injured one,” he painfully shared. The attackers descended upon the village, their bullets tearing through the tranquility of the night as they fired indiscriminately. Panic swept through the community as people scrambled for safety, but tragically, some were unable to escape the hail of bullets, their lifeless bodies discovered later. In the midst of the chaos, the community did what they could to alert the security forces to the unfolding tragedy. “We alerted the security personnel, but before they got there, the attackers had moved from the community,” Mr. Datim revealed. The swift and ruthless nature of the assault left little time for intervention. Despite the urgency of the situation, attempts to reach out to the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Alfred Alabo, for an official statement were met with unavailability. However, an unnamed senior police officer confirmed that the law enforcement agencies had launched a comprehensive manhunt to track down and bring the attackers to justice. Axccording to him, the full force of the law would be employed to ensure that those responsible for this heinous act faced the consequences of their actions.
Gunmen kill newly-wedded couple in Plateau

Unknown Gunmen have killed a newly-wedded couple, both of whom are teachers at BECO Comprehensive High School, Kwi in Riyom Local Government Area of Plateau. The gunmen also injured the Vice-Principal of the School. The incident happened on Monday. The Police Public Relations Officer in Plateau, DSP Alfred Alabo, confirmed the incident to newsmen on Tuesday. Alabo, who did not give further details on the incident, said that the command was on top of the situation. In a statement in Jos, Mr Rwang Tengwong, National Publicity Secretary of Berom Youth Movement, a socio-cultural group, said that the incident occurred at about 3.00 p.m. on Monday. ”We are saddened by the invasion of BECO Comprehensive High School Kwi by gunmen. “Two teachers, Mr. and Mrs. Rwang Danladi, a newly-wedded couple, were shot dead. ”Mr. Dalyop Emmanuel, the Vice-Principal of the School, was seriously injured by the armed men. ”The teachers were holding a meeting to compile results of students in preparation for the school’s 2023 Speech and Prize-Giving Day slated for this Friday. ”The injured person is currently receiving treatment at the Jos University Teaching Hospital,” he said. The spokesperson decried the influx of criminals in some communities in the state. ”We call on security operatives to, as a matter of urgency, raid these communities that have become enclaves of criminals, particularly Fass and Mahanga in Riyom. ”This is necessary to get rid of criminal elements that have defied law and order,” he said.
NAF destroys boats with stolen crude oil

The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) says the Air Component of Operation Delta Safe (OPDS) has destroyed boats laden with stolen crude oil as part of efforts to thwart oil theft in the Niger Delta region. Air Commodore Edward Gabkwet, NAF Director of Public Relations, disclosed this in a statement issued in Abuja. Gabkwet said the air component had on Saturday bombarded three boats carrying stolen crude oil at about four Nautical Miles South-East of Bille, a riverine area located west of Bonny Island and South of Port Harcourt, in Rivers. He said the boats were sighted tapping crude oil from a pipeline. He added that the crew also observed an active illegal refining site with tanks and reservoirs loaded with suspected illegal refined products, about 4 miles South-east of Idama also in Rivers. According to him, the site has been subsequently attacked and destroyed. “Air strikes against these economic saboteurs will be sustained until they desist from their acts of thievery and economic sabotage. “The Chief of the Air Staff, Air Marshal Hasan Abubakar, has since directed all air component commanders nationwide to ensure they team up with other security agencies to sustain air strikes on all criminal elements in the country. “He said that days of treating criminal elements with kid gloves is over, saying that NAF must continue on the trajectory until they brought all of them to their knees,” he said.
Police arrest 5 suspects for various crimes in Bauchi

The Police Command in Bauchi State has arrested five suspects of various crimes ranging from armed robbery, burglary to phone snatching in the state The Spokesperson of the command, SP Ahmed Wakil, stated this in a statement made available to newsmen on Sunday in Bauchi. He said the five suspects were arrested for committing different offenses in different parts of the state. “Our operatives arrested 24 years old Umar Abubakar AKA (Barbertov) with a dangerous weapon, who trespassed into the victim’s house situated at Kandahar Area of Bauchi and attempted to steal the victim’s Jincheng motorcycle AX 100 model. “The police also arrested two suspects, all armed with Dane-gun and cutlass, who had stormed their victim’s residence on July 31 at about 2300 hrs and demanded money. “The command also arrested two suspects, Usman Musa, 18, aka Kan Daki of Gwallameji, and Usama Sulaiman, 18, aka Keya of Birshi Gandu for criminal conspiracy, armed robbery, causing grievous hurt and receiving stolen property,” Wakil said. He said the command recovered exhibits that included Jincheng motorcycle AX 100 model, machetes, Dane guns, axe, knives, cutlasses, stick laptops, and different models of phones, among others. The Spokesperson said the investigation revealed that the suspects belonged to a notorious group that specialized in terrorising innocent citizens’ houses within Bauchi metropolis and robbing them of valuables. Wakil said the suspects, during the investigation, confessed to their crimes, adding that they were currently cooperating with the detectives in mentioning some of their accomplices. He said the suspects would be profiled and charged in court without delay. Wakil said the Commissioner of Police, Mr. Auwal Muhammad, lauded the efforts of the operatives for their unrelenting commitment and professionalism in discharging their statutory duties to curb all forms of criminality in the state.