BREAKING: NELFUND postpones student loan application for state-owned institutions

The Management of Nigerian Education Loan Fund on Tuesday announced a 14-day postponement of the application process for student loan for state institutions due” to low data submissions,” a statement by the agency said in Abuja. The Fund said the decision was necessitated by the failure of several state-owned institutions to upload the required student data and fee information to the NELFUND Student Verification System. “To date, only a limited number of state-owned institutions have successfully completed the data submission process. These include 20 state universities out of 48, 12 state colleges out of 54, and 2 state polytechnics out of 49. “While we acknowledge the efforts of these institutions, the failure to submit data from the remaining state institutions poses significant challenges to ensuring a seamless and accurate verification process for student loan applicants. “The application window, initially set to open on June 25, 2024, will now commence on July 10, 2024.” The Fund said the extension will provide additional time for state institutions to comply with the data submission requirements and ensure their students can benefit from the Federal Government student loan scheme. To facilitate an efficient and error-free application process, it is crucial that all state institutions provide complete and accurate information. This includes JAMB numbers, matriculation numbers, admission numbers, full names, level, faculties, departments, duration of program, fees, and gender of all eligible students. Incomplete or incorrect data submissions will result in application delays and potential disqualification for affected students. The fund urged all state institutions to expedite their data submission processes and ensure the accuracy of the information provided. It further warned that Institutions that fail to meet the revised deadline risk disadvantaging their students, who depend on these loans to support their education
Minimum Wage: Presidency Sends Message To Organised Labour, Nigerians

The Presidency has pleaded with Nigerians not to mount unnecessary pressure on President Bola Tinubu over the new minimum wage demand. The government assured that Tinubu would transmit the proposed bill to the National Assembly once it is ready. Speaking to Punch, the Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga wondered what the rush for the transmission of the bill was all about. Onanuga’s position is coming barely 24 hours after the Organised Labour asked the President to consult with them before transmitting the bill to the National Assembly. The Union had complained that the National Executive Committee which will accommodate about 300 Labour leaders, is being stalled by Tinubu’s delay to transmit the wage bill. The President, during his Democracy Day broadcast, disclosed that a consensus had been reached between the Federal Government and Labour on the new wage, a development which the Organised Labour debunked. However, Onanuga, while admitting that he had no idea when the bill would be submitted, called for patience. “People should be patient,” he stated. His appeal comes one week after he reiterated that the ₦250,000 wage being demanded by the workers’ union is unsustainable, warning that the Federal Government cannot channel all its resources to meet such demand.
2027: Northern Politicians Who Visited Buhari Plotting To Unseat Tinubu – Shehu Sani

Shehu Sani, a civil rights activist and social critic, has described the recent meeting of Northern politicians with former President Muhammadu Buhari as a strategic move to unseat President Bola Tinubu in 2027. The ex-president played host to former Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on Sunday, less than 24 hours after ex-Vice President Atiku Abubakar paid a similar visit to him at his residence in Daura, Katsina State. Like Atiku, El-Rufai is not on the same page with the All Progressives Congress (APC) at his home state of Kaduna and at the federal level. Reacting, Sani, who represented Kaduna Central in the 8th National Assembly, described the move as an effort to regroup Northern political forces for the next general election, predicting that it would ultimately fail. In a post via Facebook on Monday, he criticized the attempt to revive Buhari’s political influence and mobilize support, cautioning against stirring Arewa sentiment without regard for the potential chaos it could cause. He wrote: “The recent visits by some prominent Northern politicians to Daura appears to be the Usual Eid homage, but looking deeper and beyond the facade, it’s surreptitiously a new attempt to build a strong northern alliance using ex President Buhari as a rallying point to challenge and evict President Tinubu’s Government in 2027. “It’s a regrouping of Northern political forces for the next general election.A project that will eventually kiss the dust. They want to resurrect Buhari’s political charm, fanaticism and mobilise the gullible to another hollow and bewildering end. They want to stock up and light up the Arewa sentiment without considering the inferno it would eventually generate. “The same Buhari that led Nigeria for eight years and left the North Worst than he met it. It’s too early to forget. By the time he left power, poverty and insecurity was at its peak than at anytime in Nigeria’s history. They had power and wasted it; what do they want to do with it again?. “A Southerner is in power just for one year. It’s too early for the desperate and power hungry northern elite to start plotting. The south never did that to Buhari. Their intended action has the capacity of ruining the democratic process and wrecking the fragile unity of the country when the south is awakened to this reality. “Their obsession with power is condemnable. Opposition to Tinubu from the point of policies, promises and programs of his administration is a democratic right of any Nigerian. People have the right to speak and criticize the Government. “But attempts to whip up Northern sentiments to achieve their political ends is a dangerous political experiment and expedition at this material time. No serious southerner challenged Buhari for eight years;these power drunk Northern politicians are dragging the region to a new political journey through a land mine. “Buhari’s reign ensured nepotistical placement, installation and dominance of Northerners at strategic positions of authority and power for eight years. Results had shown that they only enriched themselves, pillaged the economy of the country and pauperised our country. “The Daura homage of the disgruntled and the obsessed will fail. Our people in the North should reject these faces and their plots. They have nothing to offer. From the abandoned Baro Port, Ajaokuta, Lake Chad basin refiling and Mambilla hydro power, they failed. They came to power when the North was in the hands of terrorists and left it in the joint hands of terrorists and Bandits. The Northern Talakawa should reject their antics.”
El-Rufai visits Buhari

Barely 24 hours after the visit of former Vice President of Nigeria, Alhaji Abubakr Atiku, Malam Nasir El Rufai, the immediate past Governor of Kaduna state has also been spotted at Daura on a visit to former President Muhammadu Buhari. While the visit is fueling speculations about potential political maneuvers ahead of the 2027 general elections in some quarters, some also think that it may have a thing or two to do with the emirate tussle in Kano as el Rufai’s bosom friend, Muhammdu Sanusi II locks horns with his cousin, Aminu Ado Bayero over Emirship of Kano. It will be recalled that Malam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi was dethroned and banished from Kano by former Kano State Governor Abdulahi Ganduje under circumstances in which many observers speculated had the tacit approval of President Muhammadu Buhari in 2020. Analysts who hold this opinion insist that since those opposed to Sanusi’s reinstatement are the heavy lifters in the current Federal Government and loyalists of former President Buhari, it will make sense for the former governor to appeal to President Buhari for his intervention. There is also the 2027 connection that the reinstatement of Sanusi will augur well for the emergence of a northern president in 2027 if Sanusi is returned as Emir of Kano as opposed to Aminu Bayero who may likely side with Dr. Ganduje and his co-travelers.
IGP Egbetokun Reacts To Call For His Sack By President Tinubu

The Inspector General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, has reacted to the calls for him to be sacked by President Bola Tinubu, saying those making the call were entitled to their opinion. The IGP on Thursday, during a meeting with commanders in Abuja, said those calling for his sack are entitled to their opinion and he won’t respond to the calls. He added that he has no problem with those calling for his sack from office as everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Egbetokun, said, “I won’t respond to a call for my removal. Anybody can call for my removal. “Anybody who doesn’t like me can come out tomorrow and say, remove the IG. That’s not a problem. We are all entitled to our opinion.”
New Minimum Wage:We Are Ready To Make Sacrifices, Pay ₦150,000-Sen Wadada tells Tinubu

The lawmaker representing Nasarawa West zone, Senator Ahmed Aliyu Wadada, has called on President Bola Tinubu to approve at least ₦150,000 as the new national minimum wage. Wadda made the call while speaking with newsmen in the Keffi local government area (LGA) of Nassarawa State. The Social Democratic Party of Nigeria (SDP) chieftain asserted that the economic situation in the country is the reason he is making such a demand. His words: “I have expressed my opinion in the past on the issue, and I am going to reiterate it here. “For me as a person, the minimum a worker should earn is N150,000, looking at the realities of today.” Speaking further, Wadada stated that he and other lawmakers were willing to make sacrifices in terms of reduction of their remunerations and allowances just to ensure Nigerian workers earned decent monthly salaries. He added: “At worst, it should be higher than what the government is currently offering.” Nigerian workers, under the auspices of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) are waiting on the federal government and national assembly to meet their demand on the proposed minimum wage. It is yet to be seen if the government and labour will come to an agreement soon.
IPOB Leader, Nnamdi Kanu, May Move For Negotiation With FG

Leader of the indigenous people of Biafra Nnamdi Kanu has through his lawyer told Justice Binta Nyako of the federal high court that he will under section 17 of the Federal High Court Act seek negotiations with the federal government. Lead counsel to Mr Kanu, Alloy Ejimakor made this known in open court after he moved two applications brought before the court. The first application is to move form 49 and an application objecting to the jurisdiction of the court. Mr Ejimakor says if the applications are denied they will move for the implementation of section 17 of the Federal High Court Act. Responding to this counsel to the federal government Adegboyega Awomolo told the court that he had earlier informed the defendant that he does not have the powers to negotiate on behalf of the federal government, the fiat given to him does not empower him to negotiate. The defendant should approach the Attorney General of the federation. The form 49 application is a contempt charge against the DSS for failing to obey the orders of the court, granting Mr Kanu unfettered access to his lawyers which the DSS has failed to comply with. The second application is challenging the remaining 7 count charge retained by the court after it had struck 8 count out of the 15. Justice Nyako held that she could not overrule herself, the defendant should go on appeal.
I left Nigeria better than I met it – Obasanjo

Former President, Olusegun Obasanjo, has said that his administration was one of the best the country has had so far. Obasanjo spoke in Abeokuta, yesterday, June 18, at the Safe Online Youth Fellowship Bootcamp organised by NerdzFactory Company, supported by Meta at the Youth Development Centre, Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library (OOPL). He recalled landmark achievements his administration recorded while in office between 1999 and 2007. He said he was responsible for setting Nigeria free from the bondage of immense debt, adding that he takes pride in the celebration of the 25 years an uninterrupted democracy, which started during his reign as democratic ruler in 1999. He said: “When I came in as elected President, I wanted to get debt relief because we were spending $3.5 billion every year servicing debt and the quantum of the debt was not going down. Today, I can say that I made Nigeria better than I found it from an economic perspective. “I found $3.7 billion in the reserves and we were spending $3.5 billion to service our debt. By the time I left, we had a debt of about $36 billion with the debt relief, and I left with a debt of $3.6 billion. Also, I left a reserve of over $50 billion. I also achieved excess crude for the country worth over $25 billion.”
South-East Govs, Igbo Leaders Plot To Keep Nnamdi Kanu Detained Untill 2027 – Ohanaeze Alleges

The apex Igbo socio-cultural group, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, has accused South-east governors, Igbo leaders, and National Assembly members of conspiring to extend the detention of leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, until 2027. In a statement issued by the factional Secretary General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Mazi Okechukwu Isiguzoro, the organization blamed the South-east governors for the deteriorating security situation in the zone. The organization stated that the Southeast governors and certain Igbo leaders had not provided the essential assurances required to explore political resolutions for the release of Kanu. The body expressed disappointment that certain South-east governors and Igbo leaders merely took photos with Kanu at the DSS facility rather than actively seeking political solutions for his release. The statement partly read, “Ohanaeze Ndigbo decries and brings to light the plots by South-east governors, Igbo elders, and National Assembly members to prolong Nnamdi Kanu’s detention until 2027. “The failure of some South-east governors to utilise their political ties to advocate for Kanu’s release is regrettable and underscores self-interest over communal welfare. “Ohanaeze Ndigbo underscores the crucial need for unity and cooperation among South-east governors and esteemed Igbo personalities, such as Chief Emeka Anyaoku, Pa Ebitu Ukiwe, Sen. Ike Nwachukwu, and others, in providing the federal government with assurances regarding Nnamdi Kanu’s future conduct post-release. “Regrettably, it appears some South-east governors and Igbo elite have chosen to exploit Nnamdi Kanu’s detention for personal gain, political bargaining, and the pursuit of political relevance. “Ohanaeze Ndigbo expresses deep concern over the behaviour of South-east governors, senators, representatives, religious leaders, traditional rulers, and other prominent Igbo figures who prioritise visits to Kanu in detention over seeking his release and addressing the pressing security challenges in our region. “It is paramount for Ndigbo to hold South-east governors, Igbo elders, National Assembly members, and traditional rulers accountable for the extended detention of Nnamdi Kanu, and refrain from laying blame on the federal government or President Tinubu. “The federal government awaits a united stance and commitments from the Igbo community to facilitate a potential release of Nnamdi Kanu.” Isiguzoro called on all stakeholders in the South-east to put aside personal ambitions and unite in the effort to secure Kanu’s release and address the security challenges in the region.
Tinubu sacks BPE director-general, appoints replacement

President Bola Tinubu has relieved Mamman Ahmadu of his duties as director general of the Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE). In a statement by presidential spokesman Ajuri Ngelale on Saturday, the president also approved the appointment of Ayodeji Ariyo Gbeleyi as the new DG of the BPE. “Mr. Gbeleyi is a renowned financial expert and award-winning chartered accountant,” the statement read. “He is a fellow of both the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN) and the Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria (CITN). “He is also an alumnus of executive programmes of the prestigious London Business School, Harvard Kennedy School of Government, and Lagos Business School. “He has over 30 years of post-qualification experience in diverse sectors, including manufacturing, fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG), investment & commercial banking, project finance, telecommunications, infrastructure, and public administration. “He was the board Chairman of the Federal Mortgage Bank of Nigeria (FMBN) and Commissioner of Finance in Lagos State from 2013 to 2015. “The President expects the new Director-General to bring his vast experience and competence to bear in this role to strengthen the agency as the national resource centre for capacity building and sustenance of reforms through the promotion of a competitive private sector-driven economy, ensuring social accountability and efficient deployment of public resources, as well as advancing effective corporate governance and fiduciary discipline in the public and private sectors.”