After Ningi’s Resignation, New Northern Senators Forum Chairman Emerge

The Northern Senators Forum has appointed Senator Abdulaziz Yar’Adua as chairman. Yar’Adua’s emergence is sequel to the the resignation of suspended Senator Abdul Ningi. Senator Yar’Adua, represents Katsina central senatorial district and a member of the All Progressives Congress (APC). Also, Senator Tahir Monguno emerged as the spokesperson of the Northern Senators Forum taking over from Senator Ismaila Kawu. Monguno, a seasoned lawmaker representing Borno North Senatorial district. Monguno is tasked with representing the forum’s positions and articulating its stance on key policy matters to the public and stakeholders In his acceptance speech, the new chairman said he is aware of the challenges facing the Northern region which Include: Security, agriculture,education, healthcare, drug abuse and human trafficking. Others are so numerous to mention. “In advancing these noble objectives, I am committed to streamlined activities within the Northem Senators Forum. We shall operate with transparency, accountability, and integrity, upholding the trust placed on us by the electorate. “Our legislative discourse will continue to be characterized by civility, dignity, and adherence to the rule of law as we fulfill our lawmaking, policy-making,and oversight functions”, he added. The forum he also said will in consultation with other distinguished colleagues to preserve the unity and progress of the nation. The Northern Senators Forum, comprising lawmakers representing various constituencies across northern Nigeria, plays a crucial role in shaping legislative priorities and policies affecting the region. The forum serves as a platform for fostering unity, cooperation, and collective decision-making among senators from the northern states.
Budget padding: I can’t be Controlled or Silenced – Ningi

After being suspended for three months by the Senate over his allegation that the sum of N3.7 trillion was not tied to any project in the 2024 budget, Bauchi Central Senator, Abdul Ningi, has insisted that no one can control or silence him from revealing the ‘can of worms’ in the Senate. The suspended senator also alleged that the Senate is trying to silence or get him arrested for exposing the alleged padding of the 2024 appropriation budget. Speaking on Arise Tv on Wednesday, Ningi said no one could control the can of worms he had opened. He said: “That is why I said I know this parliament very well, I have come a long way. And that is why we are speaking. Let’s speak. “Have they ever asked me since the beginning of this so-called crisis, where are your findings? Where are the documents? I’m not using my head to come up with figures. “Nobody has talked to me about evidence. Nobody has suggested even listening to me. All they are trying to do is to ensure that ‘how do we make sure that Ningi is silenced or arrested so that he doesn’t do anything?’ “I have opened this can of worms. Neither they nor I will be able to control it.”
Budget Padding Allegation: Senators Finally Reveal Amount They Received

In the ongoing debate over alleged misallocation of funds for constituency projects, senators have come forward to clarify the amounts they received from the 2024 budget. Contrary to earlier claims of receiving N500 million each, a Labour Party lawmaker, Senator Tony Nwoye and Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe disclosed receiving lower sums. Senator Nwoye, representing Anambra North, stated that he was allocated N250 million for intervention projects, while Senator Abaribe, representing Abia South, confirmed receiving N266 million. These revelations contradict previous assertions made during a heated Senate session, where Senator Jarigbe Jarigbe alleged that some senior senators had been allocated N500 million each. The controversy comes amidst accusations of budget padding, initially raised by suspended Senator Abdul Ningi. Despite the uproar, Senator Abaribe emphasized the importance of transparency and accountability, urging constituents to hold their representatives responsible for the allocated funds.
Senate and House of Representatives to Return to Main Chambers Following Renovation Completion

After a year and a half of conducting plenary sessions in temporary chambers, the Senate and the House of Representatives are preparing to relocate to their main Hallowed Chambers next month as renovation work nears completion. Recent progress indicates that the upgraded and reconfigured hallowed chambers are nearing the final stages of completion. Visible Construction Company Nigeria Limited, the firm responsible for the renovation, has already installed state-of-the-art chairs for federal lawmakers and extended sitting terraces. Tajudeen Olanipekun, the Project Engineer at Visible Construction, assured journalists covering the Senate last week that the remaining work is being carried out swiftly with expertise and precision. The goal is to transform the entire ambiance of the Hallowed Chambers and its surroundings, aiming for project delivery next month. This development aligns with a directive from the President of the Senate, Godswill Akpabio, to the Clerk of the National Assembly (CNA), Alhaji Sani Magaji Tambawal, emphasizing the urgency of the Senate and the House of Representatives returning to their main chambers. During an interactive session with journalists covering the Senate, Akpabio stressed the need for expeditious completion of the renovation works. He noted that the temporary chambers, used since 2022, are not suitable for hosting visitors from outside the country. Journalists covering the Senate conducted on-site assessments of the renovation progress, visiting both Chambers under renovation last Friday. They observed fully transformed, upgraded, and reconfigured hallowed chambers that meet global standards. The renovation project, awarded to Visible Construction Limited by the Federal Capital Development Authority (FCDA) in March 2021 at a cost of N30 billion, includes critical segments of the National Assembly complex. These segments involve office buildings housing accommodation for Senators and Honourable Members, roof watertightness improvements, enhancements to the cooling system, and the replacement of inoperable lifts throughout the complex.
NANS Reacts As FG Postpones Students Loan For Again

The National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) has voiced discontent over the federal government’s decision to postpone the implementation of the student loan program. The initiative, aimed at alleviating the financial burden on indigent students following the announcement of increased tuition fees in federal universities, has faced indefinite delays, as announced by the President Bola Tinubu-led administration on Tuesday. Initially conceived to cushion the impact of tuition hikes, the program’s repeated postponements have left financially disadvantaged students scrambling to find alternative means to cover their educational expenses. In response to this setback, NANS President, Pedro Chibuzo Obi, expressed frustration. He emphasized the urgent need for dialogue between the union, the fund’s management, and the government to address the challenges obstructing the commencement of the student loan scheme. Obi underscored the importance of ensuring the program’s effectiveness and alignment with the interests of Nigerian students. He highlighted concerns regarding the ongoing academic session, noting that the delay may compromise the scheme’s ability to provide adequate support during this period. He asserted, “The delay is regrettable, but we are committed to facilitating the scheme’s prompt commencement to benefit the Nigerian student community. Despite the current academic session being halfway through, we urge swift action to ensure the program’s rollout without further delay.”
FG Reopens Borders, Lifts Sanctions on Niger

President Bola Tinubu has directed the reopening of Nigeria’s land and air borders with the Republic of Niger, alongside the lifting of sanctions against the country, effective immediately. This decision aligns with the consensus reached by ECOWAS leaders to lift economic sanctions against several nations, including Niger, during the ECOWAS Authority of Heads of State and Government extraordinary summit on February 24, 2024, in Abuja. According to a statement by Special Adviser to the President on Media & Publicity, Ajuri Ngelale, President Tinubu’s directive signifies a commitment to regional cooperation and the advancement of economic ties. The sanctions lifted include the closure of land and air borders between Nigeria and Niger, suspension of commercial and financial transactions, freeze of assets, and travel bans on government officials and their families. President Tinubu has also authorized the lifting of financial and economic sanctions against the Republic of Guinea.
BudgIT Confirms Senator Ningi’s Concerns Over N3.7 Trillion Budget Padding

Sen Abdul Ningi’s observation that there was lack of a detailed breakdown for approximately N3.7 trillion of the N28.78 trillion 2024 budget has been confirmed as valid, and the senate may have erred by suspending the senator. BudgIT co-founder, Mr. Seun Onigbinde affirmed the validity of the claim by the senator representing Bauchi Central via a TV interview monitored by Nigerian Anchor news in Abuja. During an interview with Channels Television on Wednesday, Onigbinde emphasized that Senator Ningi’s assertions align with BudgIT’s findings, shedding light on discrepancies within the budgetary allocations. Senator Ningi’s initial remarks, made in an interview with BBC Hausa over the weekend, sparked controversy as he alleged a disparity between the budget passed by the National Assembly and the one implemented by the Presidency. He claimed that while the National Assembly approved a budget of N25 trillion, the Presidency was executing a budget totaling N28.7 trillion. In subsequent statements to the press in Abuja on Monday, Senator Ningi reiterated his stance, expressing readiness to face any consequences for his disclosures. He stood firm on his assertion that N3.7 trillion lacked proper documentation regarding project allocation within the 2024 budget. Addressing the issue, Senator Ningi stated, “We have established beyond reasonable doubt that N25 trillion so far has nexus in the budget. That means that there is money, there is a project, and there is a location. But we are yet to ascertain N3 trillion of that budget.” Furthermore, Onigbinde highlighted that certain “statutory elements” within the budget lacked comprehensive analysis. Specifically, allocations for bodies such as the National Assembly, National Judicial Council (NJC), Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), and Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFund) were noted to lack detailed breakdowns. “On that point, Senator Ningi is right,” Onigbinde affirmed. “There are components of the budget where there is no breakdown.” He emphasized the importance of transparency, advocating for detailed public disclosure of expenditures by these entities. BudgIT’s analysis revealed transparency issues amounting to approximately N3.5 trillion to N3.7 trillion, corroborating Senator Ningi’s concerns. In light of these revelations, there is a growing call for increased accountability and transparency within budgetary allocations, particularly in sectors where detailed breakdowns are lacking. Senator Ningi’s bold stance has ignited discussions surrounding fiscal responsibility and transparency in governance.
FG Postpones Launch of Students Loan

Barely 48 hours before its official launch, the Federal Government has postponed the launch of the Nigerian Students Loan Scheme indefinitely. The Executive Secretary of the Nigerian Education Loan Fund, Akintunde Sawyer, disclosed this known during an interview with ARISE NEWS on Tuesday. According to Sawyer, the loan scheme was postponed due to some corrections that were being made around the launch. “Unfortunately, I won’t be able to commit to a specific date. We are sort of waiting to ensure that all the stakeholders are aligned to make sure that nobody is blindsided, then we can actually roll this out in a meaningful, comprehensive, wholesome and sustainable way,” he said. The proposed bill sponsored by former Speaker of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, was supposed to start between September and October 2023, after President Bola Tinubu, signed it into law in June 2023. The Students Loan Fund would give interest-free loans to Nigerians for higher education. Tinubu, had said the programme would begin in January 2024, after missing the October deadline. In January, Minister of State for Education, Yusuf Sununu, said at a meeting that preparations for the program were finished. This included making the Student Loan Scheme website and planning how to start the programme. Also, Tinubu told leaders of the National Association of Nigerian Students that the programme would start once they added more features, like vocational studies.
The Fleecing of Nigeria by a profligate Corrupt Legislature… our senate has become the den of thieves

While we might have all been distracted by the drama and hoopla generated by Senator from the north, we all might have missed the bombshell revelations the scandals revealed yesterday. Earlier, a ranking senator from the south made an allegation that some senior senators each received 500 million Naira padding in the 2024 budget. Padding is the code name for the legislative fleecing of our commonwealth with illegal budget allocation in the name of constituent projects. It is a blackmail tactic that Sister Ngozi Eweala made a lot of noise about as the Minister of Finance and the de facto prime minister in which she alleged that senators and House of Rep members routinely blackmail the executive to include these graft as the conditions to pass the annual budget and to fund the budgetary proposals of the executive arm. Well, we just watched the confession video in the speech of Senator Bamidele on the floor of the senate. We might be tempted to gloss over the big news he made during that speech. He confirmed the allegation that some senators actually received 500 million Naira, an allegation by a ranking senator, which the other senators tried to shout down earlier today. Our senate is the den of thieves, who are totally disconnected from the daily struggle and anguish of the citizens. Not only did these leeches allocate hundreds of millions of Naira to order plush SUV for meeting the majesty of their highly exulted offices while their citizen starve to death, but the rut goes even deeper. This Senator Opeyemi Bamidele just confirmed on the floor of the senate the allegations that they each received 500 million Naira. He asked their constituencies to hold them accountable if they didn’t implement more than 500 million Naira investments in Constituent projects like boreholes and solar panels. For goodness sake, in 2024, our senators are celebrating borehole and solar panels, both signs of retrogression and underdevelopment. These people have no respect for us, and it’s our fault because we have abandoned politics to the worst of us and to the degenerates. When did they change the constitution to grant the legislature the executive power to fund and implement projects using their personal bank accounts with no accountability? We need to disband the house of thieves called the Nigerian legislature, where many are double dipping, drawing their pensions as former governors while fleecing our commonwealth through obscene renumeration plus the weekly deposits of illicit fund in their bank accounts. We all heard it on life TV when Senator Akpabio announced hefty Christmas payments into his colleagues’ accounts. It used to be Ghana-must-go bags and mobile phone airtime and wifi credits. Today, it is direct deposits or using the budget of MDAs to launder the fund, which is then clandestinely diverted to their personal account. We learned recently that ministers in the executive branch routinely use their personal bank account to transact official government expenditure. Sister Ngozi Eweala made a lot of noise about the corruption ridden constituency projects, which our legislators routinely used to blackmail the executive branch to pad our annual budget or risk the budget not being passed. No wonder the Senate has become the retirement gig for corrupt ex-governors. They are also bankrupting the country with one of the highest legislative remuneration in the world in a country with one of highest concentration of the poorest of the poor living on less than $2 a day. What an outrage. We need to thrash the plagiarized American presidential constitution and replace it with a homegrown, institutionally, culturally, and financially compatible one. We can’t no longer afford to support these super leeches who are bleeding us to death. They very quickly shot down today with alacrity, a member of cult of thieves who went rogue by spilling the beans about the sleece in the Nigerian Senate. We must break open the code of silence.
Remi Tinubu Finally Breaks Silence After Islamic Cleric Called For Her Death

Mrs Oluremi Tinubu, the wife of President Bola Tinubu, has reacted to a recent threat by an Islamic cleric in Bauchi purportedly wishing her dead. A viral video surfaced a few weeks ago where the Islamic Cleric declared that Nigeria’s First Lady, Oluremi Tinubu, deserved to die for her Christian faith while describing the Muslim/Muslim ticket that brought President Bola Tinubu to power as a scam. However, the First Lady, undeterred by the threat, said after reaching 64 years of age, she shouldn’t be afraid of death. She spoke during a courtesy visit to the Emir of Bauchi, Alhaji Rilwan Adamu before commissioning some projects in the State. She said: “I want to thank His Excellency (Bauchi Governor), he keeps assuring me that I am safe in Bauchi but I want to say that I am too old to be afraid. If God has granted me over 60 years on earth, I shouldn’t be afraid of death. “I thank God that you encouraged me to come. Nigeria belongs to all of us and this is the time for us to unite more than ever before.” Responding, Bauchi Governor, Bala Mohammed, condemned the recent death threats made against the First Lady, labelling it a “national embarrassment.” Addressing the incident, Mohammed expressed his dismay, describing the threat as unacceptable. He assured Mrs. Tinubu of her safety in the state and pledged to take appropriate action against the cleric responsible for the threat. Mohammed said: “Your Excellency, you have distinguished yourself not only as a distinguished Senator but as a politician who has opened the new frontier of politics and politicking. Your renewed hope is being given as hope because you have set aside all the differences of politics and partisanship. “And of course, I am aware of some of the challenges and threats to your life and person by somebody from this State. I was so disappointed and frustrated, but you made my day as a courageous mother, you decided to come to Bauchi. “Your Royal Highness, this distinguished lady has shown that Nigeria is really working and that Nigeria is one and nobody can play politics with our lives. We are very grateful, your life is more important to us than our own lives, nothing will happen to you. “ “And that renegade, we will deal with him and Allah deal with him, by the grace of God. On behalf of their Royal Highnesses and the people of Bauchi, we apologize for that national embarrassment, it will not happen again.”