NLC begins 2-day strike, insists N5bn palliative not enough

NLC, TUC Strike Not In National Interest – Presidency

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has initiated a two-day warning strike to protest the Federal Government’s handling of the challenges resulting from the removal of fuel subsidies. This move follows NLC President Joe Ajaero’s announcement last Friday. In his inaugural speech on May 29, President Bola Tinubu declared the end of fuel subsidies, triggering a significant surge in fuel prices nationwide and an increase in the cost of living. The NLC accuses the Federal Government of abandoning negotiations and failing to implement resolutions from previous meetings. On August 2, the organized labour staged protests against what they deemed “anti-people policies” by President Bola Tinubu’s administration. The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Trade Union Congress (TUC), and affiliated unions demonstrated in several states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), demanding the reversal of anti-poor policies, the release of withheld university lecturers’ and workers’ salaries, and an increase in the minimum wage from N30,000 to N200,000. Despite numerous meetings between the Presidency and the unions regarding palliatives for Nigerians affected by the petrol subsidy removal, no agreement was reached. Last month, NLC President Joe Ajaero argued that the N5 billion allocated to each state and the FCT to mitigate the impact of the subsidy removal was grossly insufficient to alleviate the suffering of the people. Ajaero explained that when calculated, the N5 billion would amount to less than N1,500 per person, raising questions about whether the funds were intended as loans or palliatives to the states or citizens. “The first increase in the pump price of petroleum products and the last one moved a lot of people from the borderline to a very high level of poverty,” he said. “Now, if you calculate it, you will discover that this will not translate to N1,500 per person and you ask: is that the impact? Is that really what we want to achieve? Let’s assume it’s a loan. What is really going to happen? Is it garbage in, garbage out? “If it is N5 billion, I think organised labour would want anybody to do the calculation and tell us how it is going to impact Nigerians on what is happening currently. If it is a loan, then it is too bad,” Ajaero argued. He highlighted the profound impact of recent fuel price increases on poverty levels, emphasizing that the proposed financial relief appeared inadequate. Organized labour has continued to call for transparency concerning the N5 billion allocated whilst questioning its effectiveness in addressing the ongoing economic challenges triggered by the subsidy removal.

NLC kicks off nationwide strike; says no overture from FG

NLC kicks off nationwide strike; says no overture from FG

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) on Wednesday began its nationwide strike, with its President Comrade Joe Ajaero saying that there has been no advances or promises from the Federal Government for them not to proceed with the industrial action. NLC President, Comrade Joe Ajaero, who spoke on ChannelsTV which was monitored by NIGERIAN ANCHOR, said the protests have begun in earnest, but however regretted the Federal Government’s nonchalance in not making any overtures to stop it. “As you can see, the nationwide protest has started and we are moving on. There has been no overture or promise from the Federal Government concerning this planned protest which means we are going ahead with it” Ajaero said. The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and Trade Union Congress (TUC) had faced a tough decision on whether to proceed with their planned nationwide protest or cancel it, with the Federal Government making efforts to thwart the protest. Chief of Staff to the President, Bola Tinubu’s representative, Femi Gbajabiamila, had on Tuesday urged the labour unions to call off the proposed strike, citing palliative measures announced by the President on Monday night as reasons to shelve the protest. He said, “We have laid out the plans, the interventions of Mr. President, as you all heard in his broadcast yesterday, we made it clear that this was just Mr. President’s initial rollout and interventions and that conversations will be ongoing as we go along. “And we appealed to Labour, we did appeal to labour to call off the protests for tomorrow. We found listening ears here and they did agree that they all accepted that Mr. President’s broadcast was a welcome development and that they will go back home to talk to the other leaders that are not present today. So we’re hopeful that they will do the right thing and call off the strike tomorrow.” Adding to the complexity, a Coalition of Civil Society Organisations/Labour Centre has cautioned the NLC and TUC against proceeding with the strike. They expressed concerns about the potential consequences on the nation, fearing that the protest could be hijacked by disgruntled Nigerians benefiting from fuel subsidies, leading to loss of lives and property. This cautionary message was conveyed in a communique issued after a meeting at Lagos Airport Hotel, Ikeja, attended by representatives of various civil society groups. It was attended by Razak Olokoba of Campaign for Dignity in Governance (CDG), Nelson Ekujumi (Centre for Social and Economic Rights), Titi Akosa (Centre for 21st Century Issues), Linus Okoroji (Humanity Services Project), Raji Rasheed Oyewunmi (Yoruba Citizen Action for Change), Gbenga Soloki (Campaign Against Impunity and Domestic Violence), Razaq Oladosu (Grassroots Democratic Initiatives), Ramat Abdulrazak (Women Grassroot Network), among others.  It awaits to be seen how the strike action will pan out after its first day (today).