NEMA Lists 18 LGA To Experience Flood

By Doris Isreal Ijeoma Residents in 18 of Delta State’s 25 local government areas have been warned to brace for potential flooding. The Director-General of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Mrs. Zubaida Umar, issued this alert during a one-day Stakeholders Sensitisation Workshop in Asaba. The workshop, organised by NEMA in collaboration with the Delta State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), aimed to address waste management and flood preparation. The theme, “Proper Waste Management and Flood Preparation,” underscored the need for proper waste disposal practices to mitigate flood risks. Umar emphasized the workshop’s goal of raising awareness about sustainable waste management and flood mitigation strategies. She urged stakeholders to support NEMA’s efforts in promoting proper waste management and reducing flood impacts. The Delta State government had previously established flood committees and set up Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) camps at strategic locations to manage flooding impacts across the state.

INEC dramatically ends defence against Obi, LP with one witness 

INEC dramatically ends defence against Obi, LP with one witness 

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Tuesday dramatically terminated its own defence in Peter Obi’s petition against them, after calling one witness and tendering four documents. INEC had through its counsel Abubakar Mahmoud SAN, suddenly announced the closure of its defense, calling one witness against the three registered with the Presidential Election Petition Court at the pre-hearing section. In his evidence-in-chief, the witness, Dr Lawrence Bayode, admitted that INEC suffered glitches during the presidential election but maintained that the glitches did not in any way affect the conduct of the election, collation of results, and declaration of final results. On the allegations of blurred result sheets on INEC’S portal, the Deputy Director of Information and Communication said that clear result sheets can still be obtained on request by those in need of them. Sequel to INEC’s closing of its defence, Tinubu’s lead counsel, Chief Wole Olanipekun SAN, told the Court that his client is fully ready to kick-start his defence against Mr. Peter Obi and the Labour Party on July 5. Olanipekun maintained that Tinubu is ready with his witnesses and documents to justify his victory in the presidential election. Meanwhile, further hearing in the petition has been shifted to July 5 by the Court.