BREAKING: We Won’t Allow Violence Under Guise Of Copying Kenya Protests – IGP

Kidnapping: Police arrest 32 suspects in Adamawa

The Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, on Tuesday, warned against any violence under guise of replicating the protest which shook Kenya. Following some policies which aggrieved Kenyans considered anti-masses, young persons trooped to the parliament and strategic places across Kenya last month. The protest had led to some reforms, including cabinet reshuffle. Some groups are currently mobilising for protest under the theme #EndBadGovernance But speaking at the Force Headquarters in Abuja during a strategic meeting with top police officers from the rank of Commissioners of Police, Assistant Inspector-General of Police (AIG) and the Deputy Inspector-General of Police (DIG), on Tuesday, Egbetokun advised those planning the protest to jettison the idea, saying the police would not fold their arms watching them engaging in violence. The police boss said the force’s decision was based on what happened during the last #EndSARS protest nationwide, insisting that the police, particularly has not been relieved of the trauma they passed through. The top cop said, “Our position is that the proposed violent protests are ill-advised and should be jettisoned fortuitously. We have the responsibility to protect properties and everyone, irrespective of their race, colour, ethnicity, or tribe, who are lawfully embarking on their daily activities. “We will, therefore, not sit back and fold our arms to watch violent activities unleash violence on our peaceful communities or destroy any of our national critical infrastructure and assets again.” According to him, the police have run background checks on many of the organisers and sponsors of the protest, it was found out that many of them are not living in Nigeria, and that they are only out to instigate crisis in the country. He added, “Before concluding this address, it is important I address an issue of urgent national importance which appears to have gained some momentum, particularly on social media, in the past few weeks. “Some groups of people, self-appointed crusaders and influencers, have been strategising and mobilizing potential protesters to unleash terror in the land under the guise of replicating the recent Kenya protests. “While the force acknowledges the right to peaceful protest as enshrined in our constitution, we must ensure that these protests do not snowball into violence or disorder. “As a nation, we have had more than our fair share of violent protests, with rather dastardly consequences. The last #EndSARS protest led to one-tenth destruction of public assets, including police stations, courts, and transport infrastructure, and the loss of several lives. “Tales of sorrow, tears, and blood followed what was supposedly intended to be a well-intentioned exercise. Rather than lead to any positive outcome, EndSars merely aggravated crime rates and insecurity in several parts of the country. “Indeed, we are yet to fully recover from the huge economic losses and deep-seated psychological and emotional trauma inflicted upon our people by these protests.” Fielding questions from journalists, Egbetokun also said that measures are in place to ensure that any hoodlums attempting to disguise themselves as protesters will be apprehended. He stated, “We have mapped out plans to ensure that no individual or group succeeds in fostering a reign of terror and anarchy on other law-abiding and dissolving Nigerians. “Consequently, I want to seize this opportunity to sound the note of serious warning to hoodlums who may want to take laws into their own hands in the name of protests. Do not worry.”

Police Initiate Inquiry Into Political Clashes, Violence In Kogi

Yahaya Bello Pays N497m WAEC Fees For 15,033 Students

The Kogi Police Command on Sunday launched investigation into alleged reports of political clashes and violence in Kogi as the Governorship election draws closer. The Police action was sequel to a report of alleged attack on the SDP Campaign train at Koton-Karfe where some persons were said to have been injured in the process through political violence. The Kogi Commissioner of Police, Onuoha Bethrand, in a statement issued in Lokoja by the Command’s Spokesman, SP Williams Ovye-Aya, said that the police would not tolerate any act of lawlessness in the state. The worried commissioner directed the Deputy Commissioner of Police, Criminal Investigation Department (SCID) to commence a thorough, diligent and wholistic investigation of all acts of political violence, accusations and counter-accusations on all the political parties and actors with a view to bringing all offenders to book. Bethrand condemned some politicians whose stock-in-trade is violence and who have taken it upon themselves to cause mayhem and heat up the state through their unguarded utterances and unregulated activities. “I hereby sternly warn all the Political Parties in the state and their supporters to play by the Rules and stop heating up the state or face severe sanctions. “You should all desist from all forms of violence as anyone caught disrupting the prevailing peaceful environment in the state will be made to face the full wrath of the Law. “Moreso that the Governorship election is fast approaching, we are appealing to all political actors to give peace a chance by conducting themselves in peaceful manner and shunning all acts capable of truncating the peace, tranquility and unity of Kogi. “Therefore, for the last time, I wish to warn would-be trouble-makers to have a change of heart and desist from acts of intolerance as the Police is ever determined to deal decisively with anyone who will not give peace a chance in the state,” he warned. The police boss also assured of the Command’s unwavering commitment to the protection of all lives and property in the state before, during and after the Nov. 11 governorship election. He, however, attributed some the crises or violence to the failure of most of the political actors to honour invitations and partake in series of stakeholders’ parleys/interactions, where issues bordering on security and the need to conduct political activities as enshrined in the Electoral Act are discussed. “Again, not all the Chairmen and Candidates of the other Political Parties honour Police Invitations to discuss petitions and/or allegations with the Police, and other salient issues germane to peaceful campaigns, and that of the Inter-Agency Consultative Committee on Election Security. “For the record, several invitations extended to the SDP and ADC Candidates for interaction and consultation with the Police to shed light, provide explanations and give their own side of the story on Petitions written against them, but to no avail. “While these other parties have been carrying the police along in their activities, the SDP candidate has consistently and vehemently refused to honour any of police invitations for investigation, or inform the me nor the command while embarking on political rallies to enable the police provide adequate security coverage. “His (SDP Candidate’s) refusal to deal with the police is undermining peace in the State, has been impeding efforts to streamline and regulate political activities. “It has in turn, greatly contributed to the pockets of political violence being witnessed in the State presently. His riding roughshod and engaging in political brinkmanship and brigandage is an illwind that blows no one any good,” he noted. The police commissioner, however, expressed his sympathy to victims of last Friday’s Koton Karfe political violence that left some people wounded. 

Gunmen Kill 7 Imo JTF Operatives, Set 2 Patrol Vans Ablaze

Gunmen Kill 7 Imo JTF Operatives, Set 2 Patrol Vans Ablaze

Unidentified gunmen, on Tuesday, killed at least seven Joint Task Force (JTF) operatives in an ambush at Umualumaku settlement in Ehime Mbano Local Government Area of Imo. The incident occurred at about midday, when the operatives arrived at the spot and getting set to mount a checkpoint. The deceased operatives comprised personnel from the Nigeria Army, Police and Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps. An eyewitness account said that the assailants also set the two patrol vans belonging to the task force ablaze, together with the remains of the operatives. “I heard gunshots for some minutes but didn’t know what was actually happening. “Another driver told us that soldiers and policemen were killed and burnt in two Hilux Vans just a few meters ahead of us,” a commuter bus operator said. He further said on the condition of anonymity that motorists, who were plying the route, immediately began to make U-turn and diverted to other roads. The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in the state, ASP Henry Okoye, confirmed the incident but pleaded for time to get the full details of the gruesome murder. 

Gunmen Kill 10 Persons, Injure One In Plateau

Gunmen Kill 10 Persons, Injure One In Plateau

Tragedy struck the peaceful community of Kulben in the Gindiri District of Mangu Local Government Area, Plateau, as a group of gunmen unleashed a horrifying attack. The assailants, in a senseless act of violence, claimed the lives of ten innocent individuals while leaving one person critically injured. The harrowing incident unfolded on a fateful Sunday night, forever altering the lives of the community’s residents. Mr. Jerry Datim, a distressed member of the community, recounted the terrifying events that transpired. “Last night, at about 8:40 p.m., some gunmen attacked Kulben community, killed 10 persons and injured one,” he painfully shared. The attackers descended upon the village, their bullets tearing through the tranquility of the night as they fired indiscriminately. Panic swept through the community as people scrambled for safety, but tragically, some were unable to escape the hail of bullets, their lifeless bodies discovered later. In the midst of the chaos, the community did what they could to alert the security forces to the unfolding tragedy. “We alerted the security personnel, but before they got there, the attackers had moved from the community,” Mr. Datim revealed. The swift and ruthless nature of the assault left little time for intervention. Despite the urgency of the situation, attempts to reach out to the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Alfred Alabo, for an official statement were met with unavailability. However, an unnamed senior police officer confirmed that the law enforcement agencies had launched a comprehensive manhunt to track down and bring the attackers to justice. Axccording to him, the full force of the law would be employed to ensure that those responsible for this heinous act faced the consequences of their actions.

Gunmen kill newly-wedded couple in Plateau

Gunmen kill newly-wedded couple in Plateau

Unknown Gunmen have killed a newly-wedded couple, both of whom are teachers at BECO Comprehensive High School, Kwi in Riyom Local Government Area of Plateau. The gunmen also injured the Vice-Principal of the School. The incident happened on Monday. The Police Public Relations Officer in Plateau, DSP Alfred Alabo, confirmed the incident to newsmen on Tuesday. Alabo, who did not give further details on the incident, said that the command was on top of the situation. In a statement in Jos, Mr Rwang Tengwong, National Publicity Secretary of Berom Youth Movement, a socio-cultural group, said that the incident occurred at about 3.00 p.m. on Monday. ”We are saddened by the invasion of BECO Comprehensive High School Kwi by gunmen. “Two teachers, Mr. and Mrs. Rwang Danladi, a newly-wedded couple, were shot dead. ”Mr. Dalyop Emmanuel, the Vice-Principal of the School, was seriously injured by the armed men. ”The teachers were holding a meeting to compile results of students in preparation for the school’s 2023 Speech and Prize-Giving Day slated for this Friday. ”The injured person is currently receiving treatment at the Jos University Teaching Hospital,” he said. The spokesperson decried the influx of criminals in some communities in the state. ”We call on security operatives to, as a matter of urgency, raid these communities that have become enclaves of criminals, particularly Fass and Mahanga in Riyom. ”This is necessary to get rid of criminal elements that have defied law and order,” he said.