Tinubu postpones FEC meeting in honour of late COAS Lagbaja

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has postponed the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting in honour of the late Chief of Army Staff, Taoreed Lagbaja, who passed away on Tuesday night. Tinubu also ordered flags to be flown at half-staff nationwide for seven days in honour of the departed general. Lagbaja served as Chief of Army Staff from June 19, 2023, till his death on November 5, 2024. The postponement of the FEC meeting was contained in a statement by the Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, on Wednesday, November 6. The statement reads: “President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, commander-in-chief of the Armed Forces, has ordered rescheduling the Federal Executive Council meeting till another date to be announced.” Initially scheduled for today, the council meeting was postponed in honour of Lt. General Taoreed Lagbaja, the Chief of Army Staff, who passed away on Tuesday night. “General Lagbaja served as the Chief of Army Staff from June 19, 2023, till his death on November 5, 2024.” President Tinubu also ordered flags to be flown at half-staff nationwide for seven days in honour of the departed general.” Earlier today, President Tinubu expressed his heartfelt condolences to the Lagbaja family and the Nigerian Armed Forces. “He wished Lt. General Lagbaja eternal peace and honoured his significant contributions to the nation.”

No leadership vacuum during COAS leave, Army affirms

The Nigerian Army has stated that the absence of the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Taoreed Lagbaja, has not created any leadership vacuum within the service. The Army explained that Lagbaja is on official leave, and necessary protocols have been put in place for the Chief of Policy and Plans (Army), Major General Abdulsalami Ibrahim, to act on behalf of the COAS during his absence. In a statement on Saturday, the Director of Army Public Relations, Maj. Gen. Onyema Nwachukwu, emphasised that Lagbaja’s absence is not affecting the operations of the service. He said, “There have even been insinuations that there is a leadership vacuum, with officers confused about what to do. Nothing could be further from the truth. “To be very clear, the Nigerian Army is a highly structured establishment with well-laid-out procedures and processes for dealing with different circumstances. Before proceeding on leave, necessary protocols were put in place for the Chief of Policy and Plans (Army), Major General Abdulsalami Bagudu Ibrahim, to act on behalf of the COAS while he was away. “This is not peculiar to the NA, as there have been instances where unforeseen human frailty kept service chiefs away for about three months, and their Chiefs of Policy and Plans held sway in their absence. Claims of a leadership vacuum in the NA at present are therefore mere speculation, as all routine and scheduled activities of the service are on course.” Explaining that promotions for officers have not been stalled by the COAS’s absence, Onyema added that the results of the Captain-to-Major promotion exam had been released following the approval of the Chief of Policy and Plans. He said, “Indeed, in line with its Forecast of Events for 2024, the Nigerian Army recently conducted the Captain-to-Major Practical Promotion Examination in Akure. Subsequently, and in line with extant procedures, the Commander of Training and Doctrine Command, Major General Kevin Aligbe, announced the results after due authorisation by the Chief of Policy and Plans (Army), who currently represents the Chief of Army Staff during his absence on leave and medical check-up abroad. Additionally, the Master Warrant Officer to Army Warrant Officer Promotion Exercise is currently ongoing in Jos. “This follows a similar exercise held for Warrant Officer to Master Warrant Officer (WO-MWO) in Kaduna. The results of these exercises are expected to be released in the coming days, pending final reconciliation between the respective Corps and the Army Headquarters Department of Personnel Management.” Also, contrary to the insinuation that the COAS’s absence due to his leave has caused undue delays in the release of the WO-MWO promotion exercise results, Onyema clarified that it has never been the practice for the COAS to personally sign postings or promotions for officers and soldiers in the Nigerian Army. “The appropriate departmental chiefs perform these functions routinely. These Departmental Chiefs, demonstrating their unwavering commitment, are fully carrying out their responsibilities in line with the COAS Command Philosophy. “The Army Headquarters, therefore, enjoins the general public to remain confident in the NA and be assured that the service remains on top of the security situation in the country and is ever ready to defend Nigeria against any aggression on its land territory,” he added.

We’re Revitalising Nigerian Army’s Air Wing For Enhanced Operations -COAS

We’re Revitalising Nigerian Army's Air Wing For Enhanced Operations -COAS

The Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt.-Gen. Taoreed Lagbaja, has announced the Army’s plans to revitalize its Air wing to enhance its operational capabilities and alleviate the burden on the Nigerian Air Force (NAF).  Lagbaja made this revelation during a press briefing on Tuesday after addressing participants of Senior Course 46 at the Armed Forces Command and Staff College (AFCSC) Jaji. The COAS highlighted the need for the Nigerian Army to acquire helicopters that would support troops during patrols and various operations, enabling them to effectively combat adversaries. This strategic move would also allow the NAF to focus more on delivering high operational and strategic requirements. Furthermore, Lagbaja emphasized that the newly established air wing would empower the Army to handle tactical requirements, including air interdictions. He clarified that both the Army and the NAF would continue to collaborate effectively to address the security challenges facing the nation. In explaining the rationale behind acquiring helicopters, Lt.-Gen. Lagbaja mentioned that it aligns with global military practices for the Army to possess integral helicopter units while delegating strategic demands to the Air Force. The helicopters would provide critical functions such as intelligence surveillance, reconnaissance reports, and air interdiction. However, for large-scale strategic offensives, the NAF would remain the primary force. Discussing his command philosophy, the COAS shared that he aims to transform the Nigerian Army into a highly trained, well-equipped, and motivated force, capable of fulfilling its constitutional responsibilities. He stressed the importance of joint efforts among various military services and commanders at all levels to achieve a more effective Nigerian Army. The Commandant of AFCSC, AVM Hassan Alhaji, expressed his gratitude to Lt.-Gen. Lagbaja for personally delivering the lecture and providing valuable insights into the direction of the Nigerian Army. He encouraged the officers to embrace the leadership qualities advocated by the COAS to enhance their command capabilities and fulfill their assigned tasks effectively.

Troops counter Boko Haram attack in Borno, eliminate insurgents

Troops Rescue 6 Kidnap Victims, Neutralise One Bandit In Kaduna

A successful counter-operation by the Joint Task Force North East Operation HADIN KAI (OPHK) has resulted in the thwarting of a Boko Haram terrorist attack, leading to the neutralization of two militants in Konduga LGA, Borno State. In an official statement released to journalists, Brigadier General Onyema Nwachukwu, the army spokesman, provided insights into the operation. The ambush was meticulously executed at a known crossing point for the terrorists called Kuka. General Nwachukwu highlighted the troops’ strategically advantageous position, enabling them to engage the unsuspecting Boko Haram members in a fierce firefight. A swift and coordinated action led to the neutralization of two terrorists, causing the others to disperse in panic. The aftermath of the operation yielded substantial gains for the troops. They successfully secured 63 rounds of 12.7mm ammunition, an improvised explosive device (IED) shell, five Pento injections, and a cash sum of Nineteen Thousand, Four Hundred and Sixty Naira. In a closely linked incident that underscores the mounting pressure on Boko Haram, a notorious member of the group surrendered to the 222 Battalion stationed at Geizuwa, also in Konduga LGA. The surrendered insurgent relinquished an AK47 rifle, a magazine, and 26 rounds of 7.62mm special ammunition. Currently undergoing detailed profiling, the surrendered individual’s actions and affiliations will be further scrutinized. Lieutenant General Taoreed Lagbaja, the Chief of Army Staff, lauded the troops for their unwavering vigilance and remarkable combat spirit. He urged them to sustain their current momentum, emphasizing the vital objective of completely eradicating any remnants of terrorists and bandits within their operational jurisdiction.

COAS reaffirms military’s commitment to Nigeria’s democracy

COAS reaffirms military’s commitment to Nigeria’s democracy

The Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt.-Gen. Taoreed Lagbaja, has reaffirmed the commitment of the Nigerian Army to supporting and protecting democracy in Nigeria. Lagbaja said this at the Passing Out Parade and Commissioning/Oath Taking Ceremony for Executive Commission Course 1/2023, on Saturday in Jaji, Kaduna State. This is contained in a statement by the Director, Army Public Relations, Brig.-Gen. Onyema Nwachukwu, on Saturday in Abuja. According to Lagbaja, the only thing better than democracy for Nigeria in this modern era is more democracy. He said that subordination of the military to constituted authority remains the most fashionable means of promoting military professionalism. The COAS said that the desire of every Nigerian was to have a flourishing and uninterrupted constitutional democratic governance that promotes national values and the interest of every well-meaning Nigerian, irrespective of ethnic or religious affiliation. “I therefore charge all Nigerian army personnel to be proud champions of our flourishing democracy and remain apolitical in discharging their constitutional duties. “The Nigerian army remains committed to ensuring the security of lives and property across the country. “We are working assiduously to protect the territorial integrity of the nation and support relevant security agencies in ensuring the security of lives and property within the country,” he said. The Commandant, Nigerian Army School of Infantry, Maj.-Gen. Oluyemi Olatoye, who superintended the training of the cadets, said that the commissioned officers had been imbued with the requisite skills to function as officers. Olatoye said that the newly commissioned officers had been trained to be loyal, courageous and dedicated in their service to the nation. According to the statement, Nwachukwu said the COAS, afterwards, conferred Presidential Commission on the Passing out Cadets, to the rank of Lieutenant, after which the Oath of Allegiance was administered to them. He said the 239 passing out cadets comprising 12 females and 228 males were already in service as soldiers drawn from various corps who were selected for Executive Commissioning, after three months of intensive military training. According to him, three cadets emerged in flying colours amongst their contemporaries. Cadet A Saminu came first in order of merit, while Cadet SC Nwokanta came second and Cadet OY Yahaya bagged the third position. “Highpoint of the event was the presentation of Parchment of Commission to the newly commissioned Officers. “After the Commissioning ceremony, the COAS paid an empathy visit to officers and soldiers who were wounded in action during operational engagements at the 44 Nigerian Army Reference Hospital, Kaduna.”