Katsina Varsity Suspends 6 Students Amid Allegations Of Colleague’s Murder

Katsina Varsity Suspends 6 Students Amid Allegations Of Colleague's Murder

The Federal University Dutsin-Ma (FUDMA), in Katsina State has suspended six students over the alleged murder of a 200-level student of the institution. This was disclosed in a statement issued by Malam Habib Aminu-Umar, the spokesperson of the university and made available to newsmen in Katsina on Sunday. The State Police Command had earlier announced the arrest of six students of the university in connection to the death of Abubakar Nasir-Barda, a 200 level-student. “The management of the University on behalf of its Senate, staff and student is deeply saddened, concerned and highly regrets the unfortunate incident involving some of its students. “It led to the sudden death of a 200-level Computer Science and Information Technology, from an unfortunate altercation over a female student. “The University Management has been up and doing since the occurrence of the unfortunate incident to ensure justice is served to all. “The management upon getting wind of the incident swiftly constituted an Interim ad-hoc committee to look into the case and feed management on development as they unfold,” he said. According to him, a preliminary report submitted to the management on Sept. 30, by the committee revealed that the unfortunate incident occurred outside the university’s campus. “But upon receipt of information, the university’s security were quickly mobilised to the scene for prompt intervention that halted further altercation between the students and apprehension of some students involved. “The matter has already been taken over by Police, which led to the arrest of six students that are in connection with the incident as confirmed by the Police official press statement,” Aminu-Umar said. According to him, the ad-hoc committee’s interim report had equally recommended the University Management to invoke session 5.5(a) Of the University Academic Policy by suspending all the six students involved in the matter pending the outcome of the police investigation. “Which the management has approved by suspending indefinitely all the six students involved,” the university’s spokesperson revealed. He said that while the police investigation was ongoing, the university management was assuring the public, particularly the university community that no stone shall be left unturned in ensuring justice was served. Aminu-Umar further disclosed that the university management prayed for the repose of the soul of the deceased.

NCAA lifts suspension on XEjet operations

NCAA lifts suspension on XEjet operations

The Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) said it lifted the suspension on the operations of XEjet Airline following the resolution of an aircraft insurance challenge with one of the airline’s planes.  According to a letter signed by Director General Civil Aviation, Capt Musa Nuhu, after considering the submission of the airline and confirming it met regulatory compliance, the suspension was lifted. The document titled: Lifting Of Suspension On Your Air Transport Licence (Atl) And Air Operators Certificate (AOC) reads: Further to the NCAA’s letter on the above subject matter referenced NCAA/DGCA/GC/8/16/628 and dated 30 August, 2023, the Authority hereby lifts the suspension on your ATL and AOC after considering your submissions.  “Consequently, you have been cleared to exercise the privilege of your ATL and AOC.” Speaking on the issue, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of XEjet, Mr. Emmanuel Iza said: “The suspension is within the regulatory framework and we want to thank the Authority for diligently doing its work. We are happy to be back and we will continue to deepen our safety consciousness. “We sincerely thank you all for your patience, unwavering support, understanding and cooperation. We look forward to continuing delivering our premium services to you. Your safety and security is always of utmost importance to us.”

AAU suspends academic activities indefinitely

AAU suspends academic activities indefinitely

The Management of Ambrose Ali University, Ekpoma, Edo, has announced the indefinite suspension of academic activities with immediate effect. This is contained in a statement issued by the institution’s Head, Corporate Affairs, Otunba Mike Aladenika, and made available to the on Tuesday in Benin. Aladenika said the suspension of activities was announced in a memo signed by the school’s Acting Registrar, Mr Ambrose Odiase. “The suspension of academic activities became necessary following an emergency meeting of the university’s Senate in Ekpoma on Monday to appraise the continued protest by students running into days.  “In order to prevent a total breakdown of law and order as well as the need to guarantee the safety of lives and property in the university community and its environs, Senate was left with no other choice than to direct an immediate suspension of academic activities. “To this effect, all students residing in the hostels on campus are to vacate the halls of residence within the next 24 hours. “This is an indication that no student should be seen in or around the halls of residence of the University by 3.00 pm on Tuesday,” the statement said. Aladenika further said that the 40th Matriculation Ceremony of the university scheduled to be held on Tuesday, had also been put on hold indefinitely. Students of the university have been protesting against an alleged increase in school fees of returning students for about three days, thereby disrupting academic activities. The protest also led to the dissolution of the Students Union Government while the school management had severally denied increase in the tuition fees of returning students. 

NNPP makes U-turn, denies suspending Kwankwaso

NNPP BoT Expels Rabiu Kwankwaso, Dissolves NWC

The National Working Committee (NWC) of the New Nigeria People’s Party (NNPP) has refuted the purported suspension of Sen. Rabiu Kwankwaso, the 2023 Presidential Candidate from the party.Mr Ladipo Johnson, the NNPP National Auditor, stated this at a news conference on Wednesday the party’s National Headquarters in Abuja.Johnson, a former spokesperson for Kwankwanso Presidential Campaign Council, said that the suspension was null and void.A faction of the party headed by a former Board of Trustees (BoT) Chairman, Mr Boniface Aniebonan had on Tuesday suspended Kwankwaso for six months over alleged anti-party activities, after a parallel National Executive Committee (NEC) in Lagos.It also appointed the former National Publicity Secretary of the party, Mr Major Agbo as the acting National Chairman.But, Johnson said that Aniebonam and Agbo were on August 24 suspended for three months for engaging in unwholesome acts before they were later expelled from the party.He added that the party NEC, at its meeting on Tuesday in Abuja which was monitored by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), took certain decisions including the election of new national officials, change of the party logo and expulsion of Aniebonam and Agbo.“Is it not funny that all those people either suspended or expelled would gather somewhere and claim to have suspended Kwankwaso and also dissolve the NWC? “The jokers also appointed a CTC made up of those people who have ceased to be members of the party by virtue of our constitution. “Was INEC at the meeting? Did they write INEC? Who and who signed the letter? “Is it not laughable that Major Agbo, who announced the suspension of the former chairmen, the expulsion of two of them, and the dissolution of some of the states is now purportedly “heading” their caretaker committee,” Johnson said. He said it was unfortunate that some people had reduced politics and party administration to huge jokes. “The news that one person will sit somewhere and arrogate certain powers to himself is not permissible in a democracy. “We are using this medium to assure our supporters all over the country that there is no substance in the story. “Kwankwaso remains the face of the party, has not been suspended, and the NWC under Ali remains intact,’’ he said.Johnson however, admitted that Kwankwaso was invited to meetings by President Bola Tinubu on some issues saying that the meetings were far from being anti-party activities. He said that while Kwankwaso always took permission before attending such meetings, no conclusion had so far been reached from the meetings. He also denied the allegation that Kwankwaso hijacked the party from members who were in the party before he joined with his movement in February 2022. Johnson, however, said that the party leadership would do its best for possible reconciliation. Also speaking, Mr Oluwatosin Odeyemi, the Chairman, forum of NNPP state chairmen, said the purported suspension of Kwankwaso was politics of bitterness. “Let me remind you that the present secretary of that group was expelled from this party and Agbo was the one who read it out that he had been expelled. Agbo attended all the meetings of that committee. “So, you can see that it’s politics of bitterness. Something you read is something you agreed with. It was not as if you were pressure to read a release as the national publicity secretary. “So now an expelled person that you confirm his explosion is whom you are now regarding so as yours, secretary,’’ Odeyemi said.

NNPP BoT suspends Kwankwaso, others for hobnobbing with Tinubu, Atiku

Anti-Party Activities: NNPP BoT slams suspension on Kwankwaso, others

The Board of Trustees (BoT) of the New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP) has taken a decisive step by suspending Senator Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, their presidential candidate in the February 25th election, due to alleged anti-party activities. In a similar vein, the National Working Committee (NWC) of the party has also been suspended. This move has been coupled with the appointment of new national officers to ensure the smooth functioning of the party during this period. Dr. Agbo Major has been designated as the acting National Chairman, while Mr. Ogini Olaposi will serve as the acting National Secretary, both supported by 18 other individuals. The suspension, set for a duration of six months, was voted on during the party’s special general assembly, which took place at Rockview Hotels in Apapa. This course of action comes after the NWC of the party, on August 24th, suspended the party’s founder, Dr. Boniface Aniebonam, and the National Publicity Secretary, Major. Secretary of the BoT, Babayo Muhammed Abdulahi, addressed the media after the meeting in Lagos, highlighting Kwankwaso’s alleged affiliations with President Bola Tinubu, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), and Mr. Peter Obi, the presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP), without obtaining authorization from the board. As a consequence, Abdullahi announced the revocation of Kwankwaso’s position as the NNPP national leader. Abdulahi further emphasized that the suspension of the NNPP founder, Dr. Boniface Aniebonam, was a blatant and severe violation of the party’s constitution. He clarified that Aniebonam had already resigned from the position of BoT Chairman, leading to the election of Dr. Chief Tope Aluko as the new BoT Chairman, and Abdulahi as the new BoT Secretary. High Chief Tony Obioha was also elected as the BoT spokesperson. Abdulahi also stressed that the pre-election Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed with Kwankwasia Movement, The National Movement (TNM), and the National Association of Government Approved Freight Forwarders (NAGAFF) has been invalidated by the actions of the NWC. Abdulahi said: “The purported suspension of the founder is a flagrant gross violation of the NNPP constitution such that it is tantamount to recklessness and irresponsibility on the part of the incompetent NWC. “The BoT decided that material evidence in the public sector affirmed that Kwankwaso was involved in anti-party activities in various meetings, suggest political discussions with the President, Atiku and Obi without authorisation from the board. “This has earned him six months suspension pending the outcome of investigation by the Disciplinary Committee. “The BOT insisted that the avoidable violation of MoU between NNPP on the one part and Kwankwasia, TNM and NAGAFF on the other has no other choice than to withdraw from the partnership. “It is therefore to state clearly that the MOU have been rendered void.” Also speaking, the acting chairman said his team would hit the ground running by healing the wounds created by the suspended NWC members. Major said the party would remain the most ordinary friendly party in the country and urged other members that are displaced for one reason or the other to return to its fold. “We don’t intend to shut anybody out or censor anybody but we want to ensure that we remain on track and maintain our people-oriented ideology,” he said. The special general assembly meeting was attended by the new NWC and members from across the country. 

FIFA suspends Spanish football chief, Rubiales over Hermoso kiss

FIFA suspends Spanish football chief, Rubiales over Hermoso kiss

The Federation of International Football Association (FIFA) on Saturday suspended Spanish federation chief, Luis Rubiales from all football related activities for three months over allegations of an unwanted kiss on the lips of player Jenni Hermoso after Spain’s women won the World Cup. Rubiales` suspension from national and international activities takes immediate effect, FIFA said in a statement about the action taken by its disciplinary committee chief Jorge Ivan Palacio. FIFA had opened disciplinary measures against Rubiales on Thursday over his actions last Sunday in Sydney. He said he would defend himself to prove his “complete innocence”. Rubiales, 46, has been defiant over the kiss which has been condemned as unwanted by Hermoso, her team mates and the Spanish government – arguing it was consensual. Earlier on Saturday the Spanish federation he heads had said it would stick by him. After the FIFA statement, a spokesperson for the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) said: “We respect all the pronouncements of FIFA.” In a statement hours before FIFA’s announcement on Saturday, the Spanish federation said it would show there had been lies told about what happened by Hermoso or people speaking for her. The statement, issued on the RFEF website, said it would take appropriate legal action to defend Rubiales’ honour, but did not say what the action would consist of. In a statement through the federation, Rubiales said: “Luis Rubiales has stated that he will legally defend himself in the competent bodies.” 

Court orders DSS to allow Emefiele access to family, lawyers

Emefiele

A Federal Capital Territory (FCT) High Court, sitting in Maitama has ordered the Director General of the Department of State Services (DSS) to immediately grant suspended Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) governor, Godwin Emefiele unhindered access to his lawyers and family members. Justice Hamza Muazu gave the order following an oral application by counsel to Emefiele, Joseph Daudu (SAN) with Michael Aondoakaa (SAN) in a suit marked No: FCT/HC/CV/6450/23. Listed as respondents are the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF); the Director General of State Security Service and the State Security Service. The enrolled order dated June 16, 2023, reads: “The lawyers of the applicant shall have access to the applicant immediately. And regularly at reasonable time, pending the determination of the application.”  In his submission, Daudu informed the court that he has written letters to the respondents particularly on June 14, 2023, for the purpose of taking further instruction from him, but the DSS has refused to respond to the application.  Responding, counsel to the 2nd and 3rd Respondents I. Awo, informed the court that the DSS does not have the penchant for refusing such a request and that it is wrong to do so.  Awo assured that he is certain the Security Service would abide the order of Court and grant access to the listed lawyers and family members of Mr. Emefiele to see him, while counsel to the Office of the Attorney General of the Federation did not oppose the application.  Meanwhile, counsel to the DSS, as well as the AGF requested for an extension of time to file their respective responses to the originating motion, which was granted and the suit was further adjourned till Tuesday June 20, 2023 for substantive hearing of the suit. Godwin Emefiele, has been taken into custody by DSS hours after President Bola Tinubu suspended him from office. The spokesperson to DSS, Peter Afunanya in statement confirmed that “The Department of State Services (DSS) hereby confirms that Mr Godwin Emefiele, the suspended Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), is now in its custody for some investigative reasons.”