Supreme Court’s Verdict Sparks Exchange Between Peter Obi, Presidency

Peter Obi Slams Tinubu For Blaming Buhari For Nigeria's Bankruptcy

*This is not the end, Obi tells his supporters The recent Supreme Court judgment affirming Bola Tinubu‘s election as Nigeria’s president has ignited a fiery dispute between Peter Obi, the 2023 presidential candidate for the Labour Party, and the Presidency. Obi expressed his apprehensions regarding the verdict, alleging that it undermined the citizens’ trust in the judiciary. Despite the dismissal of Obi and Atiku Abubakar’s appeals by the apex court, he steadfastly stood by his commitment to a vision of a “New Nigeria” characterized by transparency, accountability, and the equitable distribution of resources. Obi made his position clear during a world press conference held at the LP National Headquarters in Abuja, stating, “This Supreme Court ruling may represent the state of the law in 2023 but not the present demand for substantive justice.” “Without equivocation, this judgment amounts to a total breach of the confidence the Nigerian people have in our judiciary. To that extent, it is a show of unreasonable force against the very Nigerian people from whom the power of the Constitution derives,” Obi said during a world press conference at the LP National Headquarters in Abuja on Monday. “This Supreme Court ruling may represent the state of the law in 2023 but not the present demand for substantive justice. “The judgment mixed principles and precepts. Indeed, the rationale and premise of the Supreme Court judgment, have become clearer in the light of the deep revealing and troubling valedictory remarks by Hon. Justice Musa Dattijo Muhammad, (JSC) on Friday 27th October 2023.” Obi further told his supporters that the quest for a new Nigeria has not ended. “Where the value and import of the recent Supreme Court ruling ends is where our commitment to a New Nigeria begins. Our mission and mandate remain unchanged. From the very onset, our mission has been more about enthroning a new Nigeria,” the LP presidential candidate added. Meanwhile, in a swift response to Obi’s critique, the Presidency issued a rebuttal, highlighting the apparent inconsistency in his stance. The Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, reminded Obi that he had previously benefited from judicial decisions when he successfully reclaimed his governorship mandate in 2007. Onanuga emphasized the paramount importance of judicial pronouncements being grounded in evidence, legal precedents, and the rule of law. Onanuga continued by urging Obi and the Labour Party to embrace their role as the opposition and begin preparations for future elections. He expressed the hope that in the upcoming electoral contests, Obi and his party would concentrate on addressing pertinent issues rather than resorting to divisive tactics based on religious and ethnic sentiments. “We are at a loss as to how the copy-cat Obi and his faction of Labour Party convinced themselves they won an election in which they came a distant third,” Onanuga said. “At the press conference where he tried, in vain, to gaslight Nigerians with false claims and innuendos, Mr. Obi contradicted himself. Here was a beneficiary of judicial pronouncements in the past now castigating the same court because its judgment did not go his way.” Onanuga said Obi and his party should know that the Supreme Court or any other court does not give judgment based on public opinion and mob sentiments. “Judicial pronouncements are based on evidence, precedents and the rule of law,” he said. The presidential aide said the ex-governor of Anambra should quit criticisms and congratulate Tinubu. “Having admitted that the Supreme Court ruling brought an end to litigation and any challenge to the bona-fide of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu as the validly elected leader of Nigeria and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, Obi should have congratulated President Tinubu for his victory and pledge his support, in the spirit of statesmanship.”

Tinubu Celebrates Supreme Court Verdict, Vows To Rebuild Greater Nigeria

SERAP, BudgIT, 34 Others Sue Tinubu Over Appointments Of INEC RECs

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has expressed his gratitude over the Supreme Court ruling that reaffirmed his election on February 25, whilst reiterating his commitment to building a stronger, united, and more prosperous Nigeria. Tinubu welcomed the verdict of the Justice John I. Okoro-led Panel of the Supreme Court on Thursday, which upheld the ruling of the Presidential Election Petition Tribunal. The candidates of the Peoples Democratic Party and the Labour Party had filed petitions challenging the tribunal’s decision. “The court has done justice to all issues put up for consideration in the petitions on the merits of the law, without fear or favor,” President Tinubu stated. The President praised the diligence and professionalism of the Honourable Justices who presided over the matter, affirming that the verdict solidified Nigeria’s electoral jurisprudence and constitutional democracy. The President’s faith in Nigeria’s judiciary remained unwavering, despite pressure and attempts at intimidation by some political actors. He lauded the judiciary’s commitment to upholding the rule of law and defending humanity. The ruling affirmed that President Tinubu’s party, the All Progressives’ Congress, had secured the popular mandate of Nigerians, paving the way for his leadership during a transformative period in the nation’s history. Tinubu further underscored his commitment to serving all Nigerians, regardless of their political affiliations, tribes, or faiths. The President’s renewed his Hope agenda for a greater and prosperous Nigeria, saying that it has gained momentum, and pledged to work tirelessly to meet the collective aspirations of the citizens. “We are all members of one household, and this moment demands that we continue to work and build our country together,” he affirmed. President Tinubu urged Nigerians to unite in their diversity and direct their energy toward building a stronger and more prosperous nation. He expressed his hope that the spirit of patriotism would inspire support for his administration’s efforts to improve the living conditions of the people. Tinubu concluded by extending his gratitude to all Nigerians for the mandate to serve the country, promising to exceed their expectations in service delivery and good governance. He concluded with a prayer for the continued blessings of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. The President’s statement reflects his determination to lead Nigeria into a future marked by unity, progress, and prosperity, as the country continues on its path of transformation and growth. SEE FULL STATEMENT BY PRESIDENT BOLA AHMED TINUBU, GCFR IT IS TIME FOR US TO BUILD OUR GREAT NATION TOGETHER I welcome the verdict of the Justice John I. Okoro-led Panel of the Supreme Court on the Presidential Election petitions filed by the candidates of the Peoples Democratic Party and the Labour Party, challenging the ruling of the Presidential Election Petition Tribunal. The court has done justice to all issues put up for consideration in the petitions on the merits of the law, without fear or favour. There is no doubt, with the profound judgment of today, that our electoral jurisprudence and constitutional democracy are further consolidated and embedded more indelibly in our national identity because of the diligence and undaunted professionalism of the Honourable Justices who presided over the matter. While the verdict of today has laid to rest the agitating discourse over who truly won the 2023 Presidential election and met the constitutional requirements as laid out by law, I want to reiterate that my faith in our nation’s judiciary has never been shaken, not even for a moment, because I know that our hallowed courts of law will not fail to administer justice to all Nigerians in all matters and at all times. Despite the fusillade of pressure and attempts at intimidation by some political actors, the judiciary demonstrated its unequivocal commitment to upholding the rule of law for the upliftment and defense of humanity. It was affirmed once more today, that my party, the governing All Progressives’ Congress, had freely and fairly won the popular mandate of Nigerians, which has since given rise to my leadership of this great nation at a tumultuous period of unprecedented reforms in our history as a nation. With deep gratitude to God Almighty, I solemnly and humbly accept today’s judicial victory with an intense sense of responsibility and a burning desire to meet the great challenges confronting our people. The victory of today has further energised and strengthened my commitment to continue to serve all Nigerians of all political persuasions, tribes, and faiths, with honour and total respect for the diverse opinions and uniting values of our citizens. Our Renewed Hope agenda for a greater and prosperous Nigeria has further gained momentum and I will continue to work from morning to night, every single day, to build a country that meets our collective yearnings and aspirations. We are all members of one household, and this moment demands that we continue to work and build our country together. The strength of our diversity and the great citizenship that binds us must now compel us forward in directing the energy of our people towards building a virile, stronger, united, and more prosperous country. In the days and months ahead, I trust that the spirit of patriotism will be elevated into supporting our administration to improve the living conditions of Nigerians. I am prepared to welcome the contributions of all Nigerians to foster and strengthen our collective progress. I send my immense gratitude to all Nigerians for the mandate to serve our country. I promise again to meet and exceed your expectations in service delivery and good governance, working with my team and trusting in the grace of God. May God continue to bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.