Simon Ekpa: Finnish Authorities Release Two Suspects

Two individuals arrested alongside Simon Ekpa in November 2024 for alleged terror-related offences have been released by the Finnish government. Ekpa, a key figure accused of inciting violence and financing terrorism in Nigeria, remains in custody. The suspects were part of a group of five detained by Finnish authorities over claims of promoting extremist activities via social media, The Nation reports. While specific details regarding the release of the two individuals remain unclear, government insiders confirmed the development without providing further explanation. Meanwhile, Nigeria has begun extradition procedures for Ekpa, with the Chief of Defence Staff confirming that required documents have been submitted to Finland.

FG Monitors Ekpa’s Trial in Finland

The Nigerian government is closely watching the legal proceedings against Simon Ekpa, the Nigerian-Finnish leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), following his arrest in Finland.  Ekpa was taken into custody on November 21, 2024, after Finnish authorities charged him with inciting terrorism and promoting violence through social media. The Finnish District Court of Päijät-Häme ordered his detention based on the severity of the charges, which allege that Ekpa’s online activities have fueled violence in Nigeria’s South-East region.  PLEASE READ: HOW NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT PRESSURED FINNISH AUTHORITIES TO ARREST SIMON EKPA – Official In a statement, the Nigerian Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed the arrest and reiterated its commitment to tracking the case as it unfolds, noting the importance of addressing the actions of transnational groups like IPOB that pose a threat to Nigeria’s security. Previously, the Nigerian government had urged Finland to take action against Ekpa’s activities.  As the legal proceedings continue, officials have pledged to monitor the situation and ensure that the matter is dealt with in accordance with Finnish law.

Again, troops destroy more IPOB/ESN camps in Anambra, Imo

Again, troops destroy more IPOB/ESN camps in Anambra, Imo

A combined troop of 82 Division, Nigerian Army, sister Services, Nigeria Police, and other security agencies have successfully raided hideouts and training camps belonging to the IPOB/ESN in Orsumoghu Forest spanning Anambra and Imo States. This is contained in a statement by the Director, Army Public Relations, Brig.-Gen. Onyema Nwachukwu, on Tuesday in Abuja. Nwachukwu said the raid was in continuation of ongoing operations to deter enforcement of the illegal sit-at-home order declared by the proscribed Indigenous Peoples of Biafra (IPOB) and its armed wing, Eastern Security Network (ESN), in the South East. He said the raid operation was carried out on Monday when troops were alerted of the violent activities of the irredentist group enforcing the illegal two weeks sit-at-home order in Onitsha, Nnewi and Iheme Obosi in Anambra State, as well as at New Market in Enugu state. He said the troops cleared IPOB camps in Ekeututu, Orsumoghu, Lilu and Mother Valley camps of the dissidents during the operations. According to him, troops came in contact with the group’s armed fighters, who detonated Improvised Explosive Devices (IED), also known as Ogbunigwe, and fired using locally-fabricated mortar tube. Nwachukwu said the valiant troops overpowered the irredentist group in the firefight, compelling them to abandon their position and fled with gunshot wounds into nearby bushes. “Further cordon and search of the hideouts by the troops, led to the arrest of five fleeing members of the group and recovery of one IPOB flag, one CCTV camera and two detonated IED bombs, and a fabricated mortar tube. “Sadly, five soldiers and two Nigeria Police operatives sustained varying degrees of injuries from the IED detonated by the criminals. “The Nigerian Army encourages all law-abiding citizens of the South East to continue to support ongoing operations with actionable information and to disregard the unlawful two-week sit-at-home order by going about their normal daily activities and businesses. “The Nigerian army, in synergy with sister services and security agencies, will undauntedly continue to protect and safeguard lives and property of the good and enterprising people of South East Nigeria, within the ambit of the law and the rules of engagement,” he said.

Sit-at-Home: Police nab 15 suspects over Ebonyi shooting

Sit-at-Home: Police nab 15 suspects over Ebonyi shooting

The Police in Ebonyi have announced the arrest of 15 persons suspected to be involved in the shooting by IPOB members on Tuesday at the new market and Ishieke axis of the state. The shooting was carried out as the suspects forced people to abide by the order issued by the Proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), stopping all residents from coming out of their homes for seven days, from July 3 to 10. The Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Faleye Olayele told reporters in Abakaliki that among the 15 suspects arrested from their hideouts, were two herbalists, Okwudili Otozi and Nnenna Ali. “They have attacked our area commander and burnt our vehicle. They have been terrorizing the state. On July 4, they came to Ishieke firing sporadically and that was on Tuesday. “I want to tell you that 15 of them have been apprehended, together with their herbalists. We recovered arms and charms of different kinds. Olayele said that the suspects were preparing for another attack on Friday when they were arrested by the police. “This shows that our officers are dedicated to their duties; the arrest was made possible by our men through the information we got,” he said and warned all criminal elements to steer clear of Ebonyi. However, one of the herbalists told newsmen that he was forced to join the gang. “I did not know that they wanted to operate in Ebonyi; they came to me and requested for medicine and I gave it to them, after which they forced me to join them to the bush for further preparations. “Please, I was forced to follow them after I gave them the medicine,” Otozi claimed. 

Sit-at-Home: Any school, market that fails to open’ll be shut down- Gov Mba

Sit-at-Home: Any school, market that fails to open’ll be shut down- Gov Mba

Enugu State Government has threatened to shut down schools and markets of those observing the illegal one week sit-at- home order by the self- acclaimed factional leader of the Indigenous Peoples of Biafra (IPOB), Simon Ekpa. This is contained in a statement on Tuesday by the Secretary to the State Government, Prof. Chidiebere Onyia in Enugu. IPOB factional leader, Simon Ekpa had on June 14 in a letter to all Igbos, declared total lockdown from July 3 to 10, excluding July 6. According to Onyia, Enugu State Government is alarmed and dismayed by this development and hereby warns that any school that fails to open and function normally on Tuesday will have its licence revoked immediately. He added that the State Government also extended the same warning to market unions and shop owners in the state. He said, “The attention of the Enugu State Government has been drawn to reports on social media this Tuesday morning that proprietors of private schools in the state are sending messages to their pupils and students to stay at home. “This is on account of the illegal one week sit-at-home order allegedly declared by faceless non-state actors in the state. “All markets and shops in the various markets must be open to customers from today or be shut down indefinitely.” Onyia said the state government reiterated its ban on any form of illegal sit-at-home in all parts of the state, as it was evil and antithetical to all values they hold dear as a people, such as the Igbo spirit of industry, hardwork, creativity and productivity. He urged the general public to go about their normal daily activities as adequate security measures had been put in place to protect lives and property. “Government will no longer sit by and watch faceless groups and misguided individuals issue illegal orders, dictating to us how to lead our lives, when to go to work or market and when our children go to school. “This is no longer acceptable and must be confronted and defeated with every power and resources at our disposal,” Onyia said. He further stated that the state government also warned that it would deploy the full instrumentality of the law such as the Cybercrime Act 2015 to go after and prosecute anybody, individuals, groups and organisations intentionally encouraging the illegal sit-at-home order. This, he said, include those instilling fear on residents, raising false alarm to disturb public peace and others through fake news sharing and propagation of falsehood connected with the illegal sit-at-home order on social media platforms such as Facebook, WhatsApp, and Twitter. “This, however, is by no means, depriving citizens freedom of speech and information as enshrined in the constitution,” Onyia explained.