Lagos Government Shuts Down Alaba International Market

Gov Sanwo-Olu Reopens Alaba Int’l Market

Officials of the Lagos Waste Management Authority (LAWMA) and the Lagos State Environmental Sanitation and Special Offences Unit have taken decisive action against Alaba International Market, Ojo.  The operation took place during the early hours of Monday, and was revealed through an official statement posted by Commissioner for the Environment and Water Resources, Tokunbo Wahab. Commissioner Wahab disclosed that the renowned Alaba International Market had been sealed due to a combination of serious environmental violations.  The primary reasons cited for this action were the market’s poor waste disposal practices, failure to settle outstanding waste bills, and a host of gross environmental sanitation offences. Recall that Ladipo Market in Mushin was reopened after being close for various environmental infractions.

Stevedore Services: Transportation Ministry to shut down Chevron Warri Jetty

Stevedore Services: Transportation Ministry to shut down Chevron Warri Jetty

The Federal Ministry of Transportation has disclosed its intention to shut down the Chevron Warri Jetty within two weeks following overt disregard by Chevron Nigeria Limited to hinder stevedore services regardless of extant laws and standard procedures. The Permanent Secretary, Dr. Magdalene Ajani, who made this known at a meeting between Chevron Nigeria Limited, Bena-Franco, the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA), and the National Inland Waterways (NIWA) at the Ministry in Abuja, stated that the Ministry of Transportation has the mandate to guide activities going on in the maritime sector and will act accordingly to protect that at all times. In this regard, Ajani informed representatives of Chevron that the Nigerian Ports Authority as the master stevedore has assigned a stevedore company in the last two years to the Warri jetty and has been denied access by Chevron despite all efforts by NPA. Chevron also has avoided all meetings by the Federal Ministry of Transportation & National Stevedore Association to resolve this matter. She advised that it will be in their best interest to grant Bena – Franco access to the jetty. “You have the next two (2) weeks to register this stevedore that has been assigned to you by the Federal Government of Nigeria to oversee what goes on at that jetty” Ajani emphasised. In addition, the inability of representatives of Chevron Nigeria Limited to substantiate the status of the operating license for the jetty, the Permanent Secretary mandated the task force on private jetties to avail her evidence of approval granted to the company immediately. Furthermore, she noted that failure to comply within the next two weeks will leave the Ministry with no option but to shut operations at the Warri jetty.

NLC’s planned shutdown of the country illegal, FG insists

NLC’s planned shutdown of the country illegal, FG insists

The Federal Government has told the Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC, that its plan to shut down the country on Wednesday, August 2, under the guise of industrial action is illegal.  The NLC had threatened to embark on nationwide protest from August 2 following the failure to reach an agreement with the government on the recent increase in the pump price of petrol.  The Federal Government had instituted a case at the National Industrial Court, Abuja, seeking to stop the NLC from embarking on the strike action.  The court had also made an order stopping the NLC from going ahead with the strike pending the hearing and determination of the suit.  But despite the court order, labour unions have insisted on the mass protest.  The Solicitor-General of the Federation and Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Justice, Mrs Beatrice Jedy-Agba, in a letter to the NLC, through their lawyer, Mr Femi Falana, SAN, said parties before the court are supposed to maintain the status quo, to respect the pendency of the matter.  In the letter with reference number MJ/CIV/ABJ/316/23 and dated July 31, 2023, the solicitor-general said, “Parties are expected to maintain the status quo even in the absence of a restraining order. However, there was no threat of contempt of court in the clarification provided by this Ministry. Undoubtedly, drawing the attention of NLC and the public to the pendency of the order cannot be equated with threats.  “The issue of peaceful protests and police permit are also not in contention, however, you may wish to be guided by the contents of the Communique issued by the National Executive Council of NLC at the end of its meeting of 27th July 2023. The decision or projected cause of action by NLC is directed principally in furtherance of issues connected with a hike in fuel price and consequential matters of palliatives and workers’ welfare. We assert that it is grossly inappropriate to lead the public protest in respect of issues relating to or connected with the fuel price increases, which are currently before the court!  “From the Communique, it is apparent that the current move by NLC goes beyond peaceful protest by issuing a seven-day ultimatum for government to meet the demands and also embark on a nationwide action to compel the government to reverse alleged anti-worker policies.  “Furthermore, uncontroverted media reports have established that NLC is not planning a peaceful protest but intends to ground the government by endangering public peace, instilling fear in the masses, and precipitating a further crisis. To buttress the above, the Assistant General Secretary of NLC, stated thus: ‘Nigerians should be prepared. That’s what we are saying. Being prepared means you have to stock food in your house and be economical with your movement at this particular point in time so as to avoid being stranded…’ “ “In the same vein, the Nigeria Union of Petroleum & Natural Gas Workers and National Union of Electricity Employees confirmed that they were working towards grounding the supply of fuel and the national electricity grid. The Ag. General Secretary of NUEE stated thus: ‘The NUEE is an affiliate of the NLC and I’ve told you that we will join the strike action. The issue is that if there’s a deadlock between labour and the government; that means that the mass protest is still going on, and definitely electricity workers, as an affiliate of the NLC, will partake in the mass protest. So, all workers in the power sector will join the mass protest on Wednesday, August 2, 2023. It is binding on every staff member to join the strike action. So, if it results in a blackout, the only option is for the government to listen to us if it wants power to return.”  “We reiterate that the interim order clearly restrained NLC from embarking on industrial action of any nature. It is common knowledge that a strike is only a form of industrial action. NLC has expressed the intention to embark on a nationwide action to force the government (employer) to agree to its demands. Furthermore, the participation of workers in the protest will result in restriction, or imitation on, or a delay in the performance of work. The foregoing, inclusive of the purported peaceful protest (in view of its intended aims or purposes), undoubtedly amounts to industrial action.  “It is incumbent on your law firm to sensitize the labour unions that peaceful protests are no justification for disrupting or shutting down essential services, which is tantamount to a strike action.”