BREAKING: Tinubu, Shettima to pay tolls at airports

President Bola Tinubu and Vice President Kashim Shettima will now henceforth pay the required fees at tollgates whenever they use the nation’s airports. This came as the the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting he presided over at the Presidential Villa, Abuja on Tuesday approved that there should be no more exemption granted to users of the airports from paying tollgate fees. The approval was made following a memorandum presented to the council by the minister of aviation, Festus Keyamo, who argued that the government was losing over 82% of the revenue it should have earned from the e-tags that provide access to the tollgates. He explained that the memoranda had initially prescribed an exemption for only the president and the vice president before Tinubu overruled and directed that both of them should be included among those that must pay. Keyamo, who disclosed this at the post-FEC media briefing, regretted that Very Important Persons (VIPs) with money who should pay are those that have not been paying, noting that only poor people had been charged for using the tollgates. He said this must now stop.
Herbert Wigwe’s Daughter Under Attack For Reportedly Disrespecting Vice President Shettima

Tochi Wigwe, the daughter of late Herbert Wigwe, has come under social media fire for failing to stand and greet Vice President, Kashim Shettima. An X user identified as Sadiq Jibrin Gadah had taken to the platform to call out Tochi for failing to show her respects to Shettima during one of the events organized to mourn her father, Herbert Wigwe, mother, Chizoba Wigwe, and brother, Chizzy Wigwe, who died in a helicopter crash on their way to the Super Bowl. The netizen shared photos of former VP Yemi Osinbajo and businessman Aliko Dangote standing to shake hands with Shettima. He wrote: “Same Man, different regard. Whoever that girl is,she lacks proper home training. You don’t shake a person old enough to be your father while seating down.” Some netizens however disagreed with Sadiq. Abubakar wrote: “You don’t need to have opinion on everything sir, she might be wrong but I’m sure Mr.VP will understand that she’s at her lowest moment,she has of recent loss both her parents and the reason for him being their is to commiserate with her and the family, let’s avoid judging people”. Nabilah wrote: “Do you people think at all? This lady just lost 3 of her family and you are here chasing clout over her not standing up to greet someone”. Phoenix wrote: “When you lose your parents and a sibling in one day, you can greet people the way you like at their funeral service. Apoda!” Lagos Cinematographer wrote: It appears she was about to get up but she got caught in the process, which is why you’ll notice their hands haven’t made contact”.
Tinubu sends Shettima to Côte d’Ivoire to support Super Eagles against South Africa

Vice-President Kashim Shettima On Wednesday, Vice-President Kashim Shettima departed Abuja for Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire, to lend President Bola Tinubu’s unwavering support to the Super Eagles of Nigeria. The spokesperson for the vice-president, Stanley Nkwocha, said this in a statement on Wednesday in Abuja. He said Mr Shettima’s trip to Côte d’Ivoire was at the instance of Mr Tinubu. The Super Eagles will take on South Africa in the semi-final of the TotalEnergies CAF Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON). The match will be played at the Stade de la Paix in Bouake, Côte d’Ivoire later this evening. According to Nkwocha, the visit will strengthen the deep-rooted connection between football and national identity in the country. Mr Nkwocha said the vice-president’s presence would inspire the Super Eagles on the pitch and serve as a rallying point for millions of Nigerians cheering from their homes. According to him, this year’s AFCON has seen the Super Eagles soar to new heights. “With a dominant performance in the group stages and a thrilling victory in the quarter-final, they have established themselves as strong contenders for the title. “With this being their 15th semi-final appearance, Nigeria holds the record for most appearances at this stage. They will be aiming to replicate their success in 2013 when they lifted the trophy in South Africa,” he said. He further said Mr Shettima’s visit to Côte d’Ivoire would serve as a powerful call for national unity and support. “As the Super Eagles prepare for their crucial semi-final match, Nigerians across the globe are urged to raise their voices and cheer their team. The entire nation stands behind the Super Eagles,” he said.
Shettima Departs To China For 3rd Belt, Road Forum

Nigeria’s Vice President Kashim Shettima on Sunday departed the country to represent President Bola Tinubu at the 3rd Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) Forum in Beijing, China which is scheduled to hold between October 16 and 18. Mr Stanley Nkwocha, Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Communications, Office of the Vice President, disclosed this in a statement in Abuja on Sunday. Nkwocha said that Shettima would join world leaders from over 130 countries in Africa, Asia, Europe and Latin America to deliberate on the theme, “High-quality Belt and Road Cooperation: Together for Common Development and Prosperity.” According to him, the vice president is expected to avail Nigeria of the platform provided by the forum to woo investors for more developmental projects. Nkwocha added that the Vice President would hold bilateral meetings with other world leaders to promote Nigeria’s trade and investment relations in line with the economic development agenda of the Tinubu administration. “The 2023 edition of the BRI will mark the 10th anniversary of the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) championed by the President of China, Xi Jinping, as an initiative for global infrastructure development strategy. “Adopted and launched by the government of the Peoples Republic of China in 2013. “The initiative seeks international action to enhance cooperation and promote infrastructure investment in nearly 70 countries across Asia, Africa and Europe through land and maritime routes.” He recalled that in 2018, former President, Muhammadu Buhari, on behalf of Nigeria, signed the Belt and Road cooperation agreement with China. “Nigeria and other partner-countries across the world are to benefit from the initiative in areas of infrastructure investments such as ports, skyscrapers, railroads, roads, bridges, airports, dams and coal-fired power stations.” Nkwocha said that the delegation of the vice president to the forum includes the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Amb. Yusuf Tuggar, Minister of Budget and Economic Planning, Atiku Bagudu and the Minister of Transportation, Sa’idu Alkali. Others are the Minister of Works, David Umahi, Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, Dr Doris Uzoka-Anite; the Managing Director of the Nigeria Railway Corporation, Fidet Okhiria, and the Director-General, Infrastructure Concession Regulatory Commission, Michael Ohiani. In a related development, Nkwocha said in pursuance of the food security and diversification policy of the Tinubu administration, the vice president will, from China, depart for the United States of America, USA. “While in US as the special guest, Shettima will deliver a keynote address at the African Development Bank (AfDB) and World Food Prize – facilitated Norman E.Borlaug International Dialogue slated to commence on October 24th, 2023. “Also, he will join other African international leaders, Heads of State and Government who in the past have delivered keynote addresses at the Borlaug Dialogue. “They include former United Nations Secretary-General, Kofi Annan; World Food Prize Laureates; Ghana President, John Kufuor, AfDB President, Akinwunmi Adeshina and former President Olusegun Obasanjo and others.” The media aide also stated that Shettima was expected to highlight reforms being instituted in the Nigerian Agrifood sector by the Tinubu administration. “The vice president will engage several stakeholders, partners and investors in opportunities for investments in Nigeria. “Several meetings and engagements have been slated for the vice president who is expected to be back to the country after his commitments in the US.”
Tribunal Ruling: Shettima, Gbajabiamila, Ribadu, govs, arrive court

The Vice President of Nigeria, Kashim Shettima, the National Security Adviser (NSA), Nuhu Ribadu, the chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Abdulahi Ganduje and six state governors have stormed the presidential election petition court for the judgement on the petitions challenging the February 2023, Presidential Election. The governors are Bauchi state governor, Bala Mohammed, Nasarawa state governor, Abdulahi Sule, Yobe state governor, Mai Mala Buni, Ekiti state governor, Biodun Oyebanji are among those that have arrived the PEPC. Others are Imo state governor, Hope Uzodima, his Kogi state counterpart, Yahaya Bello, Minister of state for Defense, Bello Matawale, the Labour Party chairman, Julius Abure, lawyers and supporters of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), the Labour Party and the Allied Peoples Movement (APM). The petition court sitting at the Court of Appeal in Abuja will be giving judgement in the three petitions challenging the emergency of Bola Tinubu as the winner if the election. Already, television stations had, the previous day, set up their outside broadcast equipment in preparation for the live broadcast of the judgement. Recall that the Chief Registrar of the Court of Appeal, Umar Mohammed Bangari had, on Monday confirmed the judgement day and added that the judgement will be televised live by interested television stations for the public to follow to promote transparency and openness. Access to the court room was tough as security officials had to identify people with accreditation tag before accessing the court room. The Labour Party, PDP and their presidential candidates as well as the APM, in their petitions, are seeking the nullification of Tinubu’s election on the ground of substantial non compliance with the law. The five member panel of Justices will soon commence sitting. NIGERIAN ANCHOR had reported earlier this morning that there is heavy security presence at the appellate court. More details later…
Tinubu will address infrastructural deficit, youth restiveness —Shettima

Vice President Kashim Shettima has said the Federal Government will address the challenges of infrastructural deficit, youth unemployment and restiveness in Borno and around the country. Shettima spoke with newsmen shortly after paying Sallah homage to the Shehu of Borno, Alhaji Abubakar El-Kanemi, on Wednesday in Maiduguri. The vice president is in Maiduguri for the Eid-ul-Adha celebration. “In a nutshell, we went with the governor to pay homage to the Shehu of Borno; he raised some very poignant challenges facing the society, especially with regard to infrastructure deficit. “We conveyed to him the best wishes from President Bola Tinubu and that the challenges would be vigorously addressed, especially the issues of the Dikwa-Gambolu-Ngala Road. “It will certainly be addressed; that of youth unemployment and youth restiveness will also be addressed. “By and large, I am here to reassure of the maximum support of President Tinubu on all challenges confronting us as a society and as a people,’’ he said. On his part, Sen. Tahir Monguno, (APC-Borno) said that the vice president’s visit to his home state was a homecoming as indicated by the massive reception he got. “Well, you know, the visit of the vice president to Borno, being his first official visit for Sallah festivities, is a homecoming. “Home coming in the sense that the vice president was the governor of Borno for eight years and he represented a senatorial district for four years. “So, his coming is homecoming and a celebration of his various attainments in life as clearly manifested by the outpouring of support. “The massive support from all corners as we entered Maiduguri and the testimony of the Shehu of Borno to the fact that he is one of us.’’ Monguno said that the Shehu of Borno raised concerns about some challenges bedeviling the state like roads, agriculture, and security. He said that the vice president assured that the Federal Government would find solutions to the problems highlighted by the traditional ruler. “So, all in all, the coming of the vice president to Borno today for the Sallah festivities is homecoming and the massive show of support is a clear manifestation of the fact that he is a grassroots politician. “A politician that is loved by his people; a politician that has really paid his dues to his people before he finally became the vice president of Nigeria,’’ he said.