ICPC vows to sanction corrupt state legislators 

By Doris Isreal Ijeoma The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has pledged to address corruption among members of state Houses of Assembly. Musa Aliyu, the ICPC Chairman, made this statement on Tuesday in Abuja during the opening of a three-day workshop for Jigawa State legislators. The workshop, titled “Transparency and Accountability: Effective Legislative Tools Towards Successful Mandate Delivery,” focused on enhancing legislative effectiveness. Aliyu expressed concern about widespread corruption in the country and stressed the need for legislators to uphold integrity in all aspects of their roles.  He assured that the ICPC is committed to working with state legislatures to combat corruption effectively. “We are prepared to collaborate with the state legislatures to advance our fight against corruption, as we have with other branches and levels of government,” Aliyu said. “However, we will not hesitate to take decisive action when necessary.” He emphasized that the ICPC would continue to fulfill its mandate of enforcement, prevention, public education, and mass mobilization within the bounds of the law. Aliyu also highlighted the importance of prioritizing national interest over personal or collective interests, as demonstrated by President Bola Tinubu’s administration. “The principle of separation of powers must be upheld; any encroachment on the functions of the executive or judiciary undermines democracy and good governance,” Aliyu stated.  He added that the legislature has a crucial role in identifying waste, inefficiency, corruption, and mismanagement of public resources. Effective execution of these functions requires transparency and accountability, underscoring the significance of the workshop.

FG moves to sanction hospitals rejecting emergency patients

The Minister of Women Affairs, Uju Kennedy-Ohanenye, has issued a strong warning to hospitals rejecting emergency patients. The Minister reiterated the Federal Government’s stance to go after the management of any hospital that refused to attend to patients rushed into their facilities in an emergency. Kennedy-Ohanenye gave the warning at the ‘Unlock Grants Award’ ceremony in Abuja on Sunday. In October 2023, the media was awash with the viral report of how a victim of a road traffic robbery popularly called ‘one chance’, Greatness Olorunfemi, died after being denied treatment when she was rushed to Maitama Hospital in Abuja. A similar thing happened a few years ago when two gunshot victims were rejected at a Lagos hospital, leading to their eventual death. The growing concerns compelled the House of Representatives earlier this year to task the Federal Ministry of Health to take decisive action against hospitals and healthcare facilities that refused to treat accident or gunshot patients without a police report. But Kennedy-Ohanenye said the FG would no longer allow such incidents to go unpunished, saying hospitals have been directed to start putting out signposts reflecting ‘No more rejection of emergency patients’ outside their facilities. The minister also revealed that a mobile court has been set up to start adjudicating on such cases. She said, “Our hospitals will also put a sign of ‘No more rejection of emergency patients.’ These are some of the major issues we have in this country. I am in touch with Maitama Hospital. But now, I have a mobile court for any hospital that does that. I use this opportunity to call on all Nigerians to be vigilant. “Let me also say that I am proud of Nigerians. I love the way they are using social media to tackle issues. But focus and continue to tackle the main issues as you are doing. Keep it up. But this is the time for action. “Let all of us buckle up to prevent emergency patients from being rejected. I am still going to keep calling on Nigerians. This fight is not for one person alone. It is for all of us.”

Police To Sanction Man Who Fired Shots To Celebrate Ladipo Market Reopening

Police To Sanction Man Who Fired Shots To Celebrate Ladipo Market Reopening

The spokesperson for the Nigeria Police Force, Olumuyiwa Adejobi, has confirmed the identification of the man seen firing celebratory shots at the Ladipo market reopening in Lagos State. The incident, which went viral on Tuesday, showed the individual discharging rounds into the air while a crowd cheered him on. Adejobi had initially announced a probe into the matter and assured the public that the man’s identity would be revealed. In an update provided on Wednesday via his X (formerly Twitter) account, Adejobi disclosed that the man had been positively identified.  He further stated that the Lagos State police command would address the issue, adding, “The man has been identified. The Lagos state police command will speak on it asap. Let’s wait for their reaction on the matter. I really commend the efforts of the CP on it. Excellent indeed. Thanks.”

Minister to sanction NRC MD over poor maintenance of Idu Train Station facilities

FG begins infrastructural improvements at Idu train station

Following complaints by passengers of non-functional toilet facilities in some of the train stations, the Minister of Transport, Senator Saidu Ahmed Alkali has vowed to sanction the Managing Director of the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) Fidet Okhiria. In an unscheduled visit to the Idu Train Terminal in Abuja at the weekend, the minister was greeted with a series of complaints by passengers at the station. The complaints ranged from non-functioning of toilet facilities in some of the coaches, non-payment of allowances, and unkempt condition of the coaches.   Alkali said, “Seeing is believing, as I have seen by myself. I inspected the coaches and some of the toilet facilities are not working. “I received a complaint from the security escorts that in the last five months their allowances were not paid and I am happy that the MD of NRC is appearing before the ministry on Tuesday to brief. “I am now well informed that the lifts and escalators aren’t working, which makes it very difficult for the elderly and the disabled persons to use the train for traveling. Therefore, he would explain why the disciplinary action wouldn’t be taken against him”. According to the minister, the essence of the visit was achieved. “So, from the experience when the visit is scheduled, they will be able to put some of the things in place because they know you are coming to see it” He assured that in the next 48 hours, the escalators and the lift will be working. “I am also going to ensure that the outstanding allowances of the escorts are paid on Monday.  “I am going to liaise with the Ministry of Defense so that we’re going to ensure that we’ve maintained unmanned area vehicles so that it’d give them protection from the air. “The coaches are unkempt. The seats aren’t clean. So, we need to ensure that all these things are put in place,” he stressed

Abuja Building Collapse: FCTA sets up panel, vows to sanction culprits

Abuja Building Collapse: FCTA sets up panel, vows to sanction culprits

The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA), has set up a committee to determine the immediate and remote causes of the collapse of a three-storey building on Monday at Dape in Life Camp. Abuja. The Permanent Secretary, Mr Olusade Adesola, stated this during an assessment visit to the site. Adesola said that the Executive Secretary, Federal Capital Development Authority, Mr Shehu Ahmad, would chair the committee, to determine the immediate and remote cause of the collapse. He added that the committee, would also establish culpability, whether from officials of the administration or external persons. He noted that the operating practice of engineering was very clear, with Codes for all kinds of offences, adding that the FCTA, would invoke all the penalties and sanctions when investigation was concluded. “Until investigation is concluded, this site is permanently closed. “I want to assure the public that all factors are considered when a property is duly authorised by Development Control, but in this case, there were some variables that were not taken into consideration. “The development control directed that all work should be stopped to enable the FCTA advise appropriately, but the developer continued,” he said. Earlier, the Director, Development Control Department, FCDA, Mr Mukhtar Galadima, said that the site was Plot 965 within Dape District, allocated to one Nazia Building and Civil Engineering Company Ltd. Galadima said that the plot was allocated for a mix-use development in 2019 for a commercial and residential facilities on a three suspended floor. He added that the developer was asked to stop the project, following some observations, particularly that the topography was not reflected in the initial design. “We also noticed that the site was sloppy and swampy, and so we asked the developer to submit his design for reassessment. “In the course of the development, there was an alteration and the developer was asked to stop work on the site until the modifications are integrated in the design. “Also, the building failed our integrity test, indicating that it will collapse. Regrettably, the developer mobilised workers to site on Monday, and the building collapsed,” he said. Galadima said that the title right of the developer on the land has been revoked in line with FCTA policy whenever a building collapse. He stressed the need to prosecute all persons found culpable. On his part, the Director-General FCT Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), Alhaji Abass Idris, said that the agency received a distress call about the building collapse around 3:30 p.m. on Monday. Idris said that agency immediately mobilised stakeholders to the site for rescue operations. “In the process, nine people were rescued alive and were taken to hospital, of which six were discharged while three are still receiving treatment,” he said. Also, Emeka Ozioko, Chief Inspector, Engineering Regulation Monitoring, Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN), said that the council’s panel would also investigate the causes of the collapse. Ozioko told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) at the scene, that if the engineers were found wanting, they would lose their professional license and face other penalties. “The problem in this country is that nobody is punished for doing wrong. The moment a person is sent to jail to suffer for causing the lives of citizens, others will sit up. “Let us all deal with the rules and whoever has violated the rules let him suffer for it,” he said. Prof. Samson Duna, Director-General and Chief Executive Officer, Nigerian Building and Road Research Institute, also told NAN that officials of the institute have taken samples to determine the quality of the construction. Duna identified some of the factors that lead to building collapse as unprofessional practice, quackery, lack of proper assessment of soil properties, use of substandard materials, and non-adherence to professional procedure, among others. On his part, Mr Kenedy Aimiuwu, Chairman, Practice Committee of the Council of Registered Builders of Nigeria, attributed some cases of building collapse to unprofessional practices. Aimiuwu said most of the builders in construction sites were not professionals, as such, lacked the requisite knowledge of the dangers of unwholesome practices. An adjoining building, believed to be an event centre, was earlier demolished by officials of the FCTA Development Control department. The director of the department said the action was necessary to forestal the collapse of another structure. According to him, the demolished building was a “disaster waiting to happen”, due to visible cracks around it, as such “it had to be demolished before it kills people”.