Tension In Rivers As Seven-Day Budget Ultimatum Reaches Deadline

Political uncertainty has returned to Rivers State as the deadline approaches for Governor Siminalayi Fubara to resubmit the 2024 budget, following a seven-day ultimatum issued by the Martin Amaewhule-led House of Assembly. This ultimatum, set to expire this week, stems from a motion by Dumle Maol, Deputy Speaker of the Pro-Nyesom Wike Assembly, calling for compliance with a court ruling that affirmed the assembly’s current membership and leadership. The demand for budget resubmission aligns with a presidential peace pact from December aimed at quelling the state’s ongoing political crisis. Despite this, Governor Fubara, who had previously submitted the ₦800 billion budget to an Edison Ehie-led Assembly, announced plans for the 2025 budget, signalling a potential dismissal of the assembly’s demands. The ongoing crisis in Rivers began with a series of dramatic events, including a fire at the State House of Assembly and an attempted impeachment of Governor Fubara. The faction of the Assembly is now led by Victor Oko-Jumbo. The budget, which was passed and signed into law, is still being implemented, suggesting that the peace agreement has faltered. Meanwhile, a pro-Fubara politician from the same community as Amaewhule, Chijioke Ihunwo, has dismissed the 7-day ultimatum on the governor as laughable. Ihunwo, who was appointed by the governor as the Caretaker Committee Chairman of Obio/Akpor Local Government Area, urged Amaewhule to accept his fate as a former assembly member, after defecting from the Peoples Democratic Party to the All Progressives Congress. He encouraged the people of Ikwerre Ethnic Nationality, comprising Port Harcourt, Obio/Akpor, Ikwerre, and Emohua Local Government Areas, to continue supporting the Governor under the leadership of former Senator John Azuta-Mbata. The politician, who was criticised for appointing 100 aides last week, said the decision, which other CTC Chairmen are also implementing, is aimed at bringing local government administration closer to the grassroots. He announced that more appointments would be made in the coming days, to demonstrate that the Fubara-led government is inclusive.

Rivers Crisis: Oko-Jumbo- led Assembly insists on challenging A’Court decision

The Oko-Jumbo-led Rivers Assembly has insisted that it will challenge the decision of the Appeal Court on the assembly crisis. The Court of Appeal in Abuja had on Thursday nullified the removal of Martin Amaewhule and 24 others from the Rivers State House of Assembly by the Rivers State High Court. But the speaker of the pro-Fubara lawmakers Victor Oko-Jumbo has maintained that he and his members believed that the Appeal Court erred in its decision. He was seen saying this in a video shared by Channels TV via their X handle on Saturday, July 6. He said: “We strongly believe that the Court of Appeal was in error when it held that the Rivers State High Court lacked the Jurisdiction to hear and determine SUIT NO PHC/1512/CS/2024. “Accordingly, we have instructed our lawyers and they have filed an appeal to the Supreme Court of Nigeria Challenging the Judgement of the Court of Appeal delivered on the 4th Day of July 2024.”

Rivers Crisis: Appeal Court returns speaker Amaewhule, 24 house members, sacks Oko-Jumbo

The Court of Appeal sitting in Abuja, Thursday, dismissed an order of the Rivers State High Court, which sacked the Martin Amaewhule’s led 24 Members of the Rivers State House of Assembly. The lower court had, in its judgement, restricted led the lawmakers from parading themselves as members of the Assembly. The appellate court made the order following an appeal by Amaewhule and the 24 Assembly members, challenging the interlocutory decision of the Rivers State High Court, delivered on May 10, 2024. The 3-man panel member of the court led by Justice Jimi Olukayode-Bada held that Amaewhule’s appeal was “meritorious” and therefore allowed the same. Consequently, the suit by Victor Oko-Jumbo at the Rivers State High Court is hereby struck out. The panel held that Amaewhule and the 24 members of the Rivers State House of Assembly should revert to their positions before the restraining order was made. The Court of Appeal held that the only court vested with jurisdiction to hear the suit filed by Oko-jumbo is the Federal High Court and not the State High Court. Therefore, the panel unanimously reasoned that the trial court lacked jurisdiction to hear the suit filed by the 1st to 3rd respindents. Consequently, it was the contention of the appellate court that the ex parte order which had restrained Amaewhule and the 24 Assembly members, having been made without jurisdiction, “is null and void and of no effect whatsoever”. “Trial court lacks the jurisdiction to hear and determine the suit of the respindents, the court said. The panel held that in granting an ex parte order, there must be an existence of “real urgency and not self-induced urgency.” More so, the Court of Appeal said the trial court should have heard the position of the appellant in the interest of fair hearing since there was no urgency in making the interlocutory injunction.

Rivers LGA crisis: No tenure extension for chairmen, Fubara declares

Rivers Governor Siminalayi Fubara has held a crucial meeting with heads of security agencies in the State amidst the ongoing local government succession crisis. Rising from the state council security meeting in Government House, Port Harcourt on Tuesday, the Governor warned against what he described as a grand plot to arrest his supporters. He said his administration would no longer allow arresting his supporters on trump-up charges, saying security agents must pass through him before undertaking such action. The Governor assured that he would fearlessly lead the way to ensure peace in the state and also protect all patriotic supporters for their stand on the path of truth. Fubara said no extension of tenure of elected local government chairmen, explaining that the law was unambiguous on it adding that the court also affirmed the position of the law. The Governor said: “Let me also say this. I’m also aware that there is a grand plan to come and arrest some of our supporters. This time around, you have to pass through me to arrest them because I don’t think there is anything that any of those people following us has done. Rather, thy are standing on the side of truth.  “If it will cost us our lives to stand on the part of truth, we will do that. And I will be the one that will lead the course”. Governor Fubara further said: “Let me assure everyone, more especially, the great and peace- loving people of Rivers State: the law is the law. The law has said that there is no extension of tenure.  “The court said so, and whoever that is assuring anybody anywhere of whatever, I advise them to desist from it because peace is what we need in this State. “I assure everyone of you that whatever it takes to make sure that we maintain peace and order, we are not going back on that”.  Fubara explained that the Security Council Meeting was called because of the recent threat to the peace of the state by the outgone chairmen of the local government councils. He said: “You are all aware that the tenure of the council chairmen ended yesterday, 17th June, 2024, and today, we have ordered the Heads of Local Government Administration to be in charge while they await further directives. “It’s really unfortunate that we started hearing some disturbing news from some LGAs of invasion of council secretariats, and it is really unfortunate. So, we have called the Security Council Meeting so that the needful will be done. “We are also aware that our enemy is also planning a lot of things. But we will not fall into that plot. We will not also allow him or them to destroy the peace that we are enjoying in the State,” he added. He thanked the media and the peace-loving people of the state for their support, and urged everyone to continue to remain law-abiding for the unity and progress of the state.

Rivers crisis: Court affirms 27 defected legislators as PDP Members 

A Rivers State High Court sitting in Port Harcourt has affirmed that 27 members of the Rivers State House of Assembly, who defected to the All Progressives Congress, APC, are still members of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP.  Justice Okogbule Gbasam of the Rivers State High Court in Port Harcourt stated on Monday that the claimants were unable to demonstrate that Martin Amaewhule and the 26 other legislators had switched to the APC. Justice Gbasam emphasized that party membership is established through being on the party’s register or possessing a membership card, stating that televised events or verbal declarations were insufficient proof. The PDP had requested to be part of the case and was included as the fourth defendant. Additionally, Justice Gbasam emphasized that the Rivers State government must adhere to all laws enacted by the Assembly since the members are still part of the PDP, and their inclusion in the party’s membership register is the determining factor. He also mentioned that the state government must follow the laws created by the Assembly since the members are still part of the PDP and have not forfeited their positions.

Pro-Fubara Rivers Assembly confirms Iboroma as commissioner

The Rivers State House of Assembly faction loyal to Governor Siminalayi Fubara has screened and confirmed a legal luminary, Dagogo Israel Iboroma, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, SAN as Commissioner-designate. The faction led by Speaker Victor Oko Jumbo loyal To Governor Siminalayi Fubara screened and confirmed Commissioner-nominee, Dagogo Iboroma on Monday at the Chambers Inside Rivers State Government House, Port Harcourt. Iboroma is likely to be sworn into office by Governor Fubara as the Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, the office vacated by Professor Zaccheus Adangor SAN, who resigned when he was redeployed to the Ministry to Special Duties,(Governor’s office),two weeks ago. Iboroma was on Sunday invited via a letter signed by Dr.G.M. Gills-West,the Clerk of the House to come for screening as the Commissioner nominee as a member of the Rivers State Executive Council on today 13th May, 2024 at 10:00am at Hallowed Chambers, Rivers State House Of Assembly, Auditorium , Admin Block, Rivers State Government House, Port Harcourt.

Why we took over Rivers Assembly quarters – Police

The Rivers State Police Command has clarified its presence at the State House of Assembly Quarters, asserting it’s to maintain peace and prevent any potential disruption of order. Superintendent of Police Grace Iringe-Koko, the Command’s Public Relations Officer, emphasized that the deployment aims solely at ensuring tranquility, dispelling concerns of any alarming situation. The move comes amidst recent tensions, as state lawmakers loyal to Chief Nyesom Wike encountered resistance over facility inspection, with occupants disputing the necessity for renovation. The Command urged public cooperation, affirming commitment to fostering a secure environment for all. The statement read: :The Rivers State Police Command wishes to clarify the recent reports regarding our presence at the Rivers State House of Assembly quarters. “Our deployment in the area is solely aimed at ensuring peace and preventing any possible breakdown of order. We assure the public that there is no cause for alarm, and all individuals are encouraged to continue their lawful activities without fear. “Your cooperation is greatly appreciated as we work towards maintaining a safe and secure environment for all.”

Burning of Rivers House: Fubara’s loyalists arraigned, sent to prison

The five Port Harcourt-based men accused of burning down the State House of Assembly were, Thursday, arraigned by the Federal Government on terrorism charges, have been remanded at Kuje Prison in Abuja. The five defendants are Chime Eguma Ezebalike, Prince Lukman Oladele, Kenneth Goodluck Kpasa, Osiga Donald and Ochueja Thankgod. They were also accused of killing a Superintendent of Police, (SP) Bako Agbashim and five police informants at Ahoada community of the state. Justice Bolaji Olajuwon of the Federal High Court in Abuja, Thursday, ordered they remain in prison custody till February 2 when their respective bail applications would be determined. In the 7-count charges, the defendants were accused of committing alleged terrorism offences by invading, vandalizing and burning down Rivers State House of Assembly during the wake of political crisis that rocked Port Harcourt in October last year. The police informants alleged to have been killed are Charles Osu, Ogbonna Eja, Idaowuka Felix, Paul Victor Chibuogu and Saturday Edi. Government also accused them of using various cult groups, namely- Supreme Viking Confraternity, Degbam, Iceland and Greenland to unleash mayhem on the people of the state and their commercial activities. However, when the charges against them marked FHC/ABJ/CR/25/2024 was read, they all pleaded not guilty to the offences.. Although the immediate past factional Speaker of the Rivers State House of Assembly, Hon Edison Ehie was not listed in the 7-count terrorism charges, he was however represented in court by a Senior Advocate of Nigeria SAN, Oluwole Aladedoyin on the ground that his name featured prominently in the alleged offences. He challenged the allegations that he was at large alongside other suspects. Justice Olajuwon did not however allow further arguments on the ground that he was not yet a defendant in the charges. Shortly after the arraignment, the leader of the prosecuting team, Audu Garba applied for a date for full blown trial of the defendants. However, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria SAN, Lukman Fagbemi who stood for Chime Eguma Ezebalike and Prince Lukman Oladele who are 1st and 2nd defendants, sought to move applications for their bail on the ground that they have been in the police custody since last year. The government lawyer, Audu Garba vehemently opposed on the reason that he had just been served with the bail applications and needed time to study them and file counter affidavit. Justice Olajuwon agreed with the prosecution lawyer that the bail applications were not ripe for hearing and fixed February 2 for hearing of all bail applications. Pending hearing and determination of the bail applications, the Judge ordered that the five defendants be taken to Kuje Prison on remand and be returned to court on the adjourned date. Specifically, the defendants were alleged to have on October 29, 2023 at Moscow Road in Port Harcourt conspired to commit acts of terrorism by wilful destruction of public properties by invading, attacking, destroying and burning of the Rivers State House of Assembly, an offence punishable under section 26 of the Terrorism Prevention and Prohibition Act 2022. Part of the charges read, “That you, Chime Eguma Ezebalike, 37 years, business man of Street 5, Radio Estate Ozuoba, Port Harcourt, Prince Lukman Oladele, 47 years of Okocha Street, Port Harcourt, Kenneth Goodluck Kpasa, Hon Edison Ehie and others now at large on 29th of October 2023 at Moscow Road in Port Harcourt, while acting in concert conspired together to commit felony to wit: acts of terrorism by wilful destruction of public properties by invading, attacking, destroying and burning of the Rivers State House of Assembly and you thereby committed an offence punishable under section 26 (1) of the Terrorism Prevention and Prohibition Act 2022. “That you Chime Eguma Ezebalike, 37 years, business man of Street 5, Radio Estate Ozuoba, Port Harcourt, Prince Lukman Oladele, 47 years of Okocha Street, Port Harcourt, Kenneth Goodluck Kpasa, Hon Edison Ehie and others now at large on 29th of October 2023 at Moscow Road in Port Harcourt, while acting in concert and armed with dynamite, iron rods, lighters and other offensive weapons willfully and maliciously invaded, attacked and set fire on the Rivers State House of Assembly Complex and you thereby committed an offence punishable under section 1 of the Miscellaneous Offences Act, Cap M17 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004.