93 Unexploded Bombs Discovered In Lagos Cantonment

93 Unexploded Bombs Discovered In Lagos Cantonment

The Nigerian Army has confirmed the recovery of a total of ninety-three unexploded ordnance, or bombs, at the Ikeja Military Cantonment located in Lagos.  This significant discovery was made during the ongoing military operation known as ‘Exercise Clean Sweep,’ as announced in an official statement released on Thursday. The operation, which commenced on Tuesday, October 10, 2023, was initiated with the primary objective of decontaminating the area that had been the epicentre of a devastating bomb explosion back in 2002. The recovered ordnance varies in terms of their calibre and characteristics, according to the report from the Army. Colonel Abdulrazaq Kazeem, the Director of the Directorate of Explosives Search and Disposal and the Coordinator of Exercise Clean Sweep, provided an update during his first briefing.  He confirmed the retrieval of a total of ninety-three unexploded ordnance from the site up to this point. Despite prior efforts to clear and dispose of explosives at the site, remnants of unexploded ordnance have continued to be discovered within and around the vicinity of the bomb blast.  This persistent presence poses a significant threat to the safety and security of the Cantonment’s residents and the surrounding environment. Colonel Kazeem emphasized strict safety measures in handling these explosives, stating, “The moment we reach the maximum limits of explosives within our holding area, such ordinances will be moved to the range. If we get to the explosive limits today, I will move to the range today. We wouldn’t exceed a kilogram above the explosive limits because it is measured in kilograms. At 93, we have not yet reached the limits.” The Safety Officer, Lt. Col. Oluseyi Oladapo Bamikole, reassured that adequate safety measures had been put in place to protect personnel involved in the recovery efforts.  These measures include demarcations and trained personnel to identify unexploded ordnance before recovery from the site, ensuring the safety of both military personnel and the local community.

Heavy flooding looms as Cameroon prepares to open Lagdo Dam

NIHSA confirms closure of Lagdo Dam, cautions on possible floods

*NEMA put on high alert The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has been put on high alert due to the impending threat of flooding along the banks of the River Benue. This warning comes following a communication from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, as revealed in a document obtained by NIGERIAN ANCHOR and dated August 21. Recall that the Minister of Water Resources and Sanitation, Prof. Joseph Utsev, had recently said there is no immediate threat of flooding, whilst calling on the government at all levels to put measures in place to prevent flood emergencies. Utsev told newsmen in Abuja that the Nigeria Hydrological Services Agency (NIHSA) had observed an increase in the volume of flow along the River Benue system, registering a flow level of 8.97 meters today. This, he said, was insignificant, as compared to a flow level of 8.80 meters on the same date in 2022. According to him, reports from inland dams including Kainji, Jebba, and Shiroro also showed a consistent flow regime. “In Lokoja, the heightened flow volume along the River Benue system, the flow situation at the confluence of the Niger and Benue rivers in Lokoja, Kogi State, remains within normal parameters. “The flow level at the monitoring station downstream of the confluence records 7.80 meters today, compared to 8.24 meters on the same date in 2022. “As at today, there is no threat to lives and properties, especially those states that are contiguous to Rivers Niger and Benue.” The minister called on all tiers of government to ensure preparedness and deploy appropriate measures to minimise the potential impact of flooding during the peak of the rainy season. Read more on this story: But the official letter gotten by NIGERIAN ANCHOR, which is bearing the signature of Umar Salisu, Director of African Affairs at the ministry, divulges the concerning news that the Cameroonian government intends to initiate the opening of the floodgates at the Lagdo Dam on the Benue River in the near future. This course of action is being taken in response to heavy rainfall that has been experienced within the dam’s catchment area in Northern Cameroon. Salisu clarified that the Cameroonian authorities have designed a controlled approach, planning to release water in measured, manageable quantities. This strategy is aimed at minimizing and averting potential damages that could arise both along the River Benue basin in Cameroon and Nigeria. According to Salisu, the Cameroonian authorities will be releasing “only modulated variable small amount of water at a time”. “This is in order to mitigate and avoid damages that the released water may cause along the River Benue basin in both Cameroon and in Nigeria.” The ministry, therefore, urged NEMA to take precautionary measures in order to reduce damages. “In view of the above, it would be appreciated if the esteemed agency takes all the necessary proactive steps and actions that will mitigate the damage as well as sensitise the populace living in such areas for vigilance and all necessary precautions,” the letter added.  Understanding the gravity of the situation, the ministry has called upon NEMA to undertake precautionary measures that will contribute to damage reduction. The ministry’s letter underscores the urgency of NEMA’s proactive steps and actions, not only to mitigate harm but also to educate and sensitize the residents of the affected areas. This preparedness includes encouraging vigilance and adherence to necessary precautions. In response to these developments, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs also extends its advice to the inhabitants of the at-risk regions, urging them to remain composed and to diligently follow the guidance provided by the authorities. The ministry also urged residents of the affected areas to remain calm and to follow the instructions of the authorities.