Iran begins poll for presidential election

Polls in Iran opened on Friday for a presidential election following the death of ultraconservative president Ebrahim Raisi in a helicopter crash last month. Around 61 million Iranians are eligible to vote in the polls where reformist Masoud Pezeshkian, 69, hopes for a breakthrough win against a divided conservative camp. The Guardian Council, which vets candidates, allowed him to run against a field of conservatives now dominated by parliamentary speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf and former nuclear negotiator Saeed Jalili. Also left in contention is cleric Mostafa Pourmohammadi after two ultraconservatives dropped out — Tehran major Alireza Zakani and Raisi’s former vice president Amir-Hossein Ghazizadeh Hashemi. “We start the elections” for the country’s 14th presidential ballot, Interior Minister Ahmad Vahidi said in a televised address. Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei cast his ballot shortly after the polls opened and urged Iranians to vote. “Election day is a day of joy and happiness for us Iranians,” he said in a televised speech where he also called for a high turnout. “We encourage our dear people to take the issue of voting seriously and participate,” he said. The election in sanctions-hit Iran comes at a time of high regional tensions between the Islamic Republic and its arch-foes Israel and the United States as the Gaza war rages on. Polls opened at 8:00 am (0430 GMT) in 58,640 stations across the country, mostly in schools and mosques. Polling stations will be open for 10 hours, though authorities could extend voting time as in previous elections. Early projections of the results are expected by Saturday morning and official results by Sunday. If no candidate wins 50 per cent of the vote, a second round will be held on July 5, for only the second time in Iranian electoral history after the 2005 vote went to a runoff. The candidacy of Pezeshkian, until recently a relative unknown, has revived cautious hopes for Iran’s reformist wing after years of dominance by the conservative and ultraconservative camps. Iran’s last reformist president, Mohammad Khatami, praised him as “honest, fair and caring”. Khatami, who served from 1997 to 2005, had also endorsed the moderate Hassan Rouhani, who won the presidency and sealed Iran’s nuclear deal in 2015 with Western powers before it was derailed three years later. The Iranian opposition, particularly in the diaspora, has called for a boycott of the vote. Ultimate political power in Iran is held by Khamenei, the supreme leader. Khamenei insisted this week that “the most qualified candidate” must be “the one who truly believes in the principles of the Islamic Revolution” of 1979 that overthrew the US-backed monarchy. The next president, he said, must allow Iran “to move forward without being dependent on foreign countries”.
Atiku will run for presidency in 2027 – spokesperson

Spokesperson of the Atiku Abubakar presidential campaign council, Daniel Bwala has revealed that the former vice president will contest again at the 2027 presidential election. Bwala revealed this information on Tuesday during an appearance on Politics Today on Channels TV. He said that the former vice president is the president the nation never had. He further revealed that Atiku understands the private sector, adding that the country’s economy can only come alive if its led by the private sector. When asked if Atiku would contest again in 2027, Bwala said, “Sure he will run, he has the capacity, he has the wisdom, he has the knowledge, he has the energy and he is the president we never had. “If i am going to be honest with you if there is any politicians who understand the private sector very well it is Atiku Abubakar and this our economy can only come alive if there is a private sector led economy.” He also said there is a need for the opposition political parties to form a solid coalition to stop President Bola Tinubu from winning the 2027 election. “Without a coalition of political parties, Tinubu is going to spend the next eight years. That one is for sure. “The truth of the matter is that there will be a coalition of political parties that will be very strong. This is a fact that I know. The coalition that is coming will swallow some of the elements that are creating the problems in the various political parties.”
Tinubu Celebrates Supreme Court Verdict, Vows To Rebuild Greater Nigeria

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has expressed his gratitude over the Supreme Court ruling that reaffirmed his election on February 25, whilst reiterating his commitment to building a stronger, united, and more prosperous Nigeria. Tinubu welcomed the verdict of the Justice John I. Okoro-led Panel of the Supreme Court on Thursday, which upheld the ruling of the Presidential Election Petition Tribunal. The candidates of the Peoples Democratic Party and the Labour Party had filed petitions challenging the tribunal’s decision. “The court has done justice to all issues put up for consideration in the petitions on the merits of the law, without fear or favor,” President Tinubu stated. The President praised the diligence and professionalism of the Honourable Justices who presided over the matter, affirming that the verdict solidified Nigeria’s electoral jurisprudence and constitutional democracy. The President’s faith in Nigeria’s judiciary remained unwavering, despite pressure and attempts at intimidation by some political actors. He lauded the judiciary’s commitment to upholding the rule of law and defending humanity. The ruling affirmed that President Tinubu’s party, the All Progressives’ Congress, had secured the popular mandate of Nigerians, paving the way for his leadership during a transformative period in the nation’s history. Tinubu further underscored his commitment to serving all Nigerians, regardless of their political affiliations, tribes, or faiths. The President’s renewed his Hope agenda for a greater and prosperous Nigeria, saying that it has gained momentum, and pledged to work tirelessly to meet the collective aspirations of the citizens. “We are all members of one household, and this moment demands that we continue to work and build our country together,” he affirmed. President Tinubu urged Nigerians to unite in their diversity and direct their energy toward building a stronger and more prosperous nation. He expressed his hope that the spirit of patriotism would inspire support for his administration’s efforts to improve the living conditions of the people. Tinubu concluded by extending his gratitude to all Nigerians for the mandate to serve the country, promising to exceed their expectations in service delivery and good governance. He concluded with a prayer for the continued blessings of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. The President’s statement reflects his determination to lead Nigeria into a future marked by unity, progress, and prosperity, as the country continues on its path of transformation and growth. SEE FULL STATEMENT BY PRESIDENT BOLA AHMED TINUBU, GCFR IT IS TIME FOR US TO BUILD OUR GREAT NATION TOGETHER I welcome the verdict of the Justice John I. Okoro-led Panel of the Supreme Court on the Presidential Election petitions filed by the candidates of the Peoples Democratic Party and the Labour Party, challenging the ruling of the Presidential Election Petition Tribunal. The court has done justice to all issues put up for consideration in the petitions on the merits of the law, without fear or favour. There is no doubt, with the profound judgment of today, that our electoral jurisprudence and constitutional democracy are further consolidated and embedded more indelibly in our national identity because of the diligence and undaunted professionalism of the Honourable Justices who presided over the matter. While the verdict of today has laid to rest the agitating discourse over who truly won the 2023 Presidential election and met the constitutional requirements as laid out by law, I want to reiterate that my faith in our nation’s judiciary has never been shaken, not even for a moment, because I know that our hallowed courts of law will not fail to administer justice to all Nigerians in all matters and at all times. Despite the fusillade of pressure and attempts at intimidation by some political actors, the judiciary demonstrated its unequivocal commitment to upholding the rule of law for the upliftment and defense of humanity. It was affirmed once more today, that my party, the governing All Progressives’ Congress, had freely and fairly won the popular mandate of Nigerians, which has since given rise to my leadership of this great nation at a tumultuous period of unprecedented reforms in our history as a nation. With deep gratitude to God Almighty, I solemnly and humbly accept today’s judicial victory with an intense sense of responsibility and a burning desire to meet the great challenges confronting our people. The victory of today has further energised and strengthened my commitment to continue to serve all Nigerians of all political persuasions, tribes, and faiths, with honour and total respect for the diverse opinions and uniting values of our citizens. Our Renewed Hope agenda for a greater and prosperous Nigeria has further gained momentum and I will continue to work from morning to night, every single day, to build a country that meets our collective yearnings and aspirations. We are all members of one household, and this moment demands that we continue to work and build our country together. The strength of our diversity and the great citizenship that binds us must now compel us forward in directing the energy of our people towards building a virile, stronger, united, and more prosperous country. In the days and months ahead, I trust that the spirit of patriotism will be elevated into supporting our administration to improve the living conditions of Nigerians. I am prepared to welcome the contributions of all Nigerians to foster and strengthen our collective progress. I send my immense gratitude to all Nigerians for the mandate to serve our country. I promise again to meet and exceed your expectations in service delivery and good governance, working with my team and trusting in the grace of God. May God continue to bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
Supreme Court Sets To Hear Atiku’s Appeal Against Tinubu October 23

The Supreme Court has scheduled a hearing for Monday, October 23, regarding the appeal filed by Alhaji Abubakar Atiku, the presidential candidate of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) in the 2023 election, against the election of President Bola Tinubu. It’s worth noting that on September 19, the PDP candidate lodged a 35-ground appeal challenging the verdict of the Presidential Election Petitions Tribunal (PEPC) that upheld Tinubu’s victory. Earlier, a five-member panel led by Justice Hassan Tsammani had, on September 6, dismissed the petitions filed by Atiku and his Labour Party counterpart, Peter Obi, citing a lack of merit. Additionally, the former Vice President sought the Supreme Court’s permission to submit fresh evidence obtained from Chicago State University, furthering his claims of discrepancies and forgery in President Tinubu’s academic records. Atiku maintains his stance, urging the apex court to remove Bola Tinubu from office.
Tinubu Tells Supreme Court To Dismiss Atiku’s Appeal

President Bola Tinubu, who contested as the presidential candidate for the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the 2023 election, has officially requested the Supreme Court to reject the appeal filed by Atiku Abubakar, the 2023 presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and the opposition party. Tinubu’s response, which was presented by his legal team, comes in response to Atiku’s notice of appeal. This move follows the prior judgment of the Presidential Election Petition Tribunal on September 6, which dismissed Atiku’s petition challenging the outcome of the February 25 presidential election. The tribunal cited Atiku’s failure to substantiate the claims in his petition and concluded that his case lacked merit. Atiku subsequently filed a notice of appeal with 35 grounds before the Supreme Court on September 18, seeking to have the tribunal’s findings and conclusions overturned. He argued that the tribunal had made “grave errors and gross misrepresentations” that resulted in a miscarriage of justice. In his response, President Tinubu maintained that the presidential election petition tribunal had rightfully reached its verdict and upheld his election. He emphasized that the appellants had failed to substantiate their allegations and provide any compelling reason for the apex court to overturn the lower court’s findings. Tinubu also characterized Atiku’s appeal as “abusive in nature” and urged the Supreme Court to dismiss it. He stated that the appeal lacked merit and bona fide and urged the court to affirm the lower court’s decision. The legal battle continues as both parties await the Supreme Court’s decision.
Presidential Election: Tribunal strikes out Obi, LP’s claim of irregularities, corrupt practices

The ongoing Presidential Election Tribunal has struck out Mr. Peter Obi, and Labour Party’s allegations of irregularities and corrupt practices leveled against the election that produced Bola Ahmed Tinubu. The court ruling in the preliminary objection held that the affected paragraphs were “vague, imprecise, nebulous and failed to meet the requirements of pleadings”. The judgement posited that Mr Obi and his party failed to mention the number of lawful votes they scored and the number of the unlawful votes recorded by the electoral body. The ruling read by Justice Abba Mohammed, insisted that the petitioners failed to establish the polling units or wards were irregularities, corrupt practices and manipulation of results were carried out. Justice Mohammed explained that “averments” must not leave room for confusion or ambiguity, adding that the aim of pleadings is to avail respondents of the facts of the case so as to prepare adequately. Mohammed held that, “petitioners failed to specify polling units where anomalies occurred or where agents complained of alleged malpractices and irregularities. “According to the ruling in a case of alleged malpractices in over 500 polling units, it does not suffice for the petitioners to say some polling units or collation centers without being specific. “Averments must not be general but specific.” Further in the ruling, the panel noted the total of over 18, 000 polling units where the petitioners alleged that INEC uploaded “blurred results ” unto the INEC Results Viewing (IReV) Portals, not one polling units was cited. “They did not specify polling units where election results were not uploaded” or where scores attributed to them was reduced or added to Tinubu”. “They did not show the majority of votes they claimed they had scored “, the tribunal held, adding that petitioners only make generic allegations of irregularities and malpractices. Mohammed further faulted the petitioners for relying on a spreadsheet analysis, inspection results and experts reports, adding that such documents ought to be served on the respondents to enable them do their own analysis and respond accordingly. “The spreadsheet report, inspection results and experts reports were not served but only listed as documents to be relied on in adjudicating the petition”, the court held. “It is unimaginable that a petitioner will allege widespread rigging in 176,000 Polling units, over 8,000 wards, 774 LGAs, 36 States and FCT without stating the specific place where the alleged irregularities occur.” Consequent to the above, the tribunal strike out the affected paragraphs as requested by the petitioners. On Obi’s membership of LP as he was still a PDP member. The court overruled the respondents claims stating that Obi and LP certified the provisions of Obi being a member.