Oyo Governor, Seyi Makinde officially enters 2027 presidential race

Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo State has officially announced his intention to run for the presidency in the 2027 elections. Supporters of Makinde have already begun showing their backing, using the hashtag #MakindeForPresident to spread his campaign across social media platforms. Currently, the governor is hosting members of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) press corps in Ibadan, where he is showcasing his various development projects across the southwest region. Interestingly, the official social media accounts of the PDP have also started using the #MakindeForPresident hashtag while sharing photos and videos of these key projects. Makinde has positioned himself as a leading candidate within the opposition party, and the social media campaign suggests that his bid for the presidency has now officially begun.
Your policies not yielding desired results– Bauchi gov tells Tinubu

The Governor of Bauchi State, Bala Mohammed, has criticised the policies of the Federal Government, which have led to increased hardship in the country. Speaking at the launch of the Nigeria Development Update report by the World Bank in Abuja on Thursday, he said that the economic policies of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration were not yielding the desired results. Mohammed also said that the revenues available to state governments are not enough to address the challenges in states. He said, “We should go back to the basics. Nigerians are not enjoying the regime at this time across board, not only the federal government, including the state and local governments. Therefore, the onus rests on you, the finance and the managers of the economy. “We need to come up with a budget programme with economic policies that will reduce hardship. The money that we are sharing is not enough. The report spoke about employment, wages, and how many per cent of Nigerians are even employed. Most of our people live in the informal sector; we should look at how we can make them self-employed. “The purchasing power has dwindled, these policies are not working and you know that.” While introducing the new report, Alex Sienaert, lead economist of the World Bank in Nigeria, said that to achieve the desired growth in the nation’s economy, the recently introduced macroeconomic stabilisation reforms should be backed up by creating productive jobs. Also, the World Bank Country Director for Nigeria, Dr. Ndiame Diop, said that while the reforms may be challenging, they are crucial for the nation’s long-term stability. He added that opposing or reversing these reforms would be detrimental to the development of the country.
Benin CNG Cylinder Explosion: Illegal Vehicle Modification to blame

The Presidential CNG Initiative (PCNGI) has reacted to a CNG vehicle cylinder explosion that occurred in Benin City, attributing the incident to unauthorized vehicle modifications. The explosion took place at NIPCO CNG Station on Ikpoba Hill on Wednesday, October 16, 2024, injuring several individuals but causing no fatalities. PCNGI confirmed that the vehicle’s cylinder had been welded and altered, deviating from approved safety standards for CNG use. An investigation into the incident is underway. It will be carried out by the police, regulatory bodies, and NIPCO management. The organization stressed the importance of safe handling of hydrocarbons and urged compliance with new regulations to prevent future incidents. PCNGI highlighted the upcoming launch of the Nigeria Gas Vehicle Monitoring System, aimed at improving safety and regulation within the CNG industry.
Minimum Wage: Lagos Approves N85,000

The governor of Lagos state, Babajide Sanwoolu has approved N85,000 as minimum wage for civil servants in the state. This is in line with the federal government’s approval of N70,000 as minimum wage in Nigeria. Governor Sanwoolu made this announcement on Channels TV last night in an interview session. This move comes as a great relief to workers with the Lagos state government as it goes a long way to ameliorate the current spiraling inflation and cost of living crisis. While announcing the new wage, the governor cautioned that this should not be misconstrued as competing with any state government but a reflection of the socioeconomic realities of Lagos state.
Ndume begs Tinubu to reduce fuel, food prices

…Says Nigerians suffering, bad advisers sabotaging govt The senator representing Borno South in the National Assembly, Mohammed Ali Ndume, has raised the alarm that certain fifth columnists working hard to sabotage the administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu. Ndume said the astronomical increase in the prices of fuel, food, essential goods and services is becoming unaffordable to average Nigerians and the poor that form the majority, In a statement made available to newsmen in Abuja, Ndume said the bad elements are trying hard to pitch the people against the administration of President Tinubu by pushing for harsh reforms and bad policies instead of controlling inflation and exchange rate that are making life unbearable for Nigerians. The ranking senator said those who are bent on making the President look bad will stop at nothing in inflicting pains on Nigerians through the “so-called reforms until things get out of hand and the blame will be on President Tinubu.” While advising the administration of President Tinubu, Ndume said many families can barely meet up with daily demands in their houses as a result of the hyperinflation caused by incessant increase in the price of essential goods and services. Ndume said: “I personally believe President Bola Ahmed Tinubu means well for Nigeria and Nigerians. I know this because I know what he stands for. But some of his advisers who don’t mean well for the people of this country give him wrong advise. I’m appealing to him to resist these bad people who want to pitch the people against his administration. The hardship these people are inflicting on Nigerians is becoming unbearable. I’m currently in Borno, and I know what I’m talking about. People are really suffering, hungry, frustrated and angry. In Borno State here, many families can’t even feed anymore. The untold hardship of these frequent increases in the prices is unimaginable. Farmers can not even move their farm products anymore because of the high cost of transportation. Those who can still do this add the cost of transportation to the prices of food items they sell, and that’s why many people can’t feed again. People can’t travel anymore. To travel by road from Abuja to Maiduguri, for instance, is a fortune. How many of our people can afford that? I know that President Tinubu means well for Nigerians, and therefore he should not stay back and allow a few bad advisers to destroy this country. That’s why I’m begging him to do something before it is too late. It is not good to test the patience of Nigerians, and that’s exactly what these bad advisers are doing. As soon as the President returns to Nigeria, I urge him to look into these issues and address them urgently. The purchasing power of Nigerians is too poor, and they can’t afford the things that are being pushed on them every day by enemies of state.”
UK Envoy Clarifies Status of Sunday Igboho’s Petition

The British High Commissioner to Nigeria, Richard Montgomery, has clarified that the petition submitted by Sunday Igboho, also known as Sunday Adeniyi Adeyemo, to the UK Prime Minister, Keir Starmer, regarding the creation of a Yoruba nation has not been officially recognized by the UK government or any parliamentary committee. Montgomery’s remarks followed media reports suggesting the UK government’s endorsement of the petition. According to the British envoy, the receipt of such petitions at 10 Downing Street is a customary procedure, not an indication of governmental support. Olayomi Koiki, Igboho’s spokesman, had previously stated that the petition was submitted on behalf of Yoruba Nation leader Prof. Adebanji Akintoye. However, Montgomery emphasized that the UK government typically does not engage with petitions related to the domestic affairs of other nations. The High Commissioner addressed the issue after being summoned by Nigeria’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs. He stated that past petitions of a similar nature have been dismissed by the UK government. Montgomery reiterated the commitment to maintaining positive bilateral relations between the UK and Nigeria, while clarifying the misunderstanding surrounding the petition’s significance. ReplyForwardAdd reaction
Senate Advances Bill to Establish National Institute for Drug Awareness and Rehabilitation

In a move that further crowds up the governance architecture, the Nigerian Senate is about to pass a bill establishing a National Institute for Drug Awareness and Rehabilitation. The bill, first introduced on May 29, 2024, is designed to enhance drug awareness, curb substance abuse, and provide rehabilitation services for drug users across the country. The bill, titled “A Bill for an Act to Establish the National Institute for Drug Awareness and Rehabilitation, to Coordinate and Promote Drug Awareness, Prevent Substance Abuse, and Facilitate the Rehabilitation of Drug Users and for Related Matters, 2024 (SB. 449),” is sponsored by Senator Sani Rufa’i, representing Kano Central. In his presentation, Senator Rufa’i highlighted the importance of the bill, stating that it would strengthen ongoing programs aimed at drug awareness and provide much-needed support to combat the increasing drug crisis. According to the senator, the institute will serve as a key platform to address the pressing challenges of substance abuse in Nigeria and offer structured rehabilitation to users. The bill received widespread backing from other senators, including Abdul Ningi, Adamu Alero, and Peter Nwebonyi, who all spoke in favor of its swift passage. They emphasized the need for urgent action to tackle drug addiction, citing its direct link to rising crime rates, banditry, and insecurity in the country. The lawmakers also called for more stringent penalties, even suggesting that drug abuse should be treated as a capital offense. After deliberations, the bill was referred to the Senate Committee on Drugs and Narcotics, which has been tasked with reviewing the proposal and reporting back to the Senate in four weeks.
Honour NASS Invitations – Presidency tells MDAs

The Presidency on Monday admonished heads of Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs), to honour invitations by the legislature in line with existing harmonious working relationships between the two arms of government. The admonition is coming 24 hours after the Senate committee on Ethics , Code of Conduct and Public Petitions threatened issuance of a warrant of arrest against those ignoring its invitations . In a statement, the Special Adviser to President Bola Tinubu on Senate Matters , Senator Basheer Lado, said collaboration between the two arms of government is very critical for actualization of the Renewed Hope Agenda of the President. He said : ” The President’s Renewed Hope Agenda is built on the premise of quick and efficient governance, one that brings tangible democracy dividends to the people without delay. “A critical part of realizing this vision involves a proactive, respectful, and transparent relationship between government bodies and the Senate in its oversight role. “The Office has noted some concerns that some agencies may not have consistently adhered to Senate invitations or requests for appearances before committees. “While we acknowledge that competing official engagements may sometimes make it challenging for agencies to respond promptly to Senate invitations, it remains essential that these opportunities for engagement are prioritized to demonstrate our continued collective commitment to accountability and good governance. “Engaging with Senate committees is an important opportunity for agencies to showcase their dedication to public service and accountability, while further reinforcing the people’s confidence in government”. He added that his office will continue working for the very important constructive collaboration between Ministries, Extra-Ministerial Departments and Agencies, and the National Assembly, particularly its Senate committees, as a cornerstone of good governance and accountability
FG Set to jack up Value Added Tax

The federal government has put forward a proposal to raise the Value Added Tax (VAT) from 7.5% to 10%. This proposal is encapsulated in an executive bill currently under consideration by the National Assembly. Reports indicate that the government plans to implement further increments, targeting a VAT of 12.5% by 2026, increasing to 15% starting in 2030. The legislative document outlines a gradual increase in VAT rates across several assessment years. Earlier discussions around VAT included insights from Taiwo Oyedele, chairman of the presidential committee on fiscal policy and tax reforms, who previously stated the necessity for a VAT increase. In contrast, Finance Minister Wale Edun had clarified that the VAT rate had not yet been modified. In addition to the VAT hike, the bill also suggests a reduction in the Corporate Income Tax (CIT) from 30% to 27.5% by 2025, with a further decrease to 25% in 2026. Small businesses with annual turnovers below ₦20 million will not be subject to this tax. The document further stipulates that companies falling under certain categories with an effective tax rate below 15% must pay an additional tax to meet that minimum threshold. This measure aims to bolster compliance among larger corporations. Furthermore, the federal government recently published new withholding tax regulations, set to take effect on January 1, 2025, as part of its ongoing tax reform agenda. These proposed changes reflect the government’s intention to adapt the taxation framework to stimulate economic activity while managing fiscal responsibilities.
Ogun APC Councillorship Candidate Killed By Gunmen

Adeyinka Adeleke, a councillorship candidate for the All Progressives Congress in Ogun State, was shot and killed on Saturday in the Jide Jones area of Abeokuta South Local Government. The incident occurred as Adeleke was attacked by assailants who arrived in a tinted vehicle. Witnesses reported that the attackers not only shot him but also assaulted him with stones, leading to his death. The area was thrown into chaos, with residents fleeing for safety amid the violence. The attack happened around 2 PM, and locals were left in shock, unsure if it was related to cult activities. A senior police officer confirmed the incident and noted that Adeleke’s family has opted to proceed with his burial. The community remains tense following the attack, with many shops closing as fear spreads throughout the neighborhood.