Niger Coup: Tchiani asserts defensive stance against ECOWAS

In the wake of the recent coup in Niger, General Abdourahamane Tchiani, the leader of the mutineers who assumed control, emphasized his nation’s reluctance for conflict but readiness to safeguard itself when necessary. Tchiani conveyed that both the military and the populace of Niger are averse to the prospects of war, yet they remain steadfast in their determination to counter any signs of aggression, as reported by Al Jazeera. The head of the junta underscored the unawareness of member states within the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) regarding Niger’s pivotal role in preventing regional destabilization amidst a surge in terrorist activities. He expressed skepticism towards the imposed sanctions on his country, suggesting that they aimed to exert pressure on the rebels rather than resolve the ongoing crisis. Tchiani further clarified that the insurgents’ objective isn’t to seize power but to facilitate a solution that aligns with the best interests of the populace. The coup leader disclosed that an ECOWAS delegation visited Niger’s capital and held discussions both with the deposed President Mohamed Bazoum, who was removed and detained by his own guard led by Tchiani, and with Tchiani himself. Since the coup’s occurrence on July 26, ECOWAS has responded by suspending financial aid to Niger, freezing rebel-held assets, and imposing travel restrictions on flights to and from the nation. A subsequent summit in Nigeria’s Abuja resulted in ECOWAS leaders agreeing to ready a standby force to potentially compel the Nigerien military to reinstate Bazoum. On a recent note, ECOWAS Commissioner for Political Affairs, Abdel-Fatau Musah, indicated that the general staff chiefs within ECOWAS have set a date for an undisclosed military intervention. This decision comes as tensions and uncertainties persist within Niger’s political landscape. General Abdourahamane Tchiani’s statements echo a stance against war while highlighting the nation’s resolve to defend itself against aggression, as Niger navigates through these challenging times of political transition and unrest.
Niger Coup: Thousands march in solidarity in Niamey

Demonstrators took to the streets of Niger’s capital Niamey on Thursday in a show of support for the country’s new leadership, a week after a military coup in the West African country. People rallied on the streets of Niamey to signal their support for de facto president Abdourahmane Tchiani and his junta, a dpa correspondent in the capital reported. The demonstrations followed a call by civil society associations, according to reports. They came on the 63rd anniversary of Niger gaining independence from former colonial power France. According to local media, people also demonstrated in the city of Agadez, with posters seen expressing support for the putschists. Russian flags are also said to have been waved. Agadez is on the edge of the Sahara Desert, which many migrants pass through on their way through the desert to Libya and towards the Mediterranean. The coup plotters managed to ignite a “nationalistic fire” in the population within a week, said Olaf Bernau from the migration network Afrique-Europe-Interact. Part of the reason for this is the EU’s migration strategy in Niger. For several years, Niger, as an important transit country for migrants heading for Europe, has received financial support to limit migration. Since 2015, a law in Niger has criminalized illegal migration and its support. So far, Niger has not only been an important partner for the West in containing migration, but also in the fight against terrorism. In the Sahel, dozens of militias, some of whom have sworn allegiance to so-called Islamic State (IS) or the terrorist organization Al-Qaeda, regularly carry out attacks. Last week, officers of the presidential guard in Niger arrested the democratically elected president of Niger, Mohamed Bazoum, and declared him deposed. Tchiani, the commander of the presidential guard, appointed himself the new ruler on Friday, suspended the constitution, and dissolved all constitutional institutions. Bazoum used an opinion piece in the Washington Post on Thursday to call for the international world to help restore constitutional order. He was writing “as a hostage” and was “just one of hundreds of citizens who have been arbitrarily and illegally imprisoned,” Bazoum said in the piece. The coup had no justification and, if it succeeded, would have “devastating consequences for our country, our region, and the entire world,” Bazoum wrote. He used the piece to call on the US government and “the entire international community” to help restore order. “Fighting for our shared values, including democratic pluralism and respect for the rule of law, is the only way to make sustainable progress against poverty and terrorism. The Nigerien people will never forget your support at this pivotal moment in our history,” he wrote. Niger’s new rulers are looking for allies. The deputy head of the country’s military junta, General Salifou Modi, travelled to the neighbouring countries of Mali and Burkina Faso, which are also ruled by army officers who took power in military coups. Both have pledged their support to Niger, Modi said, particularly in the area of security. “We are happy about the closeness we have with our brothers in Mali,” the deputy head of Niger’s military junta, General Salifou Modi, said after a meeting with the government in the Malian capital Bamako on Wednesday. Burkina Faso’s military strongman Ibrahima Traoré also assured him of his support at a meeting in the capital Ouagadougou on Wednesday, Modi said. Pressure continues to mount on Niger, with Nigeria suspending electricity supplies and the World Bank freezing payments to the West African nation on Wednesday. Also, the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) has given the putschists in Niger an ultimatum. If Bazoum is not reinstated by Sunday, ECOWAS will take action that could include sanctions and armed force, it declared. Meanwhile, in Paris, the French Foreign Ministry said the evacuation of its nationals from Niger has been completed, according to a statement on its website published on Thursday. French Defence Minister Sébastien Lecornu said on Twitter that 1,079 French and foreign nationals have been evacuated since Tuesday. There were four Paris-bound flights carrying 992 people including 560 French nationals. A fifth and final flight brought about 100 people to Chad, the French General Staff told dpa. Paris said the evacuation was needed because Niger had closed its airspace and there had been reported violence at the French embassy during pro-coup protests. Niger’s junta has accused France of planning a military intervention. French broadcasters France 24 and RFI have been banned from broadcasting in Niger. A statement issued on Thursday evening by France’s Foreign Ministry said it very firmly condemned the suspension of broadcasting. The measures taken against the press in Niger occurred in a context of authoritarian repression by those responsible for the coup, the ministry added. In Washington, President Joe Biden noted on Thursday on the occasion of Niger’s Independence Day, that the West African country “is facing a grave challenge to its democracy.” He repeated calls for the immediate release of Bazoum and his family and “for the preservation of Niger’s hard-earned democracy.”
Group reveals plot by Gov Bello to abduct, frame SDP candidate, Yakubu Ajaka

The Alhaji Muritala Yakubu Ajaka Campaign Organization has alleged a disturbing plot involving Kogi State Governor Yahaya Bello and certain security chiefs which is aimed at suppressing the Social Democratic Party (SDP) Governorship Candidate, Alhaji Muritala Yakubu Ajaka. In a press statement signed by the group’s Director, Communications, Faruk Adejoh-Audu and made available to the NIGERIAN ANCHOR, the group said there is a conspiracy to abduct Ajaka and transport him to Lokoja, where he would be falsely implicated in fabricated charges and potentially face detention or even assassination. The details of this sinister plan, according to them, is part of an orchestrated effort to arraign Alhaji Ajaka before a Lokoja Court hastily, ensuring his indefinite incarceration. Remarkably, the State Commissioner of Police, Hakeem Adeshina Yusuf, who had previously shown reluctance to investigate the campaign organization’s petition regarding an attempted assassination against Mr. Bello and his group of thugs and gunmen, is now reportedly tailing Ajaka at the behest of Governor Bello. “Details of the plan which began manifesting on Tuesday included hastily arraigning Alhaji Ajaka before a Lokoja Court to legally seal the plot to incarcerate him indefinitely. “In furtherance of the plot, the State Commissioner of Police Hakeem Adeshina Yusuf who had obstinately refused to investigate our petition of attempted assassination against Mr Bello and his band of thugs and gunmen who attacked our motorcade on June 3, 2023 is now stalking our candidate at the behest of Mr Bello to accuse him of been the aggressor in the attack. “Some gunmen in Mufti appeared at an address on Khartoum Street in Wuse, Abuja at about 12:30 pm Tuesday claiming they have been detailed by Mr. Yusuf to arrest Alhaji Ajaka for attempted assassination, gun possession, and terrorism as a result of the same attack carried ours by Mr. Bello and his gunmen. “Already Mr. Bello has put some of his friendly media editors and social media influencers on cue to disparage the SDP Candidate through stories and commentaries that will portray the candidate as a violent man,” the statement read in part. See the full Statement Below: FRESH PLOT BY KOGI GOVERNOR YAHAYA BELLO AND SECURITY CHIEFS TO SUPPRESS SDP CANDIDATE ALHAJI MURTALA YAKUBU AJAKA UNCOVERED The Alhaji Muritala Yakubu Ajaka Campaign Organization has uncovered a dastardly conspiracy between some security chiefs in Kogi State to abduct the Social Democratic Party (SDP) Governorship Candidate, Alhaji Muritala Yakubu Ajaka to Lokoja and frame him with trump-up charges with the aim of clamping him into detention and possibly assassinate him. Details of the plan which began manifesting on Tuesday included hastily arraigning Alhaji Ajaka before a Lokoja Court to legally seal the plot to incarcerate him indefinitely. In furtherance of the plot, the State Commissioner of Police Hakeem Adeshina Yusuf who had obstinately refused to investigate our petition of attempted assassination against Mr. Bello and his band of thugs and gunmen who attacked our motorcade on June 3, 2023, is now stalking our candidate at the behest of Mr. Bello to accuse him of being the aggressor in the attack. Some gunmen in Mufti appeared at an address on Khartoum Street in Wuse, Abuja at about 12:30pm Tuesday claiming they have been detailed by Mr. Yusuf to arrest Alhaji Ajaka for attempted assassination, gun possession, and terrorism as a result of the same attack carried ours by Mr Bello and his gunmen. Already Mr. Bello has put some of his friendly media editors and social media influencers on cue to disparage the SDP Candidate through stories and commentaries that will portray the candidate as a violent man. This elaborate plot is an obvious manifestation to stop the escalating popularity of the SDP Candidate in the November 11, Governorship Elections. Mr. Bello is a Governor whose administration has gained notoriety for violence, framing up opponents, and compromising the institutions of the polity to gain an advantage in the elections. Alhaji Ajaka has no record of violence whatsoever at any time in his political career, but in the last four months, the candidate and members of his campaign team have been at the receiving end of State violence from Federal security agents who have been obviously compromised to torment political rivals of Mr. Bello. We have cried out to all the relevant agencies of the state to rein in Mr. Bello and get him to play by the rules of engagement of electioneering to no avail. Where in the world is an interested party in an election allowed the pleasure to arrest opponents and clamp them into detention to prevent them from campaigning? This plot was hatched after a campaign outing by Alhaji Ajaka at Idah during which a mammoth crowd never before recorded in the history of rallies in Kogi State came to receive him. In the last Presidential and National Assembly Elections Governor Bello took several bizarre measures to intimidate the then-main opposition Peoples Democratic Party in the state by deploying earth-moving equipment to dig craters on several streets leading to polling units in the Central Senatorial District of Kogi State. The intimidation was so effective that the PDP had to cancel its campaign flag-off rally in the said Central Senatorial District. Two weeks ago, he procured security agents in the state to extra-judicially execute Mallam Kabir Bala aka Okwo, a thug he freed from prison and unleashed on defenseless citizens of the state at the dawn of the 2019 Elections. Okwo was among about 20 thugs he freed from custody across the state to use for violence and electoral mayhem in 2019. The moment Okwo was executed Mr Yusuf the police commissioner accused him of several heinous felonies. Yet Okwo was a revered member of the party who was even inaugurated by Mr. Bello as the Ofu LGA Coordinator of the Tinubu/Shettima Campaign Council. He was also one of the 67 delegates to the APC National Convention. At no time was he ever accused, invited, or arrested for any crime since 2019 until he openly renounced violence and