Missing Hyena Captured, Returned To Plateau Wildlife Park

The Management of Plateau State Tourism Corporation has stated that after relentless search and rescue efforts, the missing hyena from the Jos Wildlife Park has finally been found, tranquilised, captured and safely returned to its enclosure at the Park. A statement issued in Jos, the State capital, and signed by the General Manager of the Corporation, Chuwang Pwajok, on Tuesday, said: “We deeply appreciate the general public for remaining calm and cooperative. This has greatly assisted in the search and rescue of the animal.” It will recalled that the Management of the Plateau State Tourism Corporation had declared that one of the Hyenas at the Jos Wildlife Park escaped, adding that the Hyena was being tracked by their dedicated team of game guards and Park Rangers with the assistance of drone technology. It assured the public that the corporation was taking all necessary measures to locate the escaped animal and ensure its safe return to its enclosure soonest.
BREAKING: Many Feared Killed As Soldiers, Gunmen Clash In Mangu

Many were reportedly killed when soldiers and gunmen clashed in two villages of Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau State, on Saturday morning. The clash occurred after Governor Caleb Mutfwang relaxed the 24-hour curfew imposed on the area. Mutfwang had said following improvement of security, the curfew should be from 8am to 4pm. Sources said that about 30 gunmen were killed while some soldiers sustained injuries during the clash at Satguru and Tyop villages. A security operative, said, “The incident occurred between 7 to 7:30 am when the gunmen came in their numbers and started attacking some communities along Gindri road. In no time, the soldiers were alerted and immediately responded. “About 30 of the gunmen were killed while more than 50 of them were arrested with guns and ammunition. Four soldiers were equally injured.” Another source in the area who also pleaded for anonymity confirmed the incident, adding that people were still in fear. Spokesperson of Operation Safe Haven, a multi-security taskforce maintaining peace in the area, is yet to respond to the inquiries.
16 sacked Plateau Assembly lawmakers to resume legislative duties

The 16 members of the Plateau House of Assembly, who were ousted by the Court of Appeal in November last year, have announced their intention to resume legislative duties on Tuesday. Briefing newsmen in Jos, the lawmakers, originally elected under the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), revealed that they considered the recent Supreme Court judgment on Governor Caleb Mutfwang’s election as a precedent for their case. The Court of Appeal had nullified their election, citing a lack of party structure within the PDP. This decision also affected federal lawmakers from the state, leading to re-run elections scheduled by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for February 3. Interestingly, Governor Mutfwang faced a similar fate but saw his dismissal overturned by the Supreme Court on January 12, highlighting an error in the lower court’s judgment. In response to the Supreme Court’s ruling, the ousted legislators asserted that they were merely on recess during this period and, based on the apex court’s decision, claimed their election nullification was in error. The spokesperson for the group, Ishaku Maren, emphasized their democratic legitimacy, asserting that they were duly elected by the majority of votes in their respective constituencies.
Plateau Guber: S’Court Reveres Sack, Affirms Gov Mutfwang’s Election

The Supreme Court, Friday, reversed the judgment of the Court of Appeal that sacked Governor Caleb Mutfwang of Plateau State from office on ground of unlawful nomination. The judgement read by Justice Emmanuel Agim held that the court below made an error in allowing the All Progressives Congress APC to delve into the conduct of the primary election by the People’s Democratic Party PDP and nullified the election unjustly. The court held that the issue of primary election was an internal affairs of political parties and that no other party can dabble into it except members of the same party. Besides, Justice Agim said that the issue of alleged improper conduct of the ward and local governments election used to sack the Governor was not justiceable. According to him, the conduct of the ward and local governments election was an affairs of the State Executive Committee of a political party while the conduct of the primary election for the nomination of a governorship candidate is entirely that of the National Executive Committee of a political party. Also, the court established that there was no issue of irregularities in the ways and manners the Governorship primary election that produced the governor was conducted in Plateau and wondered why that of the ward election was used to nullify the gubernatorial poll. He said that evidence was even well adduced that an order of Plateau State High Court allegedly disobeyed was indeed obeyed by parties involved. Therefore, the court unanimously voided and set aside the order of the Court of Appeal that Nentawe Goshwehe, the governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) be inaugurated as Plateau State Governor. The Supreme Court affirmed the judgment of the Plateau State Governorship Election Petitions Tribunal which had earlier dismissed the petition of the APC and its governorship candidate. Governor Mutfwang of the PDP scored 525,299 votes to beat the All Progressives Congress candidate, Nentawe Yilwatda, who garnered 481,370 votes during the 18 March governorship poll in Plateau State. The governor’s election was upheld by the Plateau State Governorship Election Petitions Tribunal in Jos, the state capital. However, the Court of Appeal in Abuja, in its judgement delivered on 19 November 2023, overturned Mr Mutfwang’s victory, prompting him to file an appeal at the Supreme Court to challenge the lower court’s decision.
Plateau guber: S/Court reserves judgement on Gov Mutfwang’s appeal

The Supreme Court of Nigeria, Tuesday, reserved its judgement on appeal instituted by the Governor of Plateau State, Caleb Mutfwang, challenging the nullification of his election by the Court of Appeal. A five-member panel of the apex court, led by Justice Inyang Okoro, adjourned the appeal for judgement, after all the parties argued their case and adopted their processes. In his argument, Governor Mutfwang, through his counsel, Chief Kanu Agabi, SAN, prayed the court dismiss the judgement of the Court of Appeal in Abuja, which sacked him from office. Agabi, SAN, argued that after the tribunal properly evaluated both documentary and oral evidence that were adduced by the parties, dismissed as lacking in merit, the petition that was lodged against the outcome of the governorship election by candidate of the All Progressives Congress(APC)Mr. Nentawe Goshwe. He further submitted that the onus of conducting a primary election to select candidates to be sponsored in an election, rests on the National Executive organ of the party. “A number of exhibits were tendered to prove that valid Congress was conducted and monitored by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC. “A video was played before the tribunal showing that congresses held and the person that instituted the court action was see in the video, participating in the process.” Concluding, he posited that the sponsorship and nomination of a candidate in an election, being a pre-election issue, was of jurisdiction of both the tribunal and the appellate court. On his part, the APC candidate, through Prof. Joseph Olatoke, SAN, asked the court to uphold the Court of Appeal judgement that ordered the INEC to issue Certificate of Return. He insisted that his is the candidate that garnered the highest number of valid votes in the governorship poll. According to him, PDP’ is structureless in the state, as it refuses to elect its State Executives as ordered by the court, hence, not capable of presenting a valid candidate in the governorship election. In the same vern, counsel to the APC, Mr. Omosanya Popoola, asked the court to uphold the judgement that sacked the Appellant from office.
Addressing Insecurity: Plateau Govt launches Security Information Centre

The Plateau State Government has taken a significant step in addressing the prevailing insecurity challenges within the region by inaugurating a Security and Information Centre (SIC). This initiative aims to foster better communication between the government and the public while facilitating the reporting of security incidents by residents. Governor Caleb Mutfwang emphasized the importance of the SIC in bridging the existing communication gap. The centre’s establishment is anticipated to enhance the flow of information between the general populace and the government, thus aiding in the swift resolution of security concerns. The governor’s remarks were made during the centre’s official inauguration event held in Jos. In recent times, the Plateau State has grappled with an ongoing wave of attacks in several communities, particularly within the Mangu Local Government Area and other regions. Tragically, these attacks have resulted in the loss of over 300 lives. In response to this distressing situation, the government has sought to proactively address security issues and provide a means for residents to engage actively in the reporting process. Administered under the Plateau State Information and Communication Technology Development Agency (PICTDA), the SIC is equipped with a toll-free hotline to facilitate the sharing of vital security-related information. Notably, the centre has already commenced operations, serving as a pivotal conduit through which the government can swiftly receive early warning signals. The primary goal is to enable the authorities to intervene promptly and effectively in situations that require immediate attention. Moreover, the SIC holds the promise of being a two-way communication platform. While it empowers residents to report security developments, it also acts as a medium for citizens to provide feedback on developmental matters within the state. This dual functionality contributes to a more holistic and proactive approach to governance, enabling the government to stay attuned to the needs and concerns of the people it serves. In essence, the establishment of the Security and Information Centre represents a significant stride in Plateau State’s journey toward enhancing security and communication. By integrating technology, public engagement, and timely interventions, this initiative stands as a testament to the government’s commitment to safeguarding its citizens and fostering a safer environment for all.
Plateau signs agreement with SON to boost enterprises

The Plateau government has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Standards Organisation of Nigeria (SON) to boost the activities of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) in the state. The MoU was signed on Wednesday in Jos by the Director-General of the Plateau State Microfinance Development Development Agency (PLASMIDA), Mr. Bomkam Wuyep, for the state government. Also, the Director-General of SON, Malam Farouk Salim, who was represented by Mr Sale Babaji, the North Central regional manager, signed on behalf of Salim. Wuyep said that the signing of the MoU with SON would enable the MSMEs in the state to take advantage of the services of SON which would enhance the production of the quality of locally produced goods making them of standard and competitive in the international markets. Wuyep also said that the signing of the MoU would enable the MSMEs in the state to enjoy discounted registration with the SON. According to him, the certification the MSMEs get from SON will also enable them to access certain funding. The director-general of SON said the signing of the MOU would help the MSMEs in the state to grow and ensure that their products are standardized in line with international standards. According to him, the MoU would also enable the MSMEs at the grassroots to benefit from the packages of SON