Court dismisses Philip Shaibu’s N50bn suit against ex-Gov. Obaseki, others

The Federal High Court in Abuja, on Monday dismissed a N50 billion fundamental rights enforcement suit filed by Philip Shaibu, former Deputy Governor of Edo, against ex-Gov. Godwin Obaseki and others Justice Peter Lifu, in a ruling, dismissed the suit following an application to withdraw the suit by Anita Oteh, who appeared for Shaibu. Upon resumed hearing in the matter, Oteh informed the court that parties in the suit had settled their differences, hence, the need to withdraw the suit. However, Aliyu Abdulkadir, who represented the Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF), the 4th defendants in the suit, told the court that he was not aware of the settlement. According to him, if there is any settlement, we should be informed so that we are well guided. “However, we are not opposed to the application for withdrawal and will also not be asking for a cost, but I will make a simple request,” he said. Abdulkadir then prayed the court to dismissed the suit. Oteh disagreed with Abdulkadir’s request, urging the court to grant their application for the withdrawal of the suit. Justice Lifu, in his ruling, held that, having joined issues in the matter, the proper thing was to dismiss the case. “In view of the fact that issues have been joined in this matter, this suit is hereby dismissed in its entirety”, he ruled. In the writ of summons, had sued Edo State Governor; Inspector-General (I-G) of Police; Director, Department of State Services (DSS), AGF and Attorney General of Edo as 1st to 5th defendants respectively. In the suit marked FHC/ABJ/CS/914/2024 dated July  4, 2024 but filed July 19, 2024 by his counsel, Egwuaba Reuben, Shaibu sought right reliefs. The ex-deputy governor sought an order of the court awarding the sum of N50 billion to him for aggravated and exemplary damages against the defendants to be paid jointly for the illegal and unconstitutional violation of his fundamental rights. He also sought an order of perpetual injunction, restraining the defendants and their agents from further arresting or detaining him, repeating or continuing any act or further acts in violation of his fundamental rights on issues bordering on or connected to facts of the case without the leave of the court. The plaintiff equally sought for the sum of N100 million as the cost of filing the suit. In his witness statement of oath deposed to by himself, Shaibu averred that he was elected deputy governor of Edo and his tenure was to end on Nov. 11, 2024 He however alleged that on instigation of Obaseki and with the aid of the I-G, “I was unlawfully removed from the office before the expiration of my tenure which same issue is a subject of litigation pending before this court.” He further alleged that upon discovery that he had been  removed as deputy governor, the I-G withdrew all his security personnel who ought to have protected his life until the expiration of his term in office. Shaibu also said his attention was drawn to a publication on July 2, 2024, wherein the Edo government issued a notice directing the retrieval of 22 official government vehicles in his custody, among others. He, therefore, prayed the court to declare that the attempt by the 1st defendant (Obaseki) to instigate the 2nd to 5th defendants to be arrested was unlawful and amounted to an attempt to infringe on his fundamental rights guaranteed under the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended), among other reliefs. It was observed that no lawyer appeared for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th defendants on Monday. Justice James Omotosho of a sister court had, on July 17, 2024, reinstated Shaibu as deputy governor, three months after the Edo House of Assembly impeached him. Justice Omotosho held that the impeachment by the house was illegal.

Obaseki Says Shaibu Remains Impeached

Edo: Obaseki Supports My Governorship Bid, Says Philip Shaibu

Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo State has reiterated that his deputy, Philip Shaibu, remains impeached, despite a recent court ruling. On Friday, Obaseki responded to a statement attributed to Shaibu, where he warned Permanent Secretaries and Heads of Ministries, Departments, and Agencies (MDAs) against the possible looting of government properties by political appointees. Obaseki, through his media adviser Crusoe Osagie, urged Edo State workers to dismiss Shaibu’s directives, emphasizing that Shaibu has no authority to issue instructions as he remains impeached. The governor reaffirmed that Shaibu’s removal from office is still in effect, pending the court’s final decision, and that the deputy governor holds no power to interfere with the functioning of state employees. This comes after the Federal High Court in Abuja, in a July ruling, ordered Shaibu’s reinstatement, stating that due process was not followed during his impeachment by the Edo State House of Assembly. The state government and the House of Assembly’s attempt to challenge the court’s decision was dismissed, with costs awarded against them. Obaseki’s administration, however, continues to uphold Shaibu’s impeachment while awaiting the court’s definitive ruling on the matter.

Security Personnel Surround Edo Govt House Over Shaibu’s Resumption

Edo: Obaseki Supports My Governorship Bid, Says Philip Shaibu

Nigeria security agencies have surrounded the Edo State Government House following reports that the Deputy Governor, Philip Shaibu, would resume office today (Monday).   The security personnel include policemen, Department of State Services (DSS) officials and personnel of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), with many Armoured Personnel Carriers (APC) to prevent the breakdown of law and order.   They prevented vehicles into Government House from the first gate with staff, journalists, visitors, and others politely asked to trek, leaving their cars behind.   This is as the Edo Deputy Governor’s Chief Press Secretary, Ebomhiana Musa, in a statement, denied any plan to invade the Osadebe House.   Musa said Shaibu is a peace-loving man who firmly believes in the rule of law. He called on Obaseki to obey court order that affirmed Shaibu as the Deputy Governor of Edo State.   “Our attention has been drawn to the effect that Edo State Deputy Governor, His Excellency, Rt. Hon. Comrade Philip Shaibu is making plans to invade the Government House on Monday, September 30, 2024, in a bid to enforce two different court judgements, ordering his reinstatement.   “We want to put it clearly here that, unlike Governor Godwin Obaseki, Philip Shaibu is a peace-loving man, who firmly believes in the rule of law and would not want to shed innocent blood, for whatever reason.   “As it is today, in eyes of the law and in the eyes of the good people of Edo State, indeed, Nigerians, Philip Shaibu is the de jure and de facto Deputy Governor of Edo State. We need not fight or struggle for that which God has given us.   “Obaseki and his co-travellers should accept the fact that the good people of Edo State have spoken, and his godson, Asue Ighodalo, has been roundly rejected at the governorship election of September 21, 2024. Sadly, this reality is yet to dawn on them.   “Crusoe Osagie (Special Adviser to Edo Governor on Media Projects), the purveyor of the fake news, is well known as an alarmist and propagandist who thrives on rumours and beer parlour gossips, with little or no respect for the ethics of our cherished profession, Journalism. So, he has to be ignored,” Musa said.  

Edo Assembly Set To Impeach Philip Shaibu

The Edo House of Assembly on Wednesday commenced impeachment proceedings against the state Deputy Governor, Philip Shaibu. The Majority leader, Charity Aiguobarueghian, who announced the impeachment notice during plenary, said the petition dated March 5, was signed by 21 out of the 24 members against the deputy governor. Aiguobarueghian stated, “The petition against the deputy governor came in on March 5 and was signed by 21 out of the 24 members. The number of members who signed the petition was more than the two-third requirement stipulated in the constitution.” He also said that the petition was based on two grounds perjury and revealing of government secrets. The speaker of the House, Blessing Agbebaku who acknowledged receipt of the petition, directed the Clerk of the House, Yahaya Omogbai, to serve Shaibu the impeachment notice. Agbebaku also gave the deputy governor seven days to respond to the notice of impeachment. The impeachment notice is the latest in the rift between the state Governor, Godwin Obaseki and his Deputy, who have been at loggerheads since mid-last year when Shaibu announced his intention to run for the office of the governor of the state.

Edo Deputy Governor, Shaibu Arrives PDP Headquarters, Demands Certificate Of Return 

After a controversial election that produced the deputy governor of Edo State, Philip Shaibu, as the candidate of the People’s Democratic Party, (PDP) in the upcoming Edo governorship election, the deputy governor, today arrived the PDP’s headquarters, demanding to be issued a certificate of return. Shaibu, who is currently at the National Secretariat of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), insisted that he should be given the party’s certificate of return, saying he legitimately won the gubernatorial primary held last week. Speaking at the party’s Secretariat, the embattled deputy governor said: “Today is the day set aside for the collection of certificate of return for the winner of the primary. I understand someone came yesterday and was given. Well, the court will decide.” Starnews NG earlier reported that the deputy governor emerged the winner of the parallel governorship primary election of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the state conducted at his residence in Benin City, the state capital. However, Asue Ighodalo, a businessman was declared winner of another PDP Edo gubernatorial election which was observed by officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission, (INEC). The returning officer, Bartholomew Moses, who announced Shaibu as the winner of the primary election, said the deputy governor won the exercise with over 300 votes. Some party delegates who were denied access after arrivinh at the lawn tennis court of the Samuel Ogbemudia stadium in Benin City, subsequently moved to Shaibu’s residence where the election was held. As of the time of filing this report, it was not clear whether the party, PDP would grant Shaibu his request and issue him the certificate of return of the governorship primary and consequently the candidate of the party for the Edo State governorship election.

Edo: Obaseki Supports My Governorship Bid, Says Philip Shaibu

Edo: Obaseki Supports My Governorship Bid, Says Philip Shaibu

Deputy Governor of Edo State, Philip Shaibu has revealed that his principal, Godwin Obaseki is proud of him and is in support of his Governorship Bid. NIGERIAN ANCHOR recalls that Shaibu, on Monday officially declared his intention to run for the gubernatorial election in 2024 In a press conference held in Benin, he expressed confidence in securing the PDP ticket, asserting his dedication as a committed party member. During a live appearance on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily on Tuesday, Shaibu addressed assumptions about his candidacy, stating his firm belief in securing the party’s nomination. He highlighted the attempts to pressure him out of the PDP, emphasizing his unwavering commitment to service and his refusal to succumb to such tactics. Shaibu acknowledged Governor Godwin Obaseki’s support, affirming that he has diligently fulfilled every assignment given to him.  However, he candidly admitted that declaring his gubernatorial ambition was the only perceived misstep. Asserting his dedication to serving the people and his loyalty to the party, Shaibu emphasized his role as a team player, motivated not solely by personal gain but by the collective interests of the populace. “They tried to push me out of the PDP. They did everything. They even announced that I would be declaring a particular day. And the day they announced I would be declaring, I was actually with my family enjoying my vacation. “The Governor is proud of me…there’s no assignment I have been given that I haven’t done well. What I have done (wrong) is say that I want to be the state’s governor.”

Just In: Edo Deputy Gov, Philip Shaibu Declares Governorship Bid

Edo: Obaseki Supports My Governorship Bid, Says Philip Shaibu

Amid mounting speculations, Deputy Governor Philip Shaibu has formally announced his bid to succeed Governor Godwin Obaseki as the Governor of Edo State in the upcoming 2024 election. In a televised address on Monday, Shaibu expressed his firm resolve, stating, “With great conviction and dedication, I declare my intention to contest for the office of Governor of Edo State under the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the forthcoming 2024 election. Together, with your support, we can steer Edo State to unprecedented progress.” Shaibu outlined a comprehensive vision centered on five key pillars crucial for the advancement and prosperity of Edo State during his campaign. Following his announcement, Shaibu inaugurated his campaign headquarters in Benin City, the state capital, signaling the commencement of his gubernatorial campaign. Last week, the Philip Shaibu Campaign Organisation issued invitations, inviting dignitaries to witness Shaibu’s formal declaration to serve as the Chief Servant (Governor) of Edo State. Shaibu’s candidacy sets the stage for a potential political battle against Governor Obaseki, who is reportedly supporting an alternative candidate for the state’s leadership.  Recent months have witnessed escalating tensions between Shaibu and Obaseki, hinting at a fierce electoral contest in the run-up to the 2024 elections.