Babawale Kolawole, 53, allegedly rapes, impregnates 16-year-old in Ondo

A 53-year-old man, Babawale Kolawole has been arrested and arraigned by the Police Command in Ondo State, accused of raping and facilitating the termination of two pregnancies for a 16-year-old niece. DSP Olushola Ayanlade, the command’s spokesperson made this known in a statement on Wednesday in Akure. He explained that incident happened at the suspect’s residence at No. 12, Okeodunwo St., Igbado in Ondo West Local Government Area of the state. “On the Sept. 13, 2025, a 16-year-old minor, reported at the command that her uncle, Babawale Kolawole, had been subjecting her to repeated sexual assault. “The victim further alleged that the suspect engaged in the act almost daily, and that after each episode, he would clean her private part with a piece of cloth. “Shockingly, the suspect had also facilitated the termination of her pregnancies on two occasions. “Upon receipt of this disturbing report, the Gender-Based Offences Unit of the command immediately swung into action, arrested the suspect, and diligently processed the case for prosecution. “The suspect has since been arraigned before a competent court of jurisdiction and remanded in custody pending further trial,” he said. Ayanlade reiterated the command’s unwavering commitment to protecting the rights of women and children, and to ensuring that offenders face the full weight of the law. According to him, the achievement is in line with the policing vision of the Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun. He explained that the IGP reform-driven leadership continues to strengthen gender-sensitive policing, foster accountability, and reinforce strategic responses against sexual and gender-based violence nationwide. 

Villagers protest alleged land grabbing by Okitipupa Oil palm Coy

Crisis is brewing in Ikoya community, Okitipupa LGA, Ondo State, as residents on Wednesday protested alleged arrest of some community members over land acquisition by the Okitipupa Oil Palm Company (OOPC). The protesters at Ikoya, accused OOPC management and the police of “unjust arrest and detention” of some members of the community. The protesters carried placards with inscriptions like: “OOPPlc, Obey Supreme Court Judgment and Quit Our Land’; “Enough of Police Harassment and Intimidation”; “Free Three Ikales and Release Your Landlord Unconditionally”. Some of the protesters who spoke to newsmen demanded the immediate and unconditional release of members of the community arrested and detained by the police. They alleged that the police arrested three of their community members, namely: Mrs. Bose Loyinmi-Ogunlowo, Mrs. Rachael Akinirun and Mr Orimisan Adelokiki, the national leader of Ikale Supreme Civil Right Council, over land dispute with OOPC. They also demanded the eviction of OOPC from their land, alleging that the company had no valid agreement with the community before acquiring the oil palm plantation. They presented a Supreme Court judgment of 1988 as evidence, which they claimed ruled that OOPC should negotiate a valid agreement with the community or vacate the land. They, however, called on Gov. Lucky Aiyedatiwa to wade into the issue as a matter of urgency before it resulted to crisis. Mr Feyi Ekundayo, a Human Right Activist told newsmen that Ikoya people are law-abiding citizens but would not let anyone to unlawfully take the possession of their land under any guise. “We will not tolerate the acquisition of our land under any guise. We’re peace loving people but we will resist further harassment and intimidation of our people over our lawful property. “We call for the immediate and unconditional release of our people arrested and detained by the police, because an injustice to one is injustice to all,” Ekundayo said. Mr Oluyemi Akinirun, Cordinator of Ikale Supreme Civil Right Council also alleged that the OOPC acquired Ikoya Oil Palm plantation unlawfully, saying the company do not have any valid agreement with the community. “What we’re asking for is very simple, OOPC should present any agreement for the acquisition of our land but they refused and begin harassing and intimidating our leaders, even my wife, Rachael, was arrested over the matter. “We have a 1988 Supreme Court judgment which ruled that OOPC should have proper agreement with us or vacate our plantation, this is our evidence and we will not rest on our oars over this matter,” Akinirun said. Another youth leader, Mr Olusola Adenodi appealed to the governor to step into the matter, so as to prevent the breakdown of law and order. Reacting to the protest, the Police spokesman in the state, DSP Olayinka Ayanlade said that those arrested had been arraigned and remanded on the order of the court. 

Ondo farmers petition state government over threat to livelihood

 Farmers in Oluwa Forest Reserve in Odigbo Local Government Area of Ondo State have petitioned Gov. Lucky Aiyedatiwa, over alleged threat to their livelihoods. The farmers, through their lawyer, Mr Tope Temokun, submitted the petition to Gov. Lucky Aiyedatiwa on Friday in Akure. The farmers accused a personality in one of the government agency of unsavoury acts capable of bringing  the state into disrepute. In the petition, the official was alleged of setting the farmers up for quick and forceful eviction under the guise of restoring peace. They explained that there was a subsisting order of the Ondo State High Court restraining government from evicting the farmers from the forest reserve pending the outcome of the court’s verdicts. READ ALSO: The day diplomacy died in the Oval Office “Since 2023, there is a case in the High Court of Ondo State over forceful eviction of farmers in the Oluwa Forest Reserve with a subsisting interim order of court restraining the Ondo State Government and others from forcefully evicting the farmers. “Now, the Ondo State Agribusiness Empowerment Centre (OSAEC) is now laying claim to ownership of Oluwa Forest Reserve, which is the subject matter of dispute before the High Court of Ondo State, asking for injunction against the occupiers of the forest reserve,”the farmers said. The farmers said that the governor’s intervention was necessary at this time to ensure that they have access to their farm crops and that there would be no victimisation against them. “Intervene immediately in this matter to ensure that the farmers are allowed to access their farmlands and harvest their crops without victimisation, further threats, harassment or intimidation. “While the High Court is allowed to determine the case already presented before it, if government will not settle the matter out of court with the farmers. READ ALSO: Tax reform bills, the verdict of Nigerians “Investigate the role of the Ondo State Agribusiness Empowerment Centre (OSAEC) under Mr Rotimi Akinsola in this whole development. “Provide protection for the farmers and ensure that their rights are respected and their interest protected under your government. “We trust in your commitment to justice, fairness, and the welfare of the people of Ondo State. “We hope that you will act swiftly to address this issue and prevent further suffering among the farmers,” the petition read.

Tinubu’s Intervention Can’t Solve Ondo Crisis – PDP

Tinubu's Intervention Can't Solve Ondo Crisis - PDP

Amidst the ongoing efforts to resolve the protracted political standoff in Ondo State, the Peoples Democratic Party’s state chapter has rebuffed the involvement of President Bola Tinubu, asserting that his intervention falls short in resolving the crisis. President Tinubu had convened a late-night meeting with the leadership of the State House of Assembly and the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) in Abuja, aiming to address the contentious situation. Kennedy Peretei, the Publicity Secretary of the opposition party, labeled the meeting as a superficial attempt, emphasizing that the absence of Governor Rotimi Akeredolu poses a significant obstacle to any genuine resolution. Peretei expressed skepticism, drawing parallels to previous reconciliation endeavors that yielded no tangible results, citing the example of the Bello Masari Reconciliation Committee set up by APC National Chairman, Abdullahi Ganduje, which culminated in parties returning to court despite assurances of case withdrawal. “While the impeachment of the Deputy Governor might be halted out of deference for the presidential intervention, the crisis remains unresolved as long as Akeredolu evades return,” stated Peretei.  “The ongoing political deadlock is far from over, resembling a cat-and-mouse race until substantial steps are taken.”

Akeredolu Remains Ondo State Governor, Says Tinubu

Akeredolu Remains Ondo State Governor, Says Tinubu

In a bid to restore calm and political stability in Ondo State, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has intervened in the ongoing crisis between Governor Rotimi Akeredolu and Deputy Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa, announcing Akeredolu’s continuation as Governor.  The decision came after a high-level meeting with Ondo State stakeholders at the Presidential Villa at the weekend. A statement released by Tinubu’s Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Ajuri Ngelale, clarified the President’s stance, dismissing speculations about the invocation of the doctrine of necessity to appoint Aiyedatiwa as the acting governor.  The Presidency emphasized that Akeredolu retains his position as the state’s Governor, reaffirming Aiyedatiwa’s role as the Deputy Governor. Following extensive negotiations involving the President, representatives of both factions, federal and state lawmakers, and APC officials in Ondo State, Tinubu urged all parties to prioritize peace, fostering commitments toward reconciliation. As a result of these deliberations, Governor Akeredolu will continue as the Chief Executive of Ondo State, maintaining the current administration’s stability.  The announcement also ensures the uninterrupted functions of the State Executive Council, while preserving the leadership of the State’s House of Assembly and the APC Chapter in Ondo State.

DSS Storms Ondo PDP Headquarters

DSS Storms Ondo PDP Headquarters

On Monday, operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS) and members of the Nigeria Police Force (NPF) made a conspicuous appearance at the Secretariat of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Ondo State. These security personnel were seen positioning their vehicles in the vicinity of the opposition party’s headquarters. Kennedy Peretei, the spokesperson for the Ondo PDP, officially confirmed the presence of the security operatives. He disclosed that their primary objective appeared to be the prevention of a planned peaceful protest scheduled by the party’s youth wing. Peretei further clarified that the protest aimed to address the ongoing absence of Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu from the State since April 2023, with the intent of seeking information about his whereabouts.  Notably, this heightened security presence hindered the entry of staff into the PDP secretariat. The All Progressives Congress (APC) sounded an alarm on Sunday, alleging potential machinations by the PDP and certain APC figures to instigate unrest within the state.  The APC statement emphasized that Governor Akeredolu would soon return to the State, asserting that he has continued to carry out his official duties even while away.