New academic year: Massive turnout at Abuja schools – FCTA

The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) says FCT schools have recorded an impressive turnout of students, pupils and teachers as they resumed 2025/2026 academic session. Some FCT Administration’s top management officials, led by the Secretary for Education, Dr Danlami Hayyo, said this while carrying out a routine inspection visit to schools in Abuja on Monday. The inspection activity was carried out in primary and secondary schools within Garki Area 11, Garki Area 3, Wuye, Wuse Zone 6 and Wuse zone 3 respectively. Hayyo, who was represented by the Permanent Secretary, Mrs Joy Okeke, said both private and public schools in Abuja recorded an impressive turnout of students, pupils and teachers. He said that school inspection was part of the secretariat’s ritual at the beginning of every term to monitor students’ resumption and teachers’ preparedness. He expressed satisfaction with the resumption level . “This shows that the school children are ready to learn, and the teachers are also ready for their teaching activities,”he said. Hayyo urged the parents whose children and wards are yet to resume, to release them so that they can join others in learning. “All FCT schools both private and public have resumed, I am very impressed with the situation. “As we can see, the environment is looking well renovated. Because our Minister, Nyesom Wike’s priority is education. “That is why he has invested billions of naira in the renovation of the schools. “Relevant stakeholders are grateful to the Minister for renovating their schools because they are very good and conducive for learning”, he stated. On his part, James Kuta, Director and Principal, Government Science Technical College (GSTC), Area 3, Garki-Abuja, said lessons have started as the turnout was encouraging. Kuta said that prior to the resumption, the school management had done fumigation, levelled the grasses, cleaned the classes and hostels, for the students to begin learning. “They are supposed to be 1,060 plus students, we have 631 on resumption. So, we have just about 400 left, and I am sure they will be back. Similarly, Gold Iyabo, Principal of JSS, Garki, Area 11, revealed that on the first day of resumption, the school recorded attendance of 238 out of its total number of 520 students.
2027: No chance for Atiku in PDP, says Wike

In yet another display of his enormous control over the leadership of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike has ruled out any likelihood of former Vice President Atiku Abubakar clinching the party’s ticket for the 2027 general election, saying it will simply not happen. This declaration further affirms the source of the unrelenting strife that has dogged Nigeria’s main opposing and former ruling party. Speaking during a live media parley on Wednesday evening in Abuja, Wike said Atiku had severally presented his blueprint to Nigerians and he had been serially rejected. Atiku who was the PDP Presidential Candidate in 2023 had recently said if he had won the election, he would have done things differently from President Bola Tinubu and Nigerians would not have been faced with the current level of hardship Wike said; “Did he (Atiku) not present it (blueprint) before Nigerians? Did Nigerians choose him? He is lobbying for another chance. The chance will not be there. In which party? How can we use one man for how many years? “Look at America, I am sure you all did not support Trump saying he is this, he is a racist, he is that, we are crying, Americans were thinking about something else, thinking for the good of their own country made a decision. “You presented your blueprint in 2023, Nigerians heard you clear and said thank you, but it will not work, we will not support you. Criticisms do not mean opposition is working”.
President Tinubu Condemns Violence In Rivers

Gov Fubara expresses reservations about the manner of President’s intervention President Bola Tinubu has called on Governor Siminalayi Fubara, political leaders and their supporters in Rivers State to exercise restraint and uphold the rule of law. In response to recent tensions following last Saturday’s local government council election, the President expressed deep concern over reports of arson and explosions in the state. He urged all political actors to de-escalate the situation and discourage their supporters from engaging in violence or destructive actions. President Tinubu directed the police to restore and maintain peace, law, and order immediately. While instructing law enforcement agencies to bring the situation under control, he emphasised the need to ensure the security of public institutions. President Tinubu said government facilities built with public funds must be safeguarded from vandalism. He stressed that self-help has no place in a democratic system, especially after 25 years of continuous democracy. According to President Tinubu, the judiciary can settle all political disputes, and the outcome of this election should be no exception. Gov Fubara, Angio Briggs express reservations Reacting to the President’s intervention however, Governor Siminlaye Fubara and Niger Delta Environmental Rights activist, Angio Briggs berated the manner of the President’s intervention. Speaking on a Channels TV programme last night the duo wondered why the President singled out Governor Fubara’s name while leaving out the name of the alleged traducer. Ms. Briggs rhetorically asked who are the political leaders President Tinubu referred to but couldn’t call their name(s)?
Rivers LG Election: Armed Gunmen Disrupt Polls in Wike’s Ward

Tensions have escalated in the Rumuepirikom community, Rivers State, as gunmen disrupt voting in the ongoing LG election. Rumuepirikom is the home of Chief Nyesom Wike, the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory who is opposed to the election taking place. Observers say that voting could not take place as heavy gunfire rings out during election day. Further reports indicate that earlier, unknown individuals warned residents to stay indoors, discouraging them from participating in the polls. As electoral officers approached the voting station in Obio/Akpor Local Government Area, armed assailants arrived and launched an attack, effectively seizing control of the area. One person has reportedly been injured by gunfire and is receiving medical treatment. The violence has left voters in fear, disrupting the electoral process.
Adamawa Governor Fintiri Joins Wike’s G-5 Faction, Storms Port Harcourt

Nigeria’s former ruling party, the Peoples Democratic Party appears to sink deeper into crisis as Adamawa State Governor, Ahmadu Umaru Fintiri seems to have joined the G-5 faction of the party led by former Rivers State Governor and current minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike. Earlier today, Saturday, Fintiri, alongside Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde and other former G-5 members, attended a grand reception hosted by the Rivers Ijaw Peoples Congress in honour of Wike. This development comes on the heels of Fintiri’s public endorsement of Ambassador Umar Damagun as the Acting National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), a close ally of Wike. The endorsement was made amid internal discord and criticism directed at the current National Working Committee of the party. Notedly, Fintiri and former Vice President Atiku Abubakar are from the same state. Atiku is opposed to the continued chairmanship of Damagum. The G-5 group, self-styled as the Integrity Group, comprised five governors from the PDP who refused to support Atiku Abubakar, the party’s presidential candidate, in the 2023 election. Their stance was rooted in the belief that the presidency should rotate from the north to the south, promoting inclusivity and a rotational presidency. The group initially had Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi (Enugu State), Okezie Ikpeazu (Abia State), Samuel Ortom (Benue State), Seyi Makinde (Oyo State) and Nyesom Wike (Rivers State) as members.
Pro-Fubara Rivers Assembly confirms Iboroma as commissioner

The Rivers State House of Assembly faction loyal to Governor Siminalayi Fubara has screened and confirmed a legal luminary, Dagogo Israel Iboroma, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, SAN as Commissioner-designate. The faction led by Speaker Victor Oko Jumbo loyal To Governor Siminalayi Fubara screened and confirmed Commissioner-nominee, Dagogo Iboroma on Monday at the Chambers Inside Rivers State Government House, Port Harcourt. Iboroma is likely to be sworn into office by Governor Fubara as the Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, the office vacated by Professor Zaccheus Adangor SAN, who resigned when he was redeployed to the Ministry to Special Duties,(Governor’s office),two weeks ago. Iboroma was on Sunday invited via a letter signed by Dr.G.M. Gills-West,the Clerk of the House to come for screening as the Commissioner nominee as a member of the Rivers State Executive Council on today 13th May, 2024 at 10:00am at Hallowed Chambers, Rivers State House Of Assembly, Auditorium , Admin Block, Rivers State Government House, Port Harcourt.
FCTA partners South Korea, Turkiye on vocational education, agriculture – Wike

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Mr Nyesom Wike, has said that the FCT Administration (FCTA) would partner with the Republic of South Korea on vocational education. Wike also expressed willingness to partner with Turkiye on agricultural development. The minister stated this when the Ambassadors of South Korea to Nigeria and his Turkiye counterpart visited him in his office. He told the Ambassador of South Korea to Nigeria, Kim Young-Chae, that he visited the country while he was the minister of education and discussed the issue of vocational education. He described South Korea’s vocational education model as “impressive”, saying that the model enables students who do not want to go further, to have some skills. “It was my desire that we would have concluded with that partnership then, but unfortunately, that was not to be. “I would also like to reintroduce that as the FCT minister to see how we can also have that vocational school,” he said. Wike added that he would like to introduce a hands-on model to the vocational schools and skill acquisition centres in the FCT. This, he said, would be in partnership with the Republic of South Korea. He said that he was impressed when he visited Samsung and noticed that sometimes, the company supplies refrigerators and cars to the vocational schools for practical purposes. “I think we have to see how we can come back to that issue because vocational education is very key to us,” he said. Earlier, Young-Chae informed the minister about his country’s collaboration with the Ministry of Agriculture and the Rural Electrification Agency. He said that the aim was to build a mini electricity grid in the FCT which was ongoing. He also disclosed that South Korea plans to introduce a grant project to help young businessmen start new businesses. This, he said, was in addition to the Nigeria-Korea Model School in the FCT and other training programmes for teachers. “In addition to that, we have launched a smart school project, one in each of the six geopolitical zones, to help innovate schools in terms of communication technology and teachers’ education,” he said. In a related development, the FCT minister, while hosting the Turkiye Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr Hidayet Bayrakter, on Monday, said that FCT has large arable land for agricultural development. He said that collaboration with Tirkiye in that regard would be beneficial for both countries. On the Abuja metro rail line, the minister said that the FCT Administration has an open-door policy and would be willing to discuss with companies from Turkey. Wike, however, appealed for a review of Turkish visa policy, pointing out that the policy of short-term, single-entry visas may not be good enough to enhance business collaborations. Earlier, Bayrakter sought the collaboration of the FCT Administration in the construction of the second phase of the ongoing Abuja metro line system. The ambassador said that Turkiye had very capable construction companies with experience in rail constructions as well as suspension bridges. Some of the companies, he said, were involved in the construction of the metro system in Dubai and Qatar, in addition to building one of the biggest suspension bridges in the world. He said that the companies have expressed interest in partnering with the FCT Administration. He expressed the readiness of Turkish investors to meet with the FCT minister for further discussions on the second phase of the rail project.