Melaye, Ajaka Call For Nullification Of ‘Shameful’ Kogi Guber Election

In the aftermath of the Kogi State governorship election, both Dino Melaye, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate, and the Social Democratic Party (SDP) governorship candidate Muritala Ajaka have faulted the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) over the conduct of the governorship election in the state, calling for the nullification of the results amidst alleged irregularities and malpractices. During a press conference in Lokoja on Sunday, Dino Melaye strongly condemned the election, labeling it as “shameful” and asserting that it did not qualify as a genuine electoral exercise. Melaye criticized the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), accusing them of refusing to address the issues that marred previous elections. He claimed that in the central senatorial district of Kogi, accreditation was carried out manually, the Biometric Verification Authentication System (BVAS) was not utilized, and prepared result sheets were evident even before accreditation began. “I will start by condemning in its totality the conduct of the elections yesterday and outrightly call for the total cancellation of the election because that was not an election,” the PDP candidate said. “It is shameful that the unhealthy INEC refuse to realise, ameliorate or palliate the problems they created in the last presidential and governorship elections. “Yesterday in the five local governments of the central senatorial district in Kogi state, there was no election. Surprisingly, accreditation was done manually, the BVAS was not used. Prepared sheets manifested even before accreditation took place and evidence is all over the media. “So, INEC as a matter of urgency must cancel the election. In many areas where I won, my agents were told there were no available result sheets to enter the result and we have evidence to back up these claims. “As I speak to you, it is shameful that this is what our democracy has descended to. INEC has manifested more than before, that they cannot be trusted, they are biased, they are compromised, and they cannot be a neutral umpire. “INEC officials and youth corps members were caught yesterday with prepared result sheets even before the commencement of the processes. A youth corps member was arrested with a prepared result and N1 million in his bag.” Melaye further accused INEC officials and youth corps members of being caught with pre-prepared result sheets, suggesting a compromise of the electoral process. Hours earlier, social media had been flooded with alleged result sheets for the Kogi governorship election, intensifying concerns over the integrity of the electoral process. In a parallel move, the SDP, through its agent David Edibo, presented a petition to the State Returning Officer, urging INEC to cancel the election results from Kogi Central. The SDP said it did not accept the outcome of the election in the five local government areas within the senatorial district, raising objections despite opposition from the APC agent, Idris King. As the collation of results continued, tensions heightened with Governor Yahaya Bello and APC candidate Usman Adodo hailing from Kogi Central.
Atiku Approaches Supreme Court, Seeks Nullification Of Tribunal Verdict

Alhaji Abubakar Atiku, the presidential candidate of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), has escalated his legal battle by approaching the Supreme Court to challenge the judgment of the Presidential Election Petition Court. The move comes after the petition court, on September 6, upheld the victory of Bola Ahmed Tinubu, the presidential candidate of the All Progressive Congress (APC), in the 2023 presidential election. Atiku’s Notice of Appeal, consisting of 35 grounds, asserts that the tribunal’s judgment, delivered by Justice Haruna Simon Tsammani, was marred by serious errors and a miscarriage of justice. These errors and mis-judgments, according to Atiku’s lead counsel, Chief Chris Uche, SAN, warrant the Supreme Court’s intervention to rectify the situation. The Notice of Appeal seeks to have the Supreme Court set aside the entire findings and conclusions of the tribunal, as Atiku believes they do not accurately represent the substance of his petition. One of the key arguments put forth by the former Vice President is that the Tribunal erred in law by failing to nullify the presidential election conducted on February 25, 2023. This non-compliance with the Electoral Act, 2022, is alleged to be rooted in INEC’s conduct of the election, which, according to evidence presented to the tribunal, was characterized by grave and gross misrepresentation. This misrepresentation is deemed contrary to the principles outlined in the Electoral Act 2022 and runs counter to the “doctrine of legitimate expectation.” Atiku’s appeal to the Supreme Court signals his determination to exhaust all legal avenues available to challenge the tribunal’s judgment and contest the declaration of Tinubu as President by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
Nullification of Declaration: Again, Binani drags INEC to court

Aisha Dahiru, also known as “Binani,” the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate in the Adamawa governorship election, has filed a fresh lawsuit against the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) over the nullification of her declaration as governor of Adamawa State in the March 18 governorship election. The lawsuit was filed before Justice Donatus Okorowo of the Federal High Court in Abuja. Binani is seeking a judicial review of INEC’s decision to reverse her earlier announcement as the winner of the election. She has named INEC, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), and its candidate, Governor Ahmadu Fintiri, as respondents in the lawsuit. Binani’s counsel, Michael Aondoaka, argued that the fate of his client should be decided by the election petition tribunal in accordance with Section 149 of the Electoral Act, 2022. He stated that INEC’s decision would deprive Binani of the opportunity to have her petition addressed within the 180-day timeframe provided by Section 285(6) of the Act. Aondoaka highlighted that a similar suit was previously filed before Justice Inyang Ekwo, who directed Binani to approach a tribunal for her case since it involved an election-related matter. Therefore, Aondoaka requested a review of INEC’s action. To demonstrate the seriousness of the case, an undertaking was signed to assure the court that the present suit was not frivolous, and Binani’s side was prepared to bear any costs if the court deemed the case to be frivolous. After hearing the arguments, Justice Okorowo reserved judgment on the matter. It should be noted that Binani had previously withdrawn a suit before Justice Ekwo on April 26, following Governor Fintiri’s declaration as the winner of the governorship poll. However, upon the resumption of the hearing, Binani’s counsel informed Justice Ekwo that a notice of discontinuance had been filed, urging the court to strike out the case. Justice Ekwo reminded the counsel of a previous order to address the jurisdiction of the court, but since the order was not followed, the judge dismissed the case. The outcome of the fresh lawsuit filed by Binani against INEC remains pending as the court will deliver its ruling on the matter.