Ndigbo in the Crosshairs of ‘Days of Rage’ (2)

THE ‘Ides of March’ are now set for August. And that month is two days hence. Typical of Nigerians the ides of March have been re-branded and rechristened and restructured. Our own, if they actually happen, will not be for one momentous occasion. They are programmed to last for days, all of 10 consecutive days, from August 1. What a time to be alive.

NLC accepts N70,000 as new national minimum wage

By Doris Isreal Ijeoma The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has accepted the offer of N70,000 as the new National Minimum Wage, as proposed by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu during a meeting at the Presidential Villa on July 18, 2024.  This was disclosed in a statement via NLC’s X handle on Friday, July 19. This decision was made during an emergency treatment National Executive Council (NEC) meeting held on July 19, 2024. The statement reads:”The National Executive Council (NEC) of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) convened today in an emergency meeting in response to the outcomes of the Meeting with the federal government which held yesterday, the 18th of July, 2024 at the Presidential Villa with the new National Minimum Wage in focus. “The President of the Federation, His Excellency Senator Bola Ahmed Tinubu, presided over the meeting. “The NEC-in-session after extensive deliberations, unanimously: 1. Commended and applauded the doggedness of the leadership of the Congress on the courage and forthrightness with which they handled the National Minimum Wage fixing exercise 2. Accepted the President’s offer of N70,000 (Seventy thousand Naira) as the new National Minimum Wage and the 3-yearly tenure for its review. 3. Demanded full and strict compliance by all to the dictates of the National Minimum Wage 2024 when it becomes an Act.” “NEC-in-session concluded that this decision, though challenging and far from our initial demand, was made in the spirit of solidarity and sacrifice for Nigerian masses to avert a threatened further hike in the price of Petrol which would inflict more hardship on the already suffering masses. “Once again, NEC-in-session restates the commitment of the NLC to continue to stand resolutely in its mission to defend and advance the rights of Nigerian workers and Nigerian people at all times. It therefore calls on all Nigerians to unite in this cause and to hold our leaders accountable to the same standards of sacrifice and service.”

Just In: NLC, TUC Suspend Nationwide Strike

Just In: NLC, TUC Suspend Nationwide Strike

The National Executive Council of the Nigeria Labour Congress and the Trade Union Congress on Wednesday night suspended the ongoing strike. The unions said the suspension followed the intervention of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu. Our correspondent gathered that the meeting which commenced at a few minutes past 7 pm lasted for close to one hour during which various affiliates and state chapters reviewed the outcome of the meeting held between the leaders of the organised labour and Ribadu. The National Deputy Vice-President of the TUC, Tommy Etim, made this known in an interview in Abuja. “The NEC of the NLC and the TUC have suspended the strike. We did this based on our trust for the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, who gave us his words,” he said. The labour leaders met with Ribadu alongside the Minister of Labour, Simon Lalong, at the Office of the NSA on Wednesday afternoon. The NSA had announced that the individuals responsible for the brutalisation of Ajaero had been arrested. The organised labour is protesting against the alleged brutalisation of its National President, Joe Ajaero, and the failure of the government to implement some of the agreements reached on October 2, 2023 effectively.

Day 2 Nationwide Strike: NLC Pickets Banks, Courts, Govt Offices

Just In: NLC, TUC Suspend Nationwide Strike

The nationwide strike declared by the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) entered its second day with intensified actions across various states, including Kaduna, Rivers, Edo, Yobe, and others. Union officials, spearheading the strike, engaged in picketing activities targeting banks, courts, and government offices to press for compliance with their demands. In Kaduna, the enforcement team led by NLC Chairman Ayuba Suleiman took measures to ensure full compliance with the strike. Gates of the Kaduna State Secretariat, housing several ministries, were locked along the independence way. Similarly, all banks along the Yakubu-Gowon Way remained closed for regular business, except for Automated Teller Machine (ATM) services. Additionally, the National Union of Electricity Employees (NUEE) halted operations at the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) power plant in Mando, while the Kaduna Electricity Distribution Company’s headquarters remained shut. Expressing contentment with the level of compliance, Suleiman reiterated the unions’ commitment to maintaining the strike until the government addresses their demands comprehensively. Moving to Rivers State, workers’ protest actions resulted in the closure of the Court of Appeal and several other offices on Moscow Road, Port Harcourt. Notably, facilities hosting agencies like the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL), housing the Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) and Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority (NMDPRA), were also locked down. Vehicles belonging to workers lined the roads, while operations remained suspended. In Edo State, Organised Labour leaders monitored compliance and disrupted the inaugural sitting of the Edo State Local Government Election Petition Tribunal, impacting activities at the NNPC Mega Filling Station on Sapele Road in Benin City. The strike also affected schools and banks in the region. However, in Yobe State, the strike experienced partial compliance as some government and private offices operated behind closed doors. In response, the NLC/TUC Task Force shut down offices that were not adhering to the indefinite strike in Damaturu, the state capital. NLC Chairman Muktar Tarbutu emphasized ongoing efforts to sensitize members for complete compliance with the national directives. The second day of the nationwide strike witnessed varying levels of impact across different regions, with intensified efforts by union officials to enforce compliance and escalate the strike’s influence until their demands are met. *Channelstv.com

NLC, TUC Strike Not In National Interest – Presidency

NLC, TUC Strike Not In National Interest – Presidency

*Says It’s An Attempt To Blackmail FG The Presidency, in response to the ongoing Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress of Nigeria (TUC) nationwide strike, has denounced it as “unjustified,” alleging it as a move to pressure the government. Bayo Onanuga, the President’s Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, conveyed astonishment at the strike’s continuation despite a restraining order from the National Industrial Court. In a statement released on Tuesday and made available to NIGERIAN ANCHOR, Onanuga criticized the decision, stating, “This move by the NLC and TUC, apart from being self-serving, is unwarranted. It appears to be an effort to coerce the government by the NLC leadership.” He further added, “We’re puzzled as to why the NLC and TUC chose to penalize an entire nation of over 200 million people over a personal issue involving NLC President, Mr. Joe Ajaero. His mis-judgment resulted in an attack on him in Owerri while attempting to incite Imo State workers into an unnecessary strike.” The presidency said further that the strike action is illegal, immoral, unjustifiable and irresponsible, and will bring untold hardship upon Nigerians. See the full statement below: STATE HOUSE PRESS STATEMENT NLC/TUC STRIKE ACTION NOT IN NATIONAL INTEREST We notice with dismay the decision by the Nigerian Labour Congress and Trade Union Congress to call out workers to commence a strike action from midnight, despite a restraining order issued last week by Justice Benedict Backwash Kanyip of the National Industrial Court. This decision by the NLC and TUC other than being an ego-tripping move is clearly unwarranted. It is an attempt to blackmail the government by the leadership of the NLC. We are still at a loss as to why the NLC and TUC decided to punish a whole country of over 200million people over a personal matter involving the NLC President, Mr. Joe Ajaero, whose error of judgment led to assault on him in Owerri while he was planning to incite the workers in Imo State into a needless strike. While the Federal government does not condone any form of violence and assault on any citizen of Nigeria regardless of his or her social and economic status, it is on record that the Inspector General of Police has ordered investigation into what happened to Mr. Ajaero while the Commissioner of Police in Imo State under whose watch the incident happened has been transferred out of the state. Calling out workers on a national strike over a personal issue of a labour leader despite a clear court order against any industrial action amounts to an abuse of privilege. Power at any level should never be used to settle personal scores. Rather, it should be used to promote collective progress and advance national interest. Our national economy and social activities should not suffer because of the personal interest of any labour leader. This flagrant disobedience to court order and lack of respect for the judiciary should not be what the organised Labour would champion. The labour movement has always been a champion of rule of law and respect for the judiciary. It is a sad irony that the current labour leaders have shown disdain and utter disregard for court order. We reiterate that this strike action is illegal, immoral, unjustifiable and irresponsible. What the strike notice issued Monday night after official hours suggests is it’s designed for a sinister and hidden agenda to cause undue hardship and cause civil disturbance in our country. This is unacceptable. Bayo OnanugaSpecial Adviser to the President on Information & Strategy November 13, 2023

Multiple Unions, Including Banks, Medical Staff, ASUP Join NLC Nationwide Strike

Multiple Unions, Including Banks, Medical Staff, ASUP Join NLC Nationwide Strike

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) have initiated a nationwide strike following a directive issued last week. The strike has seen several affiliate unions, including the National Union of Banks, Insurance, and Financial Institutions Employees (NUBIFIE), the Medical and Health Workers Union of Nigeria, and the Senior Staff Association of Nigeria Polytechnics (SSANIP), participate in the industrial action. The announcement of compliance was shared by the NLC in a Tuesday morning Facebook post, revealing circulars issued by various unions. Notable among these unions were the Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics (ASUP), the National Union of Food Beverage and Tobacco Employees, the Maritime Workers’ Union of Nigeria (MWUN), and the National Union of Electricity Employees. The strike was prompted by the physical assault on NLC National President Joe Ajaero in Imo State two weeks ago. Ajaero, along with other NLC members, was demonstrating against prolonged salary non-payment for 44 months and violation of labour rights. The protest raised suspicion in some quarters, viewed as an attempt to derail Governor Hope Uzodimma’s re-election bid in the recent governorship election. Despite the National Industrial Court (NIC) restraining the unions from commencing the strike amidst an impasse with the Imo State Government, the unions issued a statement on Monday, directing workers nationwide to withdraw their services starting midnight. They cited the decision from the Joint National Executive Council (NEC) of NLC and TUC, urging compliance with the directive through circulars disseminated by affiliates and state councils. In light of the assault on Ajaero, the NLC and TUC had previously threatened a nationwide strike on November 14, demanding, among other things, the resignation of police officials if the government failed to meet their demands. The unions expressed concern over the criminalization of peaceful protests by workers in Nigeria. To emphasize their demands, the unions staged a picket at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja last week, causing travel disruptions. Recent strikes in Nigeria have had varying outcomes. Notably, last month, unions called off a planned strike protesting rising living costs after the federal government proposed a series of measures to mitigate the impact of its economic reforms occasioned by the removal of fuel subsidy.

Just In: Court Stops NLC, TUC From Embarking On Nationwide Strike

Just In: NLC, TUC Suspend Nationwide Strike

The National Industrial Court, on Friday, restrained the Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC, Trade Union Congress, TUC, as well as their affiliates from embarking on any form of strike or industrial action. The two labour unions were ordered to stop their planned nationwide strike scheduled to commence on November 14. President of the Court, Justice Benedict Bakwaph Kanyip issued the restraining order following an ex-parte application to that effect brought before the Court by the Federal Government of Nigeria and the Attorney General of the Federation, AGF, and Minister of Justice. Justice Kanyip invoked sections 17 and 19 of the National Industrial Court Act to issue the restraining order against the organised labour. The Federal Government and the AGF through their lawyer, Tijani Gazali had in the ex-parte application prayed the court to stop the planned strike. They said this was to avert untold hardships that would be inflicted on innocent law abiding citizens and their businesses. Gazali, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) and Director of Civil Appeals in the Federal Ministry of Justice, while arguing the ex-parte application, drew the attention of Justice Kanyip to series of hardships suffered by Nigerians on Thursday alone when the labour unions blocked entrances to the main Airports in the country. He pleaded that unless the planned strike is stopped, there may be a likelihood of breach of peace in the country. The Judge, who was persuaded by the government’s arguments, said that it is within the power of the court to intervene by way of a restraining order to ensure peace and tranquility. He proceeded to grant all the requests of the federal government as contained on the motion paper. Besides, Justice Kanyip directed that the restraining order be pasted on the wall of the building at the last known address of the two defendants to draw their attention to the Court’s position. The Judge also directed that the order along with the originating and other processes be served by publication in two major national dailies. Meanwhile, the case file has been transferred to Justice Olufunke Anuwe who is said to be handling similar labour dispute related matters.

BREAKING! NLC Protests, Blocks Abuja Airport

Just In: NLC, TUC Suspend Nationwide Strike

Members of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) on Thursday initiated a protest in Abuja. The group seized control of entry and exit points at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja. This has led to flight disruptions and chaotic scenes around the airport area.  The demonstration comes in response to the recent assault on Joe Ajaero, NLC’s president in Imo state.  Aviation unions, aligning with NLC, have instructed their workers to halt services for both public and private Owerri flights, intensifying the impact of the protest.  More details later…

Just In: NLC, TUC Declare Nationwide Strike November 14

Just In: NLC, TUC Declare Nationwide Strike November 14

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) have jointly announced a nationwide strike, scheduled to commence on November 14, 2023. This decision emerged following an extraordinary National Executive Council meeting held in Abuja on Tuesday. The two prominent labour unions have also initiated nationwide mobilization efforts to rally their members and allies in preparation for the impending strike. The call for this industrial action is rooted in the recent assault on NLC National President, Joe Ajaero, in Imo State, which sparked widespread outrage within the Organized Labour community. The Commissioner of Police in Imo State, Mohammed Barde, has been accused of complicity in the attack on Ajaero in Owerri, the state’s capital. Last Friday, Organized Labour issued a five-day ultimatum to the Federal Government, demanding the replacement of the police commissioner and seeking accountability for the attack on Ajaero. While Governor Hope Uzodimma, who is seeking re-election, denied involvement in the assault on the labour leader, Organized Labour also demanded the arrest and prosecution of some of the governor’s aides and thereafter threatened a nationwide industrial strike if their demands were not met. In response to mounting pressure, the Inspector General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, redeployed Commissioner Barde, citing the need for neutrality in the lead-up to the Imo State governorship election scheduled for November 11, 2023.

NLC, TUC Issue Strike Notice Following Attack On Joe Ajaero

Recent Attack On Joe Ajaero Violates His Human Rights- NASU

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress of Nigeria (TUC) have issued a strike notice to the Federal Government, set for November 8. This is in response to an attack on NLC President Joe Ajaero and other union leaders in Imo State on Wednesday. In a joint statement released on Friday, the unions presented a six-point demand to the government.  These demands include the immediate removal of the Commissioner of Police, Imo State, and the Area Commander, as well as other officials allegedly involved in the attack. Furthermore, the unions have called for the immediate arrest and prosecution of all individuals responsible for the attack, along with compensation for the victims. They have also demanded a public apology from the Imo State Government and the Inspector-General of Police. Additionally, the unions seek assurances that such an attack will not recur in the future. If the government fails to meet these demands within the next five days, the unions have warned that they will proceed with a nationwide strike.