Iran begins poll for presidential election

Polls in Iran opened on Friday for a presidential election following the death of ultraconservative president Ebrahim Raisi in a helicopter crash last month. Around 61 million Iranians are eligible to vote in the polls where reformist Masoud Pezeshkian, 69, hopes for a breakthrough win against a divided conservative camp. The Guardian Council, which vets candidates, allowed him to run against a field of conservatives now dominated by parliamentary speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf and former nuclear negotiator Saeed Jalili. Also left in contention is cleric Mostafa Pourmohammadi after two ultraconservatives dropped out — Tehran major Alireza Zakani and Raisi’s former vice president Amir-Hossein Ghazizadeh Hashemi. “We start the elections” for the country’s 14th presidential ballot, Interior Minister Ahmad Vahidi said in a televised address. Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei cast his ballot shortly after the polls opened and urged Iranians to vote. “Election day is a day of joy and happiness for us Iranians,” he said in a televised speech where he also called for a high turnout. “We encourage our dear people to take the issue of voting seriously and participate,” he said. The election in sanctions-hit Iran comes at a time of high regional tensions between the Islamic Republic and its arch-foes Israel and the United States as the Gaza war rages on. Polls opened at 8:00 am (0430 GMT) in 58,640 stations across the country, mostly in schools and mosques. Polling stations will be open for 10 hours, though authorities could extend voting time as in previous elections. Early projections of the results are expected by Saturday morning and official results by Sunday. If no candidate wins 50 per cent of the vote, a second round will be held on July 5, for only the second time in Iranian electoral history after the 2005 vote went to a runoff. The candidacy of Pezeshkian, until recently a relative unknown, has revived cautious hopes for Iran’s reformist wing after years of dominance by the conservative and ultraconservative camps. Iran’s last reformist president, Mohammad Khatami, praised him as “honest, fair and caring”. Khatami, who served from 1997 to 2005, had also endorsed the moderate Hassan Rouhani, who won the presidency and sealed Iran’s nuclear deal in 2015 with Western powers before it was derailed three years later. The Iranian opposition, particularly in the diaspora, has called for a boycott of the vote. Ultimate political power in Iran is held by Khamenei, the supreme leader. Khamenei insisted this week that “the most qualified candidate” must be “the one who truly believes in the principles of the Islamic Revolution” of 1979 that overthrew the US-backed monarchy. The next president, he said, must allow Iran “to move forward without being dependent on foreign countries”.

Hardship: Why Nigerian govt needs to reopen borders – FCCPC

The Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (FCCPC) has appealed to the Federal Government to reopen the country’s borders to allow for legitimate importation of food items to combat hunger among Nigerians. The commission said that reopening borders would facilitate food importation, while stabilizing market prices. It made the call during an advocacy meeting with traditional rulers and other stakeholders held at the Emir’s palace in Bauchi. Acting Executive Chairman of the Commission, Adamu Abdullahi, highlighted the FCCPC’s ongoing efforts in advocacy and public awareness regarding price gouging and other unfair trade practices in Nigerian markets. Abdullahi explained that the Commission’s visit aimed to sensitize stakeholders on their rights and help them identify counterfeit products and proper channels for lodging complaints. “As mediators, we ensure that substandard products are repaired, replaced, or refunded to the consumer if they are unsatisfied with their purchase,” Abdullahi stated. He expressed concern about escalating commodity prices due to the recent appreciation of the naira against the dollar, calling the situation unacceptable. “The FCCPC remains dedicated to promoting fair competition, protecting consumers, and fostering a regulated marketplace. We encourage citizens to be vigilant and actively report any violations,” he added. Responding, the Emir of Bauchi, Rilwanu Sulaiman Adamu, expressed concern over the rising prices in markets, particularly for food items, which he noted are causing hardship for citizens. Represented by the District Head of Lame, Alhaji Yakubu Aliyu Lame, the Emir urged the Federal Government to take urgent action to reduce food prices, stressing the suffering of ordinary Nigerians. Rilwanu Sulaiman Adamu assured that the traditional institution in the state is ready to help raise public awareness about the commission’s activities to ensure the message reaches the targeted audience.

Shettima presides over NEC meeting 

Vice President Kashim Shettima is currently presiding over the 142nd National Economic Council, NEC, meeting at the Council Chamber, Presidential Villa, Abuja. The council meeting is being attended by some members of President Bola Tinubu’s economic team in attendance. NEC is a statutory body mandated to advise the President on the nation’s economic affairs and it is comprised of the Vice President, Governors of the 36 states of the federation, the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, the Minister of Finance, and other stakeholders. The meeting is coming at a time when the populace, especially the workforce, awaits government’s decision on a new national minimum wage discuss. The NEC meeting is expected to create an official interface for both the federal government and the sub-nationals, especially as the last Federal Executive Council, FEC meeting which held on Tuesday, decided to step down discussions on the minimum wage down until President Tinubu consults with other parties in the new pay discuss. Among those present at the ongoing NEC meeting are governors, Usman Ododo (Kogi), Uba Sani (Kaduna), Lawal Dauda (Zamfara), Charles Soludo (Anambra), Seyi Makinde, (Oyo), Lucky Ayedatiwa, (Ondo). Others are Abdullahi Sule, (Nasarawa), AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq (Kwara), Caleb Mutfwang, (Plateau), Hope Uzodimma (Imo), Biodun Oyebanji, (Ekiti), Muhammed Inuwa Yahaya, (Gombe), Peter Mbah, (Enugu), Francis Nwifuru (Ebonyi), Dapo Abiodun, (Ogun), Umar Radda, (Katsina), Abba Yusuf (Kano), Umar Namadi, (Jigawa) and Umar Bago, (Niger). States being represented by their deputy governors include Lagos, Rivers, Borno, Adamawa, and Yobe

Atiku Departs Nigeria 

The 2023 presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Atiku Abubakar, departed Abuja for Europe on Wednesday. The former Vice President has faced significant criticism for often leaving Nigeria soon after each election. In contrast to the post-2015 and 2019 elections, Atiku stayed in the country for several months following the 2023 election. During this time, he engaged in party activities and consultations that many believe are in preparation for the 2027 elections. Atiku’s Media Adviser, Paul Ibe, stated on Wednesday that the former Vice President had gone on a brief foreign business trip accompanied by family members, friends, and associates. The statement read in part, “Nigeria’s leading opposition figure and former presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Atiku Abubakar, has embarked on a business trip to Europe. “The former Vice President departed from the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja at 11 AM on Wednesday, the 26th of June, 2024, for his first port of call. “He was accompanied to the airport by family members, friends, and associates. “This morning, His Excellency Atiku Abubakar proceeded on a short foreign business trip. He will be back in the country soon.

NLC Committee Storms Headquarters, Demands Abure’s Resignation

Members of the Nigeria Labour Congress national transition committee, on Tuesday, stormed the headquarters of the Labour Party in Abuja, demanding the immediate resignation of the National Chairman, Julius Abure. The Acting Chairman of the transition committee, Aduwaheed Omar, led members of the labour union to the secretariat, chanting solidarity songs and calling for the resignation of Abure on grounds that his tenure as the chairman of the party had expired. Our correspondent at the scene of the protest noted, that when the officials arrived at the Party’s headquarters, the gates were immediately shut by security officials. However, in an attempt to force their way into the premises, the police fired teargas to dispatch the protesters. Protesters were later heard shouting endlessly at the security men to “open the gate”.

Explosion rocks Port Harcourt

There was pandemonium in Port Harcourt on Tuesday as a middle-aged protester carrying dynamite got killed while trying to discharge an explosive. The incident happened in front of Hotel Presidential at about 9.45am on Tuesday.  According to an eyewitness account, the corpse of the victim was taken away hurriedly as security agents trooped to the location where the incident occured.    Another eyewitness, who spoke under condition of anonymity, said that the protesters caused heavy traffic while on procession to their destination.

Protest Breaks Out In Rivers Amid Crisis, Airport Blocked

Women from the IPO community in Rivers State have staged a blockade at Port Harcourt airport, leading to significant disruptions and leaving passengers stranded amidst the state’s escalating political tensions. As of Tuesday morning, the women were actively preventing vehicles from entering the airport, causing a long queue of cars carrying passengers. Some of the women were seen at the entrance with cooking utensils, firewood, and ingredients, engaging in food preparation activities. While the women had not communicated with the media at the time of this report, they were heard engaging in loud discussions among themselves. Earlier, the Rivers State Police Command had issued a warning regarding a planned protest by the Nigeria Union of Local Government Employees (NULGE). Police spokesperson Grace Iringe-Koko stated, “The Rivers State Police Command has been informed about the scheduled protest by the Nigeria Union of Local Government Employees (NULGE) on June 24, 2024. While we respect the right to peaceful assembly, we have credible information suggesting potential infiltration by troublemakers aiming to cause disruption and chaos within the state.” She added, “Therefore, we strongly advise organizers to postpone the protest to prevent any potential breach of peace. The police will take all necessary lawful actions to safeguard lives and property in Rivers State. Any individual or group attempting to disrupt peace will be apprehended and prosecuted.” In response to the security concerns raised by the police, Rivers State Commissioner of Police, CP Olatunji Disu, has deployed officers to the headquarters of all 23 Local Government Areas in the state. “These officers will remain stationed there until the threat to peace is deemed to have subsided,” the statement concluded. Following the police advisory, NULGE subsequently called off their planned protest.

Court Adjourns Hearing In Case Against Emir Bayero, See New Date

A Kano State High Court has adjourned the hearing of a case filed by the Kano State Government seeking to restrain the 15th Emir of Kano, Alhaji Aminu Ado Bayero and four other emirs from parading themselves as emirs to July 2, 2024. Presiding over the case, Justice Amina Adamu Aliyu listened to arguments from both sides before deciding on the adjournment. Counsel to Ado Bayero, Barr. Ibrahim Muktar, and the counsel representing the Attorney General of Kano State, the Speaker of the Kano State House of Assembly, and the House of Assembly itself, Barr. Ibrahim Isah-Wangida, also presented their cases before the court. The court was initially set to address a motion on notice filed by the plaintiffs, concerning an interlocutory injunction following an interim order granted by the court, however, the first defendant had served the plaintiffs with a counter-affidavit, necessitating a response. The respondents in the case include Emir Aminu Ado Bayero, Emir Nasiru Ado Bayero of Bichi, Dr. Ibrahim Abubakar II of Karaye, Emir Kabiru Muhammad-Inuwa of Rano, and Emir Aliyu Ibrahim-Gaya of Gaya. Other respondents include the Inspector General of Police (IGP), the Director of the Department of State Services (DSS), the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), and the Nigerian Army. The case was previously slated for hearing on June 11, 2024. However, Mr. Abdulsalam Saleh, counsel to the IGP, informed the court that attempts to serve the first to fifth respondents had failed due to a Federal High Court order preventing harassment and intimidation. As a result, the counsel for the applicants, Eyitayo Fatogun (SAN), requested another date to complete the necessary applications for service on the respondents. Justice Aliyu directed that the emirs be served through the office of the Kano State Commissioner of Police and adjourned the matter to June 24, 2024, for hearing the motion on notice. During Monday’s proceedings, Barrister Abdulrazak Ahmad confirmed that Bayero had been served and requested the court to dismiss the suit, arguing that the Kano State High Court lacks jurisdiction over the case. Contrarily, Barr. Ibrahim Isah-Wangida, representing the government, maintained that the court has jurisdiction and requested the court to hear the case in its entirety, including the originating summons. Justice Aliyu subsequently adjourned the case to July 2, 2024, to consider the pleas from both sides and continue the hearing of the case filed by the Kano State Government.

2027: Northern Politicians Who Visited Buhari Plotting To Unseat Tinubu – Shehu Sani

Shehu Sani, a civil rights activist and social critic, has described the recent meeting of Northern politicians with former President Muhammadu Buhari as a strategic move to unseat President Bola Tinubu in 2027. The ex-president played host to former Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on Sunday, less than 24 hours after ex-Vice President Atiku Abubakar paid a similar visit to him at his residence in Daura, Katsina State. Like Atiku, El-Rufai is not on the same page with the All Progressives Congress (APC) at his home state of Kaduna and at the federal level. Reacting, Sani, who represented Kaduna Central in the 8th National Assembly, described the move as an effort to regroup Northern political forces for the next general election, predicting that it would ultimately fail. In a post via Facebook on Monday, he criticized the attempt to revive Buhari’s political influence and mobilize support, cautioning against stirring Arewa sentiment without regard for the potential chaos it could cause. He wrote: “The recent visits by some prominent Northern politicians to Daura appears to be the Usual Eid homage, but looking deeper and beyond the facade, it’s surreptitiously a new attempt to build a strong northern alliance using ex President Buhari as a rallying point to challenge and evict President Tinubu’s Government in 2027. “It’s a regrouping of Northern political forces for the next general election.A project that will eventually kiss the dust. They want to resurrect Buhari’s political charm, fanaticism and mobilise the gullible to another hollow and bewildering end. They want to stock up and light up the Arewa sentiment without considering the inferno it would eventually generate. “The same Buhari that led Nigeria for eight years and left the North Worst than he met it. It’s too early to forget. By the time he left power, poverty and insecurity was at its peak than at anytime in Nigeria’s history. They had power and wasted it; what do they want to do with it again?. “A Southerner is in power just for one year. It’s too early for the desperate and power hungry northern elite to start plotting. The south never did that to Buhari. Their intended action has the capacity of ruining the democratic process and wrecking the fragile unity of the country when the south is awakened to this reality. “Their obsession with power is condemnable. Opposition to Tinubu from the point of policies, promises and programs of his administration is a democratic right of any Nigerian. People have the right to speak and criticize the Government. “But attempts to whip up Northern sentiments to achieve their political ends is a dangerous political experiment and expedition at this material time. No serious southerner challenged Buhari for eight years;these power drunk Northern politicians are dragging the region to a new political journey through a land mine. “Buhari’s reign ensured nepotistical placement, installation and dominance of Northerners at strategic positions of authority and power for eight years. Results had shown that they only enriched themselves, pillaged the economy of the country and pauperised our country. “The Daura homage of the disgruntled and the obsessed will fail. Our people in the North should reject these faces and their plots. They have nothing to offer. From the abandoned Baro Port, Ajaokuta, Lake Chad basin refiling and Mambilla hydro power, they failed. They came to power when the North was in the hands of terrorists and left it in the joint hands of terrorists and Bandits. The Northern Talakawa should reject their antics.”

El-Rufai visits Buhari

Barely 24 hours after the visit of former Vice President of Nigeria, Alhaji Abubakr Atiku, Malam Nasir El Rufai, the immediate past Governor of Kaduna state has also been spotted at Daura on a visit to former President Muhammadu Buhari. While the visit is fueling speculations about potential political maneuvers ahead of the 2027 general elections in some quarters, some also think that it may have a thing or two to do with the emirate tussle in Kano as el Rufai’s bosom friend, Muhammdu Sanusi II locks horns with his cousin, Aminu Ado Bayero over Emirship of Kano. It will be recalled that Malam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi was dethroned and banished from Kano by former Kano State Governor Abdulahi Ganduje under circumstances in which many observers speculated had the tacit approval of President Muhammadu Buhari in 2020. Analysts who hold this opinion insist that since those opposed to Sanusi’s reinstatement are the heavy lifters in the current Federal Government and loyalists of former President Buhari, it will make sense for the former governor to appeal to President Buhari for his intervention. There is also the 2027 connection that the reinstatement of Sanusi will augur well for the emergence of a northern president in 2027 if Sanusi is returned as Emir of Kano as opposed to Aminu Bayero who may likely side with Dr. Ganduje and his co-travelers.