Enugu Rerun-Election: Labour Party Calls For Cancellation

The Labour Party, LP, has described the House of Representatives re-run election in Igbo-Eze/Udenu federal constituency, Enugu State, as a sham and called for a total cancellation of the exercise. The national secretary of the party, Umar Farouk, who led its monitoring team to polling stations involved in the by-elections on Saturday, told journalists that due process was not followed. He said that accreditation was compromised, result sheets were hijacked, and BVAS machines were disregarded while voters were not allowed to exercise their right to vote. The LP national secretary, who addressed the press in the company of the party’s House of Representatives candidate, Dennis Agbo, called on the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, to immediately cancel elections in areas where illegalities have been reported. In his comments, Dennis Agbo also called for the immediate and total cancellation of the supplementary election. He accused the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, of using the local government vigilante to intimidate LP supporters. Agbo said LP members were chased away from polling booths by the local vigilantes and further alleged that INEC officials took instructions from PDP officials and allowed voting to take place in private houses.
Macky Sall Postpones Senegal Presidential Election

Macky Sall, president of Senegal, has announced a postponement of the February 25 presidential election. Sall made the announcement on Saturday during a national broadcast wherein he also called for dialogue with stakeholders. “I will initiate an open national dialogue to bring together the conditions for a free, transparent and inclusive election in a peaceful and reconciled Senegal,” Sall said. Sall has been president of Senegal since 2012 and recently announced that he would not be seeking a third term. The Senegalese 2021 constitution only allows a president to serve for five years and is limited to two terms. The president, who had previously hinted at a third term as granted by the constitutional council, recently decided to step down and announced Amadou Ba, prime minister, as his preferred successor. He reiterated on Saturday that he would not be seeking a third term. “As for me, my solemn commitment not to run for the presidential election remains unchanged,” Sall said. Some civil society organisations had expressed concerns on issues relating to the electoral process.
Lagos by-election: Fashola inexplicably absent at polling unit

A former governor of Lagos State, Mr Babatunde Fashola (SAN), was inexplicably absent at his polling unit, to vote for his party’s (APC) candidate for the Surulere 1 House of Representatives. Fashola, who was expected at the polling unit with the wife, Mrs Abimbola Fashola, was not seen throughout the election. Journalists, who waited for the former Minister of Power, Works and Housing, from 8.a.m. when the election started, left for other places after hours of waiting, while some stayed till the end on the possibility of him coming. One of the party members who pleaded anonymity said that the former governor was actually expected to come around to exercise his franchise. ”We actually expected him but along the line it was clear that he will not be coming again. I heard that he is not in town,” the party member said. The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that voting for the Surulere Federal Constituency 1 in Polling Unit 002, at State Junior Grammar School (Special), Itolo Street, Eric Moore, Surulere, started at 8.00 a.m, as INEC agents arrived on time to set up the unit. The unit, which is the venue where Fashola was expected to cast his vote, saw voters trickling in. The unit which had 750 registered voters, recorded only 45 voters who came to exercise their franchise.
Governor Aiyedatiwa Appoints Commissioners, Special Advisers

Ondo State Governor, Hon. Lucky Orimisan Aiyedatiwa, has forwarded to the State House of Assembly for screening and confirmation the names of six Commissioner-nominees. This was revealed in a statement signed by the Chief press secretary to the governor on Friday, Prince Ebenezer Adeniyan. The nominees are: 1. Mrs. Omowumi Isaac, ACCA 2. Mr. Olukayode A. Ajulo, SAN, OON 3. Engr. Razaq Obe 4. Pastor Emmanuel Igbasan 5. Barrister Akinwumi Sowore 6. Mr. Oseni Oyeniyi The Governor has also appointed the following individuals as Special Advisers: 1. Hon. Olugbenga Omole, Special Adviser on Information & Strategy 2. Mrs. Olamide Falana, Special Adviser on Gender Affairs 3. Mr. Alabi Johnson, Special Adviser on Energy.
Court refuses to stop terrorism charges against Fubara’s 5 loyalists

The Federal High Court Abuja Friday, refused to grant the request of the five loyalists of Governor Siminalayi Fubara of Rivers State to stop the Inspector General of Police IGP from proceeding with their prosecution on terrorism offences. They are before the court seeking to stop the IGP on the ground that they can only be put on trial on terrorism charges by the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice. Justice Mobolaji Olajuwon in a ruling on their preliminary objections raised against the IGP held that the defendants were wrong in their claims that only the AGF can put them on trial. Justice Olajuwon said that the law especially sections 3, 63 and 74 of Terrorism Prevention Act were clear to the effect that while the AGF has Constitutional.power to strengthen the terrorism prevention law, the same sections did not confer the exclusive rights to prosecute on the AGF. The Judge said that while section 5 of the Terrorism Prevention Act confers responsibility of gathering intelligence and investigation on police, the same section donated rights to Police to initiate criminal charges in a competent court of jurisdiction. Specifically, Justice Olajuwon held that while the AGF under section 174 of the 1999 Constitution can lawfully take over, continue or terminate any initiated criminal charges, such right did not make trial an exclusive rights of the AGF. “From the cursory look at all the authorities cited by lawyers for and against the IGP rights to initiate the instant criminal proceedings, one thing is clear and clearly too, that police can rightly initiate criminal charges including terrorism charges”. The Judge said that the preliminary objections to the trial by the defendants was incompetent, lacking in merit and subsequently dismissed them. The five defendants charged with terrorism offences are Chime Eguma Ezebalike, Prince Lukman Oladele, Kenneth Goodluck Kpasa, Osiga Donald and Ochueja Thankgod. Meanwhile, Justice Olajuwon has fixed Monday, February 5 for ruling in their respective bail applications. The Judge fixed the date after taking arguments from lawyers from police led by Simon Lough, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria and Lukman Fagbemi SAN who stood for the 1st and 2nd defendants in the matter among others. Justice Olajuwon ordered that the five defendants be returned to Kuje Prison in Abuja pending the decision of the Court to allow them on bail or not. The five defendants are accused of committing the alleged terrorism offences during the wake of political upheaval that rocked Port Harcourt in October last year. In the charges against them marked FHC/ABJ/CR/25/2024, the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Kayode Egbetokun is named as the complainant. Apart from allegedly burning down the State House of Assembly, some of them were said to have killed a Superintendent of Police, (SP) Bako Agbashim and five police informants at Ahoada community of the state. The police informants said to have been killed are Charles Osu, Ogbonna Eja, Idaowuka Felix, Paul Victor Chibuogu and Saturday Edi. They were also accused of using various cult groups, namely- Supreme Viking Confraternity, Degbam, Iceland and Greenland to unleash mayhem on the people of the state and their commercial activities. Specifically, they are alleged to have on October 29, 2023 at Moscow Road in Port Harcourt conspired to commit acts of terrorism by wilful destruction of public properties by invading, attacking, destroying and burning of the Rivers State House of Assembly, an offence punishable under section 26 of the Terrorism Prevention and Prohibition Act 2022. Part of the charges read, “That you, Chime Eguma Ezebalike, 37 years, business man of Street 5, Radio Estate Ozuoba, Port Harcourt, Prince Lukman Oladele, 47 years of Okocha Street, Port Harcourt, Kenneth Goodluck Kpasa, Hon Edison Ehie and others now at large on 29th of October 2023 at Moscow Road in Port Harcourt, while acting in concert conspired together to commit felony to wit: acts of terrorism by wilful destruction of public properties by invading, attacking, destroying and burning of the Rivers State House of Assembly and you thereby committed an offence punishable under section 26 (1) of the Terrorism Prevention and Prohibition Act 2022. “That you Chime Eguma Ezebalike, 37 years, business man of Street 5, Radio Estate Ozuoba, Port Harcourt, Prince Lukman Oladele, 47 years of Okocha Street, Port Harcourt, Kenneth Goodluck Kpasa, Hon Edison Ehie and others now at large on 29th of October 2023 at Moscow Road in Port Harcourt, while acting in concert and armed with dynamite, iron rods, lighters and other offensive weapons willfully and maliciously invaded, attacked and set fire on the Rivers State House of Assembly Complex and you thereby committed an offence punishable under section 1 of the Miscellaneous Offences Act, Cap M17 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004.
Insecurity: Akpabio Begs Germany To Halt Deportation Of 12,000 Nigerians

President of the Senate, Senator Godswill Akpabio, has appealed to the German government to reconsider its decision to deport approximately 12,000 illegal migrants to Nigeria. The Senator expressed concern that such a move could exacerbate existing security challenges in the country. During a courtesy visit by the German Ambassador to Nigeria, Annette Gunther, Senator Akpabio emphasized the need for collaboration between Nigeria and Germany, citing the countries’ significant roles in their respective continents. “Nigeria is Germany’s second largest trading partner in sub-Saharan Africa,” said Ambassador Gunther, highlighting the economic ties between the two nations. Senator Akpabio underscored Nigeria’s current struggle with insecurity and called for a joint effort with Germany in areas such as security and power to foster socio-political development. Expressing concern about the potential security implications, the Senate President urged Germany to reconsider the deportation, stating, “Dumping 12,000 illegal immigrants in Nigeria would lead to the escalation of insecurity in the country.” Akpabio also called for Germany’s assistance in distinguishing genuine Nigerian immigrants among the group, given the challenges posed by individuals falsely claiming Nigerian identity due to crises in other African countries. The Senate President stressed the importance of international cooperation in addressing security concerns and urged Germany to support Nigeria in its fight against insecurity while fostering economic development.
Vice President Shettima Is Bereaved!

The Vice President, Sen. Kashim Shettima, has lost his step mother, Hauwa Kormi, in the early hours of Thursday. The Spokesman of the Vice-President, Stanley Nkwocha, announced this in a statement on Thursday in Abuja. He said that Mrs Kormi who died after a prolonged illness at the age of 69, is survived by five children, many step children and grandchildren. He disclosed that the Janaiza (burial) is scheduled for 4pm today (Thursday) at Shettimari, Lawan Bukar, Maiduguri, Borno State. “May the Almighty Allah forgive her shortcomings and admit her to Jannatul Firdaus, amen.”
PDP Gets New Women Leader

Amina Arong has emerged National Women Leader of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). Her appointment is coming after the death of the former leader, Prof. Stella Effah-Attoe Stella died on October 29, 2023. National Publicity Secretary of the Party, Debo Ologunagba described Arong as a prominent women mobilizer. He expressed confidence that she would bring on board her intellectual capacity as well as experience as a women leader. Arong is from Cross River. She holds a Diploma in Banking and Finance and a B.Sc. in Accounting. “The PDP congratulates and tasks the new national women leader to deploy her capacity and experience in working with other members of the National Working Committee for the continuing stability, growth and success of our great Party”, the statement added.
State of the economy and free fall of the Naira : Senate Summons CBN Gov

The Senate on Wednesday summoned the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria ( CBN) , Olayemi Cardoso , to appear before it on Tuesday next week to profer solutions to the parlous state of the economy and the free fall of the Naira at the forex market. The Senate Summon was made by its Committee on Banking , Insurance, and other Financial Institutions, Chaired by Senator Adetokunbo Abiru (APC Lagos East). The committee hurriedly met on Wednesday when Naira plummeted to N1,520 to a US dollar and resolved to summon the CBN governor on a way out of the foreign exchange quagmire. Speaking with journalists after the hurried meeting held behind closed door, Senator Abiru said the state of the economy, especially the spiraling inflationary trend was of great concern to the lawmakers. He said “We have held a meeting this afternoon essentially to focus on the direction of the Nigerian economy . “We are all living witnesses of what is going on. Underlining the major issue of the economy is the way the inflation index has been, and of course, it is a major concern to us . “We have deliberated among ourselves. Critical issues were addressed, and we believe that the next line of action is to summon the governor of the Central Bank on Tuesday at 3 O’clock to brief us properly on the state of the economy. “That we have resolved and will communicate to the governor of the Central Bank after which we will have further communication with members of the press’
Court Orders Arrest of Fubara’s Chief of Staff, 5 others over alleged terrorism, killing of DPO

A Federal High Court Abuja, Wednesday, issued a warrant for the arrest of the Chief of Staff (CoS) to the Rivers State Governor, Hon Edison Ehie, over his alleged involvement in the burning of the State House of Assembly. Ehie who is the immediate past factional Speaker of Rivers State House of Assembly, was ordered to be arrested along with five other persons based in Port Harcourt for allegedly participating in some criminal activities. Those ordered to be arrested alongside the former factional Speaker are Jinjiri Bala, Happy Benedict, Progress Joseph, Adokiye Oyagiri and Chibuike Peter also known as Rambo. Justice Emeka Nwite granted order on Wednesday for their arrest while delivering ruling in an ex-parte application brought before him by the Inspector General of Police IGP. The ex-parte application was predicated on sections 37, 113, 114, 84 and 184 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA) 2015 and section 35 of the 1999 Constitution as well as 32 of the Police Act 2020. In the ex-parte application argued by a Senior Advocate of Nigeria SAN and Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP), Simon Lough, the six defendants were said to be at large. The senior lawyer submitted that the defendants are involved in conspiracy, arson, terrorism, attempted murder and murder of a Superintendent of Police SP Bako Agbashim and five other police informants. The five police informants they are alleged to have killed are Charles Osu, Ogbonna Eja, Idaowuka Felix, Paul Victor Chibuogu and Saturday Edi. Justice Nwite granted the request of the IGP to declare the defendants wanted and upon their arrest and investigation, bring them before the court for trial. The ex-parte application is marked FHC/ABJ/ CS/12/2024 It will be recalled that the IGP had two weeks ago put five Port Harcourt-based person’s on trial on terrorism charges and were remanded at Kuje Prison upon their arraignment. They were ordered to remain in prison custody till February 2 when their respective bail applications would be determined by the Judge. The five defendants are Chime Eguma Ezebalike, Prince Lukman Oladele, Kenneth Goodluck Kpasa, Osiga Donald and Ochueja Thankgod. In the 7-count charges, the defendants were accused of committing alleged terrorism offences by invading, vandalizing and burning down Rivers State House of Assembly during the wake of political crisis that rocked Port Harcourt in October last year. Justice Mobolaji Olajuwon ordered their remand at the Kuje Prison.