EFCC hands over recovered assets to Enugu governor

The Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Ola Olukoyede, on Wednesday, handed over 14 recovered assets to Governor Peter Mba of Enugu State. During the handing over ceremony held at the EFCC Headquarters, Jabi, Abuja, Olukoyede revealed that the assets recovered by the commission was forfeited to the Federal Government. He added that the EFCC began an investigation into the development since 2007, and had achieved the conviction of persons in relation to the matter. He also noted that the President, Bola Tinubu, ordered the handover of the assets which includes – real estate, radio and television transmission equipment, and medical facility, amongst others, to the Enugu State Government, following a request by the EFCC.

Wike’s loyalist rejects Fubara’s redeployment, resigns as Rivers commissioner

The Rivers State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Prof. Zaccaeus Adangor, SAN has rejected his redeployment to the Ministry of Special Duties (Governor’s Office), and consequently resigned from the State Executive Council. Adangor’s resignation came barely 24 hours after the state Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, redeployed him in a minor cabinet reshuffle on Tuesday. Fubara, in a letter issued on Tuesday by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr Tammy Danagogo, redeployed Adangor alongside the State Commissioner for Finance, Isaac Kamalu, who himself was moved to the Ministry of Employment Generation and Economic Empowerment Adangor and Kamalu, as well as seven other commissioners who had previously resigned from Fubara’s cabinet in the heat of the political crisis that rocked the state, are loyalists of the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike. Adangor’s resignation was contained in a letter he personally signed, dated April 24 and addressed to the SSG on Wednesday and obtained by our correspondent. The letter was titled, “Cabinet Reshufflement: Notice of Rejection of Deployment and Resignation from the Rivers State Executive Council.” Adangor accused Fubara of willfully interfering with the performance of his duties as Commissioner. He further said the governor had in the last few weeks directed him not to defend, oppose, or appear in suits instituted against his office and the Government of Rivers State by persons admittedly hired and sponsored by the Government of Rivers State. The six-point letter reads, “My attention has been drawn to your letter dated April 23, 2024, and widely circulated on social media whereby I was “deployed to the ministry of special duties (governor’s office). I hereby give you notice of my rejection of the said deployment and resignation from the Rivers State Executive Council with effect from the 24th day of April 2024. “I wish to state for the record that I am no longer willing to continue to serve in the administration of His Excellency, Siminalayi Fubara, Governor of Rivers State, in any capacity whatsoever. “It is important to mention that the Governor of Rivers State had in the past couple of weeks willfully interfered with the performance of my duties as the Honourable Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Rivers State, by directing me not to defend, oppose, or appear in suits instituted against the Honourable Attorney-General and the Government of Rivers State by persons admittedly hired and sponsored by the Government of Rivers State. “Having served the Government and good people of Rivers State dutifully as a member of the Rivers State Executive Council for the past five years, it has become imperative for me to quit the administration in order to preserve my reputation. “I wish the administration of His Excellency well.”

IG Egbetokun Denies saying Nigeria Not Mature For State Police

The Assistant Inspector General of Police in charge of Information and Communications Technology (ICT), Ben Okolo, has said his comments at the National Dialogue on State Police in Abuja on Monday were his personal views. Okolo, who had expressively said that he was representing the Inspector General of Police (IGP) Kayode Egbetokun at the event, said the country is not mature enough for state police despite Nigeria’s myriad of security challenges. He had also suggested that the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) to become departments under the Force. Following this development, his comments angered many Nigerians, who said the rising insecurity in the country demands urgent attention. Speaking at a briefing at the Force Headquarters on Tuesday, Okolo retracted his comments and clarified some points. The police officer said his statement that “Nigeria is not ready for a decentralised police force” was a personal view and did not reflect the stance of the police force. According to Okolo, the comments were not that of the IGP and the Nigeria Police Force, adding that the position of the Force will soon be made known.

Fubara Reshuffles Rivers State Cabinet

N200bn supplementary budget scales first reading in Rivers Assembly

The Governor of Rivers State, Siminalayi Fubara, has reshuffled his cabinet. The move was made public in a statement released on Tuesday evening by the Secretary to the Rivers State Government, Tammy Danagogo. The reshuffling of the cabinet is in response to the ongoing political turmoil in the State. Fubara, in the statement, ordered the Commissioner for Justice and Attorney-General of the state, Prof. Zacchaeus Adangor, to move to the Ministry of Special Duties within the Governor’s Office. Isaac Kamalu, who previously served as the Commissioner for Finance, has been reassigned to the Ministry of Employment Generation and Economic Empowerment.

Former Imo Gov, Ihedioha resigns from PDP

Former Imo State governor, Emeka Ihedioha, has tendered his resignation to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), citing a misalignment between his personal beliefs and the current trajectory of the party. In a resignation letter addressed to the chairman of his constituency, Mbutu Ward, Aboh Mbaise Local Government Area of Imo State, Ihedioha expressed his dedication to the advancement of democracy and good governance in Nigeria despite his decision to step away from the party. Having been a member of the PDP since its inception in 1998, Ihedioha highlighted his contributions to the growth and evolution of the party, noting its historical commitment to internal reforms and providing credible leadership both in and out of power. However, Ihedioha lamented recent developments within the party, stating that it has deviated from its core principles. He voiced concerns over the party’s inability to enact internal reforms, uphold its own regulations, and effectively oppose the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC). The letter reads, “Since 1998, I have contributed my quota to the development and transformation of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) as one of the founding members. All these years, I have taken pride in the fact that the PDP is a party that will always look inward for internal reforms and provide credible leadership for the people, whether in power or outside power. I have had the benefit of serving and benefiting from the party at various levels. “Regrettably, in recent times, the party has taken on a path that is at variance with my personal beliefs. Despite my attempt to offer counsel, the party is, sadly, no longer able to carry out internal reforms, enforce its own rules or offer credible opposition to the ruling All Progressives Congress.’ “It is in the light of the foregoing, that I am compelled to offer my resignation from the People’s Democratic Party effective immediately. While the decision was difficult to take, I, however, believe that it is the right one. Despite this resignation, I will always be available to offer my services towards the deepening of democracy and good governance in Nigeria.”

Peter Obi and I never believed in Labour Party ideologies — Doyin Okupe

Former director-general of the Labour Party Presidential Campaign Council, DDr. Doyin Okupe has said that he and the party’s presidential candidate in the 2023 general election, Peter Obi, never believed in the ideologies of the party. Okupe made the claim during an interview on Arise Television. He said the Labour Party was just a special purpose vehicle for the presidential election. In January, Okupe resigned his membership of the Labour Party, citing ideological differences. He said his membership of the party ended the moment Obi lost the election. “The LP for us — for Peter Obi and I — and those in the leadership of the movement, the party was a special purpose vehicle. “I have never been a Labour person, I have never operated on the left before but we needed a platform and this was the only platform readily available to us. “We thought that if we won the election, there are no fast and hard rules about ideologies. You can always find a shade between the left and the right. You can always move to the centre. “We were hoping and praying that if we won we would find a way to come to some consensus with the Labour. “Peter Obi is not a Labour person. He is not a leftist person, he is a trader, he is a businessman just like me. I am a liberal democrat, I believe in liberal democracy, I believe in free enterprise,” he added.

CBN sells $10,000 to BDCs at N1,021 per dollar

The Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, has approved the sale of an additional 10,000 dollars to 1,583 eligible Bureaux De Change, BDC, operators in the country to meet the demands of the market. The CBN’s Director, Trade and Exchange Department, Dr Hassan Mahmud, made this known in a letter addressed to the President, Association of Bureau De Change Operators of Nigeria, ABCON, on Tuesday in Abuja. Mahmud said that the CBN would sell to the BDCs at the rate of N1,021 to a dollar. “The BDCs are, in turn, to sell to eligible end users at a spread of not more than 1.5 per cent above the purchase price,” he said. He directed all eligible BDCs to commence payment of Naira deposit to some designated CBN Naira deposit account numbers. “All BDCs are advised to continue to abide by the rules and conditions as stipulated in our earlier operational guidelines,” he added. Recall that on April 8, the apex bank approved the sale of 10,000 dollars to 1,588 eligible BDC operators at the rate of N1,101 to the dollar amid efforts to stabilize the Naira at the FX market. The development comes amid the recent drop in the value of the Naira against the dollar. From last month to date, the Naira has depreciated four times.

Alleged N84bn Fraud: Why Yahaya Bello refuses to appear in court, Lawyer

A governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello, has said he is ready to appear before the Federal High Court in Abuja to answer to the 19-count charge brought against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC. Bello, however, claims he is afraid of getting arrested. Although the former governor was not present for his arraignment on Tuesday, he briefed his team of lawyers who addressed the court. One of the lawyers in his legal team, Mr Adeola Adedipe, SAN, told the court that Bello would have made himself available for the proceedings, but was afraid that he would be arrested. “The defendant wants to come to court but he is afraid that there is an order of arrest hanging on his head,” Adedipe said. Consequently, he prayed the court to set aside the ex parte order of arrest it earlier issued against Bello. Adedipe noted that it was only at the resumed proceedings on Tuesday that the court okayed substituted service of the charge on the defendant, through his lawyer. “As at the time the warrant was issued, the order for substituted service had not been made. That order was just made this morning. “A warrant of arrest should not be hanging on his neck when we leave this court,” he added.

Naira Abuse: Bobrisky appeals against sentence

Controversial cross-dresser Idris Okuneye, A.K.A Bobrisky has approached the Appeal Court, challenging the six months sentence given to him by a Federal High Court sitting in Lagos. He pleaded guilty before Justice A.O. Awogboro of the court on a four counts charge bordering on naira abuse proffered on him by Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC). However, the court on April 12 sentenced Okuneye to six months imprisonment without an option of fine to serve as a deterrent to others fond of abusing and mutilating the naira. Not satisfied with the verdict handed to him, Okuneye, through his counsel, Mr Bimbo Kusanu, has approached Court of Appeal, praying it to set aside the sentence. Specifically, Bobrisky is asking the court to replace the sentence with an option of N50,000 fine on each of the counts. In the notice of appeal, he submitted that the trial court imposed the maximum sentence on the appellant, who had no previous criminal record of conviction. He stated that there were options to impose a lesser sentence by the provisions of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA). He averred that the sentence imposed by the trial court against the appellant was punitive and contrary to the mandatory provisions of the ACJA. The appellant stated that the trial court did not consider the positive antecedent of the appellant, who did not waste the time of the court by pleading guilty to the charge. He stated that the appellant honoured the invitation of the respondent on the first invitation. He said that the trial court failed to exercise its discretion judiciously and judicially in sentencing the appellant, explaining that such an act had occasioned a miscarriage of justice against his client.

Alleged N89.2b money laundering: Court to rule on service of charge on Yahaya Bello through lawyer

Justice Emeka Nwite will Tuesday, rule on the application whether the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) can serve court processes on former governor of Kogi state, Yahaya Bello, through his counsel. At the last adjourned date, EFCC’s counsel, Kemi Piniero SAN, urged the court to compel the ex-governor’s lawyer to accept service of the processes, explaining that it has been impossible to serve the charge sheet on him personally. Counsel to Yahaya, Abdul Wahab Mohammed, said he doesn’t have the authority of the defendant to accept service of the charges and proof of evidence. He insisted that the Abuja division of the court or the EFCC cannot arraign his client adding that his preliminary objection application has to be taken first, but the EFCC came behind him through a motion-exparte to obtain a warrant of arrest. Therefore, the court adjourned to reconvene Tuesday for ruling. The EFCC , Thursday, informed Justice Emeka Nwite about its intension to invite the Nigerian Army to effect the arrest of former governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Adoza Bello for arraignment before a Federal High Court sitting in Abuja. The anti-graft agency, through its legal team, issued the threat before the court after explaining how a person of immunity protected Bello from arrest following the court’s bench warrant. The court had fixed today(Thursday) for arraignment of Bello alongside the ex-governor’s nephew, Ali Bello, Dauda Suleiman and Abdulsalam Hudu on 19- count charges bordering on money laundering to the tune of N80, 246, 470, 088.88. When it was called up, Thursday, EFCC’s counsel, Kemi Piniero SAN, said in open court that the Commission was aware that Bello has been harboured in the home of a person that has immunity. He submitted that immunity is only attached to a person, not his house or car, adding that the law allows Nigerian security agencies to break into a house to arrest a defendant. He said, Some of the counts read: “That you, Yahaya Adoza Bello, Ali Bello, Dauda Suliman, and Abdulsalam Hudu( Still at large), sometime, in February, 2016, in Abuja within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court, conspired amongst yourselves to convert the total sum of N80, 246,470, 088.88 (Eighty Billion, Two Hundred and Forty Six Million, Four Hundred and Seventy Thousand and Eight Nine Naira, Eighty Eight Kobo), which sum you reasonably ought to have known forms part of the proceeds of your unlawful activity to wit, criminal breach of trust and you thereby committed an offence contrary to Section 18(a) and punishable under Section 15(3) of the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act, 2011 as amended”. “That you Yahaya Bello between 26th July 2021 to 6th April 2022 in Abuja within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court aided E-Traders International Limited to conceal the aggregate sum of N3, 081, 804,654.00 (Three Billion, Eighty One Million Eight Hundred and Four Thousand Six Hundred and Fifty Four Naira) in account number 1451458080 domiciled in Access BankPlc, which sum you reasonably ought to have known forms part of proceeds of unlawful activity to wit, criminal breach of trust and you thereby committed an offence contrary to Section 18(a), 15(2) (d) of the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act, 2011 as amended and punishable under Section 15 (3) of the same Act. “That you Yahaya Adoza Bello sometime in November 2021 in Abuja within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court indirectly procured E-Traders international Limited to transfer the aggregate sum of $570,330.00 (Five Hundred and Seventy Thousand, Three Hundred and Thirty Dollars) to account number 4266644272 domiciled in TD Bank, United States of America which sum you reasonably ought to have known forms part of proceeds of unlawful activity to wit, criminal breach of trust and you thereby committed an offence contrary to Section 15(2) (d) of the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act, 2011 as amended and punishable under Section 15( 3) of the same Act”. Bello’s arraignment followed a warrant of arrest and enrolment order granted the EFCC by Justice Emeka Nwite, Wednesday, in the motion ex-parte marked: FHC/ABJ/CR/98/2024 and filed by the EFCC lead counsel, Rotimi Oyedepo. The EFCC counsel argued that the ex-governor needs to be apprehended by security agencies so as to fast track his arraignment in court and immediate trial. The anti-graft agency maintained that the judge should either order Bello’s arrest or issue a public summons commanding the defendant to appear before the court.