Police in Adamawa appeals court judgment in a kidnap case

The Police Command in Adamawa is to appeal against the judgement of a Yola High Court directing it to release a defendant in a kidnap case and pay him N5m as damages for wrongful detention. The development was made known in Yola on Thursday in a statement by the command spokesman, SP Suleiman Nguroje. Nguroje said command is not satisfied with the judgment delivered on Wednesday Jan. 22 in favour of the defendant, Hammadu Musa. “The Command wishes to state categorically that the said defendant was arrested by Vigilante members for alleged kidnapping and handed over to the Police. READ ALSO: UNICEF says Katsina, Sokoto, Zamfara need $15m to give quality life “He was thereafter, investigated and having established a prima facie case against him, the Police charged him to Court. “The Casefile was duplicated and sent to the office of the Director of Public Prosecutions, state ministry of justice for legal advice and takeover of prosecution accordingly.” According to him, the command operates within the context of law with respect to Rule of Law dictates, charging the defendant (suspect) to Court. He insisted that Police did not wrongfully detained the defendant in its detention facility as portrayed that would warrant breach of his fundamental human rights. “It was the Court that remanded the defendant at the Correctional Service Facility herein Yola for the period of the case at hand. “The Command therefore assures members of the public that in synergy with the Ministry of Justice, will appeal against the decision of the State High Court, Yola”.

Police arrest robbery suspects on 2nd Niger Bridge

Police, DSS Neutralise 3-Man POS Robbery Gang

Operatives of Anambra State Police Command, attached to Harbour Division, have arrested two robbery suspects dispossessing unsuspecting citizens of their valuables on the recently inaugurated 2nd Niger Bridge. The Police team was on surveillance patrol on the Bridge when they apprehended the suspects who were about to steal expansion joints near the Obosi end of the bridge. A statement issued to journalists in Awka on Monday by DSP Tochukwu Ikenga, Anambra State Police Command Public Relations Officer (PPRO), said the suspects are now helping police in further investigations. According to Ikenga, one of the suspects hails from Enugu State and the other from Ebonyi State. The PPRO said when searched, two daggers and five sim cards removed from previously stolen phones, were recovered from the suspects, aged between 20 and 22 years. He added that the Covert Police Team monitored the gang and swooped on them, arresting two of the gangsters while others fled. Ikenga quoted the Commissioner of Police, Aderemi Adeoye, to have commended the Police Team for its vigilance and courage in confronting the gang. He stated that the CP had directed the owners of the recovered sim cards be located with a view to assembling evidence for successful prosecution of the arrested suspects.