Police Arrests Woman Over Protests In Niger

The Niger State Police Command has arrested three women and 22 youths for leading the protest in Minna, claiming that the women-led other people to disrupt the peace of the state capital. According to the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Wasiu Abiodun, the leader of the women, Aisha Jibrin mobilized other women and miscreants to block the Minna-Bida road and Kpakungun roundabout leading to disruption of law and order. Abiodun said that the protesters had deliberately refused to clear the road for public use despite the presence of Police patrol teams led by the Deputy Commissioner of Police, Operations, DCP Shehu Umar Didango, and the presence of the Deputy Governor of Niger State, Comrade Yakubu Garba. The PPRO further said that despite these personalities, the protesters turned deaf ears and chose to be violent leading the police to adopt minimum force to disperse the protesters. He said: “The Police adopted minimum force to disperse the protesters who turned violent by attacking the Police with dangerous weapons such as stones, bottles, sticks, cutlasses and damaged Police patrol vehicles and parts of the Kpakungu Division roof. “In the course of this, the Police arrested the initiator of the protest, one Aisha Jibrin aged 30 years, Fatima Aliyu aged 57 years, Fatima Isyaku aged 43 years all of Soje ‘A’ of Kpakungu area of Minna, and twenty-two other miscreants with the following dangerous weapons; a bench and a stick used as a barricade, three knives, one scissors, one cutlass, one saw blade, one iron pipe, four other sticks, two wraps of Indian hemp and charms.” The Initiator of the protest, Aisha Jibrin while defending herself said that her actions were not illegal as she believed that the plight of the hardship they are going through should be heard. She said that she never intended it to be a violent protest as she informed one youth leader whom she called Hassan in the community who was given the task to inform the Police about their plan to protest adding that she did not know that he did not inform the police. Jibrin defended herself saying that there is too much hunger in the land for the people to keep quiet about. However, the Police have declared Aisha’s mobilization of over 100 women and youths whom they called miscreants to block the highway for the protest was illegal The PPRO said that all suspects were taken to the State CID for investigation after which they will be charged to court for prosecution adding that effort is ongoing to arrest other identified members of the violent protest. In a related development, the Niger State House of Assembly directed the state government to provide palliatives to the most vulnerable members of society to forestall future protests which may be hijacked. The legislators noted that the women protested against the high cost of living in the society and inadequate response from the government compelled them to block the main roads to draw the attention of the government.

Absence of Ribadu, General Musa, others stall Senate’s interface with security chiefs

The Absence of National Security Adviser (NSA) Nuhu Ribadu, Chief of Defence Staff, General Christopher Musa and others, stalled planned interface of the Senate with the service chiefs and heads of security agencies on Wednesday. The Senate had on Tuesday last week through resolution adopted from collective motion on insecurity, summoned the Service Chiefs and heads of security agencies for grilling in plenary. The planned interface, as announced by the Chairman, Senate Committee on Banking, Insurance, and other Financial Institutions, Senator Adetokunbo Abiru, on Tuesday was specifically fixed for Wednesday and Thursday this week. But the Senate in plenary on Wednesday announced that the interface could not hold due to the absence of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Nuhu Ribadu, and Chief of Defence Staff, General Christopher Musa . President of the Senate , Godswill Akpabio, who made the announcement said apology, was received from Ribadu on his absence but that he and the Chief of Defence Staff, must be present at the very important session. He added that aside Ribadu and General Musa, the Senate has also resolved to add other security heads to the planned interface session. Those included at the planned session now postponed to Tuesday next week, are the Minister of Defence, Abubakar Badaru, Minister of State for Defence, Bello Matawale, Minister of Police Affairs, Senator Ibrahim Geidam, Minister of State for Police Affairs, Imaan Ibrahim, Minister of Interior, Hon Olubunmi Tunji Ojo, Minister of Finance, Olawale Edun and Director General of National Intelligence Agency, Ahmed Rufai Abubakar Akpabio in his remarks, thanked the Chief of Army Staff, Lt-General Taoheed Lagbaja , Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Emmanuel Ogalla, Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshall Hassan Abubakar, the Inspector General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun and Director General of Department of State Services, Yusuf Bichi, for honouring the Senate’s invitation. “We thank you all for honouring our invitation for the very important interface on way out of the lingering security crisis at hand. But due to the absence of the NSA and the Chief of Defence Staff, the interactive session will no longer hold today. “Besides, the Senate in its wisdom, has decided to add other public officers whose offices are connected to security matters, to be part of the interactive session . “Clerk of the Senate , has been directed to write them ahead of Tuesday next week , now fixed for the session. “We need their presence along with those of you here today , for holistic and comprehensive brainstorming on the problem at hand and required solution “, he said .

Police Denies Involvement In Formation Of Vigilante Group

The Commissioner of Police in Nasarawa State, CP Shehu Umar Nadada, has dismissed claims of the police command’s involvement in the creation of a Fulani Nomad Vigilante team.  This comes in response to the recent formation of a 1,144-member security team by the President of Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore, Abdullahi Bello Bodejo. During a courtesy visit by members of the Nigeria Union of Journalists, CP Nadada clarified that the command had no prior knowledge of the establishment of the Fulani Nomad Vigilante team and cannot be held responsible for their actions. While acknowledging that the police provided security during the inauguration ceremony, CP Nadada emphasized that it was done solely to prevent potential disruptions and maintain law and order. Residents had expressed concerns about alleged collaboration between the police and the nomad vigilante group, but the Commissioner affirmed that the police only secured the event venue and had not officially endorsed the vigilante team. In his statement, CP Nadada asserted, “We have been working with some vigilante groups that are recognised by the government, but we will not work with any vigilante that is not recognised by the government.” The Chairman of the NUJ, Nasarawa State Council, Salihu Alkali, congratulated the CP on his recent posting and pledged cooperation to ensure the success of the police command’s programs.

ISWAP Attack Police Headquarters In Borno

The Borno State Police Command has confirmed the killing of four policemen by Islamic State of West Africa Province (ISWAP) terrorists on Friday in Gajiram, headquarters of Nganzai local government area of Borno State. Confirming the incident to our journalists on Saturday in Maiduguri, the state’s Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), ASP Nahun Daso, said the bodies of the slain police officers have been recovered. Similarly, sources, according to Zagazola Makama, a Counter-Insurgency Expert and Security Analyst in the Lake Chad region, revealed that the terrorists disguised themselves and sneaked into the town at about 11 am on Friday and went straight to the police quarters in Gajiram town and opened fire, killing the four policemen. Makama added, “Sources said mobile policemen at the police quarters engaged the terrorists in a heavy gun battle, which prevented them from burning down the quarters. “It was learnt that when the troops of ‘Operation Hadin Kai’ Joint Taskforce stormed the scene, the terrorists had fled.” Gajiram is located about 73 kilometers from Maiduguri, the restive capital of Borno State.

Lagos PDP Chairman Kidnapped 

The Lagos State chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Mr. Philip Aivoji, has been abducted. He was abducted along the Lagos-Ibadan expressway around 6 p.m on Thursday, according to sources. The state publicity secretary of the party, Hon. Hakeem Amode, confirmed the abduction. He called on security agencies and government authorities at all levels to intervene promptly and secure his release. Amode stated that the chairman was returning from a stakeholders’ meeting in Oyo State convened by Governors Seyi Makinde and Ademola Adeleke. He said, “It is disheartening that kidnapping has become a prevalent issue in our country, and the government’s inability to address this menace is deeply concerning. “The abduction of Aivoji underscores the pressing need for decisive actions from the government and stakeholders to eradicate this menace. “Aivoji’s abduction was a violent incident, and his current whereabouts or any communication from the abductors remain unknown. “We implore the governments of Oyo, Ogun, and Lagos States, alongside security agencies, to expedite efforts and secure his safe return to his family and well-wishers. We firmly believe that, with increased efforts from security agencies, Aivoji can be rescued from these criminals, and we call on the public to support initiatives aimed at ending this threat to innocent lives.”

Police React to Abuja explosion 

The FCT Police Command has reacted to reports of an explosion in the Maitama area of the Federal Capital Territory. In a series of tweets via X on Wednesday, some residents attributed the incident to bomb. But the FCT police command in a statement by its Police Public Relations Officer, SP Josephine Adeh, said the incident was as a result of an overheated metal refuse bin. “The FCT Police Command hereby wishes to update the public on an alleged explosion on 24/01/2024 at about 1145 hrs, near a refuse dump outside the Bureau of Public Enterprise premises in Maitama, Abuja.” “A rapid response team and members of the Explosive Ordnance Disposal Unit was deployed to assess the situation and preliminary findings indicate than an overheated metal refuse container activated under intense heat, exploded, thereby causing injury to two of the refuse evacuator, who are currently receiving medical attention in Maitama General Hospital. “The FCT Police Command urges members of the public to exercise caution and refrain from using metal refuse bins. Instead, we recommend the use of plastic or rubber containers for waste disposal, as they pose a reduced risk of incidents related to overheated metal refuse containers,” the statement said.

Bandits Strike In Enugu Community, Kill 1

Agu-Amede community near Eha-Amufu in the Isi-Uzo Local Government Area of Enugu State witnessed another horrifying attack on Sunday, January 21, 2024.  Suspected herder bandits targeted Odoba and Isi Agbuhu villages, resulting in the tragic death of Ikechukwu Odomi from Isi Agbuhu. Community leader Ephraim Ogbu confirmed the attack, expressing deep concern over the apparent lack of response from security forces despite timely information provided by the locals.  Ogbu revealed that a house owned by Chibuike Olinya in Odoba Agu Amede village was also burned down, with Olinya narrowly escaping harm. Despite the prolonged nature of the attack, Ogbu lamented that soldiers and other security agencies did not intervene, raising questions about the effectiveness of their presence in the area.  Ogbu questioned, “What we don’t know is whether the soldiers are here to protect the bandits?” Residents have been grappling with ongoing attacks since late last year, with Fulani bandits reportedly occupying a significant portion of farmland.  The assailants enter the community freely, leaving destruction in their wake. Ogbu emphasized, “The bandits come into the community at will, kill and burn houses.” The slain Ikechukwu Odomi had been accompanying his in-law when they encountered the bandits on the road.  He abandoned his vehicle and fled into the bush, but tragically, the assailants pursued him, setting the bush ablaze and claiming his life.

New Commander Takes Charge to Tackle Abuja Kidnapping Crisis

Once a rare occurrence in the nation’s capital, Abuja, the incidence of kidnapping and other violent crimes have become rampant in the Federal Capital Territory of Nigeria. Determined to stem the escalating incidence of kidnapping in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), the Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Olukayode Egbetokun, has inaugurated the Special Intervention Squad (SIS). This squad, under the leadership of the newly appointed commander, DC Mohammed Sanusi, aims to combat the activities of kidnappers, bandits, and enhance security in the border towns of the FCT. The launch of the SIS comes at a critical time as Abuja and its environs grapple with a surge in insecurity. Recent incidents have seen a rise in abductions and fatalities among civilians in the FCT. ESTABLISHMENT OF SPECIAL INTERVENTION SQUAD IGP Egbetokun, who assumed office in June, declared the establishment of the SIS as a key initiative of his administration. The squad comprises specially trained officers equipped to swiftly respond to security incidents, aligning with the administration’s priority to address violent crime threats across the country. Force spokesperson Muyiwa Adejobi unveiled the new commander, DC Mohammed Sanusi, via X (Twitter), stating, “Behold, the new commander IRT, DC Mohammed Sanusi. His team has arrested many kidnappers and recovered arms and ammunition, many of which were displayed recently. In just two days since the launch of the SIS in Abuja, significant progress has been made. Adejobi reported, “IRT has picked 2 gun runners and 4 suspected kidnappers who terrorize the FCT and neighboring communities. The operations are still ongoing, with details to be provided soon during a media briefing. We count on your support to do more. Thanks.”

Abuja Kidnappers: We Have Arrested Informants– Wike

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has revealed that informants working for the kidnappers in the nation’s capital have been apprehended. The Minister shared the news during a town hall meeting with stakeholders and residents in Gwagwalada Area Council of the FCT on Friday. According to him, the end has come for kidnappers, bandits and their informants in the FCT. Wike said, “The President has asked me to assure you that he will not abandon you. So, all these criminals, be ready. Your time is up. If I say I will do something, I will do it. And now that I am here today, if you know you are an informant or even one of the criminals, the end has come for you. Security agencies and I will follow up so you won’t enter Gwagwalada again. “Some of the people giving them information, we have arrested them. If they haven’t arrested you, it doesn’t mean we won’t arrest you tomorrow or even before we leave this place.” The development is coming amidst the upsurge of kidnapping and insecurity, which has been plaguing communities in the FCT. Tension has gripped most communities after kidnappers killed three of 10 abducted victims over the delay in the payment of over N700 million ransom.

Police Burst Identity of Abuja Notorious Kidnapper

The identity of the notorious Abuja kidnapper arrested by police operatives of the Kaduna State Police Command has been revealed. In a statement on Friday, the FCT Command Public Relations Officer (PPRO), SP Josephine Adeh, said the name of the suspected kidnapper is Chinaza Phillip. She said Philip was arrested on Thursday, January 18, 2024, for his involvement in the recent kidnappings and killings in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT). Adeh added that the suspect was handed over to the FCT Police Command on Friday and is currently in police custody. The statement reads: “The FCT Police Command wishes to confirm the arrest of one Chinaza Phillip, a notorious Abuja kidnapper by police operatives of the Kaduna State Police Command on Thursday 18th January 2024. “The suspect has been handed over to FCT police Command today being Friday 19th January, 2024, and currently in police custody. “More details will be communicated soon….”