Tinubu Approves ₦90 Billion To Subsidise Cost Of 2024 Hajj

President Bola Tinubu has approved N90 billion to subsidise the cost of the 2024 Hajj pilgrimage for citizens. Vice President Kashim Shettima made this known on Wednesday at the inauguration of the 2024 National Hajj operation, held at the Sir Ahmadu Bello International Airport, Birnin Kebbi, the Kebbi State capital. He said the Federal Government had a major issue in announcing the final hajj fare for the 2024 Muslim pilgrimage due to fluctuations in foreign exchange rates. Shettima added that the government carefully selected men of integrity and records of selfless dedication to manage the affairs of the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria in the interest of Nigerian pilgrims. He said: “You may recall that this year, we had a major challenge in announcing the final hajj fare for the 2024 Muslim pilgrimage due to fluctuation in foreign exchange rates. “President Bola Tinubu also works round the clock to control the downward spiral of our local currency to bring relief to our pilgrims and other Nigerians. “A move that eventually succeeded in lowering the fare. The President approved the release of N90 billion to subsidize the cost of pilgrimage for this year’s hajj. “Due to this high regard, the government took time to carefully select men of integrity with administrative acumen and records of selfless dedication to manage the affairs of the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria in the interest of Nigerian pilgrims. “Government at the highest level monitors all arrangements meant for the well-being of our pilgrims both in Saudi Arabia and within the country before embarking on the journey. “We are aware of the provision put in place for the safety, security and comfort of the Nigerian contingent to the 2024 hajj of our pilgrims. “Indeed, it is through our collective prayers and individual contributions that our country will prosper.” Recall that Nigerian Muslim pilgrims who had earlier paid for a trip to Saudi Arabia for the 2024 Hajj demanded a refund after the country’s Hajj Commission instructed them to pay another N1.9 million in March. The commission had increased the fare for this year’s pilgrimage to Saudi Arabia by N1,918,032.91 while setting a deadline of March 28, 2024.
2024 Hajj: Nigeria’s inaugural flight commences May 15

As expectations are high on this year’s holy pilgrimage to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) on Thursday informed that the country’s inaugural flight would take off on May 15. This was made known by NAHCON Chairman/CEO, Malam Jalal Ahmad Arabi, in his opening remark at the first National Stakeholder Summit of Nigeria’s Hajj and Umrah Industry held at the Shehu Musa Yar’Adua Centre in Abuja. Arabi informed that close to 65,500 Nigeria pilgrims would participate in the 2024 Hajj, adding that they would be airlifted by the approved airlines from 10 departure centres across the country. The NAHCON boss said the commission had decided that for this year’s operations all Nigerian pilgrims would visit and spend at least four days in Madinah before the commencement of the Hajj rites proper. Speaking on the summit, Arabi said coming together of stakeholders was a divine responsibility on all, noting that the theme of the summit, “Partnership, Collaboration and Teamwork: The tripod of success for 2024 Hajj operations”, was carefully chosen. He said the Hajj body deemed it fit to dialogue with critical stakeholders to ensure successful Hajj operations this year. He added that it is important that all stakeholders work together for the pilgrims to have memorable Hajj experience this year.