BREAKING: SGF, NSA, ministers in emergency meeting over planned nationwide protest

By Doris Isreal Ijeoma The Secretary to the Government of the Federation, SGF, George Akume, is currently meeting with ministers over the planned nationwide protest against economic hardship. The meeting, which is taking place behind closed doors, has all the over 40 ministers in President Bola Tinubu’s cabinet in attendance. Some of the Ministers spotted are Nyesom Wike (FCT), Yusuf Tuggar (Foreign Affairs), Zephaniah Jisalo (Special Duties), Tahir Mamman (Education), and Abubakar Bagudu (Budget and Planning). Others are Wale Edun (Finance), Mohammed Idris (Information), Bello Matawalle (Defence), David Umahi (Works), and the National Security Adviser (NSA) Nuhu Ribadu, amongst others. Recall that the President had earlier on Tuesday pleaded with Nigerians to shelve the #EndBadGovernance protest slated to commence on August 1. The protest against economic hardship, organized by faceless persons, has gained traction on social media and is scheduled to hold across the 36 states of the Federation and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja.

Nationwide protest: SGF, ministers hold emergency meeting today

The Federal Government has scheduled an emergency meeting for Wednesday (today) morning in response to a planned nationwide protest slated for August 1. This comes after President Bola Tinubu pleaded with the organisers to shelve the protests and give his administration more time to execute people-oriented programmes. A circular shared with The PUNCH on Tuesday by sources with knowledge of the meeting indicated that all the ministers, the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, George Akume and the Special Advisers to the President on Policy and Coordination, Hadiza Bala-Usman; Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga and former Minister of Youth and Sports, Sunday Dare, were among those invited for the meeting. The circular, signed by the Permanent Secretary of the Cabinet Affairs Office, Richard Pheelangwah, dated July 23, 2024, was titled, ‘Planned Nationwide Protest.’ It read, “I am directed to invite you to attend a meeting with the Secretary to the Government of the Federation on the above subject slated as follows: July 24, 2024, Time: 10 am prompt, Venue: Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation Conference Room. “Attendance is mandatory. Please, accept the warm regards of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation.” The planned session is coming amid the clamour for nationwide protests from August 1 over the rising cost of living and the economic hardship in the country, which has blamed on the removal of fuel subsidy, the floating of the naira and other economic reforms implemented by the Tinubu administration. The planned demonstration, inspired by the recent Kenya protests, has gained traction on social media, where it is trending under the hashtags ‘EndBadGovernance,’ ‘TinubuMustGo’ and ‘#Revolution2024.’ However, the Presidency and the police authorities called on youths to abandon the plan, describing it as ill-advised. The Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris, on Tuesday conveyed the President’s plea to Nigerians in an interview with State House correspondents, after a meeting with Tinubu. He said, “On the issue of the planned protest, Mr President does not see any need for that. He asked them to shelve that plan and he has asked them to await the government’s response to all their pleas. “So, there is no need for a strike. The young people out there should listen to the President and allow the President more time to see to the realisation of all the goodies he has for them.” Idris said the President took the protesters’ grievances seriously and was committed to ensuring a better future for Nigeria. He mentioned the speedy passage of the National Minimum Wage Bill by the National Assembly and the recent approval and delivery of grains to state governments as evidence of the President’s commitment to the welfare of Nigerians. Idris added, “We also discussed the issue of the country generally and Mr President has asked me to again inform Nigerians that he listens to them, especially the young people that are trying to protest. “For example, you saw that the Federal Government approve grains and rice for state governments, it was delivered to them expeditiously also. “Like I said the other time, it is just the necessary first step; the government is going to continue in that direction, supporting them and ensuring that whatever interventions the Federal Government has put in place go to those that should benefit. It is very important that is being put out. “The Federal Government is looking at strategies that every intervention would go directly to those who benefit from those interventions, not middlemen intervening along the way.” The minister also said President Tinubu was passionate about the newly launched Student Loan Board, which aimed at ensuring that every eligible student had access to tertiary education. “It is no longer a time for all of us to stay back and see our young able-bodied men and women that have pa

Labour Party petitions FG, ministers, others over vandalisation of party offices by NLC

The Labour Party has formally petitioned relevant government institutions over the invasion of its premises by the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC). In the petition, the party requested urgent intervention to protect its interests and called for disciplinary measures against the President of the NLC, Comrade Joe Ajaero, and other union leaders. In letters addressed to the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Minister of Justice and Attorney General of the Federation, Minister of Labour and Employment, and the Registrar of Trade Unions, the party leadership, represented by Chairman Barrister Julius Abure and National Secretary Alhaji Umar Farouk Ibrahim, outlined their concerns. According to the Labour Party, Comrade Ajaero has misused workers’ funds to orchestrate picketing and insurrection at the Labour Party headquarters, which constitutes an abuse of office. The party asserted that such actions should be met with appropriate sanctions. Part of the letter read, “It has become unavoidably necessary to request for your urgent intervention, being the Regulatory Agency for trade unions including the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC). “The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has over the years engaged in a war of attrition with our party. It came to a head and unbearable when the NLC under the leadership of Comrade Joe Ajeoro directed the picketing of our party’s National Headquarters and our chapter offices across the country. The unwarranted attack in our office resulted in the destruction of several properties. “The NLC claims to be owners of the party and therefore wants to impose the leadership of the party, exerts overwhelming control to achieve a political end. It must be pointed out that once a Political Party is registered by INEC it becomes a body corporate with a perpetual succession and a common seal (see the letter of INEC to NLC dated 3rd September 2015) where INEC stated clearly that the NLC has no superior status. “Section 77 of the Electoral Act 2022 provides that, a Political Party once registered has a life of its own and it is only regulated by its constitution. It is imperative to note that by the import of the above provisions, whosoever plays any role whatsoever in the registration of the party becomes immaterial. The party will thereafter be regulated by its constitution. “It should be noted that Section 221 of the 1999 Constitution (As Amended) prohibits any association from contributing to the funds of any Political Party. It is a criminal offence under section 15 of the Trade Union Act to use Trade Unions Funds whether directly or indirectly to fund a Political Party. “It is our arguments that using workers funds to picket and sponsor insurrection in the Labour Party headquarters and its legitimate leadership is an abuse of office by the Presidents of the NLC Comrade Joe Ajaero and should therefore be called to order and properly sanctioned. “Similarly, the NLC has no right to picket an organization where there is no trade dispute. The Labour Party has no staff who are members of the NLC. The actions of the NLC is a clear violation of the 1999 Constitution, the Electoral Act, the Trade Union Act and other relevant laws.

FG Moves To Avert Planned Strike, Meets Organised Labour In Aso Rock

FG Moves To Avert Planned Strike, Meets Organised Labour In Aso Rock

In an effort to avert a nationwide strike scheduled for October 3, the Federal Government has initiated discussions with organised labour at the Aso Rock Presidential Villa in Abuja. This meeting, orchestrated by the Chief of Staff to the President, Femi Gbajabiamila, has drawn the participation of several ministers. Last Tuesday, leaders of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress of Nigeria (TUC) jointly declared their intent to commence an indefinite strike on October 3. Following a resolution of their internal differences, which led to a two-day warning strike by the NLC without the participation of TUC, the unions also called upon their state chapters to mobilize for protests across the nation. Two days later, during a meeting of the National Executive Council chaired by Vice President Kashim Shettima, a plea was made to the organised labour to reconsider their planned strike action. Plateau State Governor, Caleb Mutfwang, who addressed reporters at the Presidential Villa last Thursday, appealed to the leadership of organised labour to exercise patience and allow more time for dialogue. Mutfwang revealed that the welfare of Nigerian workers would be a focal point in President Bola Tinubu’s inaugural Independence Day address to the nation on Sunday. In response to the plea made by the National Executive Council, the President’s Chief of Staff convened this meeting to resolve the ongoing industrial dispute with organised labour.

Swearing-in ceremony for ministers holds at Presidential Villa

Swearing-in ceremony for ministers holds at Presidential Villa

The formal induction of the 45 confirmed ministers-designate took place at the Conference Centre of the State House, Abuja. This event comes less than a week after President Bola Tinubu unveiled the assigned roles for these appointees. Notable among the designations are former Rivers State governor Nyesom Wike, who takes charge of the Ministry of Federal Capital Territory (FCT), and Festus Keyamo, who assumes the role of overseeing the Ministry of Aviation. Other key ministers include Wale Edun as the Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Adegboyega Oyetola as the Minister of Transportation, David Umahi as the Minister of Works, and Betta Edu as the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Alleviation. Here is the comprehensive list of the appointed ministers: Minister of Communications, Innovation and Digital Economy – Bosun Tijani Minister of State, Environment and Ecological Management – Ishak Salaco Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy – Wale Edun Minister of Marine and Blue Economy – Bunmi Tunji Minister of Power – Adedayo Adelabu Minister of State, Health and Social Welfare – Tunisia Alausa Minister of Solid Minerals Development – Dele Alake Minister of Tourism – Lola Ade-John Minister of Transportation – Adegboyega Oyetola Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment – Doris Anite Minister of Innovation Science and Technology – Uche Nnaji Minister of State, Labour and Employment – Nkiruka Onyejeocha Minister of Women Affairs – Uju Kennedy Minister of Works – David Umahi Minister of Aviation and Aerospace Development – Festus Keyamo Minister of Youth – Abubakar Momoh Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Alleviation – Betta Edu Minister of State, Gas Resources – Ekperikpe Ekpo Minister of State, Petroleum Resources – Heineken Lokpobiri Minister of Sports Development – John Enoh Minister of Federal Capital Territory – Nyesom Wike Minister of Art, Culture and the Creative Economy – Hannatu Musawa Minister of Defence – Mohammed Badaru Minister of State Defence – Bello Matawalle Minister of State Education – Yusuf T. Sunumu Minister of Housing and Urban Development – Ahmed M. Dangiwa Minister of State, Housing and Urban Development – Abdullah T. Gwarzo Minister of Budget and Economic Planning – Atiku Bagudu Minister of State, Federal Capital Territory – Mairiga Mahmud Minister of State, Water Resources and Sanitation – Bello M. Goronyo Minister of Agriculture and Food Security – Abubakar Kyar Minister of Education – Tahir Maman Minister of Interior – Sa’Idu A. Alkali Minister of Foreign Affairs – Yusuf M. Tuggar Coordinating Minister of Health and Social Welfare – Ali Pate Minister of Police Affairs – Ibrahim Geidam Minister of State, Steel Development – U. Maigari Ahmadu Minister of Steel Development – Shuaibu A. Audu Minister of Information and National Orientation – Muhammed Idris Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice – Lateef Fagbemi Minister of Labour and Employment – Simon B. Lalong Minister of State, Police Affairs – Imaan Sulaiman-Ibrahim Minister of Special Duties and Inter-Governmental Affairs – Zephaniah Jisalo Minister of Water Resources and Sanitation – Joseph Utsev Minister of State, Agriculture and Food Security – Aliyu Sabi Abdullahi Minister of Environment and Ecological Management – (Kaduna)