How Troops Foiled Attack On Yobe Governor’s Convoy –DHQ

How Troops Foiled Attack On Yobe Governor's Convoy – DHQ

The Defence Headquarters said troops of 29 Task Force Brigade foiled the attack by terrorists on the convoy of Yobe Governor along Maiduguri-Damaturu Road on Saturday. A statement by the Director, Defence Media Operations, Maj.-Gen. Edward Buba, on Monday in Abuja, said the troops also recovered the two vehicles affected in the incident. He said one military truck driver, four police escorts and one DSS operative wounded in the attack were in stable condition. According to him, one of the injured police escorts died shortly on arrival at the Specialists Hospital Damaturu. “Reinforcement of troops from 29 Task Force Brigade led by the Brigade Commander are conducting fighting patrol in the area to locate the terrorists who carried out the dastardly act. “The two vehicles affected in the incident include one military MRAP and one civilian escort vehicle whose tyres were shot at during the incident, have been safely recovered to the military camp at Benisheikh. “Operations are ongoing to hunt and destroy the terrorists that perpetrated the attack,” he said. The governor’s convoy was ambushed by terrorists while returning to Damaturu from Maiduguri, about 6 kilometers from Benesheikh town on Saturday. The governor was not in the convoy when it was ambushed. The Secretary to the State Government and some other top government officials who were in the convoy were unhurt. 

Coup in Gabon as Army sacks Ali Bongo over disputed election

Coup in Gabon as Army sacks President Ali Bongo over disputed election

*Military generals nullify controversial election results Another coup has happened in Africa after a faction of high-ranking military officials in Gabon took to national television to assert their control, asserting that the recent general election’s legitimacy is questionable. They maintain that they represent the collective security and defense forces of Gabon. In a televised address, the officers proclaimed the nullification of the election outcomes, immediate closure of national borders, and the dissolution of state institutions. The capital city, Libreville, resonated with the echoes of gunshots, as reported by a correspondent from Reuters, right after the televised message was broadcasted. Efforts to reach the government for a response were unsuccessful at the time of reporting. The incumbent leader of Gabon, President Ali Bongo, secured a third term in office through the presidential election, garnering 64.27% of the total votes, according to the Gabonese election centre’s announcement on Wednesday. The general election had been marred by delays, fueling allegations of fraud from the opposition. The Bongo family’s lengthy 53-year reign over Gabon could potentially be terminated if this power shift takes effect. Presenting the results during the early hours, Michel Stephane Bonda, the head of the election committee, disclosed that Albert Ondo Ossa, Bongo’s primary rival, emerged in second place with 30.77% of the votes. Bongo’s team promptly dismissed Ondo Ossa’s claims of electoral improprieties. Tensions had already escalated in the lead-up to the presidential, parliamentary, and legislative elections held on Saturday. While Bongo aimed to prolong his family’s 56-year dominion over Gabon, opposition forces pressed for transformative change in the resource-rich yet economically challenged Central African nation. Apprehensions had escalated due to the absence of international observers, the suspension of foreign broadcasts, and the government’s imposition of internet blackouts and a nationwide curfew following the polls. These actions have raised doubts about the transparency and fairness of the electoral process.

Niger Coup: Thousands march in solidarity in Niamey

Niger Coup: Thousands march in solidarity in Niamey

Demonstrators took to the streets of Niger’s capital Niamey on Thursday in a show of support for the country’s new leadership, a week after a military coup in the West African country. People rallied on the streets of Niamey to signal their support for de facto president Abdourahmane Tchiani and his junta, a dpa correspondent in the capital reported. The demonstrations followed a call by civil society associations, according to reports. They came on the 63rd anniversary of Niger gaining independence from former colonial power France. According to local media, people also demonstrated in the city of Agadez, with posters seen expressing support for the putschists. Russian flags are also said to have been waved. Agadez is on the edge of the Sahara Desert, which many migrants pass through on their way through the desert to Libya and towards the Mediterranean. The coup plotters managed to ignite a “nationalistic fire” in the population within a week, said Olaf Bernau from the migration network Afrique-Europe-Interact. Part of the reason for this is the EU’s migration strategy in Niger. For several years, Niger, as an important transit country for migrants heading for Europe, has received financial support to limit migration. Since 2015, a law in Niger has criminalized illegal migration and its support. So far, Niger has not only been an important partner for the West in containing migration, but also in the fight against terrorism. In the Sahel, dozens of militias, some of whom have sworn allegiance to so-called Islamic State (IS) or the terrorist organization Al-Qaeda, regularly carry out attacks. Last week, officers of the presidential guard in Niger arrested the democratically elected president of Niger, Mohamed Bazoum, and declared him deposed. Tchiani, the commander of the presidential guard, appointed himself the new ruler on Friday, suspended the constitution, and dissolved all constitutional institutions. Bazoum used an opinion piece in the Washington Post on Thursday to call for the international world to help restore constitutional order. He was writing “as a hostage” and was “just one of hundreds of citizens who have been arbitrarily and illegally imprisoned,” Bazoum said in the piece. The coup had no justification and, if it succeeded, would have “devastating consequences for our country, our region, and the entire world,” Bazoum wrote. He used the piece to call on the US government and “the entire international community” to help restore order. “Fighting for our shared values, including democratic pluralism and respect for the rule of law, is the only way to make sustainable progress against poverty and terrorism. The Nigerien people will never forget your support at this pivotal moment in our history,” he wrote. Niger’s new rulers are looking for allies. The deputy head of the country’s military junta, General Salifou Modi, travelled to the neighbouring countries of Mali and Burkina Faso, which are also ruled by army officers who took power in military coups. Both have pledged their support to Niger, Modi said, particularly in the area of security. “We are happy about the closeness we have with our brothers in Mali,” the deputy head of Niger’s military junta, General Salifou Modi, said after a meeting with the government in the Malian capital Bamako on Wednesday. Burkina Faso’s military strongman Ibrahima Traoré also assured him of his support at a meeting in the capital Ouagadougou on Wednesday, Modi said. Pressure continues to mount on Niger, with Nigeria suspending electricity supplies and the World Bank freezing payments to the West African nation on Wednesday. Also, the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) has given the putschists in Niger an ultimatum. If Bazoum is not reinstated by Sunday, ECOWAS will take action that could include sanctions and armed force, it declared. Meanwhile, in Paris, the French Foreign Ministry said the evacuation of its nationals from Niger has been completed, according to a statement on its website published on Thursday. French Defence Minister Sébastien Lecornu said on Twitter that 1,079 French and foreign nationals have been evacuated since Tuesday. There were four Paris-bound flights carrying 992 people including 560 French nationals. A fifth and final flight brought about 100 people to Chad, the French General Staff told dpa. Paris said the evacuation was needed because Niger had closed its airspace and there had been reported violence at the French embassy during pro-coup protests. Niger’s junta has accused France of planning a military intervention. French broadcasters France 24 and RFI have been banned from broadcasting in Niger. A statement issued on Thursday evening by France’s Foreign Ministry said it very firmly condemned the suspension of broadcasting. The measures taken against the press in Niger occurred in a context of authoritarian repression by those responsible for the coup, the ministry added. In Washington, President Joe Biden noted on Thursday on the occasion of Niger’s Independence Day, that the West African country “is facing a grave challenge to its democracy.” He repeated calls for the immediate release of Bazoum and his family and “for the preservation of Niger’s hard-earned democracy.”