Igbos in diaspora write Gov Uzodinma, to support Nnamdi Kanu’s release from detention

A group of Igbos in diaspora has formally written Imo State Governor, Hope Uzodinma pleading passionately for his intervention in the on-going struggle to get the detained IPOB leader, Nnamdi Kanu released from detention by the Federal Government. The group solicited Uzodinma to be interested in the travails and trial of Kanu in treasonable felony by the federal government and join the bid for the way out of the logjam. The group operating under the aegis of American Veterans of Igbo Descent (AVID) asked the governor to have a change of heart in the matters of Kanu and throw his support for his release for genuine peace to reign in the South East Region. Their letter dated April 14, 2024, was signed by Dr. Sylvester Onyia, AVID President and Dr. Godson Obiagwu as Secretary. The group claimed that the incerceration of Kanu by government has done havocs than good for all the Igbo speaking States and reiterated the need for his release to enable business and commercial activities bounce back for the people in the region. In the letter, the group criticized the lukewarm attitude of the governor to insecurity in the region, especially in Imo State, where they claimed that several lives have been lost without any concrete response from the state government. The letter read in part, “A worrisome show of contempt for Igbos is covert conspiracies against the release of Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) since his infamous extraordinary rendition from Kenya into Nigeria in the year 2021 and the persecution that ensued. “It has become obvious that you do not want Mazi Nnamdi Kanu released from the unlawful incarceration the Federal Government of Nigeria subjected him to. “While we are aware that several meritorious applications had before now been made to the trial Federal High Court Judge for the release of Mazi Nnamdi Kanu on bail, we have come to the ugly realization that Your Excellency is behind the continual refusal of such bail applications. “You are aware that in so far as Mazi Nnamdi Kanu remains unlawfully detained in the Nigeria security service’s facilities, there would be no peace in Igbo land and the spate of youth restiveness and violence would know no bounds. “Nigerians know how the infamous attempt at Kanu’s life under Operation Python Dance was planned and executed. “While we regret the entirety of your acts and deeds against Igbo nation and your secret vows to ensure that Mazi Nnamdi Kanu rots in detention, we honestly believe that you can turn over a new leaf. “We therefore request that Your Excellency returns the Igbo spirit of ONYE AGHANA NWANNE YA and work toward peace in Igbo land. “And howsoever Your Excellency does it is not material to us provided there is a return to peace and tranquility. “We are very optimistic that Your Excellency would have a change of heart and work towards peace in Igbo land”, the letter said.

Deputy Speaker Kalu Advocates Political Means for Nnamdi Kanu’s Release

Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, Hon. Benjamin Kalu, revealed ongoing efforts to secure the release of Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, leader of IPOB, through a combination of legal processes and political negotiations. Speaking on “The Ben Kalu’s Mandate” radio show, Kalu emphasized the importance of behind-the-scenes political maneuvers in achieving Kanu’s release and fostering peace in the South East region. Kalu highlighted the role of the Peace In South East Project (PISE-P) in advocating for reconciliation and acknowledged Kanu’s significance in the peace agenda.  He stressed the need for political solutions and urged the involvement of Igbo elders in discussions with the federal government. Kalu said: “The Peace in South East Project (PISE-P) has reconciliation in the mix of what we are trying to achieve. We recognise the importance of our brother, Nnamdi Kanu in the peace agenda we are pushing. That’s the truth. And I have been very vocal about it. I am not hiding it. “I have always told people that I will never deny Nnamdi Kanu. He’s my brother. We come from the same place and I will never be happy having him incarcerated when we can have him out and increase our pursuit towards peace. But we may not advance all the things we are doing behind our backs but I can assure you that all the powers-that-be in this country know that people like us are not sitting on the fence.” Addressing the South East Development Commission (SEDC) Bill, Kalu noted its progress in the conference committee stage, emphasizing the importance of resolving related matters to advance the region’s development. Kalu called for peace and loyalty to the government while pursuing concessions, underscoring the imperative of maintaining stability in the region.

IPOB: Kanu’s family insists he needs cardiologist

The family of the Leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, has raised fresh concern over his continued failing health, saying he needs urgent medical attention to avert a major health crisis. This is as the family sought to know those benefiting from the alleged whopping N800 million that the Federal Government spends as the cost of bringing him to court any time he is to make appearance. Spokesman of the family, Prince Emmanuel Kanu in a statement on Sunday said the family heard that the Federal Government spent N800 million each time he was brought to court. His words:” Mazi Nnamdi Kanu has finally become a money-minting venture for a few corrupt individuals in the corridors of power. “We heard that Government spends N800 million each time he is brought to court. Then, we want to know who the beneficiaries of the said money are? “Government should tell the people who collects and spends the money, and on what. “Our fear is that if it’s true that such humongous amount of money were spent on bringing him to court any time he is to appear, then it may be impossible to grant him bail any time soon because the cabal benefiting from his continued incarceration may not be willing to let go of their oil well.” The family which recently berated the Igbo political class for allegedly abandoning their son, expressed deep worry over his health condition. “We just got information that he is critically down. He has not been granted access to his personal doctors, and he urgently needs cardiologist. He should not be allowed to die in DSS custody”. The family, once again, called on the international community, to prevail on Nigeria to release the IPOB Leader who, it said, “is unjustly held for demanding the freedom of his Biafra people “. Kanu has remained in a solitary confinement at the Abuja headquarters of the Department of State Services, (DSS), since June 21 when he was abducted and extraordinarily renditioned from Kenya.

I’m not in support of violence in South East -Kanu

The embattled Nnamdi Kanu has distanced himself from the violence in the South Eastern part of the country by Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) members. Speaking after the court refused to grant his bail application, Kanu vowed that those behind the violence in the name of being an IPOB member would not be spared. He noted that the violence persisted because he was being held in the custody of DSS, adding that if released, there would be peace in the entire South- East. He said, “Anybody committing crime cannot go free. I swear it. Anybody committing crime in the east cannot go free. They are doing it because I am in the DSS(custody). If I were to be outside, nobody can try this. I suspect that some people in government are complicit. They are making money with the insecurity. “They know if Nnamdi Kanu is outside, in two minutes this nonsense will stop. Who is the bagger or idiot that will speak when I am talking. That I will give an order in the East who is the idiot that I will an order that will counter it ? Nobody can. I am Nnmadi Kanu. Rubbish!. “Anybody involved in any form of violence in the East in the name of IPOB is a goner and they know it. Let me come out of this mess, only two minutes there will be peace in the East. “

BREAKING: Nnamdi Kanu Bail Appeal Denied

The Federal High Court in Abuja on Tuesday rejected the bail application by the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, Nnamdi Kanu. The trial judge, Justice Binta Nyako, however, granted an accelerated hearing instead. Counsel for the IPOB leader, Alloy Ejimakor, had at the last adjourned date urged the court to admit Kanu to bail before the commencement of the trial. Ejimakor stated that Kanu’s health condition was deteriorating, adding that his continued detention by the DSS was a threat to his life. Ejimakor also argued that the continued incarceration of Kanu would not enable him to put up a good defence in the matter. But the counsel for the FG, Adegboyega Awomolo (SAN), urged the court to dismiss the bail application and instead grant an accelerated hearing. He noted that the DSS has a medical facility that could take care of him. Awomolo also accused Kanu of once jumping bail, adding that he failed to declare on oath in the affidavit filed by his lawyer that if granted bail, he wouldn’t jump bail. He was earlier granted bail on health grounds on April 25, 2017, after spending 18 months in detention but he fled the country after an invasion of his residence by the military in September 2017.

Unlawful arrest, detention: Nnamdi Kanu’s lawyer loses appeal against police, DSS

The Court of Appeal in Abuja, Monday, dismissed the appeal by Felix Okonkwo, one of the lawyers of the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu over his unlawful arrest and detention by the Police and the State Security Services (SSS). Dismissing the appeal for want of merit and substance, the lead judge, justice Abang held that the appellant failed to establish miscarriage of justice in the judgment of a High Court of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, in the matter. Felix Okonkwo, Ikenna Chibuike, and Okafor Ugochukwu had dragged the Nigeria Police Force and the SSS before the high court for the enforcement of their fundamental human rights. They specifically accused the two security agencies of violating their fundamental rights by their unlawful arrest and detention on September 27, 2021, during which they claimed that they were tortured, harassed and intimidated while in the custody of the Police. Justice Samaila Bature had, in his judgment delivered on March 24, 2022 found Police liable for the unlawful arrest and detention of the the appellants and subsequently imposed a fine of N2 million against Police to be paid to the appellants. Justice Bature, however, did not make any order against the SSS because the Appellants, then plaintiffs, did not disclose any cause of action against SSS. Not satisfied with the findings and decisions of the high court, the three plaintiffs approached the Court of Appeal praying for an order to hold that SSS was also culpable in their arrest and detention. They claimed that the N2 million imposed on Police as fine to be paid to them was paltry and ridiculously low and asked the appellate court to jerk up the fine as compensation for their unlawful arrest and detention. In his judgment, Justice Abang held that from the video footage tendered as exhibit by the appellants at the trial court, there was no where the operatives of the SSS were found at the scene of their arrest in the house of Ifeanyi Ejiofor in Anambra state. The appellate court Justice disagreed with the appellants in their claims that the N2 million compensatory damages was grossly insufficient. According to Justice Abang, the decision to award compensatory damages is at the discretion of a judge and can not be dictated by any plaintiff or appellant. In the instant case, Justice Abang agreed with Justice Bature that peculiar facts and circumstances of the unlawful arrest and detention of the appellants were carefully considered at the trial court before arriving at the amount. Besides, Justice Abang said that the appellants did not point out irrelevant facts in the judgment of the high court and did not also disclose their status in the society, their their monthly or yearly income and also what they lost in the course of their detention. “In my opinion and going by the peculiar facts and circumstances of this case, the N2 million compensation to the appellants was properly awarded. “I can not fault the award because the appellant did not give any good reason for them to have been awarded a much higher amount. “In the final analysis, the appeal lacks merit, and it is accordingly dismissed. The decision of the trial court is hereby affirmed. There is order as to cost, “Justice Abang held. Justices Joseph Olubunmi Kayode Oyewole and Abba Bello Mohammed endorsed the unanimous judgment delivered by Justice Abang.

Release Nnamdi Kanu now, Sunday Igboho Tells Tinubu

Yoruba activist Sunday Igboho has called on the Federal Government to release Nnamdi Kanu, the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB).  The plea, delivered through a viral video on Tuesday, coincided with Kanu’s trial at the Federal High Court in Abuja. Kanu, who appeared in court on February 26, 2024, for the first time since a Supreme Court ruling on December 15, 2023, has been in custody since June 2021.  Igboho emphasized Kanu’s innocence, urging an end to political maneuvers and highlighting the need for Kanu to be reunited with his family. Igboho stated in the video, “Release Nnamdi Kanu. Stop politics. This guy didn’t do anything. Today is February 27, 2024. Release him, let him go, and stay with his family. This guy just fights for his people in the Southeast like me that I’m fighting for my people in Yorubaland. Release him, let him go. Stop these political games. Release Kanu, let him go home, please release him.”

IPOB: Kanu knows fate on fresh bail application, March 19

Nnamdi Kanu, the self acclaimed leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), will on March 19, know fate on his fresh bail application in the terrorism charges against him by the federal government. The trial judge, Justice Binta Nyako, fixed the date after taking arguments from his counsel, Alloy Ejimakor, praying for his bail, while counsel to the FG, Adegboyega Awomolo SAN objected to granting of bail. In his argument, Kanu prayed for bail to enable him to have unfettered access to his lawyers for his defense. He also claimed to be suffering from acute hypertension and acute heart disease, among other diseases. Responding, FG objected to the application on the ground that Kanu was once granted bail but jumped and fled the country. Awomolo posited that all the bail conditions set by the court were breached and violated and pleaded with the court to dismiss the request. On another motion before the court, Kanu prayed the court not to allow continuation of his trial until certain conditions were met by the federal government. Among others, he requested that Department of State Security (DSS)operatives be barred from interfering with his lawyers during visitation. He also asked that the court should compel the federal government to wear the clothes of his choice. Reacting, the federal government objected to the request on the ground that he has no right under any law to dictate how his trial should be conducted. Consequently, Awomolo asked the court to dismiss the motion on the ground that it was a gross abuse of the court process that must not be allowed. In the meantime, the matter will continue March 19 for ruling on the bail application.

Terrorism charge: Kanu, FG, engage new lawyers

The leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, Nnamdi Kanu, has engaged new lawyers in his defense of the terrorism offences brought against him by the Federal Government. It was gathered that a new team of lawyers to be led by PAM Ejiofor and Alloy Ejimakor will take over Kanu’s defense in the 7-count charges. In the same vein, the federal government engaged the services of Chief Adegboyega Awomolo to lead its legal team in the prosecution. Awomolo is taking over from David Kaswe SAN, from the Federal Ministry of Justice in Abuja, who has been handling the case for the federal government. No reason was given for the change in the legal team being led before now by Chief Mike Ozekhome SAN and Ifeanyi Ejiofor. Meanwhile, the court has already been jam parked by lawyers, traditional rulers, clergymen, family members, and sympathizers of the Biafra agitator present. Kanu has already been brought to the courtroom by the operatives of the Department of State Service DS$ Details later.

FG To Resume Trial Of IPOB Leader Nnamdi Kanu On Terrorism Charges

The Federal Government of Nigeria is set to recommence the trial of Nnamdi Kanu, the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), on terrorism charges. Following a Supreme Court judgment on December 15, 2023, permitting the continuation of the trial, proceedings are scheduled to resume on Monday, February 26. The trial will take place before Justice Binta Nyako at the Federal High Court in Abuja, as indicated in a notice viewed by reporters.  Notably, Kanu’s lead counsel, Mike Ozekhome, and the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice have been duly notified. Efforts have also been made to ensure Kanu’s presence in court, with the Director General of the Department of State Services (DSS) contacted for this purpose.  Kanu has been in DSS custody since his arrest in Kenya on June 19, 2021, and subsequent extradition to Nigeria. Initially facing 15-count terrorism charges, Justice Binta Nyako dismissed eight of the charges during the trial.  The Court of Appeal in Abuja later overturned the entire terrorism case in October 2022, citing the unlawful rendition of Kanu by the Nigerian government from Kenya. However, the Supreme Court, in a unanimous judgment delivered by Justice Garba Lawal on December 15, 2023, overturned the Court of Appeal’s decision, affirming the continuation of Kanu’s trial.  Despite acknowledging the irregularities in Kanu’s extradition, the Apex Court emphasized that such actions did not hinder the court’s authority to proceed with the trial, suggesting that the appropriate remedy for Kanu would be through a civil matter against the government.