Court Order: EFCC Cringes, Produces Godwin Emefiele

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in Abuja complied with the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory’s order regarding the case of former Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Godwin Emefiele. After being held in custody by Federal Government security agencies for over 150 days, Emefiele was brought to court in accordance with the order issued by Justice Olukayode Adeniyi. Former CBN Governor Emefiele, dressed in a yellow Babariga and a Hausa cap, entered the courtroom at around 12:30, accompanied by a group of EFCC operatives providing security. Outside the court premises, Emefiele’s friends and relatives eagerly awaited the Judge’s arrival for a hearing in his fundamental human rights case. Justice Adeniyi reaffirmed his order on Monday, which mandated that the detained former CBN governor be brought to court on November 8. This hearing’s purpose is to consider granting him bail. The court also emphasized the option for the anti-graft agency to grant bail to Emefiele in accordance with the law on fundamental human rights.
Updated: Appeal Court Nullifies Senator Abbo’s Election Victory In Adamawa North

The Court of Appeal in Abuja has rendered a unanimous verdict, sacking Senator Elisha Abbo, who represented Adamawa North Senatorial District. The court’s decision overturned the previous tribunal judgment that had confirmed Abbo, a member of the All Progressives Congress (APC), as the legitimate winner of the Senatorial seat. The appeal was lodged by Amos Yohanna, the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the election, who contested the results. Senator Abbo, known for a controversial incident in 2019, where he assaulted a lady in an Abuja sex toy shop, saw his re-election aspirations dashed by the appellate court’s ruling. As a result of the assault incident, a Federal Capital Territory High Court had previously ordered Senator Abbo to pay N50 million in damages to the assaulted lady, a judgment later upheld by the appellate court panel led by Justice Jamilu Tukur. Senator Abbo, acknowledging his removal from the legislative office, urged his supporters and constituents to remain composed.
Police arrest man with fresh human corpse in Ogun

The Police Command in Ogun said one Babatunde Kolawole, allegedly found with a fresh male human corpse, was arrested and handed over to its personnel at Ado/Odo-Ota area of the state. SP Omolola Odutola, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), who disclosed this in a statement on Sunday in Ota, Ogun, said the suspect was apprehended by Amotekun Corps. According to her, the Divisional Police Officer (DPO), Sango-Ota, CSP Saleh Dahiru, received a report by Amotekun and took the suspect, Kolawole, into custody. “Preliminary investigations have commenced into the incident. “Although the suspect did not deny the incident, he claims to be a native doctor who was attempting to revive the deceased. “However, it remains unclear how the suspect obtained the fresh corpse during the late hours of the night,” she said. The PPRO said that so far, no one had come forward to claim the body, and the suspect had not revealed any information about the origin of the corpse, to enable police to gather more information and solve the case. She added that the corpse had been transported to the Ifo General Hospital for an autopsy. Odutola enjoined members of the community to provide any useful information related to the incident to the police. She also said that the community members could assist the police in their investigation by helping to shed more light on the disturbing occurrence.
Suspended Adamawa REC petitions NBA over planned disciplinary action

The suspended Independent National Electoral Commission’s (INEC) Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) for Adamawa State, Hudu Yunusa Ari, Esq. has petitioned the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), urging it to stay action on the alleged moves to refer him to the Legal Practitioners Disciplinary Committee. Ari argued that the subject-matter of his actions is pending before the Adamawa State High Court in Charge No. HC/ADSY/15/2023, which was filed on July 5, 2023. He submitted that the move to discipline him will amount to double jeopardy since the matter is subjudice before a court of competent jurisdiction. “Mr President, your alleged anticipated referring me to the Legal Practitioners Disciplinary Committee may result in double jeopardy against me and a breach of my fair hearing contrary to the provisions of Section 36 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999, as Amended,” Ari stated. He expressed optimism that the alleged plans to refer him to the LPDC will remain only an allegation, adding that the “Nigeria Bar Association, has been in the forefront of advising against comments or taking steps on matters pending before courts of law in the overall interest of justice”. “It is in the light of the above, especially the pending cases and criminal charge on the same subject matter, that I request that you stay any action regarding the subject matter of my duties as Resident Electoral Commissioner during the Adamawa Gubernatorial Elections and to refrain from referring the matter to the Legal Practitioners Disciplinary Committee, as to do otherwise would violate sections 144, 145 and 149 of the Electoral Act; Section 36 of the Constitution and; will grossly undermine the proceedings in the various courts,” Ari wrote. The acknowledged copy the petition by Ari, titled: Re: Fallout Concerning My Role As Resident Electoral Commissioner Concerning The 2023 Adamawa State Governorship Election, Request For Stay of Action Thereto” was dated August 21, 2023, and addressed to the NBA President. Ari said his letter was informed by reports and speculations in the media space that he would be referred to the Legal Practitioners Disciplinary Committee following his role at the Adamawa State supplementary Gubernatorial Elections of the 15th April, 2023. As a member of the NBA and a law-abiding citizen of Nigeria, Ari told the NBA President that the circumstances which led to his actions as the INEC’s REC, which is allegedly the loadstar of his reference to the disciplinary committee is also the subject matter in suit no. FHC/ABJ/CS/935/2023; charge no. HC/ADSY/15/2023, and Election Petition No. EPT/AD/GV/01/2023, are all pending before superior courts of record in Nigeria. Ari explained that the various suits are seeking the interpretation of sections 144 and 145 of the Electoral Act, 2022, regarding the proprietary or otherwise of his declaration of Aishatu Ahmed Dahiru as winner of the Adamawa Gubernatorial Election. “Indeed, on 22nd July, 2023, I would have had an opportunity of presenting those facts at the Adamawa State Governorship Tribunal, for the benefit of the whole public and for posterity’s sake, but for the sustained objection of the Respopondents who objected to my being a witness in the Petition of Aishatu Ahmed Dahiru” Ari told the NBA. He reminded the NBA President, that as legal practitioners, “we have been admonished to refrain from making comments on issues that are still pending before the courts so as not to prejudice them. “With the preceding in mind, I am constrained, out of my deepest respect for the NBA and the rule of law, to only, briefly, state the facts, in order keep you abreast with the events that led to the subject matter of the alleged intention to bring me before the Disciplinary Committee and which, as I earlier mentioned, is still subject of various litigations. “I would continue to maintain the position, due to documents available to me and now before the Tribunal that on the 15th April, 2023, I was compelled by the prevailing circumstances at the time and for the need to uphold the integrity of the Commission to declare Aishatu Ahmed Dahiru as winner of the Adamawa Gubernatorial Election based on the vacuum created as a result of the complicity of the Returning Officer and two National Electoral Commissioners aimed at thwarting the transparency of the said elections. “It is pertinent to note that the Commission, who is the 1st Respondent in the Election Petition, which basically revolves round the lawfulness or otherwise of my declaration, resulting to my suspension from duty, litigations and the speculations of disciplinary action against me, listed 25 witnesses but could not produce any. The same applies to the 37 Respondent, PDP, who listed 15 witnesses. “Similarly, the 2nd Respondent, His Excellency, Governor Ahmadu Umaru Fintiri listed 15 witnesses but was only able to secure one hostile witness who gave evidence in support of the Petition,” Ari told the NBA President.
Alleged Fraud: Aviation Perm Sec sued over non-disclosure of contract details

As President Bola Ahmed Tinubu prepares to assign portfolios to his ministerial nominees who have been screened by the Senate, whoever becomes the Minister of Aviation may have a lawsuit waiting for them as a suit has been filed against the Permanent Secretary of the ministry, Dr Emmanuel Meribole. The Federal High Court, Abuja, will on September 2, hear the ex-parte motion instituted against Mr Meribole over failure to declare contract details of the ministry. The plaintiff, Incorporated Trustees of Patriotic Youth Organization of Nigeria, through their lawyer, Mr Peter Abang, in suit FHC/ABM/CS/969/2023, dated July 17, 2023, prayed the court for an order granting leave to the applicant to apply for Judicial Review to its reliefs. The plaintiff prays the court for a declaration that the 1st Respondent (Permanent Secretary) has a statutory and public duty to furnish the Applicant information and details concerning the 2nd Respondent as contained in the Applicant’s letter of request dated 23rd June 2023. He also prayed the court for a declaration that the refusal or failure of the 1st Respondent to respond to or comply with the Applicant’s request as contained in its letter dated 23 June 2023 constitutes a refusal failure of the 1st Respondent’s statutory and or public duty to the Applicant and is, therefore, unlawful, illegal, abuse of powers, abuse of discretion and ultra vires. Barrister Abang urged the court to make an order directing and compelling the 1st Respondent, either by its staff, officers, privies, servants or otherwise howsoever described to issue, comply with and or make available to the Applicant or his privies or Counsel, information and details of contracts and expenditures as contained in the Applicant’s letter of 23° June 2023 as well as accept payment of the appropriate fees from the Applicant forthwith. Some of the contract details being requested, in a letter dated June 23, 2023 include: Airstrip and other Capital Contracts by the Ministry from 2020 till date; list and locations of all Project Vehicles for the above mentioned contracts; list and locations of all Official vehicles the Ministry, including that of the former Permanent Secretary; Contract Executed from Over-head from 2022 December till date; details of Approved foreign Programmes for the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry and its Agencies from 2022 December till date; Performance Management System Contracts and Expenditures from 2020 till date; Any other relevant document in relation to the foregoing. According to the applicant, following investigation being undertaken by the Applicant into the activities of the 2nd Respondent, spearheaded by the 1st Respondent and his various activities in office, the Applicant has a reasonable suspicion that there has been several lapses and various misconducts by the 1st Respondent, in relation to the discharge of his duties. He said the request made in the letter is to enable the Applicant to compare the ownership of the assets and properties declared by the 1st Respondent in his Assets Declaration Forms as well as his lifestyle, with any other assets and properties which it suspects to be linked either to the 1st Respondent, his Children or even other third parties suspected to be acting for them.