Kidnap kingpin, Evans turns teacher in prison

Convicted kidnap kingpin Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike, known as Evans, has informed the Lagos State High Court that he now works as a teacher at the Kirikiri Correctional Centre after obtaining a diploma in economics. Evans, who is serving multiple sentences for kidnapping, has requested a plea bargain, offering to surrender his 14 trucks to the Lagos State Government.  He claimed that the proceeds from their sale should be given to his victims. This is his second attempt at a plea deal. He had previously approached the Ikeja High Court in January 2025 with a similar request. Evans, represented by his lawyer, told Justice Sherifat Sonaike that he had changed during his time in prison.  He said he received a scholarship from the Federal Government and is currently studying Political Science at the National Open University of Nigeria. He also underwent vocational training in welding and metal fabrication under the Federal Ministry of Labour and Productivity.  Documents proving his education and training were submitted to the court. During the hearing, the prosecutor, Alaba Kuku, confirmed that Evans and three co-defendants—Joseph Emeka, Victor Aduba, and Linus Opara—had shown interest in plea bargains. However, one of the defendants had not yet submitted an application. Justice Sonaike adjourned the case to April 17, 2025, for updates on the plea bargain requests.

Bedlam in Lagos Assembly following DSS, Police Invasion

It was bedlam at the Lagos State House of Assembly on Monday following invasion by officials of the DSS and the Nigeria Police, sparking outrage among the lawmakers.  The invasion occurred during a plenary session where 36 members were present.  The lawmakers immediately condemned the action, describing it as an attack on democracy and an embarrassment to the country. The Assembly demanded an explanation from the Director of the Lagos DSS, asking why the security forces took such drastic action.  They also called on the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, to look into the matter and provide a detailed report to the public.  Additionally, the lawmakers appealed to President Bola Tinubu to intervene and stop the situation from worsening. The lawmakers expressed strong disapproval of the invasion, arguing that it was an attempt to disrupt the legislative process and undermine the state’s democratic institutions.  They also reaffirmed their loyalty to the Speaker, emphasizing that no one could force them to remove him from office. Suspecting that influential individuals or groups may be responsible for the invasion, the lawmakers insisted on a full investigation to uncover those behind it.  They made it clear that they will not allow such actions to diminish the independence of the legislature or threaten democratic governance in the state.

Breaking: Obasa stages comeback bid, says I remain Lagos Assembly Speaker

download-79_1

Trouble is brewing in President Tinubu’s Lagos as impeached speaker, Mudashiru Obasa told a mammoth crowd at his Ikeja residence on Saturday that he remains the Speaker of the Lagos House of Assembly. Mr. Obasa says his impeachment did not follow due process, neither did the election of Mrs Mojisola Meranda as his replacement follow the law. He told the gathering of  APC members from the Mandate Group at his official residence in Ikeja on Saturday, that he remained the speaker until  the House impeaches him through due process. He  alleged that a  fake mace was used to install Meranda as speaker and that hundreds of policemen invaded the House on the day of his removal in order to  intimidate his loyalists. READ ALSO: Troops neutralise Abu Mosaje, terrorist commander, gun runner, 96 others Obasa also alleged  that some policemen invaded his official residence on the same day and prevented members of his family and every other person in the house from coming out. Obasa described all the alleged actions as illegalities,vowing to challenge his removal in court. He  also vowed to go back to the House and resume as speaker. ” The speakership is not Obasa’s title, it is like a general when you go to war, you may come out or you may not come back. So, I am not disturbed, perturbed or worried about the purported removal. “However, things must be done properly.The Lagos State Commissioner of Police led police officers to invade the State Assembly on the day of the removal, while over 200 policemen also invaded my private residence in Agege. “They also blocked the gate to my official residence, while they prevented members of my family from going out of the house. “I am not afraid of being removed, I have been  a member of the House for almost 22 years and  speaker for almost 10 years and I think i have contributed my quota. “But why did they have to break  the chamber and  use a fake mace to carry out  the removal? “If they say they don’t want me again it is fine , but let them follow due procedure. “My status in the House is that I believe strongly that I remain the speaker of the Assembly until the right procedure to remove  me is followed.”, he said. READ ALSO: Out-of-school children: UNICEF moves to cut number in Kano, Katsina, Jigawa He debunked the allegation that spent N16 billion to  construct a gate at the Assembly complex ,describing the allegation as  ridiculous. According to him ,it is  not possible to construct any  gate with N16 billion. Obasa also debunked the allegation that he bought  40 Hilux vans  for N40 billion as speaker . The former speaker said he had not done anything wrong to warrant his removal ,adding he had lived up to expectations serving as lawmaker for over two decades. Obasa said he believed so much in the House Assembly and would never partake in its destruction. He appreciated members of the Governance Advisory Council (GAC) and Gov. Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu for the love for the party and the state. READ ALSO: FCT doctors suspend warning strike, following Wike’s intervention Obasa also thanked the First Lady, Mrs Oluremi Tinubu for her support  , and President Bola  Tinubu, who he said would always be his father. 32 out of the 40 members on Jan. 13 removed Obasa at a plenary over allegation of gross misconduct and financial impropriety. The House immediately replaced him with Meranda .

Tinubu Mourns Former Lagos Head of Service Sunny Ajose 

 Chief Akinsanya Sunny Ajose, a former Lagos State Head of Service, has passed away at the age of 78. He died early Thursday, January 16, 2025.   President Bola Ahmed Tinubu extended his condolences to the Lagos State Government, the All Progressives Congress (APC), and the people of Badagry, where Ajose was a respected leader.  Tinubu recalled working with Ajose during his tenure as governor, acknowledging his contributions to reforming the civil service and supporting development efforts in the state.   Ajose’s influence extended beyond his civil service role.  He was a key representative of Badagry in the Lagos State Governance Advisory Council and a trusted figure within the APC.   Born on February 10, 1946, in Badagry, Ajose pursued higher education in the United States, earning degrees from the University of Illinois, Chicago, and Governors State University.  He joined the Lagos Civil Service in 1979 and rose to become Head of Service in 2004.   President Tinubu offered prayers for Ajose’s family and described him as a committed leader who made lasting contributions to Lagos State.

Impeachment: Lagos Assembly offers the olive branch

The  Lagos State House of Assembly has pledged harmonious relationship with the executive arm of government. The Chairman, House Committee on Information, Mr. Stephen Ogundipe (APC- Oshodi/Isolo I) ,made the pledge in an interview with journalists on Monday in Lagos. Mr. Ogundipe  made the pledge following the impeachment of Mr Mudashiru Obasa as Speaker on Monday. A total of 32 out of the 40 lawmakers ,at an emergency plenary, impeached Obasa via voice votes  over alleged gross misconduct. The Assembly subsequently elected and swore in  Deputy Speaker ,Mrs Mojisola Meranda (APC-Apapa I) to replace Obasa. READ ALSO: Air Peace Air fairs: Keyamo lashes out at FCCPC The House also suspended the Clerk of the Assembly, Mr Olalekan Onafeko,indefinitely during the plenary. Ogundipe said under the new Speaker, the Assembly would ensure the executive arm of government ,led by Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu,,  enjoy the support of the legislature. The lawmaker said a good  relationship between the executive and legislature was necessary to achieve  the  development goals of the  current administration in the state. According to him, the new Speaker has shown commitment and passion to collaborate with other arms of government, especially the executive, for the success of the administration . READ ALSO: Kano Emirate Tussle: Kingmaker appeals Court of Appeal judgement “Today,  there was a change of leadership in the Lagos State House of Assembly as the former  Speaker, Mr Mudashiru Obasa, was removed and his former  deputy ,Mrs Mojisola Miranda ,was  elected as new Speaker. “There is no division in the House over the development .All members have pledged allegiance to the new Speaker, Mrs  Mojisola Meranda , and she has since settled down in office. “She has assured of legislature’s  harmonious working relationship with the executive and that all hands must be on deck to ensure continued  development  of  the state,” Ogundipe said.

Tinubu’s contemptuous of Nigerians

Whether the mounting allegations of governance malpractices against Tinubu are true or not, it has to be noted that the tell-tale signs of the proclivity of the man have been in the public domain for at least 25 years.

Don’t Use Oro To Threaten Protesters – Gbadebo

Former Lagos State Labour Party governorship candidate, Gbedebo Rhodes-Vivour, has advised against using the traditional Yoruba ritual, Oro, to threaten protesters. Gbadebo Rhodes-Vivour accused the All Progressives Congress (APC) of assaulting Yoruba traditional institutions. He said the Yoruba are known for justice and fairness through upholding their traditions. Gbadebo’s statement on Thursday followed an announcement on the Lagospedia X handle, on Wednesday. The handle announced that traditionalists in Lagos have fixed Oro to hold from August 1 to 15. Lagos State government was accused of sponsoring the Oro event to shun the planned “EndbadgovernanceinNigeria” protest slated on August 1. Gbadebo said, “The campaign by APC propaganda handles to use ORO – a sacred ritual in Yoruba land – to threaten protesters is an assault on our traditional institution. Casualizing centuries of a hallowed ritual with such juvenile intent debases our culture and corrupts our revered institution. “The Yoruba are obsessed with Justice and fairness, not only as a guiding principle but also as a defining feature. It explains why, although the subjects recognize their king as an authority second only to the gods, the community does not tolerate high-handedness on the part of the king. Whenever they perceive such, there is bound to be a protest.” He said while he supports peace and patience from the youths, the right to peaceful assembly must be respected by traditional leaders. “I urge patience and restraint from our youth but defend their right to peaceful assembly. More importantly, I call on our respected traditional leaders to condemn our tradition’s desecration and guard our revered institutions jealously,” he added.

After Lagos assault, EFCC arrests 27 suspected internet Fraudsters

Antigraft: EFCC Secures 1,688 Convictions In 9 Months

Operatives of the Benin Zonal Directorate of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, on Wednesday June 26, 2024 arrested 27 suspected internet fraudsters at different locations within Benin City. The suspects were arrested following actionable intelligence on their suspected involvement in computer- related fraud. Items recovered from them include the sum of N590,000, nine exotic cars, laptops and phones The suspects will be charged to court as soon as investigations are concluded. This is coming after the operatives of the anti-graft agency assaulted a member of staff of Regional Hotel in Lagos in a night raid.

Nigeria Police Seal NLC Office in Lagos Ahead of Planned Protest

In a move to thwart the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) planned nationwide protest against hunger and hardship, the Nigeria Police Force has sealed the NLC office in Lagos State.  The protest, scheduled for February 27 and 28, is aimed at address economic challenges faced by Nigerians. Hassan Taiwo, national coordinator of the Education Rights Campaign (ERC), shared an image on Monday morning revealing armed police personnel stationed in front of the NLC headquarters in the Yaba area of Lagos State.  Some individuals within the building remain uncertain about the unfolding developments. The NLC had issued a 14-day ultimatum to the Nigerian government regarding widespread hardship, leading to the organization of the protest.  Despite warnings from the Department of State Services (DSS) and the Attorney General of the Federation, Lateef Fagbemi (SAN), urging cancellation, the NLC remained steadfast in its decision. Accusing the government of planning to attack peaceful rallies and alleging involvement of certain groups in causing violence against protestors, the NLC President emphasized the right to peaceful protest.  The statement also expressed concerns about potential deployment of state-sponsored terror, highlighting the NLC’s determination to proceed with the protest despite government warnings and concerns from various quarters.

Appeal Court Dismisses PDP’s Appeal Against Sanwo-Olu’s Victory

Court Dismisses PDP’s Appeal Against Sanwo-Olu’s Victory

In a significant development, the appeal court in Lagos has upheld the tribunal’s ruling, validating Babajide Sanwo-Olu and Obafemi Hamzat’s positions as Governor and Deputy Governor of Lagos State, respectively. The court’s justices, comprising Justice Yargata Nimpa, Justice Samuel Bola, and Justice Paul Bassey, reached a unanimous decision to dismiss the Peoples Democratic Party’s (PDP) appeal on grounds of lacking merit. The affirmation of Sanwo-Olu and Hamzat’s victory by the appeal court solidifies their mandate following the tribunal’s initial judgment. Justice Yargata Nimpa led the delivery of this pivotal verdict, cementing the continuation of the duo in their respective roles within the Lagos State government.